+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV – Developer Diary 1 – The world is at your feet

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Europa Universalis IV – Developer Diary 1 – The world is at your feet

Welcome to the first installment in our development diary series for Europa Universalis IV (EU4)! Last week's little prologue doesn't really count

If the world of Europa Universalis IV is your playground, then the map is the sandbox – this is where you shape your plans and turn various traits associated with the territories into mighty empires. If you are familiar with Paradox Development Studio (PDS) games, then you already know that the map is almost everything. The map is where the magic happens. You know it, we know it.

Crusader Kings II (CK2) was a large step forward in terms of visuals for us, but in Europa Universalis IV, we hope to take it one step further and add a few bells and whistles,
    because we really want the world to come alive for you. This means making the map more intuitive, more attractive and something you won't mind staring at for hours on end. The feeling and atmosphere created by the map is important and will not make your eyes bleed. We promise.

To understand where we are going, it's important to understand where we've been. In Europa Universalis III (EU3), we built the map with quite low resolution. We increased the resolution in the Divine Wind expansion, which helped a lot with how the map looked but the provinces still felt a little weird – the borders didn't look as natural as we wanted them.

At this point, we haven't yet come to the phase where the borders will be tweaked, but our ultimate goal is to make borders feel smooth and adapted to the real life terrain and historical borders.

We occasionally get comments from our players that our province borders are ahistorical – that they do not accurately reflect the composition of nations or their historical shape.
    So I want to clarify that when we make the designs of the provinces But in the long run, historical shapes for provinces are not really relevant.

“What?” I hear you say? “Did I hear that right?”

Yes, and there are good reasons for it.

A game map has to communicate a lot of information quickly, so first of all you need to be sure you can fit all the necessary graphical elements into the province.

Second, you need to have a rather convex shape of a province. If you don΄t do this, you'll end up with all sorts of unintuitive thoughts when it comes to where units should move and how quickly.

Third, you need to bear in mind the number of connections a province has to neighboring territories. The number of neighbors is a crucial factor in military matters, and for game balance purposes.

So, if we valued history over balance or ease of play, an historical province of Warmia would be small, serpentine and surrounded by a concave province. This presents a lot of problems for a province-based game as we mentioned earlier.

The number of provinces you have on a map is limited by the number that one person can reasonably handle. Since provincial development and movement happens in real time, you need to make it relatively easy for players to locate and take action in a given province. We've learned what an optimal amount of provinces is, and in EU4, we aim to have a small increase of about ten percent cimpared to EU3. There will be significant changes, primarily in Eastern Europe, Japan & India, but also in other places on the map.

Here is a quick look of a small version of the underlying map defining which province is which, as it looks right now, before the major province overhaul.

Gameplay, of course, is only one reason to make a map. The play area should be pleasing to the eye so that it makes the world come alive and immerses you more deeply in the history. So in EU4, we have added back in the topology that we removed in the expansion Divine Wind and added trees to the map.
    We also took the colored border system from Crusader Kings II (CK2) which makes playing on the terrain mapmode a more attractive option for many players.

As you may have noticed, we have changed map projection to the one we had in Victoria 2; a map that has been received positively by pretty much everyone in the community.
    We are also making the map more of an interface tool for players, with cleared on-map interface windows, as you've seen in CK2.

We aim for a "believable world"-feeling on our maps. You will see the seasons changing. You will see when winter is coming and when it melts away to give room for a glorious summer. Mountains will rise and cast shadow over your provinces, you will see reflections in the water, ships with rippling sails and birds flying over the map.
    The map will make information accessible and make it easier to get the big picture for when you build your empire.

But remember that eye-catching improvements are not just there to be pretty!
    Many will show you very important things that affect how you play on the map. Your actions in Europa Universalis IV are affected by the season changes and the terrain and we want to make that visible for you.

Here is an example of the Nile Delta, with shadows, trees, and all other nice new things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	map.png‎
Views:	93103
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	63005   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic_2.png‎
Views:	83207
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	63006  

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Pater Familias of WW-forum Rysz's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

First!

I just looked whether there would be a DD already. Happy me!

I especially like the CK2-borders. That would surely add a good reason to not play in Political Map View all the timd.

Also it's good that you explain why you make provinces the way you do. It's a recurring discussion topic, to which there is now a good answer. "Just read DDI-EUIV"
    WW-lite: Villager (22) Wolf (12) Seer (6). Of which; Draw (1), Eaten (11) as seer (3), Lost otherwise (5), Lynched as wolf (11), as villager (4), as seer (1)
    Won as villager in WWL LXXX: The Grey Coat, WWL XCIC: Snow Crash and WWL C: Code Geass. Won as seer in WWL LXXXIX: The Dark Knight and WWL CXXXI. Won as WOLF in WWL CLX

-------------
    WW: Wolf (4) Cultist (3) Hunter (2) Witness (2), Villager (3), Rival (1), Liar (1). Of which; Lynched as wolf (3), as cultist (2), as witness (2), Eaten as villager (1), as Liar (1), lost as rival (1)
    Subbing Winning Wolf in WW XXXVIII (Thistletooth), Subbed Winning Hunter in WW XXXIX: Cavemen (Olaus Petrus), Winning Cultist in WW XL
    Winning Hunter in WW XLIII: Escape from Monkey Island, Winning Cursed Seer's Apprentice in Ironhead's The Game of Werewolf (XLIX)

-------------
    Svenska Varulv: Bybor (1), Rival Kultist (1), en siare. Vann som en bybo i Varulv XIII, en siare i Varulv XV

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

This world looks amazing. I would like to continue the world of CKII to EUIV. Take Europe to the world. It is written.
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

Success depends on forethought videonfan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Looks really pleausiring for the eye

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Looks good! I am glad you are attempting to put an end to the endless discussions about which province should look what way, I think we all understand they can't all be geographically correct.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference in the map projections between EU3 and V2?
    Gone underground.

Second Lieutenant Communitnerd92's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

so nice fellers, keep it coming
    ☭Workers of the world unite ☭- Karl Marx

That soldier looks awesome too, M&B style.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesRome Gold500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Downloadable beta, or it didn't happen...
    Think you're good at EU3? Try your hand at our Games of the Month: May, 80 Years War, and June, Henry and the Dragon!

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor The Glory
    Iron CrossVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Pride of Nations
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

looks not good enough for fareast
    When the holy Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara had truly grasped the transcendent wisdom, he realized that visible form is only illusion........

Arnoldson Fnordgren Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Looks incredible. Congrats on producing a better map than CivV.

Bad mojo Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Unbelieveable, if you compare this to the first EUIII map then you can see how much progress with the new engine has been made.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLegioLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

the map is just sooo pleasing ^___^ also looking forward to see how the new provinces will work out.

Keep on the good work, i have no doubts about that you are making a great game.

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

This looks great!
    My AARs: Subcontinental Subtleties (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - webcomic; complete - *multi-award-winning* --- A Hyderabad Holiday Special (Victoria 2, v2.31) - complete --- Sing a Septinsular Song (Ionian Islands) (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - complete - *Winner of the VictAARian Cross, for Best Completed 2011 AAR* --- Tunis Delenda Est (Victoria 2, v1.2) - complete --- Albania Finds its Place in the World (Victoria 2, v1.2 with minor mods) - complete --- Australia: Rise of a Constellation (Victoria 2, v1.2 with minor mods) - complete --- Belgium: Rise of the Choco Lords (Victoria 2, v1.1) - complete

My mods: The 1948 Arab-Israeli War (battlescenario for HoI2, Doomsday and Armageddon. Current version: 1.1)

My inkwell

500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Here is a quick look of a small version of the underlying map defining which province is which, as it looks right now, before the major province overhaul.
    When will we see the first version of the new province map? Is it possible that before you release the final map you ask for the players input on the naming of provinces and capitals?

The graphics on the other hand look totally awesome! I can't wait to see those little ships sailing on my screen...

I like the look of the map.

One Question:
    You said "We are also making the map more of an interface tool for players, with cleared on-map interface windows, as you've seen in CK2." What exactly does this mean? EU3 has also an on-map interface, doesn't it? What does clearing means in this context?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Did I hear Japan?
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Some of those provinces look really big, in particular those two huge provinces in australia so i'm assuming they cannot be colonised or explored, right? like permanent terra incognita?

Wow, very pretty
    Currently developing a 650 BC mod for EU3. Help appreciated!
    Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR.
    Creator of RickRand, a random scenario generator for Victoria:Revolutions (current version: 0.9)
    Member of the 200k Club
    Owner of an <= Official Necromancy (The Good Kind) Cookie (thanks dinofs)
    Owner of the SAS Award for Dedication

Quote Originally Posted by takedown47 View Post
    Some of those provinces look really big, in particular those two huge provinces in australia so i'm assuming they cannot be colonised or explored, right? like permanent terra incognita?
    Those are EU3 provinces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast