• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Saithis

Lady of the North Star
106 Badges
Nov 14, 2008
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Magicka 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
kingsofqritani.png

Update Library:

AAR Synopsis:
This is just me having some fun little play with EU: Rome, which I was able to acquire pretty cheaply recently via an Amazon sale. This is only my second ever game so it's nothing too ambitious in my mind - I'll be aiming to unite the British Isles under a civilized Pictish people, although the road will not be easy! I've played this game well in advance so advice will probably come too late to help, although if there is something I am completely unaware of as a newbie feel free to chip in. Better a lesson learned too late than not at all.

This will be written as a first-person narrative through the forgotten accounts of the recently literized Pictish Chiefs on their road to reaching a modern Celtic state. First update will come in just a moment, and I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:
kingsofqritani.png

Excerpt 1:

chiefvodenosid.png

I am the Chief of these Lands; master of all I survey, strongest of arm and sword. The Picts are proud people, and I am the proudest and richest of them all. We live in an ancient land, the land of our gods and ancestors. I claim descendance from the Gods, as do all the clans that live under my reign - together we are stronger than any southerner who dares cross our path.

pictland.png

Our land, however, is beset by turmoil and conflict. We prepare now to ride against our enemies, the Elitovids as is the ancient custom of our ways. This 'writing' is new to us, yet the High Druid insists it shall elevate our people. I have agreed to learn it, and teach it to my children. He has taught me much, and I begin to now see the value of words. Had we known what ancestors and gods thought of us long ago, mayhaps the chaos of today could be averted. You would not know of what chaos I speak, however, so allow me to start at the beginning...

disputesofhonour.png

It all started because of our laws, as ancient as the rocks themselves and as rigid. All disputes within our realm are settled between the clans themslves, and the High Chief has no right to intervene. So it was that the lesser clans would feud amongst themselves, pleased with the old ways which they had forever found suitable. To the south our great enemies grew in strength and power, and threatened even us in our high mountains. I purposed to change that: to unite the clans further and to ascend ourselves to something greater...

damnonii.png

The southerners are violent and aggressive - I can hardly remember a year we were not involved in some kind of clash with them. My father's wife was no Pict, and I have heard tell that his father was also from the south. Nonetheless, our family grew to unite the tribes and bring them into council. I told them of my dream of conquering the southerners and bringing all the people of Qritani together. They were impressed by bold words of conquest, but our armies were too weak. Marching into battle with little more than wooden spears, bows and the occasional iron axe or sword amongst the Chief's guards, we had little in the way of success against our enemies. The southern hills teemed with iron so abundant, hunters who strayed too far south claimed it spilled out of the hills and into the valleys freely. We must have it, yet we cannot...yet.

civilizing.png

I hatched a bold plan with the support of the High Druid: we know how to cultivate grasses and vegetables, yet I believe this can be more. We would descend from our safe mountains until we reached the great southern river of Chluaidh. We have done so, bringing volunteers from all the villages and tribes of the highlands. We have built a grand village upon a crossing, with nearly five hundred men and their wives and children now living there in just three years time. The river gives us ample water and the plants grow as they never have before in the Highlands. This is a home of dreams, but it has not come without a price...

tribalsplit.png

One of our rival tribes, the Duratids, has denounced the settlement and refused to leave the hills. Chluaidh grows and our people here are rich with food and fur, but they see such a grand settlement as an insult to the gods. I defy them to name me one god who fears men, but nonetheless they sought to leave our covenant and flee south. This I denied them, and with our settlement's control of the largest passage, they dared not march out yet in force. These were only the beginnings, however, and soon they found the support and allegiance of the largest clan in the area: the Elitovids.

newlands.png

The Duratids now came to me and asked that we either disperse Chluaidh or else they would move their great clan south of the river, by force if necessary. I needed them, as much as I hated to admit it - the land needs Chluaidh and it needs the Duratids. So, in spite of their disgust, I attempted to persuade them to stay with gift where swords had failed. They were not impressed. That was twelve sun rises before this day, and now they have made a great camp in the hills overlooking Chluaidh. I can see their fires in the distance as I write this.

pictishrevolt.png

I have instructed the High Druid to make copies of this and have them distributed to those few Chiefs who are still loyal, along with whatever disciples who can write these symbols. He has gladly obeyed, and claims he has seen a vision of nature itself approving of our actions. Whether it is nature, the old gods or simply men, I will ensure I am remembered. I will fight the Elitovids until the death if I must, whatever it costs me. Tomorrow, we go to war. Remember me, my people, and remember what I have started here. Let this be the new beginning for the Picts. I depart now to my doom...

YAYY!! Another Saithis AAR and of the best game around!

Good luck with this, the Picts may not be the easiest ones to conquer the world with but you have one passenger onboard :)

a brave choice ... this should be a fun ride to see if you can take over the British Isles (actually surviving will be pretty impressive). Neat tussle between those who want to stay at home bothering the midges and running around the glens and those with a wee bit more ambition?

.. and of course, more Rome AARs means more chance of Rome 2 (doesn't it?)

YAYY!! Another Saithis AAR and of the best game around!

Good luck with this, the Picts may not be the easiest ones to conquer the world with but you have one passenger onboard :)

Yay! Another Wave comment! :D

I don't expect this to be easy, nor do I want it to be. I don't have ambitions of world conquest but of surviving and turning the Pictish people into a powerful, respected culture. Then if Paradox ever releases a Dark Ages game I can convert it over and begin a humongous mega-campaign!

a brave choice ... this should be a fun ride to see if you can take over the British Isles (actually surviving will be pretty impressive). Neat tussle between those who want to stay at home bothering the midges and running around the glens and those with a wee bit more ambition?

.. and of course, more Rome AARs means more chance of Rome 2 (doesn't it?)

I'll drag them kicking and screaming into the 3rd century BC whether they like it or not! It'll take quite a long time for my civilization rating to reach the required threshold to colonize, though, so there's going to be lots of waiting, staving off angry clansmen and hoping the barbarians don't just stomp over and destroy and destroy me outright... Rome 2 would be a lot of fun!

kingsofqritani.png

Excerpt 2:

[Commentary by Marcus Claudius Tranquillus, Roman Landowner]

rebelsdefeated.png

I don't know how we did it, but we won...the hills were teeming with Duratid and Elitovid men, so thick you could hardly see the grass for their numbers. We met them on the crest of the hill but took the peak early, forcing them to fight upwards. Our spears were longer and more of my men had iron tips to deliver deadly blows. Perhaps it was luck - or perhaps not. Perhaps the gods wished for us to win this battle and for myself to reign. Long live the new order, long live Cluaidh.

fertilityblessing.png

Regardless, the High Druid believe it was a blessing. He has told our people that this is the new way of life and the lesser Druids have spread the word. They flock now to the river valley in numbers never seen before. More villages appear on the river bed and we have had great success over this year in farming. There is plenty of food for everyone and with my enemies defeated, my place among the great ancestral names of the past cannot be denied. Just as my father united the clans before me, I lead them to a new era. Our enemies beware. [I note the lack of any name mentioned in these accounts of Sinorix's father, nor of his ancestors. It is interesting to note that several other clan leaders from the relevant period have claimed to be the ones who united the clans. Who deceives and who tells the truth, I wonder?]

unexpectedsupport.png

My brother has long been my rival and enemy, but even he sees the profit of Cluaidh. In the trial to face the Duratid and Elitovid rebels, he denounced their uprising and pointed to all of the good that the grand village has done for us. Barbarians to the south threaten us and it is only our unity that keeps us alive in the long run. I hoped to close the ties with my long estranged brother, but he is unwilling to forgive our common past so easily. Nonetheless, he agrees that Cluaidh must become the centre of our clans and a common meeting ground for all - this is progress.

stockadesdiscovery.png

He has even gone to the effort of suggesting grand improvements - ones I too can agree with. He has created a plan for a great wall of logs to be driven into the ground, with equally vicious spikes jutting from the base to threaten men who might try to climb it. If we can create some kind of entrance that can be opened, yet resists as strongly while closed, then no longer will enemies be able to easily raid Cluaidh while we are out. I like this idea, but it will take some time to find enough logs of sufficient size.

forumdiscovery.png

Other tribes have also brought interesting ideas to the forefront. Several of the lesser clans have brought forth the idea of a common area to be built within Cluaidh where clans from our lands and from afar would be able to barter and trade freely. By turning Cluaidh into a common meeting ground, we could lure not only traders from the south but also better organize and protect the deals of our own people. They believe Cluaidh's future lies in this, and have offered themselves up as neutral parties to judge the fairness of negotiations and keep the peace. I will consider their proposal.

walesn.png

The southern people may also consider it. Cluaidh has become of interest to two of the great clans far to the south. They have sent representatives to discuss the possibility of trade - their wood and iron would be of great use to us, and there are no finer furs than that which the Pictish people can offer. [This is almost certainly a reference to the Ordovices and Trinovantes cultures, who I understand were once powerful realms in the south of the island. Britannia might have been a far easier land to defeat if these backwards nations had grown to power and not the Picts!] Their people have arrived late in the night as I write this, and they are already impressed by the grand village's success. Our plans of a great stockade and the possibility of the meeting ground will certainly impress them more. I will write again next week, and I hope to bring good news.

oldagedeath.png

[Sinorix left no further notes (or if he did they have since been lost), making this the most complete accounts of his life known. We have a few supporting statements from their priest known only as Cathasach, but they only briefly mention Sinorix or his work and mostly focus on the Druidic affairs. Verbal tradition offers little in the way of supporting information and I am afraid this is all we know of the founder of today's Pictish civilization.]

Last edited:
An ambitious goal you've set yourself! Not to mention one that will take some time, but I suppose all worthy goals take time to reach.

Do you have a plan for reaching the civilization threshold for colonization in a reasonable period of time?

An ambitious goal you've set yourself! Not to mention one that will take some time, but I suppose all worthy goals take time to reach.

Do you have a plan for reaching the civilization threshold for colonization in a reasonable period of time?

Although I don't really intend to show it on-screen for story purposes, I'm going to abuse the living hell out of the trade system. I studied the mechanics pretty hard in my first Rome game and found that Trade seems to have a way bigger impact on civilization growth than internal affairs. With this in mind, my very first act was to try to secure a trade route with Alexandria for her delicious civilization % and grain combo (for the fast pop growth rate, which I need in order to colonize Damnonii). It's a little gamey, but if I were to not interact with the civilized world, I'd be here far longer and probably wouldn't have any chance by the time Rome or whoever else reached me. That's no fun for AAR purposes.

now there is a bit of foreshadowing to play with.

like the shift of voice, and focus, this is developing rather nicely

Glad you like it. We'll see how the next writer's unfolding of Ancient Pictland goes...and only time will tell what the Roman writer meant...

Hmm Most interesting. Will the Picts become powerful. OR will a barbarian horde show up and smash them into the ground.

It's hard to tell, kinda 50/50 to be honest! There's no way to get the required colonization level before the barbarians march out in force, of that I'm sure, so it comes down to surviving them when they do rise up.

Interesting approach - different from the 'usual' (in as far as something like three AARs I've paid attention to can be called 'usual') path of taking a major/medium power.

I like the relatively modest goals (although it might be just as hard to pull of as a historical Roman Empire - the lack of civilization must be a severe drag). I expect the updates will cover quite some ground, while you're slowly building up. Here's hoping those barbarians (barbarians? But you're in Scotland?!? Several centuries before the Romans show up! How could there be anything more barbaric... Wait, Scottish (Scotch? Never know the distinction) readers in attendance. Never mind, I didn't say anything)... Anyway, here's hoping the rampaging hordes will leave you in peace long enough for you to grow.

This almost feels like a Civ game.

And everyone knows the starting era of Civ is the best era. May your stone-age naivite persist long!

:D

I hope you succeed as I have played the Picti many times and each time failed to make it to civing. One time I made it to within five points of it when a barbarian horde 45,000 in size just randomly appeared on my doorstep. I'm still not sure how as I had raided all the barbarian lands in the British empire to level 1 risk. Good luck. :)

Interesting approach - different from the 'usual' (in as far as something like three AARs I've paid attention to can be called 'usual') path of taking a major/medium power.

I like the relatively modest goals (although it might be just as hard to pull of as a historical Roman Empire - the lack of civilization must be a severe drag). I expect the updates will cover quite some ground, while you're slowly building up. Here's hoping those barbarians (barbarians? But you're in Scotland?!? Several centuries before the Romans show up! How could there be anything more barbaric... Wait, Scottish (Scotch? Never know the distinction) readers in attendance. Never mind, I didn't say anything)... Anyway, here's hoping the rampaging hordes will leave you in peace long enough for you to grow.

I thought it'd be fun to take a nobody minor and try to elevate them up to something powerful. The Picts have terrible civ values etc. but they do have one advantage of being literally as far away from the major civilization centres as humanly possible. I have a lot of time to prepare before the Romans reach me...if I can survive the Barbarians, that is. Nevermind how barbaric I already am. ;)

This almost feels like a Civ game.

And everyone knows the starting era of Civ is the best era. May your stone-age naivite persist long!

The other day Ugg discovered how to make fire. It was our civilization's happiest moment. :')

I hope you succeed as I have played the Picti many times and each time failed to make it to civing. One time I made it to within five points of it when a barbarian horde 45,000 in size just randomly appeared on my doorstep. I'm still not sure how as I had raided all the barbarian lands in the British empire to level 1 risk. Good luck. :)

I think I've done pretty well, but that might just be luck combined with mechanics abuse. I do have the luck of the gods when it comes to games - things just always to inevitably turn in my favour.

And here we go!

kingsofqritani.png

Excerpt 3

O2r2g.png

I am Elitovid, and this land is now mine. The Clans have chosen me for the strength and power of my family, and with the fears of the conservative lords I have ascended to a position of great power. I will not do as they wish though - I will not reverse the great strides made by my predecessor. I have seen the wealth and power it brings...power that from henceforth shall be mine.

u5LTy.png

We have made the lords pledge their fealty and in return, we offer them patronage for their loyalty. We defend them in wars, uphold the ancient laws of our people and ensure their rights are protected. The clan leaders are pleased with this, and no longer see me as an enemy to hate but a friend to protect them. I am beloved by my people and so I have the freedom to expand the power of the Picts at my whim.

38ygh.png

To ensure the greater power of my army, I have traded for iron from the southern clans. Word has reached me that a great warband swept south from Damnonii and devastated the southern lands before settling in the territory of the Ordovices. We have our opportunity to seize Damnonii for ourselves, but it shall require great investment. We now have men trained to turn iron into swords and helms. I have ordered the clansmen to give us hides to protect us in battle and they have come back with a remarkably tough and tanned contraption they call 'armour'. It is resistant to wooden weapons and can take the edge off an iron blow should one's shield arm miss. I approve highly of this new creation, and have asked them to bring many hundreds.

bEsF3.png

It is not just my army that has flourished, but also our clansmen. One of the men in Cluaidh, far from the river, found his crops drying one summer. He gathered together many men of Cluaidh and they dug a great channel from the river to his fields, bringing the water directly to it. Although it took days to dig, his crops flourished eternally and soon all of the outlying farms began to dig such ditches. Within a few years, men across all land of the Picts were beginning to adopt this approach - his genius shall be remembered.

lvUjc.png

The High Druid has presented me plans for a great building of worship, a mighty henge where we might commune with the gods and the spirits of nature itself. I have approved the plan, if he can find the resources to build it. It could become a mighty monument of my rulership, so that people will remember me long into the future.

6ZkwW.png

Last year I marched south with twenty hundreds of men, armed with swords of iron and armour. Against the southern clans, we were an unstoppable maelstrom of destruction. The barbarians were cut down in droves as we fought in the lowlands. We burnt any village or camp we came across.

5jmUp.png

The southern barbarians have traditionally been feared as mighty enemies who we must hide from. No longer. Now that many of them have migrated south, it is we who are the feared conquerors. We drove the Damnonii from their lands and killed many of their people. These lands now belong to us.

hiDtZ.png

Many Damnonii have fled south of these lands, which Picts eagerly flow into. We have claimed them and the hills of iron for our own needs and desires. I have ordered the establishment of more grand villages in this land and the preparation of defences for an inevitable attack by the ousted Damnonii. At the rivers Ituna and Crag we shall establish wooden stockades to protect our new lands from southern threat. It is the first time in many years we have expanded our lands, and I sense a great future is ahead of us. The High Druid concurs.

So you discovered Irrigation! Quick, build workers! Farms everywhere, hammers be damned!

And the cult centre/temple idea isn't silly at all. That's how Rome became the pre-eminent Latin city.

Great stuff! Classy as always, both the writing and the images.

Cool choice of "nation" as well, my experiences with the Picts are very similar to Fire and Ash's... Well done getting the colonization going, how long into the game was that? I'm assuming not that long judging by the level 1 techs that were coming in a bit before.

Nice! I can't believe that you already have Damnonii.

Do you plan on conquering the southern provinces of Brittania soon, or will you wait until you border them over land?

Whoa! You've already doubled the size of your empire! You are truly unstoppable! ;)

Ariovistus sounds a bit smug, but I guess he has a lot to brag about: conquest, metal weapons, irrigation, the adoration of his chiefs... Things are looking pretty good for the Picts.

well that is a well managed expansion.

not so sure about the need for irrigation though? Last time I checked (ie looked out the window) there was no evidence of a lack of water in Scotland :)

Not much need, no, but I wanted to keep the Civ-like atmosphere. :p

So you discovered Irrigation! Quick, build workers! Farms everywhere, hammers be damned!

And the cult centre/temple idea isn't silly at all. That's how Rome became the pre-eminent Latin city.

Precisely! Unfortunately mechanics mean I won't have it that easy.

Great stuff! Classy as always, both the writing and the images.

Cool choice of "nation" as well, my experiences with the Picts are very similar to Fire and Ash's... Well done getting the colonization going, how long into the game was that? I'm assuming not that long judging by the level 1 techs that were coming in a bit before.

It took slightly more than 31 years to complete the colonization of Damnonii - this included abusing the trade mechanics as much as possible while getting a lot of Advance or Perish events (might be tied to the high admin skills of my leaders? not sure...) Regardless, it was a 50/50 success rate because somewhere around the 20-25 year mark, a massive horde of barbarians came stomping through Damnonii and decided to go south instead of north. My game could have ended very quickly there.

Nice! I can't believe that you already have Damnonii.

Do you plan on conquering the southern provinces of Brittania soon, or will you wait until you border them over land?

You will have to see when I update tonight!

Whoa! You've already doubled the size of your empire! You are truly unstoppable! ;)

Ariovistus sounds a bit smug, but I guess he has a lot to brag about: conquest, metal weapons, irrigation, the adoration of his chiefs... Things are looking pretty good for the Picts.

Dun dun dunnn! He's done quite well so far, but I have to remember I'm still an insect compared to the Romans. My mighty army of 4,000 champions can't even hold off one Roman Legion, let alone multiples.

Regardless, it was a 50/50 success rate because somewhere around the 20-25 year mark, a massive horde of barbarians came stomping through Damnonii and decided to go south instead of north. My game could have ended very quickly there.

While Picts obviously have the problem of only having one province and nowhere to conquer easily, they are lucky enough to only have one direction to worry about as far as barbarians invasions go. Still, I'd wager the typical success rate is worse than the 50/50. ;)