• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alucardvincent

First Lieutenant
117 Badges
Dec 20, 2009
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Age of Wonders
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
I am playing as Barcelona’s Duke; it starts already with a lot of castles cool to upgrade, so in theory castles are good for troops and cities are good for money. So I decided to build a city to raise my income.

However when it was ready I received the darn “wrong holding” message and the income is in red. So I assume I must give it; but if I do that then the baron will get the income not me :( then I have a couple of questions:

As a duke then I can only manage castles and not cities?

Then why to build a city instead of a castle? I understand that they generate more income but the income will go to the baron anyway and of course the benefit of the levies, but the levies are better in a castle; then why I should build a city?

the tax from a city-type vassal is still higher than the tax from church-type and castle-type vassals
owning a city yourself only gives 25% of the income (it's an abstraction: you can't expect a military leader to run an economically-focused settlement well after all)
letting a city-type vassal run it and give you taxes (depending on your laws, but especially high level ones) is better (since you can hold castles instead)

I am playing as Barcelona’s Duke; it starts already with a lot of castles cool to upgrade, so in theory castles are good for troops and cities are good for money. So I decided to build a city to raise my income.

I understand that they generate more income but the income will go to the baron anyway and of course the benefit of the levies, but the levies are better in a castle; then why I should build a city?

Actually, the castles work against you. Cities on counties that border the ocean gain more... I keep forgetting if it's tech or money... anyways, cities in the long run are in fact better. The castles give you better levies, but that only goes so far. Cities when upgraded give far larger levies than a castle. Mayors will also upgrade their cities when they have the money, as will Bishops. So will barons, but they don't make enough to upgrade much. So if you don't plan to keep the holding, don't make castles. And definitely make cities whenever you can on the coast.

Point is, the pre-existing castles rob you of a choice. They also help you survive the muslims early on though. So it's fair trade I guess.