• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice ketchup-effect. Nothings moves in a month and then suddenly everything breaks. This is a very dangerous moment for the Allies. They really would need to fend you off for about two more month, too give you a bad sellection of dates for Barbarossa, but it will be very difficult for them to delay you that much now.

Reports to the US Ambassy say that BEF withdrew just before beeing encircled (kind of successfull Dunkerk). French are on their own.

I will post (USA AAR soon in a theater near you), within a few days, text & pictures to help people get a better sense of what is going on:

- France against ITA: Genoa French beachhead / Sardignia conquest
- ROMANIA/ITA Yugoslavian Split
- ROMAMNIA's Bulgarian conquest
- North Africa under UK/CAN control
- UK Invasion of Sicily underway
- CAN's conquest of Ethiopia

and:

- USA/USSR playing cards, waiting for events to put them in the lineup instead of sitting on the bench. ;)

Who is ruling the skies? I see a little bit of both air forces.

Pretty much the Allies so far. UK and FR could add further comment on this.

Last edited:
From the UK point of view, Germany hammered the lines repeatedly, eventually pounding it with armor over and over and over again in the same spot. The reason the breakout occurred so quickly is that the UK forces were pretty out of org, as were alot of french forces, just from the continuous rotating of divisions in an out. Once the breakout occurred, the Germans started quickly cutting down the coast to try and cut off the escape path of the BEF. I won't reveal the extent to which that was successful or not, as I would hate to correct any misinformation the enemy may have.

As a State of the Union (Jack), the British have been successful on nearly every front. France was held longer than anticipated, the Luftwaffe is our personal whipping boy that we beat up on anytime we feel like it, Germany continues to be subjected to constant strat bombing, and invasions in the Netherlands and Denmark continue to destroy isloated divisions before the German player can react. The Kriegsmarine has been completely dismantled and UK convoys are being sunk at a rate of roughly 1-2 a month.

In Africa, three divisions of German light panzers, three divisions of german infantry, and two Italian divisions (including one motorized) were captured in a botched campaign to take control of North Africa. Uk/Canadian forces control all but one N. African ports, and have effective destroyed any means of Axis resistance. The Italian navy continues to suffer losses, while Allied losses have been minimal. Most Italian subs have sunk as well. I won't comment on the pending invasion of Sicily concerning our goals and objectives there. The only thing I can confirm at this time is that a single British division is currently located on Sicily.

Oh dear, that's quite the breakout. So much for France, but Britain seems to be doing very well so far. It gives the Allies a much better chance than they had in the last game, I think.

As a question, is there any plans for France to not go VIchy, and instead carry on the fight from North Africa? There still is a good chance they could withdraw a number of their troops from France....

As a question, is there any plans for France to not go VIchy, and instead carry on the fight from North Africa? There still is a good chance they could withdraw a number of their troops from France....

Current GER objective against France is establishing Vichy. I don't see how they could avoid that fate... unless GER changes his war objective. France could move troops out of Europe and send them in territories that will go to the Free French (some African territories, of which I don't have the list).

Nice ketchup-effect. Nothings moves in a month and then suddenly everything breaks. This is a very dangerous moment for the Allies. They really would need to fend you off for about two more month, too give you a bad sellection of dates for Barbarossa, but it will be very difficult for them to delay you that much now.

Edit: Who is ruling the skies? I see a little bit of both air forces.

The Luftwaffe is not ruling the skies. About holding their own for now. They had been a bit battered earlier.

From the UK point of view, Germany hammered the lines repeatedly, eventually pounding it with armor over and over and over again in the same spot. The reason the breakout occurred so quickly is that the UK forces were pretty out of org, as were alot of french forces, just from the continuous rotating of divisions in an out. Once the breakout occurred, the Germans started quickly cutting down the coast to try and cut off the escape path of the BEF. I won't reveal the extent to which that was successful or not, as I would hate to correct any misinformation the enemy may have.

As a State of the Union (Jack), the British have been successful on nearly every front. France was held longer than anticipated, the Luftwaffe is our personal whipping boy that we beat up on anytime we feel like it, Germany continues to be subjected to constant strat bombing, and invasions in the Netherlands and Denmark continue to destroy isloated divisions before the German player can react. The Kriegsmarine has been completely dismantled and UK convoys are being sunk at a rate of roughly 1-2 a month.

In Africa, three divisions of German light panzers, three divisions of german infantry, and two Italian divisions (including one motorized) were captured in a botched campaign to take control of North Africa. Uk/Canadian forces control all but one N. African ports, and have effective destroyed any means of Axis resistance. The Italian navy continues to suffer losses, while Allied losses have been minimal. Most Italian subs have sunk as well. I won't comment on the pending invasion of Sicily concerning our goals and objectives there. The only thing I can confirm at this time is that a single British division is currently located on Sicily.

After Preparations A, B, and C didn't work, I finally hit upon Preparation H. That, of course, intitially included what is referred to by serious war gamers as The Ugly Guy Maneuver. This particular variant included clicking an armored unit off of a successful attack. Missing from the above described events is the reason that I had to continue to hammer away in the same spot. The Allies were pouring all manner of reinforcements into the fight.

I would love to point out the reason for the success of Preparation H, but I can't. I may need to pull it out of my butt again someday. :D

lol The UG Maneuver. Love it. Sad but true. I did it again last session. Fortunately only lost an HQ that time.

USA AAR
BOTTOM OF THE 4th INNING

NEW POST MARCH 18th
NORTH AMERICAN MP GAME #2

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?584260-North-America-Series-2-FTM

During the period of March 8th to July 31st 1940, the War in Europe kept spreading, as Belgium, Yugoslavian and Bulgaria all fell after Axis invasion. France is still fighting but a black destiny looms over its shoulders as Nazis finally broke through La Demer River line of defense, North of Brussels [see post #?? ]. Romania, who joined the Axis during the winter, was very aggressive in the Balkans, and so were the Italians. Death and sorrow is all the Axis brought to Europe.

SOFIA LAST BREATH OF LIBERTY
Chicago Herald Tribune
Spring 1940

In April 1940, Romanian war machine invaded Bulgaria. As was reported by US Ambassador Foster, based in Sofia: “We could hear the rumbling of combats on the border for a whole week, mainly artillery firing. The government looked completely stunned by the invasion and ordered a full mobilization of all Bulgarian forces only 3 days after the start of the invasion. On the 10th day of the invasion, routed units could be seen near Sofia, and some even reached the city, bringing news so horrible they can’t be summarized here. Civilians are leaving the city in mass. On May 10th, as our plane was leaving Sofia, we could see the most advanced Romanian units entering the Northern suburbs of the city. In the South, we could see the long lines of civilians and soldiers fleeing toward Greece for a future unknown.”

What was reported later by a Bulgarian Press reporter is that Bulgarian High Command had been encircled East of Sofia on May 9th by the Romanians, who inflicted a major blow to the Bulgarian hopeless defense. A week later, Bulgaria was surrendering to Bucharest.

Sofia’s Fall

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e6af355183388b4a#cid=E6AF355183388B4A&id=E6AF355183388B4A!160

(1) All images were provided by Bulgarian Press members
(2) Click to enlarge pictures

YUGOSLAVIAN AGONY
Chicago Herald Tribune
Summer 1940

In 1937, apprehending a Romanian invasion, the Yugoslavian High Command devised a plan to counter any such invasion. This plan, called Operation Timis, was designed to crush logistical and supplies capacities of Romania, if the latter was to DoW Yugoslavia. The name “Timis” was chosen because the main axis of this pre-emptive attack would be the Timis River.

Soon after its invasion of Bulgaria, Romanian High Command, probably over enthusiastic after its quick victory, ordered its troops to cross the Yougoslavian border. The regions of Ada and Pavano were targeted as the main war objectives of the Romanian Ogre. As planned, Operation Timis was triggered: Cavalry Division Filipovic and regular infantry divisions 3rd and 8th were sent into Romanian territory, to seize supplies and destroy facilities. The operation was a huge success, as it took the Romanians by surprise and allowed to deter the initial advance by the Romanian foe. Sadly, the Yugoslavian High Command failed to build on its early success and, within 2 weeks, the Romanian troops were besieging Belgrade.

Overconfidence? Mismanagement? Whatever the reason, the Romanians preferred to go deep into Yugoslavian territory, instead of taking Belgrade. They paid a high price for this lack of wisdom, as Mussolini, seeing an occasion to bolster Italy’s economy and spread fascism across the Balkans, ordered his troops to invade Yugoslavia too, through Solvenia. This two fronts invasion was more than the Yugoslavian battered army could sustain. And, as could be foreseen, it quickly collapsed. By the end of July 1940, Yugoslavia surrendered to Italy, thus depriving its initial foe (Romania) from a total victory.

The failure of Operation Timis

Operation Timis
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e6af355183388b4a#cid=E6AF355183388B4A&id=E6AF355183388B4A!163

Romanian Counter Attack
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e6af355183388b4a#cid=E6AF355183388B4A&id=E6AF355183388B4A!162

(1) Images were taken by Yugoslavian civilians and refugees and brought to your eyes by US Embassy in Athena

Yugoslavian Romanian/Italian zones of occupation

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e6af355183388b4a#cid=E6AF355183388B4A&id=E6AF355183388B4A%21164

(1)Click to enlarge picture

MEDITERRANEAN CONFLICT
Chicago Herald Tribune
Summer 1940

Hard pressed by Axis Faction leader Adolf Hitler, Itlay DoW France at the end of Spring 1940. Unimpressed by Italy’s aggressive stance, French High Command ordered a massive naval operation on Italy’s possessions. Amphibious assault of Genoa (to deprieve the Italians from a supply source and of its industrial capabilities) and Sardignia (for resources control) were launched simultaneously, surprising Italy High Command. Both targets quickly fell to France, who quickly garrisoned them.

During the same period of time, both Canadians and UK troops invaded North African Italy’s possessions, Tobruk, Bengazi and Tripoli (the latter failed initially). This invasion followed the complete annihilation of Ethiopia fascist regime in March 1940 by Canadian expeditionary forces. It is during this operation that German mobile force (LARM brigades) was defeated and eventually captured by Allied troops.

In July 1940, UK began Operation Torch: invasion of Sicily…

North Africa Campaign

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e6af355183388b4a#cid=E6AF355183388B4A&id=E6AF355183388B4A%21161

Last edited:
Time for the Canadian Report on the war.
Current Date of War- JULY 31st, 1940

I have played Canada several times and knew that as always, manpower is canada's main problem. So starting in 1936, I invested heavily Manpower enhancing doctrines. It has paid off as Canada can steadily produce several divisions every year. However, in 1940, I have had to start producing planes because my manpower is so restricted at this point.

Knowing I would have a small army, I aimed to get the maximum that I could get out of each division. So I have invested heavily in each division, and have created a specialized army with nummerous special forces, trying to spread the talents of my army.

The biggest disappointment so far, was my heavy investment in Naval and Air doctrines. With the UK owning the air and especially the seas, that research was all for nought. That LS would have been better spent enahncing my ground forces.

TO THE ACTION:

ON THE CEILING OF THE WORLD
Canada's first operation was actually in Iceland and Greenland. With the UK's attention in France it was up to the Canadians to recapture Iceland and Greenland to deny them to the germans. I occupied the ports of the two islands, not knowing that I would have to retake the entire island so that the US would get the speical "Occ. of Iceland event". Unfortunately I did not know that the UK had to occupy the islands. However, after several months of marching (it takes a LOOONG time to occupy Greenland) faroe islands, iceland, and greenland were all firmly Canadian.

greenland.jpg

EAST AFRICAN FRONT

Knowing that the Canadian forces would be most useful on the periphery of the war until they were strengthened, I choose to position my forces in East Africa, to quickly eliminate Axis resistance there. Though not always the most useful area for the Italians, denying the ports to Italian submarines was the main objective of the operation. Pre-positioned forces in British Somaliland and the port below Mogadishu, waited paitiently for the Italians to enter the war. Once they did, the Royal Canadian Mounted Corps in British Somaliland quickly marched straight to Addis Abba, and captured the capital in about three weeks (much faster than the 5 months it took the Italians), Knocking the Ethiopians out of the war. Democracy was installed there overthrowing the Monarchy, and a puppet regime was established. We puppeted so that we wouldn't be harassed by Ethiopian Resistance fighters spawning. Once Ethiopia was taken, the two italians ports in the area were quickly taken by Royal Canadian Marines. By my tally, the operation in Italy cost the italians three poorly trained divisions. Although 1 divisions did appear to have some regular infantry in it.

ethiopia.jpg

Ethiopian forces pursuing Italian remants.

NORTH AFRICAN FRONT

While Canada was taking Ethiopia the British in Africa, were being pushed to the brink. Already pushed out of Alexandria, they were desperately trying to hold on to the West Bank of the Suez. Canadian forces slowly moved into place, limited transport capacity, among the UK as they were holding the last few provinces in Egypt. However, the tide turned in Egypt when the British executed a brilliant landing at El Alamein cutting off at least 7 Italian-German divisions. It took several months but these divisions were eventually forced to retreat to Alexandria, where they dug in and fought a desperate last stand. Not wanting to waste valuable manpower in a battle of attrition, with Britain's blessing, I started attacking the lightly defended Italian ports. (It should be noted that Italy has some fairly experienced air commanders now as their aircraft with total air superiority mercilessly pounded canadian and UK forces in Africa.) The valuable fortress of Tobruk was the first to fall in a matter of hours. The italians, only had an HQ guarding it, as an infantry division had just left the province hours earlier. Tobruk was captured without any casualties.

Looking to capitalize on the lightly defended ports, Canadian forces quickly redeployed to Malta. There they made a simultaneous landing at the two Italian ports south of malta. Once they landed, they battled three divisions of Militia and quickly routed and destroyed them.

Throughout this time the New Royal Canadian Air Force continues to grow. It consists of CAS and MFTR, whose role is ground attack. The mixed blessing of the lack of manpower is that soon Canada will have the premier Ground-attack air force in the world. Perhaps the doctrines were well spent. All though the Italian interceptors are formidible and Air Superiority over Italy is still up for grabs.

sicly.jpg

Current State of Sicilian Operation.

Now Canadian forces are resting and refitting, awaiting the next operation.

BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC
Finally, I would like to add that the Battle of the Atlantic is over. The UK has one and the covoy's are sailing smoothly. The crafty Canadian Mariners have not lost a single convoy. The 100 convoys yet to be used are likely to help plug the hole of any losses suffered in the upcoming war with the Japanese.

Question to the Community of MP's?
What is the community's stance on allowing at the start of the game the "prepare for war" declaration? Currently we do not allow it and it severly hampers minor's ability to a basic army going. Frankly I don't see the point of denying them the ability to start getting geared up for war. Opinions?

Attachments

• Greenland.jpg
    Greenland.jpg
    72,1 KB · Views: 46
  • Ethiopia.jpg
    Ethiopia.jpg
    200,8 KB · Views: 40
  • sicly.jpg
    sicly.jpg
    143,9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
(...) Already pushed out of Alexandria, they were desperately trying to hold on to the West Bank of the Suez. Canadian forces slowly moved into place, limited transport capacity, among the UK as they were holding the last few provinces in Egypt. However, the tide turned in Egypt when the British executed a brilliant landing at El Alamein cutting off at least 7 Italian-German divisions. It took several months but these divisions were eventually forced to retreat to Alexandria, where they dug in and fought a desperate last stand.

On Suez:
So, basically, the German LARM were usefull as they almost quicked out UK from Suez? I'm asking because, as USA, I can't see what is happening on the map. So, unless someone alerts me on a specific topic or event, I missed most of the action.

On the game itself:
Truly, next game, we will have to implement something different. Game is way too boring when you have to sit on the side for a veryyyyyyyy long [long as in taking all territories in Groenland...:rolleyes:]
Maybe, as Ugly suggested me, we could have a French/USA combo. Player going in 1st as France, then, once France has fallen, switching to USA and taking from where AI left it.

Italian-German divisions won the land battles, but they overextended themselves. A combination of a brilliant landing at El Almein and British reinforcements in Eastern Egypt allowed the Allies to escape a very precarious situation. Once the crack divisions were surrounded in the Siege of Alexandria and destroyed, the rest of the North African Campaign was mop up. With France falling it will get very interesting now.

Exciting stuff! Romania took a ton of territory.

Exciting stuff! Romania took a ton of territory.

They will just make it easier for me to rule the baltics... i will only have to declare on one nation, and will be able to "liberate" the territory :).

On the game itself: Truly, next game, we will have to implement something different. Game is way too boring when you have to sit on the side for a veryyyyyyyy long [long as in taking all territories in Groenland...:rolleyes:]
Maybe, as Ugly suggested me, we could have a French/USA combo. Player going in 1st as France, then, once France has fallen, switching to USA and taking from where AI left it.

We currently have 10 spots to fill. If we went AI USA (which I think would be a disaster later on for the Allies), we would then be short a spot unless we added another minor or co-op.

We currently have 10 spots to fill. If we went AI USA (which I think would be a disaster later on for the Allies), we would then be short a spot unless we added another minor or co-op.

I've put my reply in the GAME THREAD, to not overload the AAR thread.

On Suez:
So, basically, the German LARM were usefull as they almost quicked out UK from Suez? I'm asking because, as USA, I can't see what is happening on the map. So, unless someone alerts me on a specific topic or event, I missed most of the action.

The outcome was never in doubt. The Italians almost managed to cut off a lone infantry division at one time because of the LARM, but quick witted British commanders prevented that. Although it took awhile for the British to mount an offensive, control of the Suez was never threatened.

Question to the Community of MP's?
What is the community's stance on allowing at the start of the game the "prepare for war" declaration? Currently we do not allow it and it severly hampers minor's ability to a basic army going. Frankly I don't see the point of denying them the ability to start getting geared up for war. Opinions?

Think this question should go in the main thread, if only to make sure all the players see.

---------------------------------------------------------
Romania's bold new(b) leadership:

The 1940 election brought Fascism to Romania, and with it prospects of expansion, fighting the Bolshevik menace, Axis glory or whatever, and hopefully not the Second Vienna Award.

Our first, swift conquest was met with a stern warning from Stalin: "Attack Turkey, and I occupy Germany". And then he stole Bessarabia. what a dick.

Before finishing Sofia though, I wanted to make sure to stay in a state of war. So I decided to DoW the allies. Unfortunately, the new Romanian high command ("RHC", who will hereafter be deemed responsible for all such blunders) was unfamiliar with the diplomatic intricacies of declaring war, and inadvertently dragged Japan into it. We had to reload the last autosave. Oops.

Okay, let's try a limited declaration. And make it Yugoslavia just to be safe.

WAR WITH YUGOSLAVIA:

This invasion was meant to just draw their troops away from important areas and let Italy have most of the country. I intended to hold a line at the Tisa/Danube/Morava rivers. It makes a nice smooth border. Plus Ada has a little energy. We may have oil, but not much coal.

I'll admit the DoW was a bit hasty, but the Yugo incursion bombastically dubbed "Operation Timis" was no cause for worry. My armor cut it off and I think there was like one factory in all that territory. I can stand to lose that for a week. It did look kind of embarrassing on the world map though. :blush:

Italy was pretty busy elsewhere, so I decided to move beyond the river line. RHC figured we'd get only the territory specified in our wargoals while they'd get the rest with "Conquer". Instead, it turns out that all occupied territory goes to the occupier regardless, and our final thrusts to victory locations were made into permanent borders. Oops.

On the plus side, Italy still got Dalmatia and we got some badly needed manpower. Plus it looks like we're flipping them off, so that's cool.

...and beyond:

With the Balkans taken care of, I was ready to declare my intention to help fight the Allies. Hirohito was kind enough to inform me that a German "call to arms" wouldn't result in his premature entry. So I requested just that, before finishing Belgrade.

Unfortunately, this decision was as hasty as the two earlier DoWs. You see, Yugoslavian subs had been attacking Romanian trade convoys. RHC sent a destroyer flotilla on patrol, then promptly forgot that it existed. It was only after the fact when I learned that the entire Romanian surface fleet was instantly vaporized by the British BBs they were right next to. And of course, this rendered the trade routes useless anyway. Oops...

Unfortunately, this decision was as hasty as the two earlier DoWs. You see, Yugoslavian subs had been attacking Romanian trade convoys. RHC sent a destroyer flotilla on patrol, then promptly forgot that it existed. It was only after the fact when I learned that the entire Romanian surface fleet was instantly vaporized by the British BBs they were right next to. And of course, this rendered the trade routes useless anyway. Oops...

Learning the hard way... :unsure:

Couldn't resist to add some flavor over the Yugoslavian irruption into your home territory. Gave some life to the game.

A little update of our latest AAR...

________________________________________________________________________________

USA AAR
BOTTOM OF THE 4th INNING

UPDATED POST MARCH 19th
NORTH AMERICAN MP GAME #2

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?584260-North-America-Series-2-FTM

PRESIDENT DECLARED LIMITED NATIONAL EMERGENCY
Chicago Herald Tribune
Summer 1940

Given Italy’s DoW against France, and in recognition of our strong bonds with France, with whom we share a trading relationship and a tradition of democracy, The President of the United States, F.D. Roosevelt, declared the status of Limited National Emergency. According to this special Act, The President is authorized to take whatever measures he deems necessary to prepare the United States of America to the World conflict that looms ahead, aggressive measures that could trigger a war excepted.

The 1st gesture of the President, under his new founded powers, was to authorize new economic laws to enhance the production devoted to the war effort. Priority was given to the Navy to allow, as Chief Admiral advocated, “(…) the Navy to fully fulfill its mission of defending National interests at home and overseas, against any threat, would it be of political, economic or military nature.” As a consequence of this new strategy, the Marine Corps size was extended. The Corps will now encompass more than 20 full divisions on a permanent basis. Also, full scale production of new models of Carrier Vessels, warships designed to support mobile air warfare, was initiated. “With those new ships, jewel of the Navy, we shall have at our disposal the weapons that will allow us to wreak havoc on those who would dare defy us”, added the Chief Admiral. Among other things, The USS Enterprise, Crown of the Fleet, was sent for refurbishing and refit in Norfolk.

An agreement with Philippines was also struck. According to this new agreement, USA will increase its garrisons of the island. USA also reiterated its engagement to retaliate against any country who would declare war on Philippines. In exchange, Philippines agreed to extend for 25 years the rights granted to USA for use of naval bases and airfields located on the archipelagos.

Some boys in action

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e6af355183388b4a#cid=E6AF355183388B4A&id=E6AF355183388B4A%21159

(1) Click to enlarge the picture
(2) Courtesy of wikipedia

Last edited: