• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've created navboxes for the wiki, and every game mechanics page now has at least one navbox, with a few having two.
All the navboxes are featured on this page.
You can also see them all below:
L3be5cg.png

Hopefully this will help people find what they're looking for, and also make them browse the wiki for longer.
It seems the navboxes have already slightly increased the average visit time and # of pages per visit. Only by a few % so far, but it'll take a bit more time before any trend can establish itself.

There's now also a guides navbox:
w0vu9sU.png

I've also added several pages to the Merge category. These are mostly guides that might as well have their unique information merged into regular pages.
As such they're not included in the Guides navbox.

Last edited:
I've created a reference guides page .. partly to help organise all of the various mechanics pages (and their duplicates), partly to help see where the duplicates are.

Next step, I'll start picking and merging - patience willing :)

I've created a reference guides page .. partly to help organise all of the various mechanics pages (and their duplicates), partly to help see where the duplicates are.

Next step, I'll start picking and merging - patience willing :)
Nice, should help with the main page reorganization once we get to that point.
16 pages in the Merge category, so get to it ;)

One down. I've created a merged version of Levies and Levies Guide in the Levies Guide Talk Page. It just needs a copy, paste and redirect to sort the two pages out. I'll smoosh them together in the morning unless you have any further thoughts.
If it's done then just smash'em together.

Ah... you beat me to the Levies Guide redirect...

Ah... you beat me to the Levies Guide redirect...
You were being inefficient with the talk page, I thought it best to speed up the process ;)

Nice work on the merge, thanks. Only 15 more pages to go.

Only 15 more pages to go.

A few more than that I suspect... There are about 6 pages relating to Tyranny that would be better combined... and there are at least 4 pages on marriage!

But I'll stick to the easy ones to begin with... its strangely cathartic.

As some have likely noticed, the wiki is currently suffering from technical issues. Sadly I do not know the cause, but I've contacted support.
As it looks like the issue might last a while, I'm using the downtime to patch the wiki software to a newer version. If we're extremely lucky that'll also fix the source of the high resource usage.

The downtime appears to be over now.
During it I managed to upgrade all my Paradox wikis. As the resource usage ended shortly after I finished the last upgrade it seems plausible that it may have had something to do with the older version of MediaWiki I was running (1.20.3 and 1.20.4; current version is 1.21.1).

Out of interest, how frequent are/were spam attacks? I'd think the CAPTCHA would be quite a turn-off to new users... the one on account creation is pretty normal, but one for every edit is more than most people are used to.

If you were only getting one attack a week I'd think they could be dealt with by undos... though if you were getting dozens every day then its a bit different!

Out of interest, how frequent are/were spam attacks? I'd think the CAPTCHA would be quite a turn-off to new users... the one on account creation is pretty normal, but one for every edit is more than most people are used to.

If you were only getting one attack a week I'd think they could be dealt with by undos... though if you were getting dozens every day then its a bit different!
There were several spam edits a day before I implemented the CAPTCHAs.
I'll try turning them off for registered users though to see if that affects spam in any way.

There were several spam edits a day before I implemented the CAPTCHAs.
I'll try turning them off for registered users though to see if that affects spam in any way.

When I was an administrator on a different wiki, which had no CAPTCHA at all, practically every spam page was created by registered users (that would create one account and immediately use it to create a page, then never use the account again) rather than anonymous IPs. Perhaps a CAPTCHA at registration will be sufficient to stop this, though.

When I was an administrator on a different wiki, which had no CAPTCHA at all, practically every spam page was created by registered users (that would create one account and immediately use it to create a page, then never use the account again) rather than anonymous IPs. Perhaps a CAPTCHA at registration will be sufficient to stop this, though.
Yeah, the CAPTCHA should stop them from registering most of the time. A few will probably get through occasionally, but that can be cleaned up manually.

There, CAPTCHAs have now been turned off for all registered users.
They're still present at registration though, of course.

Last edited:
The NavBoxes have proven to be extremely successful:
In the 5 days since they were implemented, # of pages per visit has been 6 to 13% higher than 7 days earlier, with a value around 10% most of the time.
Average visit duration has been 10 to 28% higher, with a value around 20% most of the high.
The bounce rate (how many % leave after viewing a single page) has also gone down slightly, varying from 3 to 6% with a value around 4% most of the time.

So overall, a great success. It appears it's made it considerably easier for people to find things they're interested in as they now spend longer on each page, and also highlights pages they might never have noticed before as pages per visit are now higher, and the bounce rate a bit lower.

The next thing that should be interesting is the effect of redesigning the frontpage once we get to that stage. It will hopefully reduce the number of people who visit the front page and then leave by a considerable amount.

Right, so I'm planning to put up a front page of sorts for all the wikis, like Paradoxian has.
Any idea what I could call the wiki network? My best idea so far has been just "Paradox Wikis", but it's not the most exciting name ever.