• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Finally, two days of non-stop reading, and I am caught up. Man, this is getting intense. any hope of Tver getting a colonial empire in the Americas?

That was an amazing war. It doesn't matter that it was technically a concession of defeat - the most important thing was that you got out of it without giving up anything more than prestige despite being outnumbered and at a technological disadvantage. I presume you used a spy to reveal the gap in their defences? It was an incredibly gutsy move invading the Austrian homeland instead of hunkering down and defending, I would never have thought of doing that myself ... although I did do that once in one of my games and funnily enough it was also as a Russian nation...

Now that you know that Austria hates you for good, you've got to prepare for the next war - build up to your forcelimits, construct forts, find allies, the sort, and come back stronger next time. Also, it might just be that I'm not a fan of the current protagonists in the story to be able to sympathise with them, but I'm absolutely confused as to what they are doing in that last picture?

Occupying Austrian homeland was daring, but I don't think that was the best strategy. When I'm in such a perilous situation, I stay home and wolfpack straggler enemy armies one by one. Eventually their war machine will suffocate from army losses and high war exhaustion. Fighting on enemy turf is costly, and you can't afford it at first when you're outnumbered.

What's that Loki? no curries in Scotland?

In other news...

Looks like Sweden got drunk and decided to take on all the other Scandis.

Like the saying goes: "Take a step back to jump two forward." Or something like that...

I hope so. It was a wakeup call anyway: don't trust the AI, and be ready to kick them in the teeth before they do the same to you.

Taking out the Austrians will need a carefull battleplan it seems. Good choise to concede dedeat if you can't make any further gains though.

I thought so. They might have taken a WP if it had gone on slightly longer, but I thought it better to get it over with ASAP. The Prestige loss is annoying, though.

You have a big advantage in cavalry over the Austrians. If they ever learn that the proper role for horses is pulling big guns around, rather than destroying the tactics of their infantry, you are in big trouble.

Exactly! And the SSPCA like it better too, hauling cannons is much safer than charging into battle with some loon waving a pointy thing on your back.

Haha, a good one!

Hope that you'll next time have more armies to defeat those Imperialist invaders of Western Europe. Conquering Vienna was a nice idea.

Thats, it's become my go-to tactic for beating dangerous enemies.

How do you kill a circus? Go for the juggler.

Anyway.

I think you might need to hold both your European borders a bit better next time. I don't think there's much hope for holding the Caucasus against the Austrian hordes but scorching all the lands down there might wear them down enough to allow a solid counter-attack. It's nice to see the player lose one in a while though, especially to such a well-named enemy league.

I'd have liked to, and a better player may well have been able to, but I didn't think I had anything like enough troops to make a proper defence of it.

And as someone who knows this AAR well, you'll know that I have plenty of defeats, but it's a while since I lost an entire war (the odd concession to keep a pestering enemy out of a war now and again, usually Steppe Hordes I don't have time to send troops after). I agree, though, I like AARs where the player has trouble, much more interesting than them steamrolling everything.

Man, a brutal slog. Good job on holding your land though. You need to create some more allies, like from that big swath of Austrian Baltic and Turkey lands.

It's a nice theory, but every time I get an Ally in this game, apart from Vassals, they decide to DoW someone five times their size with whom I have no interest in a war. Also, nobody likes me, being the only Orthodox country on the planet other than Prussia (Vassal).

Can you achieve a naval advantage against Austria?
Then you could force them to make their move through Ersekujvar, where you will be outmanned, but at advantage tactically.

A good plan, I've started looking at that idea, though since they sent my entire fleet to the bottom of the Black Sea in that war (I ran out of screenshots so it wasn't shown) it'll be a massive building task. But it's an admirable goal and one that I'm going to start working on :)

I see what you did there :D

Pretty bad, even by my standards... :D

Not many people get a second wind when dealing with marta

Austria never had a better chance against Tver.
It blew it.

Is it my imagination or did Austria's co-declares just sit the war out?

Mitrofan and Marta's son will be the next Emperor.

Almost never!

And I hope that they've blow it, though I'm in the process of massively expanding the army to put them off doing that again!

Their allies didn't do much, since most of them are miles away (Papal State is Cologne, incidentally)

And it would be great for Tver, but Dobczyńskis don't generally do leading. Besides, they'd have to be a 9/9/9. Maybe even 10.

Finally, two days of non-stop reading, and I am caught up. Man, this is getting intense. any hope of Tver getting a colonial empire in the Americas?

Hi pal, great to know that you're reading :)

I'd like to, but I fear the westreners have got there first. I'll take Alaska if it's still on the cards but I fear the Portuguese are heading in that direction...

That was an amazing war. It doesn't matter that it was technically a concession of defeat - the most important thing was that you got out of it without giving up anything more than prestige despite being outnumbered and at a technological disadvantage. I presume you used a spy to reveal the gap in their defences? It was an incredibly gutsy move invading the Austrian homeland instead of hunkering down and defending, I would never have thought of doing that myself ... although I did do that once in one of my games and funnily enough it was also as a Russian nation...

Now that you know that Austria hates you for good, you've got to prepare for the next war - build up to your forcelimits, construct forts, find allies, the sort, and come back stronger next time. Also, it might just be that I'm not a fan of the current protagonists in the story to be able to sympathise with them, but I'm absolutely confused as to what they are doing in that last picture?

Yes indeed, I've got a decent amount of Spies since I'm Mercantile focused. Another screenshot that didn't make the cut. Defending probably seems like the seisnible option, but I just didn't think I could pull it off that way - I have concentration lapses that make me lose crucial battles, so where possibly I try and hit enemy provinces rather than their armies.

And as you say, the army is being massively strengthened. I have high Tradition at the moment, which lets me recruit some good Generals, which is also a nice little boost, but I'm thinking of switching from my usual 12 regiment armies to larger 20-odd ones to match Austria's bigger stacks (they like 32-strong groups, which is too much for me, but I can send 2 armies of 20-ish after them).

And the last picture, they're meant to be breathing sighs of relief and mopping brows. Again, my artistic abilities fail to match my imagination :D

Occupying Austrian homeland was daring, but I don't think that was the best strategy. When I'm in such a perilous situation, I stay home and wolfpack straggler enemy armies one by one. Eventually their war machine will suffocate from army losses and high war exhaustion. Fighting on enemy turf is costly, and you can't afford it at first when you're outnumbered.

Hmm. Must admit that that never occurred, maybe because Austria caught me in such an awkward position (my borders were barely defended and I thought that there was no way I could hold the Black Sea area). I'll keep it in mind, though, you're almost certainly a better strategist than me (as is the average herring gull)

worth it for this alone:

now this is something that even 'Project Fear' has yet to threaten us with

Oh, they will though.

'Under independence, your behinds will spontaneously catch fire, as it is only the beenvolence of the UK Government that protects you from this inherent problem of you peasantish, barbaric Scots'

What's that Loki? no curries in Scotland?

Hey, we (apparently) invented Chicken Tikka Masala! Not to mention Chicken Tarka.

Which is like Chicken Tikka.

But 'Otter.

Tver seems to have met a match...
Wouldn't want it to be too easy for the Commonwealth:ninja:

I think I could survive it being easy, but I appreciate that it's probably more interesting for the long-suffering reader this way :D

Episode LXIX: Age Shall Not WiTver Them

Lord Protector's Residence, City of Tver, Imperial Commonwealth of Tver, 1697

The Imperial Commonwealth of Tver had survived Austria's treacherous assault with her borders intact. A defensive war had drawn the aggressors into Tver's holdings in Ukraine and Romania, allowing for a retaliatory strike against the enemy's capital. Discontent, though, was rife throughout the Commonwealth. Many criticised the Lord Protector's leadership: 'neither a general nor a gentleman' was a phrase that wended its way maliciously through the corridors of power – and Mitrofan Beloselsky, weakened by the stress of leading his country through the desperate struggle, was not a well man. He had always seemed young for his age, but now his years of stewardship were starting to tell.

He looked up as his Chief Advisor (amongst other things) entered the room.

'How are you, Mitrofan.'

He managed a smile. 'Not well. But no matter. What is the state of our armies, Marta?'

Marta Hallie Dobczyńska eyed him as a chicken might eye a hand grenade.

'Tired, but battle-hardened. You're not planning to do anything daft are you?'

'After our 'defeat' to the Archduke, Marta, we need to reassert ourselves. A show of strength both against our neighbours, and against the traditionalists in our own camp.'

'What did you have in mind?'

'Friedrich III of Brandenburg will more than likely soon be elected Holy Roman Emperor.'

'He has. Berlin as the heart of Germany? Madness.'

'This will allow him to recruit larger armies. They already eye our Polish territories like a guinea pig eyes a plate of salad.'

'Are the words 'pre-emptive' and 'strike' marching towards this conversation?'

'You know me too well.'

'I'm a woman. I know everything.'

'I know that our generals are tired of war, Marta, but I won't have us wait for our enemies to gather strength – nor for the truce with Austria to run out. Brandenburg is a serpent's egg. We must crush it before it hatches.'

Tverian forces marched into Wielkopolska and laid siege to Poznań, while a rapid south-western assault claimed Niederlausitz, the borderland between the Margravate of Brandenburg and the crippled Kingdom of Bohemia. These rapid gains freed up Commonwealth troops to head north towards Pommerania and Berlin.

The advance on Berlin, however, hit a snag, namely a large number of heavily armed Germans. The attack was poorly co-ordinated, and an entire Tverian army was wiped out by the main Brandenburgian army, led by the Margrave himself. General Gregorskiy, in charge of the attack, would pay for his incompetence with his hat.

The war, though, could only end one way. Outnumbered and surrounded, the Margrave agreed to cede Wielkopolska and eastern Pommerania to Commonwealth control, creating a larger buffer zone against western aggression and guaranteeing the supply of salt to Tver's Centre of Trade in Wrocław.

'Very nicely done, Mitrofan.'

'Heh. I was never a soldier, Marta, but I've always viewed war as a form of diplomacy – and I do know a thing or two about diplomacy.'

'By the way, the Margrave is dead.'

'Oh?'

'Shock, poor lamb. But his son will be Emperor when he grows up.'

'After the kicking we just gave them I imagine the electors will start looking elsewhere soon enough.'

'Yes, sir. And with Liege blackening their reputation more every day, there's only really one candidate.'

'You mean...'

'This is very bad. They were dangerous enough without the Imperial crown. It might be years before they take it, but we need to be ready. Any more improvements we can make to the army?'

'With your permission, sir, I can increase the recruitment and deployment of Polish cavalry units.'

'The ones with the wing decorations? They bloody scare me, and they work for me.'

'Precisely, sir. You are Lord Protector of Poland, after all. They'll fight for the Commonwealth, and are more than a match for western cavalry.'

'Sounds good.'

'You still look...concerned, Mitrofan.'

'I just...I have unfinished business, Marta. Things that I want to do before...'

'Don't say it.'

'I won't. But it bothers me that many in the Parliament – people whom I respect and trust – still dislike me.'

'They're not exactly traitors, sir, just...troublemakers.'

'I know, Marta. Still. I'd rather they thought well of me. I accept that some will neevr accept me as Tver's leader – no matter what good I do – but...well, it makes me uncomfortable.'

'Lord Aniubevsky, sir?'

'Yes. Fine man, full of good advice, talks a lot of sense, but I can tell he doesn't like me. Not mad keen on you either, despite the nosebleeds in your presence.'

'I have that effect on a lot of men. And a fair amount of women.'

'Well, I just want him to know that I have always had great respect for him, regardless of his opinion of me. Send him my regards, and a crate of the finest wines in the cellar.'

'Can we not send wódka? I don't like wine.'

'I know. If I send wódka you'd drink it.'

'I'll get someone else to deliver them...

'How stands the navy?'

'The Lord Admiral wishes to build a fleet of new warships based on Spanish wargalleons, sir.'

'Worthwhile?'

'I think so. The Austrians destroyed most of our fleet, so we need to build a new one anyway, and if we can gain a naval advantage over them we can cause them a lot of problems.'

'Control of the Black Sea...even the Adriatic given their holdings there. Very well.'

'Before that, though...perhaps one more show of strength to keep the wolves at bay.'

'And to increase our buffer zone? You're thinking of Moravia?'

'Moravia, and our old friends in Bohemia.'

'I've enough PragueCard points for a free night's stay in any of twelve inns anyway. May as well make use of them.'

'Coming with me, Mitrofan?'

'I'd...better not. I feel weak, Marta, I don't think travelling is a good idea.'

'I could leave it to someone else.'

'No, go. You serve Tver, Marta Dobczyńska, not me – and Tver needs you. Lead our troops to another great victory. I'll still be here.'

'As you wish, sir.'

Some would call it unwarranted, cowardly aggression, some would call it a pre-emptive measure against an enemy who still laid claim to much of the Commonwealth's territory. The armies of Tver marched into Bohemia's Hungarian territories, while launching another direct assault on Prague. Inexplicably, Bohemia's armies were still mainly located in her Italian provinces, and their advance was almost completely unopposed.

The only real threat to Tver would come, once again, from Brandenburg, as the regency council for the young Holy Roman Emperor undertook that grand title's responsibilities much in the way that Liege hadn't when they had held the crown. Brandenburgian troops marched almost unopposed into the lands they had recently owned.

Bohemia, though, offered resistance so token it might have been a one-legged Islamic Estonian lesbian of afro-Caribbean heritage at the Conservative Party conference.

The peace agreement was punishing. Tverian territory was expanded far further west than it had been before. Moravia was added to the Commonwealth's Silesian holdings, with the addition of Oberlausitz and Erz from the very heartland of the Czechs. The greatest prize of all, though, was the beautiful city of Dresden – truly, Tver were on fire. Her territories now stretched from the Bering Strait to the very heart of Europe.

'Sounds like you were having fun.'

'Not without you, Mitrofan.'

The Lord Protector smiled. 'Well, you'd better get used to it I'm afraid.'

'You don't mean...'

'I'm too tired, Marta. I can't go on any longer. The Commonwealth will continue, but for me? It's the end.'

'What can I do?'

'Protect what we have built. The empire we have created and defended. You saved my life once, Marta. Once is enough, don't you think?'

'I shall miss you, Mitrofan.'

'I bloody hope so. But...well, wherever we go, I'll be waiting for you.'

'You'd better.'

'It'll be Kashinsky, won't it?'

Dobczyńska nodded. 'Almost certainly. I was hoping to get a vote in the matter.'

'You should.

'Like, I don't know, a choice of three candidates with different abilities or something.'

'I thought that was how it worked too...Heh. Well, it doesn't matter. Bit of a warmonger, Kashinsky, but it could be worse.'

'Some people called you that.'

'I know. He's an old soldier, but if the Austrians attack you again he's as good a choice as any.'

'I won't let it happen.'

'You know this empire better than any politician does. Don't let them destroy it.'

'I won't.'

'I know you won't. Either of you.'

'Goodbye, Marta. And thank you.'

'Goodbye, Mitrofan. You were worth it.'

'Damn right I was...'

'...but I'm glad you agree...'

Aw.

A dashing looking fellow, but lacking in some other aspects. I take it that you didn't get a choice?

Yes, I meant take the land and then free it as an orthodox vassal. That's the best way to get allies.

I can't see Kashinsky warming to Marta. Good western expansion. Austria is the powerhouse in Germany, so obviously Brandenburg is the Emperor . There's a Conservative Party in Tver?

A 4/5/6 ruler =overextension, he'd better have good shock value and as a diplomat doesn't get any bonus'. To die in battle for the glory of Tver is the finest achievement that awaits this overdressed dandy.

Heyyyy... Austria's flag has changed [EDIT] to one that was foreshadowed previously that I only notice now while looking for evidence of the change [/EDIT]. It's somewhat sad to see Mitrofan go and, even worse, to be replaced by someone mediocre. Did you let the Bohemians keep their Hungarian provinces so that you could grab more economically developed ones, so that you wouldn't expand your frontage against Austria, or both?

Bah...that traitor got off easy...

What? A Tverian Ruler dying a natural death? How could anybody stand by this fall of culture?
I'm sad that Mitrofan goes away but hey, nothing last forever.
As for the new guy, I predict him leading armies all the time :D

I don't quite understand why you expanded that far into Bohemia, but other than that, great update :) .

Aw.

A dashing looking fellow, but lacking in some other aspects. I take it that you didn't get a choice?

Yes, I meant take the land and then free it as an orthodox vassal. That's the best way to get allies.

No choice indeed, half the reason I switched to RD was that I thought you got to pick your leader. Looks like you only get to do that once :(

Aah, I see. Yes, I've been looking for candidates for that. Hungary is one possibility, though I already own and have Cored Ersekuyvar.

nicely done, I never quite warmed to Mitrofan, but given your (I presume) poor reputation, a decent diplomat will do you well in the short term?

most re-assured to see the Dobczyńska line will continue though

It's not too bad at the moment, actually, I burned most of my Infamy before the Bohemian and Brandenburgian war. He could have been worse, just disappointed, as above, not to have got a choice in the matter.

I can't see Kashinsky warming to Marta. Good western expansion. Austria is the powerhouse in Germany, so obviously Brandenburg is the Emperor . There's a Conservative Party in Tver?

A 4/5/6 ruler =overextension, he'd better have good shock value and as a diplomat doesn't get any bonus'. To die in battle for the glory of Tver is the finest achievement that awaits this overdressed dandy.

Marta knows a thing or two about generous expansions.

Sadly, the Conservatives haven't been totally wiped out :( Drone strikes haven't been invented yet. Tech Level 70?

And yes, he will be doing plenty of army leading!

Heyyyy... Austria's flag has changed [EDIT] to one that was foreshadowed previously that I only notice now while looking for evidence of the change [/EDIT]. It's somewhat sad to see Mitrofan go and, even worse, to be replaced by someone mediocre. Did you let the Bohemians keep their Hungarian provinces so that you could grab more economically developed ones, so that you wouldn't expand your frontage against Austria, or both?

Yes, I got a new computer about the turn of the year. Lost all my flag mods (I've now replaced some of them) and have been stuck with EU3 5.0 ever since, as 5.1 refuses to install properly :S

And I'll miss Mitrofan. I've sort of liked all of them in some way, but he's my favourite for a long time, probably since Aleksandra. Still, he had a good long run.

And I picked those provinces because...actually, mainly because Dresden's pretty :D But also, I'm trying to encourage Hungary to revolt away, which might let me Annex Bohemia at some point after another war or two.

Kashinsky is gonna be fabulous yes?

...probably not, but I'll do what I can with him. Trying to make a silk purse from a pig's ear.

Bah...that traitor got off easy...

Heh. He's gone now. And I will restore the monarchy, I've no interest in the higher level Republics (though the title Grand Vizier has a certain something :D)

So, Mitrofan had opted for a natural death after all? Even in his last days that man was a true revolutionary.

He was! For him, it felt more appropriate somehow. I felt he'd had enough trouble in his life without giving him an especially nasty death as well.

Unorthodox deaths will continue from now on though :D

What? A Tverian Ruler dying a natural death? How could anybody stand by this fall of culture?
I'm sad that Mitrofan goes away but hey, nothing last forever.
As for the new guy, I predict him leading armies all the time :D

A man amongst men was Mitrofan. And, as above, I thought he'd suffered enough without having a rhino drop on his head or anything.

And you're absolutely correct about Kashinsky. Inspirational man! Leads from the front!

'Musket balls make for excellent nourishment, sir! Try catching one with your mouth!'
'Right-o!'

I don't quite understand why you expanded that far into Bohemia, but other than that, great update :) .

It's probably not great tactically, but I'm trying to set up a situation where I can take their heartland provinces (spent so much time in Prague that I may as well take it for myself), which I thought could work well by making their isolated bits declare independence.

Episode LXX: Ride of the ValTveries

Lord Protector's Residence, City of Tver, Imperial Commonwealth of Tver, 1697

Mitrofan Beloselsky, Lord Protector of the Imperial Commonwealth of Tver, had passed away. Illness and exhaustion had taken their toll on the dynamic, controversial leader of the largest nation in existence, and the battle had commenced for his legacy. Hated by many, adulated by more, and loved by one, he was a man who had divided opinion both domestically and internationally. While the monarchs of Europe had feared him and all he represented – a man chosen to lead his country because of his actions, not his birthright, and a regicide to boot! – they also sought to emulate his achievements. For regardless of the merits of Republican Dictatorship, Beloselsky had been one of the most successful leaders in the histrory of Tver. For that, his funeral was a lavish state affair, its most hideous excesses restrained only by the terms of his will.

The unenviable task of succeeding this most divisive of men fell to Zinoviy Kashinsky. Scion of one of Tver's noble houses, Kashinsky was older than his predecessor, an experienced and respected general who had built a reputation for leading his armies from the front. His heroics in the defensive war against Austria – the worst defeat of Beloselsky's career – had elevated him to the fore of Tverian politics, and the parliament had not hesitated to install him as the new Lord Protector of the Imperial Commonwealth.

Kashinsky, though, was not alone. Marta Hallie Dobczyńska, veteran soldier, Captain of the Guard, Chief Advisor and a hundred other meaningless titles, would be at his side. She was not, though, the only companion of the Lord Protector, for he brought his own: and what a joyful little fellow he was. Bunzle the Dog was always happy, jumping and full of life. What a playful little fellow! What a lovable little parcel of fun!

Kashinsky had wasted no time after his inauguration as Lord Protector. He made his way to the Tverian-Austrian border to inspect the readiness of the Commonwealth's forces. The truce with the von Pfalz-Neumarkts was coming to a close and, while Beloselsky had taken steps to strengthen the Commonweatlh's forces to make the enemy think twice about another attack, Kashinsky believed that there was more work to be done.

'We must go to our Hungarian and Polish holdings, Dobczyńska, henceforth and forthwit, like winged Mercury! Not time to lose, so much to do! Isn't there Bunzle?'

An affirmative sort of yap, for those who can tell the difference between affirmative yaps, hungry yaps or yaps as preparation for throatular ripping.

'Now, Dobczyńska! What is going on? Other than demises of Lords Protector.'

'Careful, sir.'

'Fear not, Dobczyńska. I had much respect for your...well, for my predecessor. '

'I never got that impression.'

'Oh, I did not always see eye-to-eye with Mitrofan Beloselsky, but he was a capable enough sort of fellow. Good diplomat. Handy in a few other ways I gather...anyroad. Different skillset from mine, but efficient. Bit like Telyatevsky. Aren't you, Telyatevsky?'

A bookish-looking fellow in the corner made a non-committal grunt. Lord Telyatevsky was a man of few words. Another member of the Commonwealth's Council, he was an organiser, an academic sort of man rather than a soldier – his appointment as Kashinsky's deputy had been to assuage fears that the experienced general's battlefield skills would not transfer to the political or logistical arena.

'So. What is going on?'

'Good news from Wrocław, sir.'

'Sounds like vrots-WAF! WAF! Eh, Bunzle?'

'Yap! Yap!'

'Ah, isn't he wonderful? Carry on, Dobczyńska.'

'Economic and social conditions in Wrocław...'

'Yap!'

'...in the de facto capital of Silesia are in excellent shape, sir. The relocation of the regional Centre of Trade from Racibórz has boosted commerce, while weapons factories are boosting produactiona nd employment.'

'So the Silesians are adjusting well to membership of the Commonwealth?'

'Yes sir.'

'Well, that's splendid. Anything closer to home?'

'Agricultural production in Tula is better than ever.'

'That doesn't sound important.'

Telyatevsky coughed.

'Is the claret repeating on you, Telyatevsky?'

'No, sir. I'm merely pointing out that the agricultural revolution in Tula will notably increase our income both in the long and short term.'

'Meaning.'

'More money for the army, sir.'

'Ah! Now we're talking.'

'Technically, sir, we've been talking for the last few minutes.'

'Enough, Telyatevsky. I will now talk to Dobczyńska, because doing so does not make my ears bleed.'

'The Ukrainians in Podolia are experimenting with new religions.'

'Oh. What's wrong with Orthodoxy?'

'Nothing, sir, but it's one of the side effects of a liberal society.'

'Oh well. What harm can it do? Except to their immortal souls.'

'It will slightly impair our incomes from these areas, Lord Protector.'

'All you think about is money, Telyatevsky!'

'Money makes the world go round, Lord Protector.'

'Actually, Aleksandr IV proved in a scientific paper that...'

'Dobczyńska! You're doing the same thing as Telyatevsky. Isn't she Bunzle?'

'Yap!'

'So, children. What really makes the world go around, is the military. You know this, Dobczyńska.'

'I...believe our military is important, sir.'

'Good. We need to keep the Austrians – and other westerners in check. That means expanding the army.'

'A very grand idea, sir.'

'Yes, Dobczyńska. A Grand Army! The Grandest the world has ever seen!'

'So, Dobczyńska. We should prepare.'

'To defend against Austria, sir?'

'Almost right.'

'...kurka wodna. you're serious?'

'Entirely! We cannot wait for the Austrians to attack us, Dobczyńska! They will come some time when we are weak or distracted. They must be dealt with! Like Bunzle does with chicken legs. Bunzle! Have a chicken leg!'

The dog tore into his lunch with gusto, leaving only bones and ragged scraps.

'So. What's your plan?'

'We open up our access options.

'I can ask the Pope for military access to Cologne.'

'How can perfume be used for military purposes?'

Dobczyńska grinned the grin of a woman who Knows Something.

'I believe that Dobczyńska means the city of Köln , Lord Protector, which is seat of the Papal State.'

'Ah. Yes, I see. A potential extra attack angle, eh?'

'We Dobczyńskis know a few things about back entrances, sir.'

The armies of Tver assembled on the border. In Moravia, Ersekuyvar and Małopolska, the main force of the Commonwealth's strength took up their positions, looking studiously innocent. Soldiers whistled, walking with hands behind their backs, and occasionally waved and smiled at the Austrians across the border, who accepted that this was perfectly normal behaviour and that there was no funny business going on of any kind.

'That's the army sorted...now, we need to expand our sea power. Dobczyńska, how are things?'

'In the navy? We can sail the Black and White Seas.'

'In the navy?'

'You can put your mind at ease.'

'Well, I think it's important to make use of our new warships to negate the Austrians' abilities to bring troops from their Asian holdings to Europe. Do we have enough manpower for the ships?'

'Oh, those naval boys have plenty of man power, sir.'

'Can you see to it?'

'I know what to do with seamen, sir.'

'But who can lead them? Naval superiority could be the key to this war, I'm not leaving it in the hands of some idiot.'

'Promote Captain Tviersky to Lord Admiral, sir.'

'Knows what he's doing, does he?'

'Considering this nation's lack of past naval exploits, he's as good as anyone we've got.'

'Very well.'

'Then all is ready.'

'Are you sure that you want to do this, sir?'

'Absolutely, Dobczyńska! We're ready for war, aren't we Bunzle?'

A warlike 'yap'.

'There we go! The Austrians won't know what bloody hit them!'

'This will be the largest military campaign launched in the history of Tver.'

'Then let's make it a glorious victory! Bunzle, Dobczyńska, to War! Tally bally ho!'

The Tverian attack took the Austrians completely by surprise: there were a million other reasons why a hated enemy would amass a ludicrous number of soldier on one's border! Kashinsky led the attack personally, Dobczyńska at his side and Bunzle running alongside. His brother Nestor led a secondary force towards Pressburg, while Dobczyńska advised the Lord Protector that General Kemsky was an expert at bringing up the rear.

Austria's allies leapt into action. While the Papal State would pose little threat to the Commonwealth, the fearsome military powerhouse of Bar was stirred from its slumber. Tver, it seemed, had woken a sleeping giant. Another Imperial State joined in the defensive jamboree: not the strongest of foes, but an honest trier none the less, while in answer to the question of whether they could reisst the advancing might of the Commonwealth, the final ally responded 'of Corsican.'

The armies of Tver advanced to meet their enemy, to avenge the treacherous attack suffered only a few years before. Glorious battles awaited as two military titans clashed on European soil! Two powers, one prize, and no interference from outsiders in this Olympian struggle!