• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
there is something people tend to forget. the AI doesnt blitz you like we blitz the AI. you need to be very weakend for the AI to see you as beatable in i.e. spain. i ahd time where mauritania could have EASLY steamrolled me. the first few months. after that enough of my armies would have been replensished, turning the war in a loooooong war of attrition. and as i dont get opinion modifiers, and mauritania does, i WILL win it given time. also, they risk france or the HRE joining me and sending a doomstack to whittle down their army at least enogh to stop it from getting even 30% warscore, if it doesnt beat them.

imo, the AI should actually be LESS oppurtunistic(them attacking any small state rebelling against i.e. HRE while the HRE sends a doomstack) but just plain better at calculating risks. more aggesive getting claims at neighbours they dont like and can best in a war, more aggrasive trying to get an alliance with those they cant best/like very much.

I don't see why we should raise aggressiveness. I've won several wars against England and lost several both before and after my victories. Increasing the aggressiveness would just ruin the game in my opinion.

I don't know how some of you go for 100s of years without being attacked. Try being excommed, try having a succession crisis, try having multiple people attack you and at the same time having revolts.

Try losing a excom war, having your treasury go away with the old king and having England, the HRE, and France figure now is a good time to attack you all the while your vassals in Brittany Normandy and various English ones as well start rebelling against the new liege.

Granted I've reigned in all my lost provinces from rebellions and was able to fight off the advance of these other countries with the help of other players in the game. But without them I would have lost a significant amount of land. The AI is certainly aggressive enough.

Who knows though, perhaps I'm in the minority.

Try being excommed,
Having a significant number of EU3 games as a Catholic country under my belt, I try to avoid being excommunicated in Paradox games. It's not that hard to suck up to the Pope.

I don't see why we should raise aggressiveness. I've won several wars against England and lost several both before and after my victories. Increasing the aggressiveness would just ruin the game in my opinion.

I don't know how some of you go for 100s of years without being attacked. Try being excommed, try having a succession crisis, try having multiple people attack you and at the same time having revolts.

Try losing a excom war, having your treasury go away with the old king and having England, the HRE, and France figure now is a good time to attack you all the while your vassals in Brittany Normandy and various English ones as well start rebelling against the new liege.

Granted I've reigned in all my lost provinces from rebellions and was able to fight off the advance of these other countries with the help of other players in the game. But without them I would have lost a significant amount of land. The AI is certainly aggressive enough.

Who knows though, perhaps I'm in the minority.

Yes if you want to be attacked just piss the Pope off get excommed and you will have plenty of fun defending against the angry swarms of vassals and large realms jumping to through an apostate in the fire.

As I said somewhere back there in this thread, I don't go too long before getting attacked by an angry alliance of vassals or neighbors. But sometimes I go forever without one. Just breed a King or Duke with 0 dip and a bunch of negative traits :p

Having a significant number of EU3 games as a Catholic country under my belt, I try to avoid being excommunicated in Paradox games. It's not that hard to suck up to the Pope.

Except it can happen extremely suddenly WITHOUT you having any chance to stop it. Specifically when a new non pious leader takes over. Often time a succession war can start which also leads to people trying to get you excommed.

I actually get attacked by the AI. Not usually other Christians, but the Muslims are perfectly happy to jump me if they think I'm weak. Just had to fight off a massive asault by the Shia Caliphate shortly after a new king took the throne. Smart; my levies were low because no one liked him and I was dealing with possible rebellions from some of my dukes already.

I have noticed what you're talking about, how there does seem to be a point in the game where you're never defending... except against revolting vassals. That does seem to be a problem.

I think the AI plays more or less similarly to real-life rulers, who were not power mongers. In my experience, AI goes after you if you have previously taken its land but otherwise it doesn't. Maybe holy war from a neighbour or a rare de iure war by someone bigger than you, but this is it.