• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Folks, prepare yourself for another monologue by yours truly!

Last time, I promised to talk about Crusader Pandas, but that would be silly, so I won't. Instead, I'll inform you about the workings of the Council. Just like in Crusader Kings, the Council consists of five characters who serve as your advisers; the Chancellor, Steward, Marshal, Spymaster and Lord Spiritual. Their primary attribute is added to your own for purposes of government. (E.g. the Diplomacy skill is the primary attribute of the Chancellor.) To make it more balanced, characters now have an additional attribute called Learning, which is the primary attribute of the Lord Spiritual. Also unlike Crusader Kings, you can appoint your direct landed vassals to your council, not just your courtiers. Women can normally not serve as councillors, although the spouse and mother of the ruler can be Spymaster.

The main new Council related feature in Crusader Kings II, however, is the ability to send your councillors on various jobs (three per councillor) out in the counties. Many of these jobs are very powerful if used correctly. The chance of a good outcome is dependent on their skill. To give some examples:

Head Local Inquisition (Lord Spiritual):
The Lord Spiritual converts a province or local character to his religion.

Train Troops (Marshal):
The levies replenish faster and can grow beyond their normal max size.

Fabricate Claims (Chancellor):
Chance that you get a claim on a local title.

Oversee Construction (Steward):
The build time of improvements and new holdings is much reduced.

Study Technology (Spymaster):
Chance that a tech level spreads to your capital.

CrusaderKings2_Devdiary_2011-11-10_01.png

CrusaderKings2_Devdiary_2011-11-10_02.png

Ponder this until the next dev diary. :)

Can't wait! I'm really looking forward to CK2! My favorite part of this new system is the fact that you can use your own vassals as your councilors!

This might be odd as the Holy Roman Emperor!
Steward King X of Bohemia
Chancellor King Y of Italy
Marshal King Z of Burgundy
Spymaster Queen W of Germany (my...mom?)

Forgive me for being critical, but there doesn't seem to be much new info here.

How is the fact that Councillors now have actions to perform, rather than just sit there and add their stats to their Liege's, not new?

Hah, you bring up a good point, kevml. It might make sense for the HRE to have his most powerful vassals as council members (since they're hopefully pretty good stat-wise and it'd be smart to keep potential enemies close), but you'd think that they might be somewhat distracted from the task at hand... Maybe they should have some kind of penalty to reflect the fact that they're busy in their own realm too?

Other than that, yeah, I think all this info has come out already, but new screenshots are always nice. Keep chugging away, devs. :)

If you're Christian, and you have a character with a different religion and make him your lord spiritual, then tell him to go convert, in the name of what faith will he march forth?

Do landed vassals always move to your capital when they serve on the council, or can they remain in their domain? For example, in the screenshots, could Earl Dub be appointed Marshall of Scotland, but stay in Fife? If they do move, does their court move with them?

Yes, more data on what the stat Learning entails for both what it adds via the Lord Spiritual position and it's effects upon the average courtier/ruler, please.

And there were some laws to be passed regarding what offices women could hold (Chancellor), yeah?

How is the fact that Councillors now have actions to perform, rather than just sit there and add their stats to their Liege's, not new?

That's in Sengoku already and we've been seeing them active in the field since quite early on in Dev Diaries. It's new to Crusader Kings, but it isn't news.

If you're Christian, and you have a character with a different religion and make him your lord spiritual, then tell him to go convert, in the name of what faith will he march forth?

I would guess that you cannot appoint a character as Lord Spiritual unless he is Christian.

It was in Johan's video last week I think. There might be more in-depth description of the details of their missions in this DD but I'm sure Johan mentioned a broad description of the types of missions available. Also, considering they are in Sengoku (or CKjapan) you might guess some kind of mission would make it into CK2.

Fabricate Claims (Chancellor):
Chance that you get a claim on a local title.

So, can forge claim only on count-level titles (the county you send your chancellor to) ? Or will it depend on your chancellor's skill, on your choice, on chance ?

Counts and above have councils, and yes, they will attempt to maintain their own religion.

And do "church" baronies increase the religious influence on a territory ? In other terms, will it be possible to convert a conquered territory by building a churches ?

Lords Spiritual do not, in fact, need an ecclesiastical education.

And, then, what do they need ? And what is the figure on the right for Lord Spiritual ? For Chancellor is diplomacy, for Marshall military, Steward stewardship, Spymaster intrigue... and Lord Spiritual ?