• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthropoid

Major Game Slut
59 Badges
Sep 30, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I can appreciate Paradox interest in making the game both realistic and inclusive. But having William the Conqueror suddenly develop the trait "homosexual" (as if it was something you just 'caught' one day) at age 49 after fathering 15 children, and as a result of interactions with another combatant at a tournament that happened 8 years earlier is just silly. As a social scientist who studies sexuality I can tell you, this is an absurd and silly thing to include in a game this way. In playing the game it is just annoying and it adds very little to the flavor or texture of the game.

Certainly having characters in the game who have the 'homosexual' trait might be warranted, but (a) having it acquired late in life as a result of a tournament is silly; (b) in a time when someone could be burned at the stack for being a heretic having a 'homosexual' trait that impacts relations with other characters is absurd (as if anyone in the Western Christian world who experienced attraction to the same sex would be out of the closet in the Middle Ages . . . yeah right; it should have ZERO standard effect on relations with other characters in the game for the simple reason, anyone experiencing it would keep it secret except for the closest circle of friends). Perhaps in the some cultures in the game were pederasty was practiced, but certainly not in Western Europe; (c) having it impact fertility is also questionable for the simple reason that a person at court at this time who experienced same sex attraction would be likely to live a double life of sorts, particularly if they were a member of a royal dynasty among whom reproduction is expected. Perhaps a small penalty to fertility like -5 but -15 is silly.

It is certainly true that same-sex attraction is likely to have been a part of all human populations throughout all of human natural history with anywhere from 15 to 65% of people experience varying degrees of same-sex attraction and drive, and perhaps even as many as 15% of many populations experiencing effectively exclusive same-sex attraction and sexual interaction. But the obvious presumption on the part of those who coded the game that it would be experienced in comparable ways among the diversity of societies represented in the game at this time is absurd, as is the presumption that analogs of the early 21st century stigma of the identity could somehow be meaningfully used to operationalize the 'traits' mechanics in the game.

In order to truly incorporate this very complex, and controversial identity feature into a game like this would require much more work than simply four or five lines of code in a "Traits" sheet. If Paradox intends to do that, I say great, but until then, can some one tell me how to just delete this trait from the game? . . . actually nevermind.

In protest to this silly game feature, I shall play on as William the Homosexual Conqueror but with my Traits sheet edited to more properly reflect the cost/benefits of this exemplary aspect of being a progressive and open-minded Middle Ages Crusader King . . .

homosexual = {
diplomacy = 1
martial = 2

health = 2
fertility = 0.1

sex_appeal_opinion = 10
vassal_opinion = 10

That is, being "homosexual" shall be exactly the the same as being "strong" !

Delete it from William, or just set the traits to zero in the traits sheet.

Remember none of the traits have anything beyond those few lines, and any events that use them as triggers.

Delete it from William, or just set the traits to zero in the traits sheet.

Remember none of the traits have anything beyond those few lines, and any events that use them as triggers.

Yeah this happened to my 59 year old king who had 8 kids......

And yup it was after a tournament. And than His grandson had it happened to him as well.... again as a result of a tournament.

I actually stopped hosting tournaments because of this. Its just silly to randomly become homosexual like that. The op put it best when he said that the way its portrayed is liken to "catching" a cold. As for the negative relations , i think thats not as bad. I figure they mean "suspected homosexual" , and not proven. Because yes , no one would be openly gay in those days without having a death wish of some sort.

You could always just rationalize it with the man finally coming to terms with his feelings at that point in his life.

The game doesn't handle it that gracefully, but for the abstraction of the traits, I don't mind it that much.

I don't see why this is an issue, not all traits are represented correctly through the game.

They do what they can, and the fact that people make a big deal out of this trait is just silly.

That unfortunately wouldn't explain the fertility drop.

He's had to sleep with women for the good of his dynasty his whole life, and now he's sick of it. ;)

As an aside, can women be homosexual in this game? I haven't seen it yet.

I'd like to see some homosexual scandal events between characters in a court, with their dalliances coming public. That'd be interesting!

Personally speaking and I don't want sound homosexual but I think paradox should expand on this trait. Not saying we should have gay events but maybe a few events like "while taking an evening walk you spot one of your female courtiers in a heated moment" options walk away,
dive into bushes and look closer.

"the courtier she's with appears almost feline and thenu realize there both women"
Op. 1 Jump out of bushes and condem them as homosexuals
Op. 2 keep watching

Don't know if Paradox will ever add these to the game but I know i will so look out for my next mod
"Crusader Pimps a true sensual odyssey"

For those of u who don't understand a joke this is sarcastic

Strictly speaking was homosexuality that bad back then? I seem to remember the greeks, romans, and quite a few other nations having openly homosexual prominent figures.

I feel like it should be a personal boost, as you are accepting yourself for who you are yet those who are against it should have neg modifiers to you. Im sure not everyone cared. I would imagine the popes and bishops yes, but only the homophobic characters otherwise.

As far as fertility is concerned, maybe turning it into a series of events with your spouse? One line has you two practicing your maritial rights like normal, another has you sleeping together purely for procreation (hence a low fertility drop) and a third has you two abstaining entirely from each other perhaps leading to bastard children.

I can appreciate Paradox interest in making the game both realistic and inclusive. But having William the Conqueror suddenly develop the trait "homosexual" (as if it was something you just 'caught' one day) at age 49 after fathering 15 children, and as a result of interactions with another combatant at a tournament that happened 8 years earlier is just silly. As a social scientist who studies sexuality I can tell you, this is an absurd and silly thing to include in a game this way. In playing the game it is just annoying and it adds very little to the flavor or texture of the game.

Certainly having characters in the game who have the 'homosexual' trait might be warranted, but (a) having it acquired late in life as a result of a tournament is silly; (b) in a time when someone could be burned at the stack for being a heretic having a 'homosexual' trait that impacts relations with other characters is absurd (as if anyone in the Western Christian world who experienced attraction to the same sex would be out of the closet in the Middle Ages . . . yeah right; it should have ZERO standard effect on relations with other characters in the game for the simple reason, anyone experiencing it would keep it secret except for the closest circle of friends). Perhaps in the some cultures in the game were pederasty was practiced, but certainly not in Western Europe; (c) having it impact fertility is also questionable for the simple reason that a person at court at this time who experienced same sex attraction would be likely to live a double life of sorts, particularly if they were a member of a royal dynasty among whom reproduction is expected. Perhaps a small penalty to fertility like -5 but -15 is silly.

It is certainly true that same-sex attraction is likely to have been a part of all human populations throughout all of human natural history with anywhere from 15 to 65% of people experience varying degrees of same-sex attraction and drive, and perhaps even as many as 15% of many populations experiencing effectively exclusive same-sex attraction and sexual interaction. But the obvious presumption on the part of those who coded the game that it would be experienced in comparable ways among the diversity of societies represented in the game at this time is absurd, as is the presumption that analogs of the early 21st century stigma of the identity could somehow be meaningfully used to operationalize the 'traits' mechanics in the game.

In order to truly incorporate this very complex, and controversial identity feature into a game like this would require much more work than simply four or five lines of code in a "Traits" sheet. If Paradox intends to do that, I say great, but until then, can some one tell me how to just delete this trait from the game? . . . actually nevermind.

In protest to this silly game feature, I shall play on as William the Homosexual Conqueror but with my Traits sheet edited to more properly reflect the cost/benefits of this exemplary aspect of being a progressive and open-minded Middle Ages Crusader King . . .

homosexual = {
diplomacy = 1
martial = 2

health = 2
fertility = 0.1

sex_appeal_opinion = 10
vassal_opinion = 10

That is, being "homosexual" shall be exactly the the same as being "strong" !

My interpretation is that "homosexual" trait is a coming out trait. Until, you have the trait, you could be homosexual but just in the closet. If you have the trait, you're out. Not out as in how gays come out today but just that people have started to suspect you are gay and there are rumours etc.. That is why you can get the trait after many years.

I think it makes perfect sense and love the way they have handled it in the game.

Also, this game has never been about historical accuracy. I've had games where William the Conqueror never conquered England. So what then?

"the courtier she's with appears almost feline and thenu realize there both women"
Op. 1 Jump out of bushes and condem them as homosexuals
Op. 2 keep watching

LOL at the "courtier she's with appears almost feline". :) Also, I assume that along with all players, ai_chance = { factor = 100 } on the "keep watching" option...

LOL at the "courtier she's with appears almost feline". :) Also, I assume that along with all players, ai_chance = { factor = 100 } on the "keep watching" option...

You sir have a dirty mind
Btw just created this event and it is epic in fact it is epic x epic, until it backfired and it was the pope and my son, super creepy in fact I had to delete that save game.

You sir have a dirty mind
Btw just created this event and it is epic in fact it is epic x epic, until it backfired and it was the pope and my son, super creepy in fact I had to delete that save game.
the game just got sentient :eek:

Ir suddenly develop the trait "homosexual" (as if it was something you just 'caught' one day) at age 49 after fathering 15 children

It happened to a bloke at my work. All of a sudden he'd left his wife and four kids and moved in within another man.

Personally I think the development of the trait represents an 'outing' rather than actual participation in a particular sexual act.

Having been born with the Homosexuality trait IRL, I agree with the OP's comments. There were a number of gay monarchs in Europe's history. They all had many children though. The thing about "coming out" is ridiculous in this time period. Our construct of sexual orientation is rather new in human history. Even the straight monarchs were rather... non-monogamous, so who you're married doesn't necessarily have anything to do with preference, but politics.

The speculation is the tournament event is broken. It's not supposed to fire years later. I doesn't for participants. But it does for the ruler who calls them.

The event should be removing the flag but it doesn't. So very low probability events, over many years, eventually happen and every king who calls a tournament becomes a homosexual drunk.

The real reason for this sloppy work is the tournament events are clearly written for vassal who attend them. But the cost goes to the king who calls them. So the king gets nothing good out of them -- those relationship bonuses you think you're getting are actually you liking your vassals more, not them liking you more. It's a very expensive waste of time that most likely gives your king a very bad trait. They need to be re-written. But since few people realize this, they probably won't be.

every king who calls a tournament becomes a homosexual drunk.

Well, big guys slamming into each other at high speed with extremely long lances until one of them ends up on his back...

Maybe I should stop there. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.