• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

xjermx

I'm [REDACTED]!!
28 Badges
Apr 4, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
Here's the rules:

Don't post in this thread unless its to post your brief AAR. Keep it short and concise.

Here's mine: (posted after the fact, so its all from memory)

Bolesław II, King of Poland, is remembered for his long a fairly peaceful rule. He saw some small consolidations of power, and marriages to many Royal Families. Sadly, his son was quite a disappointment. A hunchback, and homosexual, the vassals beneath him chafed at his rule, and he expired quite suddenly after only 3 years of rule. His brother (should have written names down) had a nearly 40 year rule, and was known as Ironsides. He further consolidated crown authority, and waged some limited warfare and gained some small holdings against the northern pagans, but was hedged in by Denmark. He fought an early war of succession against a brother who owned much of north east Poland, but came out victorious.

After Ironsides came a ruler who's name escapes me, and his rule was equally boring. He made further centralization measure for the Crown, and even instituted succession rules to see that only his own children would succeed his titles (which would be the undoing of the Dynasty). When he died and was succeeded by his young son, some of the vassals rebelled and war endured for a few years.

Eventually, Bohemia declared war for control of the Crown of Poland. Sadly, the current King's forces were in such a shambles that they were swept aside and some nobody in southern Germany became King of Poland.

After a few years of planning and preparation, the Duke of Poland rebelled, seeking to reclaim the Crown. After more than a few years of war, he was successful at doing so, but found that the Polish Crown was subject of the Holy Roman Empire, and to add insult to injury, he had married into a line which followed the wife's dynasty. So the new King of Poland's children were all of some minor Bohemian Family. All three of them.

When he directed an assassin to take care of t he first one, the charade was all over, and he was jailed by the Holy Roman Emperor. A plea for reprieve was met only with an Oubliette. Thus died the line.

I love this game.

Svatobor Premyslid was the nephew of the Duke of Bohemia. He grew up to be skilled at naught but plotting. When uncle Konrad died he inherited the county of Brno and started plotting to murder the duke. Duke Vratislav discovered this plot and attempted to imprison him. He evaded imprisonment at the Duke's hands only to be imprisoned by the Holy Roman Emperor. He paid his ransom to the emperor just in time for Duke Vratislav's forces to overrun Brno, so got thrown into a Bohemian jail.

The Duke was worried about the lack of sons being born to his family and had too little authority to deprive Svatobor of his county, so so reluctantly released him and told him to go back to Brno and procreate (using 4-letter words to deliver this message).

Uncle Ota then murdered uncle Jaromir to make himself Vratislav's heir, so Svatobor responded in kind by murdering Ota to make himself heir.

Vratislav was crowned king of Bohemia and conquered the county of Lausitz. Svatobor's wife was caught plotting to kill the king and agreed to his demand to abandon the plot. She soon died. There was no evidence that the cause of death was Svatobor wanting a wife who was more committed to becoming Queen, but that didn't stop king Vratislav suspecting it.

Vratislav died attacking Brandenburg after his daughter-in-law, the Duchess of Meissen joined forces with the Brandenburgers.

Svatobor was king at last! He raised the forces of Brno, led them north to join the royal army in Brandenburg and died in his first battle.

William the Bastard..... took English Crown, made the mistake of marrying daughter to French King. Dies. Son gets invaded by France and loses everything!

Suni Caliph Al-Qa'im, attacked both the Arab tribes and the Seljuke Turks, gaining one province from the first and two from the later.

His son fought more wars with the Turks to increase the Caliphate's holdings, but to no avail. Rose to aid the duke of Edessa against the Infidel Byzantines but had to run back to the capital packing after a major defeat. In an attempt to raise the Caliphate's prestige, he rose to attack the Byzantines again, this time, in coordination with their distant relatives, the Fatimids [they attacked, so i attacked as well, we weren't allied, every one of their caliphs was zealous... which prevented any chance of an alliance] only to have my laptop's plug pulled out and there goes my game of two days long.....

edit: of interesting note. the Byzantine Emperor, [the one they start with, Kostantine, i believe, -i don't recall, so pardon if it's not him- got nicknamed the "Lame" .... i nearly rolled on the floor laughing when a vassal of his declared war, i checked what he's up to and it said: fighting Kostantine the Lame for independence]

mine [ Al-Qa'im ] got called the old.

Erik the Heathen, Jarl of Uppland, was the norse pagan bastard son of old king Emund who'd been forced to see how his upstart Christian brother-in-law Stenkil had taken the throne on the king's death. He was going to reclaim the throne, but he knew he had to be careful. All the pagan chiefs in the north of the country were behind him, but the Christian dukes in the south were more powerful.

He passed time by building his strength (all the military improvements i could) and by claiming the duchy of Bergslagen (which gave me a ducal claim on Christian Värmland) None of the southern lords liked him very much, thus making it impossible to take the throne under Sweden's elective law. He finally got his chance when the duke of Östergötland declared independence and started a war against Stenkil.

Jarl Erik sized the moment and invaded Värmland, counting on Stenkil to be to busy with the uprising to handle it. Count Stibolt was crushed and forced to submit, and Erik demobilized.

And the he relized that Östergötland's rebellion was still going on, despite the duke having a third of the king's forces. Fortune favors the bold, Erik rebelled and raised all his levies and as many mercenaries as money could buy. A few years of sieges and calculated battles later, Erik could claim the throne as king of a pagan Sweden.

It did not end, though. The Christian dukes were still furious at him and Stenkil had kept his title as duke of Västergötland. One after one the dukes of Västergötland, Östergötland and Småland rebelled, were crushed and thrown in the dungeon.

And the Christian Norway declared Holy War! The last days of the story saw King Erik banishing a few dukes to buy mercenaries with their money. The battle on a field outside Västerås against the main norwegian army was not yet finished, but Erik was winning.

So I started of as Duke of Aquitaine, Gascony, Poitou and pretty much the strongest vassal of the French King. I began the game with the aim of independence so I opened up my intrigue tab and found to my delight "Kill King Phillip of France" availible. Since it would be best to have a weak monarch poor Phillip died suddenly of a heartattack (or so they say ;) ) His brother gave me the position of spymaster and seneshal of France which I gladly accepted. Nothing beats subverting the realm from the inside! Seeking to expand my powerbase my son married the daughter of the duke of toulouse not only to establish an alliance but also to get a chance to inherit it. Alas as fate wanted it the brothers of my daughter-in-law all happened to have "accidents" and when old Duke Guilhem died and his son inherited the entire southern half of France was under my control and poised to become a real powerhouse as soon as the grandson inherits.

Newly crowned duke Guichard did not waste any time after assuming power. Forging a claim on Brittany and subsequently invading them and taking the ducal title the duchy of aquitaine no stretched across the entire coastline of France except for normandy and flanders. Guichards son was betrothed to the sister of the duke of burgundy to grab a powerful ally. Meanwhile the French king fought a war with the muslims in iberia who had obliterated the quarreling kingdoms of the christians and took barcelona. His gain abroad was not for long though as Guichard put his long-planned scheme into play. Delivering an ultimatum to his liege, demanding the crown or be faced with the consequences. Nevertheless he fought for his throne against the majority of his vassals (only normandy and flanders staying on his side) and was captured in battle making Duke Guichard, Guichard I. de Poitou, King of France. Guichard consolidated his reign by imprisoning several scheming vassals (especially normandy and orleans) and increasing crown authority until he was the undisputed ruler of France. Following that success he went on to defend europe against the infidels and spearheaded several attacks on the muslim emirates in Iberia (which were in civil war themselves thanks to handy "sow dissent"-missions and short reigns of the emirs. Conquering Navarra, Aragon and Castille Guichard also crowned himself King of a resurgent Castille. All these achievements lead to him being known as "King Guichard I., the Noble, of France and Castille" he lived on for quite a while and when his son Guichard inherited everything seemed to be going smoothly

Guichard II. would have been a great ruler if fate had not played him badly. Shortly after his inthronisation the dangers of his overambitious family became apparent when his brothers (Dukes of Gascony, Bourbon and Auvergne) launched a war to dethrone him. Going through an intense struggle Guichard maintained his grip on the throne but was wounded in the war, which proved to be fatal as Guichard never healed from it and died in his 30's, leaving an uneasy realm for his son Guillaume, who was still in minority.

Guillaume first years of reign in minority where dangerous and he had to suppress several revolts of his family. He also had to yield to the request to lower crown authority as the plot gained too many backers to be able to fight it. Finally reaching legal age Guillaume tried to make good the losses in the beginning of his reign and tried to regain the lost authority. But he had to face stiff challenges as a resurgent house of capet (gaining the duchies of valois and normandy through marriages) declared war to retake the crown. Following in the wake of this bloody struggle were the muslims of Iberia who had consolidated and invaded as soon as Guillaume headed north to take on the Capets. After years of struggles and emptying of the entire royal treasury Guillaume had been able to stem the tide of misfortune and repelled not only the infidel but also imprisoned the leaders of the Capet-revolt. Just as it looked like a few years of tranquil peace for the realm the king was elevated to the realm of heaven and one of his elder relatives inherited as his sons had not survived into adulthood (all got killed by my family...).

King Guichard III. had been in his 50's when he inherited the throne and he had never been the healthiest person and soon enough he was struck by infirmity and illness. Sensing weakness the younger members of House de Poitou raised their flags in revolt and another bloody civil war tore the realm apart. Although the revolt was serious the king looked in control of the situation until the Capets seeing the strife within the ruling family struck as well. These news were too much for Guichard and he had a mental breakdown which resulted in incapicitating him (the incapable trait really hurts!). France was now stuck in a 3-way war between rival branches of house de poitou and the capets. Exhausting the realm in a decade of war another scourge befell France as the infidels struck again. The King locked in battle with his pretenders had to yield all of his Iberian possesions but was able to keep a hold on his royal title of Castille. The civil war in France was now reaching its decisive phase and came down to the simple fact that money matters. As the royal coffers where empty the mercenaries switched sides (amusingly some went over to the capets and some to the other branch of de Poitou) and the king was reduced to watch his realm evaporate around him (Everyone in France was in revolt except for my personal desmene and the dukes of flanders and bourbon). Having eliminated the first contender the war dragged on as the two remaining factions continued their struggle. After 15 years of war the Duke of Gascony was crowned king of france, Guichard III. was able to retain his personal holdings and was still king of castille but died soon after the end of the war.

His successor Robert put everything in motion to regain the lost titles but as the new king of france consolidated he had to fend him off as he claimed the titles which had been left with Guichard. Unable to resist the entire might of France Robert surrendered to the king and became a vassal, plotting the return to power of his branch of the family (being the heir of the current king of france).

at this point I stopped playing :D But damn, I would have loved to have a save of that session for the release!
I had used some modding to play at startdate 666 with the characters of 1066.

I took up the mantle of Count Eglimar of Oldenburg, a relative backwater of the Duchy of Brunswick in the Holy Roman Empire. Eglimar sought to improve Oldenburg while improving his relations with his liege, Duke Ordulf (and then Duke Magnus). When Eglimar died in 1090, his son Luitpold became Count of Oldenburg. He immediately set his sights upon the neighboring Prince Bishopric of Bremen, which he was keen to wrest control of. Through a previously arranged betrothal, Luitpold soon found himself married to Queen Agnes of Hungary. And soon the Hungarians plot the death of my son, Rudger. Eventually Luitpold expired and Oldenburg was left in the hands of Rudger (and his wife, the Princess of Aragon). After finally manufacturing a claim to the neighboring Bishopric of Bremen, the brief war went very poorly, and Rudger was imprisoned, and his son Lubert assassinated. Though being moved to house arrest, Rudger died, and his second son, Luitpold ascended.

All Hail King Luitpild I of Hungary! Of course, everyone except Duchess PanniParoska of Pest, who has rebelled against the crown. Then Duke Peter of Wallachia joins the revolt after getting news that I'm a homosexual. I eventually gave up the homosexuality, but Hungary is still a right mess. I manage to crush a duke just in time for two others to rebel, rinse repeat. It was a complete surprise when King Luitpild died at age 23 in the midst of the losing end of a civil war, and his grand-uncle took over as King. At 62 years old. (score 1976) In no time, the aged King Augustin of Hungary was dead and his daughter became Queen Frida. As the Hungarian Ducal war ground on, Frida found herself excommunicated, and soon after, the Kings of Sweden, Bohemia and the HRE declared war. It was getting mighty crowded. Eventually, the crown was taken by force, and Frida became Duchess of Esztergom, along with a half dozen counties. She'd never gotten around to marrying, having been busy with warfare and such, but she took a young man on in the hopes of continuing the line. But alas, she passed away, leaving the House von Oldenburg with a score of 3941.

Played as the Count of Eustache, just to see what happens. Went on a hunting expedition with my Duke, where I made the mistake of pointing out that I was the better hunter. He threw me in prison, where I went crazy and then died shortly thereafter. My son became Count, and twice attempted to kill the Duke in revenge. Both times failed, but the son wasn't caught, and the Duke (worried about these mysterious assassins) hired my son as his spymaster! Of course, the third attempt was a success. My son's crimes went unnoticed, and he even became close pals with the Duke's son!

Meanwhile, four English kings died defending the throne. I noticed it skipped a generation somehow...when a King died without any children, rather than the throne going to his brother (not a bastard or excommunicated or anything), it went to the brother's underaged son. This son surrendered. William won and became "William the Conqueror"....but it took him twenty years to do it, and he died a year or two later. His son became King, but was still fighting those damned Norwegians. ;c)

France and Leon did a great job of running the Muslims out of Iberia, while the Byzantine empire split into a million counties.

(Demo, extended play, second or third play overall in any Crusader King game) As the Duke of Connatch I realized that my second son was much much better than my heir. So I murderer my heir and his two infant sons, with the help of my 29 intrigue spymaster, not being discovered. Shortly after that, my new heir tell me that Catolic faith is wrong, becoming heretic, and therefore being hated by pretty much everyone (cruel trait didn´t help either).
I don´t care I said, and went in a conquest spree pushing courtier claims for counties, forming duchies and then pressin de jure ducal claims. When I needed only a couple of coins to form the Kingdom of Ireland, my old king died (was leeding troops at the age of 73, being maimed in one of his last battles), and... the realm goes in disrepair! Civil war emerges, every one of my vassals rise against me, brother included.
I took a breath and realized that I was playing for almost 5 hours, 3 AM. Preordered right away in Steam.

The Duke of Greater Poland (Poznan) has offered a fun first game so far. Of course I started by eyeing the pagan lands to my north, and I wouldn't have to wait long for an opening. The HRE declared war on the pagan High Chief of Pomerania and Pomerelia before the end of 1066, and I watched as the pagan doomstack of 4k troops charged headlong into the imperial lands, giving me the chance to start the futile act of sieging the 1k-garrisoned Romuva provinces... except it wasn't so futile: the imperial armies were more than happy hand over the castles to me (for I got there first ^_^).

Everything almost came unhinged a few years after my acquisition of Stettin, Slupsk and Danzig though: the High Chief of Mecklemberg created the disbanded title of Duke of Pomerania before I could afford to, and nearly conquered back Stettin. Spending all of my funds on throwing mercenaries at their warrior cult doomstacks, my liege and I manged to wear them down to a white peace.

The most pressing issue turned out to be my wife. I had married a lovely princess of Hungary with incredible base-stats, but she would only go on to give me 3 daughters. Now, my character may have been a ruthless, opportunistic conqueror, but he saw so much potential in his first born daughter, Esterix, (stewardship 20 by age 16), that he decided to bank the family's survival on her. Matrilineally marrying her to a backwater Georgian diplomat, the Duke implemented elective inheritance law, and bequeathed all his realm to the young woman, who would end up inheriting it at age 24.

The gamble couldn't have turned out better:
esterixfinallands.jpg

Outliving her diplomat husband (who contributed so much to smoothing out her early years on the throne), Esterix 'the Great' reigned to the age of 59, swiftly expanding a Polish Baltic coastline from Wolfgast to Memel. Due to her swift Christianization of the new lands, by 1115, she could muster an army large enough that the King of Poland quickly bent to her request at lowering the land's crown authority. By the end of her reign, she held 5 Ducal titles, and 9 counties, spreading another 5 between her 4 first-born sons. However, it would be her 5th son, Milobrat, miraculously born in her 42nd year, who showed the most potential (read: stewardship of 22), and who would be bequeathed her lands from her deathbed in her last days.

For Milobrat, age 17, the starting position is good and the clear ambition must be to make a move towards the Polish crown. Still, due to the controversial nature of his ascendency, he will surely need to watch his back, as his 3 landed brothers and countless, land-hungry hungry cousins have their own claims on parts of his inheritance.... (Also, Novgorod is *this* close to forming the Kingdom of Rus!)

Malcolm III of Scotland began his reign learning how to load his troops onto his ships, but after repeated instances of time seemingly standing still and not allowing his ships to move, he killed himself in rage and despair on 24 September, 1066, "The Day That Time Stood Still."