• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You won't be able to make King of Germany your primary title while you are Emperor because it is a lower tier title. In other cases however, you can change which is your primary title by clicking the shield for the title and then there is a button "Make primary" on the same screen where the other usual ones would be to create/destroy/usurp a title. Don't worry though, because if you lose the election for the HRE then you will lose your Emperor title but just automatically fall back to King of Germany. You won't lose prestige, but your son will gain less prestige from month to month because of just being a King.
But if i lose my election to my "kinsman"(same dynasty) my real son is still king of Germany but i continue to play the kinsman instead of my biological son? If i then continue to play my son, i end up with 0 prestige for some strange reason?

Shouldn't i keep playing my part(my eldest son) of my dynasty instead of continuing "playing" whoever becomes HRE? Or is the game cool with is as long as its within my own dynasty?

You cannot make an inferior title your primary title.

You won't lose all your prestige. Each succession inherits a fraction of prestige that is influenced by the dynasty prestige. Your son would simply not be emperor at first. However he would still inherit the Kingdom of Germany since that is not up for election. The winner of the HRE title would simply receive the title, vassals (including you) and move the capital to one of his provinces.

But i do lose all of my prestige if i continue to play my son, the kinsman it seems gets all of the prestige while my son i left with zilch,nada,zero etc :(

Last edited:
EDE36C2F0E3C369D41BAA7B3282DEFE23D41BC34

How can I figure out why I've got 6.23 in expenses? I've got no armies or navies raised -- what else goes into expenses?

How can I figure out why I've got 6.23 in expenses? I've got no armies or navies raised -- what else goes into expenses?
Click on the coat of arms next to your character portrait at the top left and it will show you a breakdown of your expenses. Note that when you dismiss mercenaries or holy orders, the monthly expense will still show for a little while afterwards (presumably until you pay them for the time between their last pay and when you dismissed them).

What do peasant revolt do? I have seen them capture an entire county and hold it for quite some time and then they suddenly disappear. Do the make demands or something? and if so, what do they ask for?

Two questions:

When researching tech, should I be sending certain Councillors outside of my borders?

Do relations have any impact on whether you will be marked the heir of a country? For example, if I am castille and want to inherit leon, will I only be able to do this if the king of leon has no living sons? Or can I have a great relationship and potentially lay claim?

Since there is no Matrilineal marriage in the Muslim world is there still a way to have your Dynasty inherit the Timurid Empire or Sultanate of Egypt? Can you do it by Fabricating Claims?

There's no Tips Thread and didn't want to start one myself. I just wanted to note that when conquering new territory it's usually best to keep the current owner of a province in place - because then you avoid the Recently Conquered penalties, which can be very harsh.

Two questions:

When researching tech, should I be sending certain Councillors outside of my borders?

Do relations have any impact on whether you will be marked the heir of a country? For example, if I am castille and want to inherit leon, will I only be able to do this if the king of leon has no living sons? Or can I have a great relationship and potentially lay claim?

No. Last I know, you only need to send your spy outside your borders for techs. The other coucilors will do their job discovering tech, but in the province where they are.

Reputation in regards with inheritance is affected by either/both success in a mariage contract or elective laws (my 2 cents)

Is there any downside to moving your capitol outside of your de jure kingdom to a newly conquered duchy? Distance modifier is not a factor and will actually improve vis-a-vis several vassals. I assume I'll need to convert my new home to my religion first so it doesn't convert me via event?

Can someone please explain to me what exact types of wars can lords wage with medium CA? Because I cant see any lowerage of in-realm wars since I raised CA to medium in Rus (now emire of Russia. Some of this was caused by lords not in de jure kingdom of Rus, but there were also deposing liege wars etc.

So can some please tell me which kind of wars can lords fight and which not starting with medium CA? Thanks

Can someone please explain to me what exact types of wars can lords wage with medium CA? Because I cant see any lowerage of in-realm wars since I raised CA to medium in Rus (now emire of Russia. Some of this was caused by lords not in de jure kingdom of Rus, but there were also deposing liege wars etc.

So can some please tell me which kind of wars can lords fight and which not starting with medium CA? Thanks

i believe the only wars vassels that are subject to medium CA are allwoed to fight are:
1. wars outside the realm of any kind
2. depose liege/independence within the realm
3. plot started wars(aka, war against tyranny if guy X wants to revoke X). this also goes for diplomaticly asking someone to give them your lands.

also, you are always allowed to keep on fighting a war you started BEFORE medium CA. lastly, when your realm is not counted in the medium CA area but say a limitid CA kingdom you are allowed to war as usual.

Very silly question here. How do you move units around?
Sometimes mine move, sometimes they don't. Merging is a pain. How do I get two units on the same tile, what sequence of clicks should I do? Can you merge ships with embarked units?

i believe the only wars vassels that are subject to medium CA are allwoed to fight are:
1. wars outside the realm of any kind
2. depose liege/independence within the realm
3. plot started wars(aka, war against tyranny if guy X wants to revoke X). this also goes for diplomaticly asking someone to give them your lands.

also, you are always allowed to keep on fighting a war you started BEFORE medium CA. lastly, when your realm is not counted in the medium CA area but say a limitid CA kingdom you are allowed to war as usual.

Hm. Thats pretty much all wars except in-realm de jure claims? Not much advantages in that. Does it change (the war options) when you go to high or absolute CA at all?

Hm. Thats pretty much all wars except in-realm de jure claims? Not much advantages in that. Does it change (the war options) when you go to high or absolute CA at all?
It prevents wars initiated by claims the vassal have. This prevents vassals fabricating claims and pressing them as well as pressing claims they might have inherited or gained in other ways; this is probably the majority of wars (excluding revolt/depose, which the game realistically couldn't have crown authority stopping), but certainly not all of them. When you go to absolute crown authority, it will also prevent vassals waging wars against rulers in other realms but won't change internal wars. Personally I think it's pretty essential to have medium crown authority to keep your realm in order. I usually only go up to high crown authority if I want to change to primogeniture and maximum crown authority just feels like a really bad idea for the penalties.

How do I change the primary holding in a province? I revoked a county from a prince-bishop so I gained the bishopric as my holding. If I revoke the title of the local baron will his castle revert to the primary holding?

Is there any downside to moving your capitol outside of your de jure kingdom to a newly conquered duchy? Distance modifier is not a factor and will actually improve vis-a-vis several vassals. I assume I'll need to convert my new home to my religion first so it doesn't convert me via event?

It depends IMHO. Is the new capital has more holdings or better techs? I find this questionnable but I tend to choose techs over holdings amount. I may be wrong but you could have an opinion hit because your capital is not from the kingdom you have set. Just don`t take my word for it though