• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The workaround here would be that the unborn child would either always exist as a hidden character for all pregnancies, or if your character dies with a pregnant wife, the game creates an "age: unborn" child. Tricky though, and yea, the reason this isn't in the game is that all titles always need someone to have that title at all times, a title can't hang in limbo while waiting for the possible heir to be born.

Particularly since no one in the game would know whether the child would be a girl or boy, which would make a difference to the child's legitimate heirship in most successions.

Particularly since no one in the game would know whether the child would be a girl or boy, which would make a difference to the child's legitimate heirship in most successions.

In a legal sense it can be murky, but strictly speaking in the history of this era the child would inherit. And I can say from experience that in CK1 this happened to me more than once.

I guess that it isn't possible to have a regency, when a ruler dies and his spouse is pregnant? What happens further would be determined after childbirth, according to the laws of the realm or house and the gender of the child.

I guess that it isn't possible to have a regency, when a ruler dies and his spouse is pregnant? What happens further would be determined after childbirth, according to the laws of the realm or house and the gender of the child.

A regency is when a regent takes care of the realm because the actual titleholder isn't able to, due to being imprisoned or underage (any other times?). Due to technical reasons, there still has to be a character that the game can attach the title to. In the end, the best/easiest compromise will probably be to give the posthumous heir claims.

A regency is when a regent takes care of the realm because the actual titleholder isn't able to, due to being imprisoned or underage (any other times?). Due to technical reasons, there still has to be a character that the game can attach the title to. In the end, the best/easiest compromise will probably be to give the posthumous heir claims.

Ruler can also become uncapable. In a stream PdoxLP's ruler got hit in the head in a battle and didn't never really recover from it and became uncapable. This usually means that the person becomes somehow mentally incapable to rule so he needs a regent.

Ruler can also become uncapable. In a stream PdoxLP's ruler got hit in the head in a battle and didn't never really recover from it and became uncapable. This usually means that the person becomes somehow mentally incapable to rule so he needs a regent.

Yes, but the point is that even when the ruler is incapable, they still exist and are alive, even if their stats are zero and they spend the day drooling into their pillow. That's not the same as the character not existing yet and having a regency.

I've refrained from entering parts of this discussion because I haven't been able to see these mechanics up close in the game. I've seen posthumous children being born and finding their way into the succession (i.e. daddy died, my older brother takes over, then I'm born 2 months later). But I haven't yet observed a case of succession happening during a pregnancy where the child would be in a position to be the real heir. I have never seen a case where there is no ruler holding the titles.

Last edited:
Yes, but the point is that even when the ruler is incapable, they still exist and are alive, even if their stats are zero and they spend the day drooling into their pillow. That's not the same as the character not existing yet and having a regency.

I was answering his question that he asked in the quote that was in my post. He listed few cases where there would be a regency in the game and wondered if there would be more.

My statement never was even ment to be saying anything about possibility of having regency for unborn child.

I was answering his question that he asked in the quote that was in my post. He listed few cases where there would be a regency in the game and wondered if there would be more.

My statement never was even ment to be saying anything about possibility of having regency for unborn child.

Ah, okay, I guess I wasn't paying attention. :)

I've refrained from entering parts of this discussion because I haven't been able to see these mechanics up close in the game. I've seen posthumous children being born and finding their way into the succession (i.e. daddy died, my older brother takes over, then I'm born 2 months later). But I haven't yet observed a case of succession happening during a pregnancy where the child would be in a position to be the real heir. I have never seen a case where there is no ruler holding the titles.

Can you test it? Technically these are not necessary for said testing, but do you have any knowledge of console commands, or could you edit a save? Find a ruler with no children yet, whose wife is pregnant, kill him (by assassinating in-game/console command/maybe even save-editing). Preferably one with a brother who'd inherit, if the inheritance happens right away. Like I said, I'll be happy if the child gets claims when it's born, even though it's not ideal.

I don't have console commands, a manual, or even a good working knowledge of save games yet. The save game files are bit more complicated than CK1 it appears, since there are tons of things it has to record.

If I get bored this weekend, I might poke around and see if the Kill command works. Or I might just edit myself a ton of cash and nuke someone with assassination attempts. I can track down my own ruler's ID and easily give him cash; I understand that much at least. :)