• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good thing that your Spymaster Anastasios is Monophysite like you or your son would find him a perfect man to talk about an assassination attempt on your life over the mug of tej.

This is a great AAR, sir! I'm actually rather surprised you've made it this long and are still going... Congratulations! But I really do wonder at good ol' Tesfaye's constant religious flip-flopping. I suppose there's not much else to do in Sennar, though, since apparently everyone who moves there becomes a fervent Monophysite, despite your best efforts. I'm sure the one Orthodox holdout will soon convert, don't worry.

Keep doing whatever it is you're doing, because this is gold!

Great reading, thanks a lot!

One thing has bothered me, though: When Tesfaye turned Orthodox, couldn't he appoint an Orthodox chaplain who would convert the courtiers (nevermind the goatherds, converting the Sennar populace would have been a longer process). Thus it could have happened that everybody wouldn't hate Tesfaye THAT much. Were there any Orthodox characters available to appoint in Tesfaye's court?

Seeing the true Coptic faith (Monophysitism in game terms and "heresy" in game mechanics) again, this is purely speculative, of course... Tesfaye's son could only hope that this new court chaplain of his father's is not the most zealous one, keeping in mind that when his time comes, the then Basileus could like HIM more if he stays Orthodox.

Everyone's missing the real question here. Not that he follows the true Monophysite faith... will he find the knuckle bone again?

It's out there somewhere.... biding its time.

:p Dear Monophysite God, please. But yeah, he is screwed.

Although, it is quite the feat that you survived this long. I hope your heretic count in his goat-infested village will slip the mind of his drunk emperor for a long time to come.

My humble opinion: if you want to prolongue your suffering (and this excellent AAR) stop thinking about military conquest and get used to the Habsburg way of empire building.

That is very good advice. While Tesfaye has become quite good at surrendering and keeping peace terms remarkably low, his armies--er, army--has done absolutely nothing to help him preserve the dynasty. Being a Misguided Warrior, though, he'll probably try a couple more times just to be sure.

And it's quite a coincidence that you post here, Bornego--I have just this week started trying to learn an AGEOD game (RoP) and was reading your excellent, excellent Once Upon a Time ... the Revolution - A Red Grand Campaign PBEM. I heartily recommend that everyone drop everything and start reading this AAR. I am slowly learning this wonderful AGEOD game with its dozens of different mechanics governing combat, supply, etc, and it is easy to get bogged down in the ramp up. But then I open up your AAR and once again see that the journey will be totally worth it. Thanks for a great AAR!

It's a good thing that your Spymaster Anastasios is Monophysite like you or your son would find him a perfect man to talk about an assassination attempt on your life over the mug of tej.

Yes, you're exactly right. Given how much his son hates him, I'm surprised nothing has come of it. In fact, maybe Anastasios just stinks, because there almost never is a plot discovered in Sennar. Or maybe people are too busy herding goats, who knows.

This is a great AAR, sir! I'm actually rather surprised you've made it this long and are still going... Congratulations! But I really do wonder at good ol' Tesfaye's constant religious flip-flopping. I suppose there's not much else to do in Sennar, though, since apparently everyone who moves there becomes a fervent Monophysite, despite your best efforts. I'm sure the one Orthodox holdout will soon convert, don't worry.

Keep doing whatever it is you're doing, because this is gold!

Thank you! And yes, except for the Steward and Tesfaye's son, I think everyone has become Monophysite, some zealously so. Perhaps it is the knuckle bone relic exerting its influence from some hidden location.

Great reading, thanks a lot!

One thing has bothered me, though: When Tesfaye turned Orthodox, couldn't he appoint an Orthodox chaplain who would convert the courtiers (nevermind the goatherds, converting the Sennar populace would have been a longer process). Thus it could have happened that everybody wouldn't hate Tesfaye THAT much. Were there any Orthodox characters available to appoint in Tesfaye's court?

Seeing the true Coptic faith (Monophysitism in game terms and "heresy" in game mechanics) again, this is purely speculative, of course... Tesfaye's son could only hope that this new court chaplain of his father's is not the most zealous one, keeping in mind that when his time comes, the then Basileus could like HIM more if he stays Orthodox.

Yes, Tesfaye should have canned his Monophysite chaplan long ago and gotten even a crappy Orthodox one from the Greeks that were in his council. But it would have been hard to do for the shy, craven Tesfaye to fire Gebereal. He was hoping Gebereal would just die on his own and make it easy.

Chapter 25

Who could have wanted Nikodemos dead? He had a claim on a county—Hellas—which is sometimes an incentive among my courtiers to kill each other, as if one less claimant will make it more likely that they will get something that I will never press. But nobody else here had a claim on Hellas. Nikodemos’ wife died not too long ago, perhaps there is something with that? I talk to Spymaster Anastasios and ask him to start making inquiries into this matter to try to uncover what might have happened.

4bde46ba5b8122f316401a16111f1ef2ae85582c21cf7ec76bd5b4595b89c99d6g.jpg

Now that Nikodemos is dead, I will need another chancellor. As it turns out, Anastasios’ own son has some abilities in this area, so I hire him as the new chancellor. He has been very poorly trained in diplomacy—his strategy is mainly to agree with whatever the other person says and try to appease them. He is also very kind and honest, and I think these are the traits that combine to help him be pretty effective, in spite of his naïve diplomatic skills. When you are talking with him, you really start to respect his caring and like the man, and so your demands become much more reasonable and you find yourself teaming up with him to get to solutions rather than fighting him to win a negotiation. He is also a zealous Monphysite, which I can now respect, given my newfound faith in the One Natured God.

It does occur to me later that Anastasios knew his son wanted to be chancellor. That would be pretty cold to kill Nikodemos just to get his son a job, but I’ve learned not to underestimate Byzantine Greeks for their penchant for poison and knives in the dark. I will have to watch him carefully.

8f7a2ba93eb1bf1c2d96c34bfeb900dd87377e762fb65d04f7f190841702eb3a6g.jpg

I notice someone new at my court, I don’t know how long he has been here. The lowborn Greek Adrianos is from out of town. He’s a member of the heresy Nestorianism. No one knows his full story, but someone said that he had to leave his last court because of some sort of trouble. Really, do we not have someone watching the door? Can anyone just walk in to my court and act like they belong here?

Apparently he has a fair amount of cash in his finances, despite his constantly wasting money. Strange man, unknown sources of income, heretic… I make a mental note to ask Anastasios to check this guy out as a suspect in our murders.

17826ce98b0310dda5f2b798bd022e463df7a0134415173a3df221bb0d24aa4b6g.jpg

A military attaché arrives with news about Salermo and the presence of the infidel forces there. Oops! I had completely forgotten we were still at war with them—I thought I had surrendered already. Sure enough, they are all still there waiting patiently for my army to arrive. Basileus Michael should commend me on my new form of economic warfare on the infidels—it must not be cheap to leave your levees raised indefinitely like this.

0ebe1213483c767561dcc12f28e0ce35c9403184a6eae6a74569f2ee7594e4b66g.jpg

You like the infidels too much? Just wait until I tell the Ecumenical Patriarch about this!

Perhaps my ally the Doux is less busy now and can help take Salermo? Unfortunately, given my conversion to Monophysiticism, Doux Iosephos now likes the infidels more than he likes me, his in-law. I tell an attaché to keep someone watching Salermo and only tell me if they start to march towards us. I then forget about them.

8b4fa6dfb07cef599716404680c1665829e6233c2a14a64ac8af643f3dfd403d6g.jpg

The peasants attack my steward. The peasants have the audacity to claim it was in self-defense. My steward is certainly filled with hate for all things associated with our “damned heresy,” but he is a wispy thin coin counter. Even I, who am not known for my bravery, would not be overly concerned if my steward were attacking me. I think a stiff breeze could knock him down.

663764fecd4759c526c3f72cb1ce4d664aa88f5ab23d8487f34fbc79c069e17e6g.jpg

My God, was my sloth this bad? Someone should have beaten me out of it.

I am still concerned about the murder of Nikodemos, but I am starting to get a little more positive about things. Converting to Monophysitism has given me some hope that no matter how bad things have gotten—and they certainly have not been good—working for a better tomorrow can bring results.

9f77bc90fea2d9a42af2557657b18bcb2791e9d3da45514ddf4fc05533aa7c0f6g.jpg

As if in response to my new energy as count, everyone in my council now likes me. Except for the zealous heretic steward, that is. And he has had another run in with the peasants. I will really have to talk to him about relaxing a little while collecting taxes.

7508d994c94fa8da993ce7f3f87c33a587c1b1b43dc6f790f9004c325be7919e6g.jpg

Well, we know the murderer is not Anastasios.

By the One Natured God! People are starting to drop like flies around me. Who is behind this madness, and who will be struck next?

Last edited:
It's very clear who's behind this. Adrianos of Lowborn was an aspiring assassin, but due to his low intrigue score he couldn't compete with the highly skilled professional killers of Constantinople. So naturally he came to Sennar to practice his trade. How competent does an assassin need to be in Sennar?

It's very clear who's behind this. Adrianos of Lowborn was an aspiring assassin, but due to his low intrigue score he couldn't compete with the highly skilled professional killers of Constantinople. So naturally he came to Sennar to practice his trade. How competent does an assassin need to be in Sennar?

You and Tesfaye should really be careful with this strange new man in the town, lowborn Adrianos.

First of all, he's a Nestorian. Nestorius, Patriarch of Constantinople in 428–431 was fierce promoter of the idea that Christ had two natures, both human and divine. He and his followers, the filthy dyophysites, were kicked out of the Mother Church in the First Council of Ephesus, in 431 and in the Council of Chalcedon in 451 (the latter was the very same council where you monophysites were kicked out...). Nestorianism can be seen as the antithesis to monophysitism, which emerged in reaction to Nestorianism. The view of the mainline Christianity is laid somewhere between, methinks.

Now, Tesfaye embraces the faith of his fathers again. A shady Nestorian, fierce opponent of the monophysite viewpoint, shows up in Sennar, which is pretty much both monophysite-god-forsaken and dyophysite-god-forsaken place, not invited by anybody. People start to die in strange accidents.

Anyone follow the pattern?

You and Tesfaye should really be careful with this strange new man in the town, lowborn Adrianos...

Zebediah and Prince Michael--Adrianos certainly looks like he could be the culprit... maybe... :)

Leading to the obvious conclusion that Orthodox Christians believe that God has one and one-half natures.

LOL. I like your logic.

If you are not a Mastermind Theologian (I am not - I don't like the hit on my fertility), that's the way you can probably put it.

Wait, do Mastermind Theologians get a hit on fertility?

Last edited:
Chapter 26

5ae7590924d214c7078b13c8ac8470107b081f641a6e9bb60e6824205ba3df056g.jpg

Zealously Orthodox Steward Anatolios’ only child is a Monophysite now.

bb33a62577fa56d62d53e94705b0380fcf11fd2b5e184023205d0758345ecf4e6g.jpg

His wife is a Monophysite. She is also gay.

b1f4ff410d8d1f3ce360cf1330023eb5e2125e22ecebc38fceda3e16f7a686256g.jpg

Anatolios has become paranoid and a drunkard. Sennar hasn’t treated him too well. It’s no wonder that he is being a little rough around the edges with the peasants. I don’t think I will talk to him about that after all. It would be somewhat embarrassing as well.

24561880d96ab90dff6c3173f6478665d96f9749c82a7a410207fbc786bf32766g.jpg

To replace our deceased spymaster, my wife, Melesse, wants to be appointed for the role. She does not have even the scarcest shred of ability at intrigue, however. I would be better off making a Shifara tree a spymaster than her. But she is also the closest she has ever been to actually liking me, so I am a bit conflicted. I need a murderer caught so I don't die, though, and that trumps my delusional wife.

347b9710335a33fe664c5cc9716e0c81ac41f20704f3b2d4a2abd627f54901ce6g.jpg

Yes, my heir still hates me. It is not possible for him to hate me more. Children are a blessing.

My son is the best candidate for the spymaster role and would make a great spymaster. But as the grand hope for our dynasty, I cannot expose him to such dangers. I make my brother Jima, a distant second in ability, spymaster instead. He can take time away from courting women to do some real work.

I consult with Jima about possible suspects. I am now convinced that the wife of Nikodemos, Eudokia Kontostephanos, was also murdered. It was a half-formed idea that popped into my head at the time, but I had dismissed it immediately. Now in light of these murders, however, I am confirmed that it was the first in a series of murders. Perhaps my mother, Unia—perhaps even her own death was the result of murder?

784b007959929a2522f1e99c5186b859f6e5d56984fe7066e561847fcb0015266g.jpg
Eudokia Kontostephanos – Nikodemos’ wife, Greek Orthodox
268260ad2e4e3dcf781f3b8e3c9bacbdc2f9eaa02105bf7a104dea41caef24cc6g.jpg
Unia – My mother, Occitan Monophysite
650cfe1fc17a939ba1b4d59cb00468bd6fa0e2a1f914169c67a46bb4dcebf9cd6g.jpg
Nikodemos – Chancellor, Greek Monophysite
0bcf713e50d510c7b500dfa38673280d1000f57fec1ce36fff5deb0ba434dcfe6g.jpg
Anastasios – Spymaster, Greek Monophysite

Except for my mother, who may not even have been murdered, all the victims had two things in common: they were associated with the council and they were Greek. Looking a little too relieved that he personally isn’t threatened, Jima thinks that one of the Ethiopians in Sennar is doing the murders. Probably someone close to the council. Jima says that Gebereal Komel-Shokafa, our ex-longtime chaplain who was always so angry about Greek incursions into council territory, is a prime candidate. Especially given that he was fired from the council, perhaps he has gone lethally bad. I ask Jima to check into the man and see if he could be our murderer.

87550eff4e80ea335335547acd34cb344280de4dd9e3a26c5790e937e183db536g.jpg

Having a council position makes Jima seem more responsible and willing to settle down. He even agrees to my arranging a marriage. I’m surprised when he even suggests a potential bride: Mencia, a princess of Leon. The King of Leon even agrees to this match, surprising me even more. I don’t know how he has done it, but Jima now has a princess for a wife. It’s nice to see that things are looking up for someone in Sennar.

d4cff48695f7acd35b9145fc3cdefb8dd13fbb57b76287d53c97c576584002826g.jpg

Soon after the wedding, Jima updates me on Gebereal. After being fired from council, the 70-year-old ex-chaplain rapidly declined and became comatose. He has just died. He had no family that anyone knew of. I should feel guilty about firing him now and for thinking he was the murderer. But all I can think about is that someone is murdering Greeks in power in Sennar and so I am a prime candidate for being a murder victim, and we still don't have a prime suspect.

Last edited:
It must be Ethiopian, Greek Orthodox with intrigue skill high enough and be liked by many Greek Orthodox followers and Ethiopians, someone high in the court of Sennar. If the death of Anastasios might be any clue then his murdered could did the deed in hope of being named Spymaster after him. I think the first choice obvious: it's your son. Or your brother, now Spymaster. It'll be determined by who'll die next. Will it be Tesfaye? Will the Emperor join the plot on his life? The plot thickens and fate of the Zagwe's finest hangs in the balance...

What is this now, CSI: Sennar? :D

keep up the good work

Having a council position makes Jima seem more responsible and willing to settle down. He even agrees to my arranging a marriage. I’m surprised when he even suggests a potential bride: Mencia, a princess of Leon. The King of Leon even agrees to this match, surprising me even more. I don’t know he has done it, but Jima now has a princess for a wife. It’s nice to see that things are looking up for someone in Sennar.[/QUOTE]
Funny how "Things are looking up for someone" in Sennar translates to "getting rid of that pesky pretender by sending her off to the most godforsaken place imaginable" in Leon.
I'm pretty sure she wasn't his favorite child.

Looking forward to the marriage. A cheerful Jima, accompanied by the traditional dowry-goat meeting his Spanish Princess, who just realised that her father never loved her, and that the closest thing to civilised people she'll see in the rest of her miserable life will be those few ethopians who still pretend to be greeks :p

Things are looking up for someone? I think not. A wife will no doubt cramp Jima's style, and her being a princess and all, his... erm... choice of lifestyle would be seen as an affront to her honour.

Perhaps not something represented in game terms aside from her opinion of her husband, but it would be hilarious to see a horde of angry Spaniards ignore the moors and march to attack Sennar.

Then again, hasn't the council established that Sennar is where pretenders go to die? Poor Mencia.

Loving this, been getting the updates to my email since I had life get in the way for a wee bit, but your doing awesome on writing this, and enjoy reading the updates and comments ALOT!!!! :)

It must be Ethiopian, Greek Orthodox with intrigue skill high enough and be liked by many Greek Orthodox followers and Ethiopians, someone high in the court of Sennar. If the death of Anastasios might be any clue then his murdered could did the deed in hope of being named Spymaster after him. I think the first choice obvious: it's your son. Or your brother, now Spymaster. It'll be determined by who'll die next. Will it be Tesfaye? Will the Emperor join the plot on his life? The plot thickens and fate of the Zagwe's finest hangs in the balance...

Yes, so many possible people who could be plotting to kill Tesfaye or people near him. I'm surprised he doesn't get the "stressed" trait.

What is this now, CSI: Sennar? :D

keep up the good work

LOL. Thanks! :)

Funny how "Things are looking up for someone" in Sennar translates to "getting rid of that pesky pretender by sending her off to the most godforsaken place imaginable" in Leon.
I'm pretty sure she wasn't his favorite child.

Looking forward to the marriage. A cheerful Jima, accompanied by the traditional dowry-goat meeting his Spanish Princess, who just realised that her father never loved her, and that the closest thing to civilised people she'll see in the rest of her miserable life will be those few ethopians who still pretend to be greeks :p

Things are looking up for someone? I think not. A wife will no doubt cramp Jima's style, and her being a princess and all, his... erm... choice of lifestyle would be seen as an affront to her honour.

Perhaps not something represented in game terms aside from her opinion of her husband, but it would be hilarious to see a horde of angry Spaniards ignore the moors and march to attack Sennar.

Then again, hasn't the council established that Sennar is where pretenders go to die? Poor Mencia.

Held der Arbeit and SaintEsteban--Thank you for talking about this. I did not see at all the interesting backstory about this until I read your posts. It turns out that it is a little more complicated that we thought...

Started reading a few hours ago, totally brilliant stuff. I demand more. Immediately. :D

Thank you! I appreciate it. I will try to oblige. :)

Loving this, been getting the updates to my email since I had life get in the way for a wee bit, but your doing awesome on writing this, and enjoy reading the updates and comments ALOT!!!! :)

Thanks! Good luck with everything!

Chapter 27

82dd113e80edf7ef468b9913e8b874d3372ebf40842edd50b4972c5cbb4e266c6g.jpg

I am curious about Jima’s new wife, Princess Mencía. How does a Princess of Leon end up in dusty Sennar? It turns out that she is not a Princess of Leon… she is a Princess of Leon, Castille, and Galicia. And these titles are inheritable by her children. I become a lot more curious. I have Chancellor Demetrios research and then report to me on Christian Iberian politics.

The previous liege of Princess Mencía was not, after all, her father. It was her nephew, King Sancho IV of Castille. Her father was King Sancho “the Chaste” of Leon, though he could just as well have been known as King Sancho “the Excommunicated” or King Sancho “the Incapacitated”. We could never get all the juicy details on what happened with him. He had three children before he ended up bedridden, comatose, and excommunicated: Sancho III—who became king after his father died—the elder Princess Mencía, and the younger Princess Mencía (the wife of Jima). After becoming king, Mencía's brother Sancho III had three daughters and a son, Sancho IV. And it was when Sancho IV came of age that his father, Sancho III, suddenly had a “suspicious accident” and died, making his son—who was surely much grieved—king.

80d5657c4ee5527ad910673ec48dba8f748a2f90f9c380190431c6f8c4959c976g.jpg

For some reason, in spite of his being the obvious heir, King Sancho IV had been given an education for a future church man. Perhaps his father thought this would help curb his nascent tendencies for ruthless and cruel efficiency. In that he was mistaken, but his church education may have helped him to become charitable and just.

As soon as he was king, Sancho IV began tying up loose ends, namely the princesses Mencía, his aunts who each had an inheritable claim on all his kingdoms. He married the elder aunt to the Count of Lleida, one of his most loyal supporters who was rumored to have something to do with Sancho III’s “accident.” The younger aunt—now Jima’s wife—posed a problem. By then a masterful theologian full of zealous faith, her too trusting nature caused her to reveal her great ambitions to herself take the kingdoms and burn out the impious sinful impurities that had sullied it. This posed a challenge for Sancho IV. Another suspicious accident could cause more problems than it fixed, so instead he married her to García de Polvorosa, who was an elderly widower who had been unable to father a child in his forty-year previous marriage. As García was a courtier in Sancho IV’s court, the king could keep a close eye on Mencía and all her communications with others.

1596e4ac40c47e55fc49934626805d6447cf5e788015fde699d7c5472727e5216g.jpg

Given the advanced years of García, this was only a short-term solution, however, designed to postpone dealing with Mencía until Sancho IV had further consolidated his power. Once García died after his 71st birthday, the king had to find a new place to put Mencía, who was becoming increasingly bold in her efforts at intrigue. Fortunately for Sancho, her ability at intrigue was what she was least capable at, as rumors abound that she very nearly caused a widespread succession crisis in the just few years that she was widowed from García.

Sennar was the solution. Sennar lacks most everything, but key for King Sancho were: no foreign army that could push Mencía’s claims, precious little communication through the infidel-infested lands surrounding the county, no sympathetic Catholics of any kind to plot with, and no prospect that any children or children’s children from Mencía’s union with a Sennarian could ever be in a position to push claims on Castille, Leon, and Galicia. It was like killing her without the knife. King Sancho was happy. Princess Mencía was not. She arrives to isolated, arid Sennar to be greeted by—in her eyes—her new religious abomination hunchback Ethiopian husband.

1e31bd8af568f4a36c652a78be986c985c541511345412e2486a473e2894bc4d6g.jpg

53849a1187f8bf0dea9e0ab75b49ed9eb6fb31fa2b043b23e1e9be9db0be23446g.jpg

Everyone hates her, and she hates everyone in Sennar. Princess Mencía is in hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.