• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey...I have a life, you know. :p
Sort of.

OOC: Yeah, I had a feeling something was up.

Colombia: A good fight, thank you for the assistance. I trust you find yourself justly rewarded.
Utah: Bleh, I decided from the start to play more for roleplaying than actually winning. That was fun enough, and congratulations.

Watch out, however; stranger tides are pouring forth on the breath of Chernobog. And he is hungry... *cue evil laugh* ;)

OOC: Phew! Looks like the tech investment paid off. :)

Well-fought, madtemplar. I was actually very worried when I realized what I had done by helping you build that navy, and that the opposition would be doubled. Maybe the Czardom will give you better luck with the dice. ;)

I have updated my initial embassy post!

And a public question to the GM: California produced two IP because it was a capital. Does it maintain its 2 IP production now that it has been conquered, or is it reduced to being a normal province?

Last edited:

Well-fought, madtemplar. I was actually very worried when I realized what I had done by helping you build that navy, and that the opposition would be doubled. Maybe the Czardom will give you better luck with the dice. ;)

I have updated my initial embassy post!

And a public question to the GM: California produced two IP because it was a capital. Does it maintain its 2 IP production now that it has been conquered, or is it reduced to being a normal province?

OOC: Thanks! It will be quite a difference in writing, though, having to change from Catholicism and Freedom to an oppressive, devil-worshiping cannibalistic regime. Certainly more of a challenge, for me at least.

I would assume that capitals turn into normal territories, or else they would be all one targeted in wars.

ooc: I do have to call foul. It seems unreasonable that with our pooled armies, ie. Eastern Australia will be able to defend against me like the British Capital, that a player can surround me by willing it because of CP, cutting me off on both sides. Hell, I chose my spot so I could deny access to other players to Oceania. Not an unfair strategy, considering the rules on naval supply lines. By getting Eastern Australia, it would mean Haldane gets the ability to project his navy, not only around my islands, but beyond them.

If he wants to come at me with a navy, fair and good, but this is just unfair.

OOC: How the devil have I 'come at' you? Both Australian provinces are within supply range of my starting capital; I'm rather not sure how I've perpetrated some sort of 'unfair' deception. :huh:

EDIT: And I do wish to voice my absolute joy at the long overdue appearance of the baby-eating Tsar. :D

Last edited:
OOC: Besides, Verenti, you already have a navy and he doesn't. You CAN block the supply route if that's what you want to do. Though now that he's taken Burma it looks like you'll need two navies to do it.

Last edited:
OOC: Besides, Verenti, you already have a navy and he doesn't. You CAN block the supply route if that's what you want to do. Though now that he's taken Burma it looks like you'll need two navies to do it.

OOC: Actually, as things stand, with no fleet the Raj wouldn't be able to send troops to Australia, so I guess it would be totally defenseless if you attacked before Lord Hal can build one.

thedailytelegraph.jpg

Reorganisation of the Army!
First Argie Regiments created!
Reduction of the Falklander Levy!
New Offensive against the Junta?

0211y.jpg

The new uniform of the Argentine regiments

Governor Goldsworthy, in conjunction with the Colonial Army General Staff, have today presented a radical and drastic reorganisation of the Falkands Colonial Army. This bill was presented in a public oration by the Governor in Port Stanley, who claimed that the reorganisation 'Will allow the long Argentine war to finally, and decisively, conclude.' The most prominent article of the bill concerned the creation of Argentine regiments, the most contreversial of these proposals. Ever since the Fall and the founding of the Colonial Army, the Army has been fully and resolutely British in ethnicity and class. While this has, naturally, ensured that a great deal of discipline and determination is found within our regular foot infantry, as our Dominion has stabilised and grown, this continued policy has proven taxing on our Armed Forces. More and more, the administration, civil service, and other industries are pulling Falklanders away from a career in the military, and instead into these other profitable lines of work. Likewise, the continued expansion of the Army is increasing their demands for able-bodied men. This issue of manpower has been highlighted recently, as several of our border forts in the North have been lost to the Junta, or abandoned. As a officer put it. 'The Junta can call on thrice the men we have in our disposal. We may have tactics, equipment, and discipline, but we need more numbers.'

It is believed that all of these reasons have contributed to the creation of these regiments. To raise the men necessary to fill roles in these regiments, the Argentine population, namely all Males 18-25, are to be included in the conscription census, or 'draft.' Thus, they will levied into the service of the Colonial Army. A preferential system is in use; prioritising the unemployed and those in the best of health. Taking into account recent figures regarding Argentine unemployment, it is expected that many will volunteer to join the Army, buoyed onwards by the prospect of a honest wage, meals, and comradeship. These regiments will be furnished by our budding tailoring and munitions industries, and already numerous companies have received government contracts for the creation of their weapons and uniforms.

With the immense tidal wave of manpower these measures will provide, the General Staff has decided to disband several standing British regiments. However, the fine veterans of these regiment will not be thrown into the street. They are to receive promotions to the class of officer, and will be assigned to the leadership of the Argentine forces. This provisioning article has dealt with fears that the Argies may be far too unruly, rebellious, and cowardly as soldiers. There is no doubt however, that the command of true Falklander officers will whip the recruits into fighting shape. In addition to this, the draft of Falklanders is being severely curtailed - to the age bracket of 21-25, and exempting those working in the government or civil service.

These combined measures have divided many in the country. Many applaud the changes, as not only will they alleviate some of the current conditions of the Argentine population, they will be finally put to good use in the defence of our nation. Others, even some in the military, are concerned, however. As mentioned earlier, there are fears that the credibility, reputation and standard of our Armed Forces will be shattered, and that these men will be impossible to control, and even harder to make them willing fight. Certainly these concerns have basis. After all, the Argentines are scientifically proven as cowardly, as established by research and historical evidence. Indeed, if they were fit for fighting service, would the Argentine War have been so easy?

Finally, many analysts among the press, myself included, do predict that these measures may be leading to a future aim or goal of the Governor. The strengthening of the armed forces in such a radical manner can only truly mean one thing: a new campaign is planned against the Junta. Speculation regarding the possibility of the end of our long, passive Argentine War has spread like wildfire. The Governor refused to comment on this issue however. Suffice to say, the months to come will be ones to remember.

Orders:
Spend 6 IP for the creation of 3 Armies

Last edited:
Le Temps Nouveau

Vatican Massacre!
Pope, Other Bishops Murdered by Rampaging Mob

Grave news from Rome, where the long deteriorating situation in Rome has turned to anarchy and slaughter. According to eyewitness reports, Pope Leo XIII was martyred while leading a sacred procession. The account of one small girl who witnessed the scene were as follows:

"I saw a Bishop dressed in White, I had the impression that it was the Holy Father. Other Bishops, Priests, Religious men and women going up a steep mountain, at the top of which there was a big Cross of rough-hewn trunks as of a cork-tree with the bark; before reaching there the Holy Father passed through a big city half in ruins and half trembling with halting step, afflicted with pain and sorrow, he prayed for the souls of the corpses he met on his way; having reached the top of the mountain, on his knees at the foot of the big Cross he was killed by a group of soldiers who fired bullets and arrows at him, and in the same way there died one after another the other Bishops, Priests, Religious men and women, and various lay people of different ranks and positions"

Other witnesses have verified the general facts of the story; that the Holy Father, despite his advanced age, led a procession through the half-ruined city of Rome, and that he was killed by a mob which included mutinous soldiers of both the Papal Guard and the Kingdom of Italy.

Pope Leo XIII maintained order and civilization in Rome since the Fall, as secular institutions failed and the Church stepped in to fill the void. But in the end his policy of opening Rome to refugees from the north overwhelmed the city's infrastructure. Crop failures led to starvation, and poor sanitation led to mass outbreaks of disease. While the Papacy managed to relocate many of these "pilgrims" to new homes in southern Italy and Sicily, he refused the urging of Emperor Napoleon IV to enact a mass exodus to North Africa.

As the pontiff aged, the management of Rome fell to somewhat less competent deputies. This led to growing unrest, which Pope Leo had hoped to assuage with a public show of humility and piety. Instead the procession ended with an act of violence that puts the future of the Church, and of civilization in Italy, in doubt.

HIM Emperor Napoleon IV has declared that French and Spanish forces will be dispatched forthwith to restore order in Italy. While details were not forthcoming, retaking the Holy City and holding a conclave to elect a new Holy Father are high priorities.

Army recruitment has reportedly surged in the wake of the news, as zealous French and Spanish youths rally to the cause.

OOC:Build 2 new armies, and invade Italy with 5 armies
Question: Could I use CP to try and recruit certain prominent Italian families to support my invasion, thus subtracting from the roll of the NPC italians?

OOC:Build 2 new armies, and invade Italy with 5 armies
Question: Could I use CP to try and recruit certain prominent Italian families to support my invasion, thus subtracting from the roll of the NPC italians?

OOC: Yes, I am fairly certain you can. And I was certain you would invade Portugal next! Oh well... As I said, veewy scaawy.

Watercress...good luck!

Let's hope Byzantium is picked up soon by Polar Mongoose!

OOC: Yes, I am fairly certain you can. And I was certain you would invade Portugal next! Oh well... As I said, veewy scaawy.

Watercress...good luck!

Let's hope Byzantium is picked up soon by Polar Mongoose!

OOC: With a player potentially picking up Byzantium, I thought it prudent to bump Italy up in my to-do list.

OOC: With a player potentially picking up Byzantium, I thought it prudent to bump Italy up in my to-do list.
Now, now, be kind to our new houseguests :happy:

I wish I could do something, but until GBIT responds as to what I should do as Russia (there are supposedly special plans) I can't do anything!

Definitely! You would have lost the battle without it. :eek:

It goes back to being a normal province.

I wish I could do something, but until GBIT responds as to what I should do as Russia (there are supposedly special plans) I can't do anything!

I replied to your messages. I swear I was not ignoring you; my weekend was extremely busy! :D

No, I want Technology to be the method for gaining combat bonuses.

OOC: I'd suggest that You remove the unplayed countries from the map, GBIT. It doesn't appear that they will be taken anytime soon. If they come back, we can remake what's left of their holdings.

OOC: For the one-province ones maybe, but leave mighty-yet-leaderless Byzantium.

I'm not going to wipe them off the map, but they also won't be free provinces for other players. It would be unfair to know that Mongolia will only defend with 3 Armies, or whatever the case may be. They'll all defend with a normal die roll.

The Western Civil War

rel-lds.gif

Necessity of War
It had become increasingly clear that the Californians would not rejoin the Union peacefully. The so-called “visible best,” who exercised utter control in their cities in the name of freedom, apparently so feared the Californian people’s clamoring for reunification that they invited foreign armies to defend the land. The presence of foreign troops only reaffirmed the Utahn government’s certainty that California had to be brought to heel. Thus, what had been expected to be a quick sweep turned into a dark, dangerous war.

Theodore Roosevelt drew up a plan of rapid assault, whereby the army would utilize the railroads to quickly cross the desert and attack California. The military was necessarily divided to create a pincer attack, north and south. Expecting the foreign soldiers to consolidate in central California, Roosevelt was relying on a strategic encirclement to overcome their numeric disadvantage.

J8mxt.jpg

Utahn soldiers leaving Salt Lake City, heading West

The Cowboy-Soldier in the North
In the North, the army under the command of General William Frederick Cody, met little resistance as they moved through Nevada and across the Sierra Mountains. Scouts discovered a large contingent of Californian troops, who had been garrisoned at “Nortehold” to defend against raids from the north. This army was cornered, destroyed and mostly captured in a stunning engagement in the redwood forests of Northern California.

vDxQu.jpg

The Redwood Battle

Roosevelt Commands the South
Meanwhile, the Southern Army faced enormous, unexpected difficulties. The Californians had pulled a stunning ambush along the railroad tracks across the Mojave, inflicting heavy casualties and killing the elderly General of the Territorial Armies, John C. Fremont. The news of this defeat stunned the government in Salt Lake City. In response, Theodore Roosevelt resolved to resign his post as Premier in order to take up military command of the Southern Army.

M6Ibb.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt, commanding in the Field

Bringing reinforcements with him, he managed to push the Californians out of Los Angeles with a combination of numerical supremacy and superior firepower. Not a military genius, Roosevelt nonetheless proved a competent commander and quickly secured the area. Ever ego-centric, he personally gave a speech to the people of Los Angeles—a speech which he completed despite being shot in the chest in battle the day previous—welcoming them back into the Union and urging them to join the fight against the coming Columbian invaders.

VvJD1.jpg

Utahn soldiers marching along the Southern California beach after capturing Los Angeles

Showdown at San Jose
As the northern and southern armies both closed on San Francisco, however, it was apparent the Californians had succeeded. Roosevelt’s blitz strategy had been foiled. Utahn forces were delayed just long enough for Columbian reinforcements to arrive in San Francisco. The two Utahn armies marched along the coast towards San Francisco while a third army, reinforcements from Texas, marched up the Central Valley taking control of the hinterland. Despite the enemies attempts to isolate him, General Cody in the north managed to avoid battle until Roosevelt’s larger force arrived. The two sides clashed at near the old San Jose mission, across the bay from San Francisco.

Casualties were heavy on both sides. The Utahn infantry, disciplined and well-equipped, inflicted heavy damage but was greatly outnumbered. What finally turned the battle in Utah’s favor was a bold charge by the West Riders, the volunteer cavalry brigade whom Roosevelt recklessly charged into battle at the head of.

optEg.jpg

The Battle of San Jose

The Columbians finally withdrew, boarding the ships on which they had come and fleeing over the horizon as the Utahns occupied San Francisco on their heel. It is believed most of the “Visible Best” fled on those boats as well; few were found either dead or alive by the Utahns. All that was left was to bury the dead and rebuild the ties of a shattered land.

QFRS9.jpg

United Territories troops in San Francisco

Last edited:
Untitled-3.png

Triumph in Mozambique

The arrival of 4. Armee to the front lines on the Ligonha River occurred in mid-1895. By this time, it was evident that the Portuguese and colonial remnants on the southern banks were firmly entrenched and would pose a significant hurdle to overcome when the fresh campaign began in the new year. General von Schlieffen arrived to the area shortly after this new body of soldiers and began to take stock of the situation. Scouts were deployed on a daily basis, as well as probing attacks and feints up and down the lines, in the hopes of establishing major strongpoints and weaknesses in the enemy formations. It quickly became clear that the Portuguese had set their firm shoulder against the coastline, presumably with the intent of denying a flanking movement to push them deep inland and away from communication hubs.

As quickly as the staff were to see the expedition completed, it was made clear that rushing the planning and co-ordination could lead to yet another stalled offensive. Raids and patrols were carried out during the fall of 1985, continuing through the winter and spring thaw of 1896. The rains in this region were deplorable and had proven their challenging nature earlier. As the ground dried however, the operation to seize Mozambique continued in earnest in the summer and would quickly prove to be well worth the effort.

While 3. Armee was kept on the north shore of the river for the initial stages of the campaign, its commander concentrated on keeping the opposition fixed in position and concentrated on their presence. Several small-scale assaults were mounted against the Portuguese at night and harassing fire continued during the daylight. 3. Armee expanded its frontage by some kilometres along the river, in order to give the impression that the German lines were still occupied. As this occurred, the bulk of the Reichsheer suddenly and violently exploded across a poorly defended crossing to the south-east of the town of Cuamba. Artillery barrages battered the defences and infantry surged ahead to grapple in bitter close quarter combat at the break of dawn. By the time the sun had fully risen into the sky, 1. and 2. Armee had already crossed and their cavalry regiments were riding hard for the Zambezi River.

Too late, the colonials realized what had occurred and slowly started to withdraw from their positions along the Ligohna, but their routes of escape had already long been severed. At a town named Quilimane, German cavalry smashed into the retreating columns and caused utter devastation. Many of the unorganized militias broke ranks and fled, however several battalions of disciplined regulars of the former Portuguese administration held on and dug in around the township. Pockets of resistance managed to hold out for several days until infantry were marched in to clear the area. Those who weren't killed surrendered. For the relatively light cost of a few hundred German casualties, thousands of defenders were killed and many scores more captured, wounded or missing.

The path to the capital was clear. In August of that same year, barely two months after the resurgent offensive, victorious German soldiers marched into Maputo and hoisted the flag of the Ostafrikanische Kaiserreich over the city. The former governor had long-since fled into the countryside, leaving his stunned subordinates to surrender the province to the Kaiser.

krieg5.jpg

The Battle of Quilimane

The Imperial Hegemony of Byzantium (MK2)

((Same flag as used by Donnie D))​

History

Even before the first meteors fell there were frequent rebellions against the Ottomans by their Christian subjects. With the chaos surrounding The Fall rebellion broke out once more. As famine and ice spread across the Russia and Europe, refugees flooded south towards the Balkans and Anatolia, and when the Ottomans tried to turn them back they took up arms and joined the rebels. The Turks were driven from Constantinople and the Byzantine Hegemony was formed.

The following years saw a number of successes for the Hegemony with Serbia and Greece being annexed, followed by the liberation of Anatolia from what remained of the Ottoman Empire. The expansion of the Hegemony was abruptly halted following the assassination of Julian I by a cell of Ottoman nationalists. With the noble houses deadlocked and unable to vote upon a new Emperor, the title was made hereditary and the throne passed to Julian I's infant son. Each house then set about trying to gain control over the imperial household.

Sadly for the noble houses control of the imperial household has gone instead to the church, with the brilliant Constantinos I, Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, being declared regent by popular demand.

Government

Emperor: Alexios I Komnenus b.1896, reign 1915 -
Ex-Regent: Marshall Boroevic

Factions and Institutions

Imperial Household: Following the assassination of Julian I, the imperial family has been reduced to the infant Alexios I and his Russian mother. For the time being the Emperor is directed by his trusted regent.
Orthodox Church: The Orthodox Church has undergone a series of rapid changes since The Fall. The churches of Anatolia have grown rapidly, filled with converts eager to show their loyalty to the new order. Meanwhile large numbers of formerly Catholic Austrians, Poles and others have been absorbed into the church. All this had lead to a tolerance for beliefs which would in a past age have been considered heretical and condemned or even fought against.
Parliament: While no longer the centre of power it once was, the parliament remains an important voice in Hegemony affairs, especially where domestic issues are concerned. While the church in theory speaks for the common man, in practice many are more concerned with rebuilding living standards than they are with salvations, and thus they look to parliament to safeguard their interests.
New Varangian Guard: An informal organisation, the New Varangian Guard is made up of military personnel who escaped Central and Eastern Europe during the fall (and by this stage also their descendants). They are keen for the Hegemony to push north and reclaim their former homelands for civilisation, it is however accepted by most that it is not going to be possible any time soon.
Sons of Moscow: Similar to the New Varangian Guard, but composed of Russian emigrants. The Russians have found it much easier to integrate with the Greeks and others native to the Hegemony however, and the second generation are for the most part more interested in building new lives than reclaiming the past.

Treaties

None

RP posts

To Mount Sinai and beyond! - plans to 'liberate' the middle east
Guns and ... more guns! - Army research, recruitment and the army sets off.
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? ... Wait, what's a plane? - The Byzantines arrive in the middle east
Super fun Byzantine politics - Political change and back to the Levant
Imperial proclamation - Subscribing to the Delcassé declaration
Arabian Knights - Bedouin cavalry
An interlude off Batumi
"Cultural Development Department" - Byzantine Intelligence Services in Persia
Cornonation Of Emperor Alexios I
Into the North - Liberating the Ukraine
The Scutari 1911 - Byzantine bolt action rifle

Last edited:
Untitled-3.png

Royal Titles Granted

A decree by the Kaiser has granted the lands of Mozambique to the House of Zähringen, ancestral rulers of the Grand Duchy of Baden. The province will immediately transition to a constituent state of the Ostafrikanische Kaiserreich. The current Grand Duke of Baden, Frederick Wilhelm Ludwig, has served as regent and ruler of his house for almost fifty years. With only two of his original three children remaining, he has been a staunch supporter of the Kaiser and a vocal proponent for expansion in the region. The seat of power will be moved to Maputo, where Frederick I will conduct his affairs and take on rights as the Grand Duke of Mozambique.

187px-Wappen_Deutsches_Reich_-_Grossherzogtum_Baden.png

House of Zähringen

Succession of the Großer Generalstab

The speed and success of the second offensive into Mozambique exceeded the expectations of most staff officers within the Reichsheer. Having overseen the planning and co-ordination behind the operation, Alfred von Schlieffen quickly made a name for himself following the surrender of Portuguese colonial forces in eastern Africa. Count von Waldersee, having presided over the General Staff for nine years, retired with the consent of the head of state in 1899. He was elevated into the Foreign Office where he will continue to serve the Kaiserreich.

His successor, like the majority of his contemporaries, has served in command positions against the former French and Austrian Empires. The promoted Generalfeldmarschall von Schlieffen will undoubtedly be tested almost immediately in his new position. It is rumoured that another expedition into central Africa is being planned for the turn of the century, as the Kaiser looks to expand his borders and compete with the growing powers of this new world for influence.

Succession of the Reichskanzler

Just prior to the turn of the century, Prince Bernhard Heinrich Karl Martin von Bülow was appointed by Kaiser Wilhelm II as the Reichskanzler. Despite the success of Imperial forces in southern Africa and the expanding economy, it was widely believed in court circles that Count von Caprivi and the Kaiser were privately feuding. It was suspected that the relatively liberal former Reichskanzler had disagreed over policy in the newly administered regions and the manner in which conquered tribes had been dealt by military forces. Behind closed doors, they argued over the eventual return to Europe by the Kaiser and his government. Personally, Count von Caprivi confided to his staff that he believed the plan "unbelievably misguided" and "virtually impossible" to complete. His dismissal comes before a pivotal address to the people of the Kaiserriech by Wilhelm himself. The elevation of the conservative former Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs who has served abroad in many foreign capitals, such as Paris, London and St. Petersburg, is a sign of the times, as the world grows ever smaller and Germany begins to interact once again with her neighbours.

260px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2004-0098A%2C_Bernhard_von_B%C3%BClow.jpg

Prince Bernhard von Bülow

Engagement with Hawaii

Zs0fj.png

The following is an excerpt from The Mormon Tribune in Salt Lake City:

Government investigates Hawaii mystery!

While California's official reports of what had gone on in Hawaii indicated that their soldiers had been fighting several disorganized Hawaiian tribes, the truth of how such a large, determined attacker was beaten back has been found in the military cables of the vanquished Californios. The Californian reports say the Hawaiians were well-organized and well-armed, led by competent officers, most of whom were white. The Hawaiians were equipped with what the Utah military recognizes as United States post-Civil War equipment--of the sort those stationed at the US military base in Honolulu in the 1870s would have used. It appears that Hawaii has not fallen into the anarchy of disparate tribes, but instead has remained civilized and perhaps even become stronger.

The United Territories thus have outfitted a peaceful expedition to the island, to ascertain the circumstances there...

A few months later, The Mormon Tribune published this follow-up article

American Government in Hawaii!

The mission to Hawaii has made peaceable contact with the local government, and the discovery is astounding.

The U.T. delegation made contact with the government of Hawaii after a very cautious set of initial meetings, understandable given the recent Californian aggression. What they discovered was not a disparate group of tribes, nor a weak, tribal kingdom, but a Western government led by a white, American President.

The Hawaiian kingdom was severely weakened by the disappearance of trade after the Fall, though it was able to relatively easily switch its agriculture from the export-based sugar trade to staple crops like rice. Still, the kingdom was forced to deal with a group of influential Americans living there. These Americans grew even more influential with the support of US military troops who had been stationed in Pearl Harbor (ceded to the US in 1875). A tense decade, with many upheavals, followed.

Some time in the 1890s, just before the Californian invasion, influential Americans staged a coup and established the Republic of Hawaii. They are led by Sanford B. Dole, currently the President of Hawaii. The U.T. delegation reports that the President was relieved to know that the United States, or at least her successor, has survived. Government officials in Salt Lake City urge caution in predicting what will come of this--on the heels of the Californian invasion of Hawaii, none can be sure what the Hawaiians are thinking. Still, Premier Roosevelt has declared increased cooperation and trade with Hawaii is now one of his top priorities.

One success has already been had: the U.T. delegation reports that the Hawaiian government has tentatively allowed the Mormon representatives that accompanied the delegation to set up a mission on the island. The missionaries are led by Joseph F. Smith, Jr., the 25-year old son of our President.

elRnk.jpg

Sanford Dole, President of Hawaii

Spend 8 CP to attempt diplo-annexation of Hawaii

Last edited: