• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ummmm... you might want to fix "France was the most powerful land force in France".

Halen is getting even more powerful. You'll have to have him fighting for Hyderabad against GB for a proper challenge now.

I think Halen will soon find out the dangers of becoming too notorious. After single-handedly erasing Prussia he won't be able to move unnoticed from one country to the next, and it's only a matter of time before the Brits put a price on his head

Also this:

Any chance we could get a world map now that Halen's new world order has done some serious re-arrangments? :)

It'd be awfully nice to see a map of Europe now

It does seem unlikely that Halen will ever receive the Iron Cross, but it seems equally unlikely he'd lose too much sleep over it.

I like the parallels between the partition of Prussia and that of Poland. A fitting revenge on one of the three culprits. For now.

It remains to be seen whether the formation of Germany is as much of a boon as France seems to think it is. If not, there's plenty of work for Halen.

Excellent AAR, I'm curious to see what happens next. Halen seems to be getting a bit old for this and I wouldn't be suprised if he began losing much of his tactical genius and become arrogant.

I think he's almost ready to die. Almost. He has allies everywhere but the Ottomons, Russia, Britain, and the Netherlands. Yet, none of them seem like likely canadites for alliance.

It'll be an intresting climax, that's for certain.

Chapter 13: Empire

I have hardly mentioned it up until this point, but there was a sizeable movement of people across many countries - including within our own ranks - who wished to see Halen enter the service of a government or even forge his own country, as he could so easily do. I said that in 1849, there was some discussion of giving the Polish throne to Halen. I did not mention that in 1850, when the Polish elections concluded, Halen had been voted into the Regency as Minister of Defense for Poland - he was forced to write to the Regency and politely decline the position, as we had already left for Switzerland at the time. In 1851, shortly before the Partition of Prussia, the Swiss elections had a similar result. Halen had been elected to the Council of States as one of the deputies for Geneva (where we were quite well liked, being based there and having never run afoul of the population). Under the December, 1848 constitution which Halen himself had helped to implement, Halen would have had to give up his career as a mercenary to take the seat. Thus, he was forced to reject this too.

Even as Halen grew popular amongst his friends, he grew decidedly unpopular amongst his enemies. Kaiser Wilhelm and his disposed father had been forced into exile by the fall of Prussia, but their voices were still heard in many of the courts of Europe. The Ottoman Turks never forgave Halen for the loss of Thessalia (they launched a campaign against the Greeks to retake in 1851, which failed without our intervention, meaning that Thessalia was very likely lost to them forever), and Czar Nicholas of Russia never forgave Halen for his meddling in Finland. The Dutch still remembered the loss of Belgium at Halen’s hands, and across a tiny channel of water, the British fumed in London at the five minor slights my friend had dealt them. That said, for the moment, all these voices were powerless and distant and their criticisms meek. Halen’s last critic had been Prussia.

In the autumn of 1852, with the partition of Prussia complete and Germany risen to take its place, we once against returned to Switzerland. Our host had now grown to 12,000 persons - a hodgepodge from all over Europe. French, Belgians, Spanish, Italians, Swiss, Germans, Scandavians, Poles, and Greeks were the major cultures amongst our men, but we had a few from everywhere. We had grown so vast that we had trouble accomodating the entire force in our army base in Geneva, and several times Halen had to purchase or lease additional land from the surrounding the base. The base could not be expanded without limit, though, and our fort was already one of the largest army installations in the world by 1852.

I suggested to Halen, in partial jest, that we should conquer a country of our own - Montenegro, perhaps - to supply and house our troops. Halen waived the suggestion off in all sobriety, replying that having a territory of his own would merely create a target for his enemies. After some negotiation with the Swiss government (and some small legal debate about the meaning of Article IX of the 1848 Swiss Constitution), we were granted a lease on a second base in the canton of Vaud. I would jokingly say this was the start of Halen’s Empire.

HO Rifles had now become so vast a unit that Halen saw fit to reorganize it into two new regiments: Halen’s 1st Rifles and Halen’s 2nd Rifles. These two units alternated as Halen’s own guards at our command post in Geneva while the other was billeted in Vaud.

Europe was again at peace in winter of 1862, excepting the defeat of a large rebellion in eastern Austria and a flare-up of tensions between the new German state and the UK over Heligoland. These tensions exploded into a war in November fought between a makeshift alliance of the UK and the Netherlands against Germany. Russia, who had responded to the unification of Germany with alarm, quickly declared a separate war against Germany - we left Geneva for nearby Munich immediately as Kaiser Maximillian again requested our assistance.

As the war progressed, it became clear to us that we likely need not have bothered - the Dutch were widely regarded as a great power because of their far-flung colonial empire and not for their army, which was only 27,000 men all told (having never recovered from the Liberation of Belgium, now almost twenty years past). Of those 27,000, there were only 18,000 in Holland while the remainder policed the colonies. By the time we arrived in Hannover to take command of the German Army, the local commanders had smashed the Dutch forces and reduced them to 9,000 men overall who had fled into Osnabruck to escape capture; HO rifles surrounded them and they surrendered to us in December. This left the Dutch without an army in Europe, and Halen marched to Amsterdam without opposition.

The British preferred to keep their distance from us in this war, sending no expeditionary forces to Europe and prosecuting the war by means of the Royal Navy, who blockaded the ports at Schwerin and Bremen, to our mild annoyance. However, their navy could not liberate the Netherlands from German occupation. Of much greater concern were the Russians, who had somehow obtained Austria’s permission to march through Moravia and Bohemia to Germany. A Russian Army arrived in Weimar quite unexpectedly in January. This bold move forced Halen to rapidly move his command to Berlin to counter this new threat, leaving the occupation of Belgium and the siege of Amsterdam in the hands of the capable German commanders.

Halen quickly assumed command of the German Home Army of about 33,000 soldiers and destroyed the attacking Russian Army of about 40,000. The Russians, mostly conscripts, tired from their long march through Austria, disorganized, demoralized, and far from home surrendered without much of a fight. Russia would continue to send armies about 30-40,000 people and a few smaller forces to raid the German territories they could reach by Austria’s good graces. Halen would destroy all of them without problems.

During this period, Halen would make a curious discovery. When the Russians were marching through Saxony, their generals would halt the army and camp if their scouts spotted Halen’s own army in a bordering province, but by withdrawing slightly beyond the range of their scouts - to Dessau, say, the Russian army would think we had moved off and advance. Then Halen could fall on the column (as we didn’t have military access to Saxony) and destroy it. He repeated this trick several times throughout the campaign. My friend also remarked that he’d noticed that the Russians would often make strange movements, positioning their armies to counter what he had been doing several days ago.

Eventually, we realized that poor Russian intelligence and disorganization in Germany led to a curious phenomenon. Communication and relaying of orders were slow in the Russian armies, so the Russian generals would receive intelligence late and their orders would reach the rank-and-file even later, by which point we had moved on. This lag time most often allowed us to surround the Russian units or cut them off. Halen also reflected on our experience in Finland, when we had marched into St. Petersburg unopposed because the Russians had no realized we were there. The Russian forces, he realized, were poor and disorganized so they had slower relaying of orders and information, while Halen, in command of HO Rifles and German units under Von Moltke’s general staff seemed to move almost instanteously at Halen’s command. The army moved like an extension of his own body.

He later confided in me that the battles in Germany had impressed upon him the importance of speed and knowledge on the battlefield. A general could not lead without current information about the battle, and even if he was on the front lines himself, he relied heavily on messengers to inform him. If a combat unit, such as our army, can move faster than the speed of the information going to the general, then he will be fundamentally unable to counter the maneuvers of the other army, unless he can predict them. Most generals, Halen continued, act in a reactionary manner particularly when on the defensive.

Thus, Halen postulated a new doctrine of warfare, wherein one’s armies would attack so quickly that in the time it took for information to reach the defenders, that information was already out of date and useless. Thus, Halen, said, all momentum on the battlefield would rest with the attackers who could easily cut off and surround defending units and achieve their objectives. Such a strategy would rely heavily on a fast, strong, and mobile army -- possibly cavalry or even an army traveling by rail and the ability to destroy and disrupt lines of communications. This would prove a difficult strategy to execute but devestatingly effective if used properly, said my friend. He was convinced that it could become the new face of warfare.

When he proposed this idea to the German general staff, Halen described it as “a fast offensive.” Our German colleagues called it Blitzkrieg.

Though I am not convinced that such a tactic could prove effective even with a force entirely of cavalry, as messages even before telegraphy traveled quickly by train, Halen’s new postulate for warfare proved stunningly effective in Madgeburg, where the Russians sent army after army. Halen sent the most mobile elements of his army to engage them, baffling the enemy commanders as they heard of skirmishes only after they had finished. More often than not, they found themselves surrounded before they even knew Halen had engaged them. It was a stroke of genius on Halen’s part.

Amsterdam fell to the German commanders in the west by July and the rest of the Netherlands in the months that followed. The English never sent an army to oppose us in Europe, prefering to stick to their blockades, while the Russians sent thousands upon thousands to die or be captured facing Halen in Germany. The UK and the Dutch came to the table in December. On January 1, 1854, the Treaty of Amsterdam was signed. The UK, with considerable reluctance, ceded Heligoland to Germany. It was the sixth time Halen crossed the British.

The Dutch agreed to release Luxembourg (who Maximilian still viewed as German) from vassalage. They were also forced to allow Java, their crown jewel of their colonies, independence. Java became a new nation under Germany’s protection shortly thereafter.

The Russians, however, refused to back down. While they would have agreed to a White Peace, Germany now demanded a concession from them: that the region of Rovne be surrendered to a free Ukrainian state in exchange for the release of Russian prisoners taken during the war. The Czar continued to haplessly fling troops at Halen (which became more hopeless with peace in the west) eventually culminating in a disastrous two-pronged offensive from Leipzig into Halle and Cottbus, Halen destroyed the bulk of both armies before Czar Nicholas finally backed down. Russia had lost more than 200,000 men in the war at the cost of only about 20,000 Germans. On April 9, they agreed to cede Rovne to a new, free Ukrainian state under German protection.

During our campaigns in Germany, we were once attacked in Berlin by Prussian nationalists, who still roamed the streets strong and free. About a hundred or so marched haphazardly down a street and opened fire on Halen (who was then in the company of an entire brigade of HO Rifles, who easily destroyed the small rebel unit). Halen was uninjured. Unfortunately, Halen’s horse - Hest, our friend of almost twenty years - was struck by a round and died later that evening.

Kaiser Maximilian, as King Frederick IV of Denmark had done before him, offered Halen a horse from the German stables as recompense but Halen rejected the suggestion, and went without a horse for some time. Maximilian instead awarded Halen the Order of St. Hubertus for his valor in the defense of eastern Germany.

As for Russia, the Czar’s country had been badly wounded during the war. There are always those willing to take advantage of the weak.

-------------------
Halen's Personal Information:
Followers: ~14,000 (2 brigades of guards, 1 brigade of artillery, 1 brigade of dragoons)
Title and Honors: Protector of Denmark and Switzerland, Liberator of Belgium, Finland, Poland, and Ukraine, Grand Croix Legion of Honor (France), Grand Cross of the Order of the Redeemer (Greece), Grand Cross of the Order of Leopold (Austria), Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (Scandavia), Defender of Christendom (Papacy), Order of the White Eagle (Poland), Royal Order of Saint George (Bavaria), Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold (Belgium), Order of St. Hubertus (Germany)
Notable Campaigns:
Danish-Holstein Campaign (1836-1839)
Belgian Campaign (1839-1840)
Greek Campaign (1841-1843)
Finnish Campaign (1844-1845)
Second Carlist War (1847)
Italian Campaign (1848)
Polish Campaign (1849)
Magdeburg Campaign (1850)
Partition Campaign (1851-1852)
German Campaign (1853-1854)

Wow - Character Writer of the Week and WritAAR of the Week! I'm glad to hear that you like the AAR.

I'm going to post pictures of Halen's world only at the very end.

And I've written a decision that gives him to any country I like. I had to save-game edit him out of countries he's left and edit HO rifles into countries that he's newly joined. Playing this game has involved a lot of tag switching, yes.

looks like Halen's list of enemies grows on a regular basis - I fear Brittania may well decide to waive the rules in the near future?

I think Brittania in the near future will be more than happy to sink any ship Halen's in

Those are going to be some fairly powerful enemies to reckon with. Britain, Russia, the Ottomans... our General Halen is definitely going to have to watch himself.

Do you have any plans to claim a territory for him, or will halen always be stateless?

I think taking a coastal port in Africa might be good fun...

Chapter 14: War and Peace

Many readers may wonder why Austria decided to grant Russia military access when only a decade ago they had been bitter enemies. The Czar did not stop to ask himself this question when he declared war against Germany, only thinking that it would give him a chance to assert dominance over a dangerous new enemy. Let bygones be bygones, Emperor Joseph of Austria wrote to the Czar in the letter that confirmed the treaty.

In reality, it was a ruse. On May 10, 1854, Austria declared war against Russia, with a hundred thousand unprepared Russian soldiers still marching back through Austria, many of whom were quickly captured. The second Crimean War began on that very day, with the Ottomans, the French, the Spanish, and the Poles quickly declaring their own wars against the wounded Russian state. Unlike the First Crimean War, each nation had launched its own independent war with its own goals in mind. Austria announced that it was seeking Russia’s cessation of the rest of the Ukraine; France desired a free Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia be freed to deny Russia a warm-water port in the Atlantic; Poland demanded the return of its provinces still in Russian hands, and the Ottomans sought to drive Russia from the caucus mountains and the Greek penisula.

I will, of course, overview Halen’s role as in the events to come as it was a major one, but I must necessarily spare considerable attention to the state of global politics in the general sense. The Crimean Wars, as they came to be called, were so massive in scope that they exceeded the influence of any one man, even a man as great as Halen. Over a million men died in the fighting that ensued, and new wars and objectives were declared almost weekly from one nation or another.

We traveled to Poland from Germany at the outset of the war to take command of the Polish army in their fight against Russia. To say that we took command is perhaps an overstatement; the Polish army consisted of two brigades standing at that time. We were, in effect, the Polish army until reserves of conscripts could be mobilized to reinforce us. We initially fought the war on the defensive, and Halen decided to defend rather than attack. Russia sent several clumsy armies of a few thousand men each into Poland which we quickly destroyed - only after the Czar realized that Halen had arrived in Russia did he begin sending us serious challengers. We would remain in Poland until the summer of 1855, when Russian attacks on Poland had finally abated and we could move freely into the territory that Breslau desired.

The escalation of the war during this period was terrible. In June, Italy, backed by France, declared war against Austria with the intent of liberating north italy from their rule. In August, Persia declared against the Ottomans and Russia in the hopes of defeating both wounded armies, and in November Greece declared war against the Ottomans for Macedonia. February brought the news that Egypt had also declared against the Ottomans. Europe seemed to have exploded around us, and we heard more and more news of wars, goals, and dead men every day.

As in Germany, the Russians sent forces into Poland of about 40,000 men or one or two armies at a time, which Halen easily outmaneuvered and dislodged. They a hundred of thousand of men in Poland to Halen at the cost of perhaps 12,000 Poles. By 1855, even the limitless manpower of Russia seemed to have finally wavered and the numbers of their army began to drop drastically. By the spring, when we began our offensive, the Russian army was fewer than 150,000 men while Poland had supplied us with more than 40,000. Moreover, Russia’s army was primarily engaged with Austria in the Ukraine and Crimea or else in the Caucuses against the Ottomans and the Persians. This allowed us to begin a slow march up north, up past the Baltics and towards St. Petersburg.

For the other warring powers, the war had been devestating. Hundreds of thousands died, sometimes thousands a day, and the home front became destabilized. An uprising in northwestern Austria turned into rebellion as revolutionaries declared a free Bohemian state in September, 1855. In December, Albania rebelled against Ottoman rule and Iraq followed suit in January. Both states gained de facto independence only months later as local armies were flung abroad. Europe had plunged into utter chaos as wars and rebellions ran rampant and in turns, only our army, it seemed, was making any real progress towards victory.

Even we neared St. Petersburg for a second time, Czar Nicholas abruptly died. His successor, Czar Alexander II, immediately called for peace and Halen, using his substantial influence with all warring parties, was able to call them all to the bargaining table. As the delegates converged on Vienna, the situation stood as follows: Poland, under Halen’s military leadership, had won a tremendous victory against Russia. Austria, by blood and steel, had done the same. The Ottomans and Russians had fought to a stalemate. The French had substantially damaged Russian standing in the Baltics. The Italians had soundly defeated the Austrians in North Italy, as the Austrians had failed to defend it as their armies were locked in combat in Russia. Persia had been rebuked in the Caucuses, and Egypt had won a minor victory against the Ottomans. Greece had won a resounding victory and occupied much of Eastern Europe.

Virtually all of the warring states (with the exception of Greece and Italy and, to a lesser extent, Poland) has sustained devestating casualties, were fighting open rebellions, and most were as interested in ensuring that no such war ever occured again as they were defending their original war goals. Eventually, under Halen’s mediation, a series of treaties were drafted. These treaties, collectively called the Peace of Vienna, dictated the following:

A number of new states would be created from the territories that were fought over during the war. These territories would be buffer states, their neutrality and borders guaranteed by all the warring Great Powers jointly.

Russia, the clear loser, would cede all territorial claims on Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Ukraine to their respective owners. The Ottomans would recognize the independence of Albania and Iraq and abandon all its territorial claims in eastern Europe, which would either be incorporated into newly created Yugoslavian or Bulgarian states or Greece (or in one case, Wallachia). The Ottomans would further release their vassal states in Europe. Austria would recognize Bohemia, cede Lombardia to Italy, cede Crotia to Yugoslavia, and some parts of Galicia to Ukraine. There were a number of other small provisions as well, such as the transfer of territory between Russia and Moldova and the incorporation of Serbia and Montenegro into Yugoslavia.

The Peace of Vienna would prove to be the largest redrawing of European borders since the Napoleonic Wars, involving the founding of eight new countries, recognition of three more, freedom from vassalage of two and destruction of two others, and the movement of nearly six million people into new nations.

And yet, the magnitude of the Peace matched the scale of the war. In Russia, one in ten people had fought in the war - and yet Russia’s army stood at fewer than a hundred thousand men towards the end where half a million had once marched. When the war ended and they sent their reserves back to their homes and families, Russia’s standing army consisted of only two regiments, hardly enough to even defend the Czar’s palace. Austria was wracked by reactionary and separatist rebellions, as were the Ottomans - a wave of revolutions the likes of which had not been seen since the Springtime of Nations.

It was a curious sort of war where everyone seemed to have lost.We only hoped that the Peace of Vienna and the new order we had created would prevent a second such war. Poland and Ukraine now separated Austria and Germany from Russia. Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Armenia came between the Ottomans and Russia in the Caucuses, while Romania and Yugoslavia now separated the Hapsburg Emperor, the Czar, and the Sublime Porte in the Greek penisula.

After the peace treaty was finally signed, we departed Austria and returned to Switzerland - but Halen decided to depart for France in plain clothes, taking no guards with him. When he returned, he had a new horse - a smallish northern Palomino. He had named him Belli, and Belli would be Halen’s last horse.

The year that followed, 1857, would mark the fortieth year since I first met Halen in South America. He had finally started to grow old, as he reached his sixties I think, his dark hair starting to become flecked with gray.

And in that year, 1857, we would finally have the confrontation that had been in the making for forty years. It was to be Halen’s last campaign.

-------------------
Followers: ~18,000 (2 brigades of guards, 2 brigades of artillery, 2 brigades of dragoons)
Title and Honors: Protector of Denmark and Switzerland, Liberator of Belgium, Finland, Poland, and Ukraine, Grand Croix Legion of Honor (France), Grand Cross of the Order of the Redeemer (Greece), Grand Cross of the Order of Leopold (Austria), Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (Scandavia), Defender of Christendom (Papacy), Order of the White Eagle (Poland), Royal Order of Saint George (Bavaria), Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold (Belgium), Order of St. Hubertus (Germany), Peacemaker (Various)
Notable Campaigns:
Italian Campaign (1848)
Polish Campaign (1849)
Second Crimean War (1855-1856)

There will probably be two more chapters in this work (probably including the epilogue).

No prizes for guessing who Halen will fight in the last campaign.

'Tis coming to an end? I think Halen's going to go out with a bang.

I don't think he wants to settle for Napoleon's fate.

Sorry to have just lurked so long. I've been reading from the start, and loved every word.

PS. WritAAR and Character WritAAR of the Week, while running Shadow of the Andes? That's just showing off. :p Congrats.

Wow; Russia got beaten really badly. An epic tale, to be sure; I'm a little sad it's ending so soon, but I look forward to seeing how the world turns out as a result of General Halen!

I wonder who will be Halen's army against the British. France seems likely, but America would be cool.

It will be really interesting to see the map of Europe once this is all over. Britain poses quite the challenge for Halen given his experience is all land-based and they are primarily a naval power. Taking India off them would be a devastating blow, but it's a long way outside his usual area of operations.

looks like Halen's list of enemies grows on a regular basis - I fear Brittania may well decide to waive the rules in the near future?

:) My wife and I have just spent the last ten minutes trying to work out if this is a chiasmus, but it seems to be a rather more prosaically named transpositional pun. Still got a laugh though.

Chapter 15: The Last Campaign

In 1857, the Sepoy Rebellion, which many Englishmen may better know as the Indian Mutiny, began on the subcontinent. Against the numbers of the Indians, the British Colonial Army and the forces of the East India Company found themselves trapped and surrounded, a handful against a large and well-organized army that they themselves had trained. It was India’s first true gasp for freedom. The Punjabis and the West Indian Coalition under them declared their support for the rebels only days later and China, seeking to curb British influence in the region, also sent some support to the Sepoys. As Britain scrambled to reassert herself, sending thousands of soldiers and hundreds of ships to India, Halen saw a chance.

As early as April, 1857, Halen traveled to the French Court to petition Emperor Napoleon III for his immediate support of the rebellion. French influence, said Halen, would be vital to the success of the Sepoy Rebellion. As in the American Revolution some eighty years earlier, the Imperial Navy would hinder or stop the free flow of troops between the mainland and the colony, leaving the handful of East India Company soldiers and loyalists badly outnumbered against hundreds of thousand of mutineers and foreign troops. France, flush from her recent victories in Prussia, the Crimean, and Lombardia was eager to prove her strength against the old enemies.

While Halen’s voice held considerable sway in French courts and a word from the Emperor might have been enough to start a war, a word from Halen was not. France, nominally a constitutional government under the Emperor, dallied too long. The British parliament was faster to react. Seeking to put pressure on Halen himself, the UK declared my friend a criminal and a pirate in May, citing his breech of the St. Helena’s quarantine almost 40 years ago. We received this message while we were in Paris and in fact a courier delivered it to us in the presence of the Emperor. The crown’s influence was such that it effectively meant Halen could not travel by ship anywhere in the world and our finances might be impaired (though we had no assets in British banks). Britain hinted that they would rescind this declaration if Halen were to apologize for his past transgressions and “cease [his] agitation regarding India.”

I read this letter aloud to Halen as we met with the Emperor and his court in Louvre shortly after its receipt. I must say that I have never seen a plan backfire more thoroughly than this. At the mere mention of his uncle, Emperor Napoleon III flew into a rage, ranting that to refer to his imperial progenitor and his distinguished in such a flippant way and as nothing more than a bargaining block in negotiations - and to have sent the letter to his court - was nothing less than an insult against French honor. (I privately agreed, but did not interrupt him to say so.) I think that my good Emperor’s courtiers had rarely seen him so passionate about a single point before in his life and began agreeing with his ravings.

At the end of it, he told Halen that any place Napoleon had called home was sacred French soil (and indeed, France had purchased Longwood House from England some years earlier) and that this letter was a terrible provocation against both their honors. Even were India not an issue, he said, this alone would be enough to drive him to war. He asked Halen to take command of the French army, as he had done twice in the past, with the hopes of finally humbling Britain. On the 4th of May, 1857, France declared war against Great Britain with the intent of “restoring French honor” and supporting a rebellion in a country none of us had ever even seen.

Halen was placed in command of the French Army, about 300,000 men standing. I told Halen that I failed to see what good a land war against Britain would serve. In their fight against Germany, the UK had refused to so much as land a single company in the Netherlands, electing to remain in their preferred domain of the sea rather than confront Germany on land. Clearly, I said, Britain would not dare to land a force against the much more powerful France and against so dread a general as himself, particularly when the bulk of their forces were needed in India. He returned that he did not expect an invasion of France.

When I asked if he intended to allow the navy to fight the war for us, he said no. He intended to attack.

We consulted with the French Admiralty within the hour. As most of Britain’s fleet had been called away, they admitted that if action was taken quickly, they could plausibly hold the English Channel for a few hours or perhaps as long as a day before the Royal Navy was able to recall enough ships to the Channel to prevent such. However, they reported that the number of transport vessels available would not reasonably allow them to move the entire army - or even a large portion - across the Channel within that time period.

The admiralty estimated that Britain would immediately begin heavily patrolling the channel the moment the declaration of war was received and any infiltration attempt by sea was likely to be suicidal. We were forced to defer to their judgment. Halen devised a separate plan, and luckily mother nature obliged him, though we scrambled to do the same. That very evening, shortly after nightfall, a small number of handpicked corpsmen from HO Rifles crossed the English channel by balloon. We had been informed by the balloonist that this was an incredibly risky strategy, as the wind typically blew towards France and any number of things could easily go wrong. However, we also discovered that France had been considering exactly such a proposition since the Napoleonic Wars and the stormy seas made a crossing by small ship impossible.

The wind was willing, Our commandos launched from Cherbourg that evening and landed somewhere near Southamptom. From there, they executed Halen’s mission: proceeded to Portsmouth and burned every ship in the royal dockyards. When the French reconaissance spotted the flames, Halen ordered a much larger crossing. Though the bulk the French army had not yet prepared for a channel crossing, HO Rifles were accustomed to being ready to move at a moment’s notice, by sea or land, at Halen’s word. Our 18,000 soldiers were quickly shuttled across the channel, covered by the French Navy against a much diminished English one. Halen traveled with us, and we arrived in Dover on the evening of the 6th, just after nightfall with the guns still blazing all across the channel.

The war had only been on for two days and there was no force to meet us in Dover. I was aware that we had made the crossing fantastically quickly and that some combination of French organization and Halen’s ingenuity had moved into England at incredible speed. Even so, we had not a moment to lose. Halen’s plans, I knew, depended on speed. He had subscribed to the idea of a “fast war” -- that we would have to move so fast the English would not have time to hear the news before. Still, I did not see how we could possibly move faster than England’s messengers, as I was sure that the Royal Navy must have seen us crossing the channel and even assuming that England had no semaphores or light signals to speak of, I did not see how we could move faster than a courier on horseback.

To my shock, Halen ordered us not to march for London (as I had assumed we were going to London) but instead bid us march for the city of Dover. To my amazement, we found a half-dozen 2-2-2 Firefly locomotives with passenger cars waiting for us, with the group of commandos we had sent into the country two days earlier standing around them in plain clothes, grinning and welcoming us. I learned that Halen had deliberately chosen import men from our host who could masquerade as native English speakers and sent them over with suits and a large sum of money. After they had successfully executed their raid on the Portsmouth docks - to this day I don’t know how much damage their arson did. Afterwards, they had traveled east as quickly as they could. Apparently, Halen had previously instructed them in a story they would use to obtain locomotives: they were acting on behalf of an import/export company that worked in foodstuffs and produce, but the war had forced a small fleet of their ships back to the docks at Dover. To prevent the cargo from rotting on the docks, they needed to enlist several trains to meet them and ship it away as fast as possible. They hired several trains under this premise.

Of course, the English engineers quickly realized that we were not in fact here to transport foodstuffs, but overpowering them was no object and our own engineers (who Halen had the foresight to transport across the channel with us) assumed control of the trains while we restrained their proper crews. From there, we steamed straight to London. The trip took well under four hours by the speedy Fireflies and we arrived at King’s Cross Station a little after midnight, unchallenged and unopposed. We had reorganized on the trains and disembarked with our plans and objectives fresh in our minds and our maps close at hand.

We marched south from King’s Cross for about half an hour, perhaps a little less, along nearly deserted nighttime streets. Twice, we were challenged by patrolling bobbies, who seemed not to understand that we were an invading army and not some sort of riot. After we reached the Thames, we split into two forces: half of our unit would go with Halen to secure centers of the legislature and high government while the other half would neutralize centers of bureaucracy and the various ministry buildings.

I marched with Halen and the 1st HO’s Rifles to seize Buckingham Palace, Queen Victoria’s residence, Westminister, the home of parliament, and 10 Downing Street, where then-Prime Minister Henry Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston and the Chancellor of the Exechequer, and the Chief Whip resided. At Halen’s command, we first took Parliament (it was the middle of the night and the building was poorly guarded - we cleared the structure before posting sentries outside - there wasn’t much to do.) From there, Halen had us take Downing Street, but oddly he was more concerned with the 12th than the 10th. He entered 12 Downing Street with a contingent of his Own Rifles and emerged a few minutes later, apparently deep in thought. As we stormed 10 Downing Street and captured Temple, Halen seemed thoughtful and bid me send runners to rest of HO Rifles, which I did, though he did not tell me the message they bore.

From there, we at last marched to Buckingham Palace where we would fight our first battle in England - the first of many, as it happened. However, Halen kept his distance from the building and bid us not to engage the guards that surrounded it. Instead, he had us quietly encircle Wellington Barracks, concealing ourselves in nearby buildings, and told me he would not attack the Palace until at least 8 AM the following day - I had known Halen long enough not to ask why.

At 8 AM sharp, Halen ordered the attack to begin. To their credit, the Grenadier Guards billeted around the Palace did not surrender even as we vastly outnumbered them. We had positioned artillery around the palace as best we could in the night without alerting the guards and opened up shortly before the offensive, quickly destroying Wellington Barracks in its entirety -- I do not know how many of the Guards died when we brought that barracks down. I imagine it was many.

We finally overwhelmed the remaining Grenadier Guards at around 9 AM and stormed the Palace. Queen Victoria was not in residence, Halen told us as we took the building. She was in Edinborough. However, he said, the seizure of her residence would be a tremendous blow to British pride. After posting our own guard units (including heavy artillery in the palace proper), Halen departed for Westminister with the rest of our unit.

During the half-mile march there, we passed through now crowded and busy streets that had been totally vacant only hours ago. Halen had decided to fly the French flag and the gray-striped banner - the standard of HO Rifles. I know passersbys could not quite seem to understand what they were seeing. Some stared in loose-jawed awe. The idea of us marching through London unopposed seemed impossible to them. Impossible? No more impossible than us marching through Paris, or Brussels, or Amsterdam, or Berlin, or Rome, or Athens, or Vienna, or Krakow, or St. Petersburg, or any other city that was once thought invulnerable.

When we reached Westminster, I finally asked Halen why he had chosen to wait until 8 AM to begin the attack. He explained as we entered the building of Parliament that the chief whip had told him a vote was scheduled for 7 AM that morning - early for strategy reasons. As London had not appeared to be in any danger at 7 AM and the British army had not yet realized we were in London, it had been a simple matter to capture the MPs as they had entered the building. Ironically, the vote had been on the India Act, designed to commit more troops abroad.

Indeed, as we entered we found that HO Rifles had taken hundreds prisoner in their own capitol. However, Halen did not seem happy. He called for various officers (who arrived promptly) and, in a commandeered boardroom, explained that our situation was dire. The British home army, he said, was sixty thousand men including the Queen’s Guard (some of whom we had smashed that very morning), but Britain could easily mobilize as many as a hundred thousand soldiers in the home islands without trouble. Though most would not arrive in London for some time, some of these units could easily constitute inside the city itself, which we did not have the manpower to fully occupy. We would be fighting partisans immediately, he told us.

Moreover, local supply would not last us more than a few weeks and we had no secure supply lines from France. We had arrived here by Dover, he said, but the eighty miles from Dover to Westminister were not secure. Last, we could expect no reinforcements. If we stayed in London, we would be attempting to occupy and fortify a hostile city against the steepest odds we had ever faced, my friend said gravely, the enemy being one of the finest armies in the world. 18,000 against 168,000, I had to admit, were worse even than our battles at Ganja.

Halen concluded that the city was indefensible in the long run (and if Halen said that a city was indefensible, it was indefensible). He ordered to us to prepare to withdraw from the city, scorching as went, because otherwise we would be forced from. Sure enough, no sooner had the local populace realized that we were trying to occupy the city than partisans began to engage us. Angry rioters congregated outside of our hardpoints and formed a handful of small milita cells that we managed to suppress as we executed our general’s orders.

By Halen’s orders, we were to scorch the city as we went. We gathered all the fuel and incindiaries we could commandeer on short order and set fire to Westminster, Buckingham Palace, and the other various centers of government and bureaucracy including the houses on Downing Street, as well as several garrisons and armories. The buildings had burned to their frames by midday and we evacuated the city and began a frantic march south, having destroyed the centers of the British empire and staggered the nation. I knew that from the moment forward, the Empire would never cease to hunt us.

I remember picking up a newspaper dropped in the street as we fled London. The headline, dated today, read “France Declares War,” a headline two days out of date even at the time. The evening editions of the papers would have a very different title.

We marched south, back to Dover, over the course of a day where we seized the city and the beach with ease and rested for the first time in almost three days - France was able to get a small group of supply ships through to us on the 9th and we rearmed and took on what rations we could. We also received a letter for Halen from Emperor Louis-Napoleon, who congratulated him on the burning of London. We sent back a number of prisoners we had taken in London (including the Prime Minister Henry Temple), Halen corresponded with a message to the French forces on the continent and told us we were to march west along the coast with all available speed, burning as many dockyards as we could and denying their use to the Royal Navy.

Our campaign along the English coast would take us as far west as Cornwall, and our efforts on the land combined with those of the Imperial Navy at sea succeeded in establishing French dominance in the channel by early June, and brought us as far west as Cornwall. This significantly improved our supply situation, as French supply ships could now regularly make the crossing, but it also brought us the dire news that the French army would not be able to join us in England for at least another month. Unlike our haphazard piling into every ship we could find in France, the French army would need proper transports and supplies and all that that they insisted on, and while the French Navy (now joined by the Belgian, Spanish, and Italian navies) was confident they could hold the channel, time was not on our side.

The wait might not have been terrible had it not been for dire news from our reconaissance teams. Britains’ home army had been joined with newly mobilized troops. Though we had overestimated their ability to draft new conscripts, particularly after we had burned the London armories and captured the Prime Minister, more than a hundred thousand British soldiers were bearing down on us in Cornwall. I told Halen that we might consider retreat from England, crossing back across the channel and returning when it suited us, but he rejected the idea. Every available element of the French navy had to be devoted to the channel crossing, he said, rather than rescuing a force of our size or else they might not managed the true invasion by the time the bulk of the royal navy (which had been called away to India and China for the Sepoy Rebellion and the Opium conflict) returned.

That left the question of where to make our stand. I had suggested that with our greater maneuverability we could outrun the British army, but Halen soon told me that they had encircled us in a broad loop and were closing, making escape impossible without a breakout.

Halen chose the place to make our stand as Bude, a place between Devon and Cornwall where I saw we could take up defensive positions behind the nearby Tamar River and neighboring canal system. We had more than a week to dig in (which involved some raids into nearby Wales for specific supplies that Halen requested). Then, we waited.

The British army crossed the Tamar River further south than our lines and advanced north to our positions near Red Post. Halen had anticipated this. When the British force had neared to just two days away from us, he called a conference among all HO Rifles.

He said the following: “I need a thousand men willing to die by my side.”

Practically every man in the field raised his hand. In the end, a mix of veterans from the first and second HO Rifles marched with Halen down towards the enemy, down Holsworthy road towards Littlebridge Wharf. He said that they would meet the enemy tomorrow, while we took positions in the hills to the west, overlooking the road. I pleaded with Halen not to go, telling him that even if he lured the British forces into this ambush we could not possibly destroy them as we did not have enough ammunition - he said that he would go, because he knew he could lure them into the trap. I then begged him to let me come with him; he said no to this as well, saying that HO Rifles would still need a general, and gave me both general’s stars and custody of Belli. Then he gave me a very specific set of orders.

The British Home army marched north up the road to Red Post, where they believed our emplacements to be, only to find a small encampment of our soldiers apparently unawares in the road. They quickly surrounded the emplacement and the rifles Halen had taken with him sprang up, as if they had no idea they would be attacked, and hastily formed into a makeshift defensive line. Halen himself took to the center of the circle and raised a flag of truce, shouting that he wished to speak to the British commanding officer under terms of parley. This much I could see from my secret position in the hills above the road.

What happened next I know only from the account of a survivor.

The British army, marching nearly a kilometer long, collapsed into this small region wishing to see Halen - the man who had burned London, their ultimate enemy - as their commander rode up from the rear to speak to him. The British general was Lester Gough, a brash young man and a hopeless incompetent - but the only general in the home islands who they had been able to recall on such short notice. Gough rode forward on a white stallion, mustache flopping ridiculously in the wind, to gawk at Halen himself. He met Halen at the makeshift line under the principles of a truce and gloated.

Gough said that he was surprised to have found such a valuable criminal and pirate so easily. Halen replied that he had been found only because he wanted to be found. Gough laughed and returned that this was mere posturing on Halen’s part, and that the latter had been caught because he had not known the British had crossed the river to the south and believed that they had the run of the western bank. Halen said that this was not the case, and this was, in fact, a trap and his own army was not far. Gough laughed again and said that this was the worst bluff he had ever heard and that there would be no peace negotiation.

Halen said there would be. Gough replied that Halen had two choices: he and his men would surrender or they would execute Halen on the spot. Halen returned that they could not execute a general who had approached them under flag of truce, Gough shot back that Halen was not a general but a rat; Halen replied the truce could then be considered broken.

The last words my source quoted exactly:

“Will you surrender then?” asked Gough.

Halen then turned away from Gough. He stared up at the trees, exactly at where I was then concealed. Where Halen knew I would.

“No,” Halen said.

I could read his lips through my binoculars. That had been the signal. With a tick of my finger, I gave an order - our signal corps sent a flare a second later and a moment after that, our engineering team station inside Littlebridge Wharf, the largest reservoir in the southern UK, detonated more than a ton of nitroglycerin we had confiscated from Welsh coal mines over the last week. The boom was loud enough to hear in Devon, I’m told. A tidal wave of water, high as a mountain, crashed down over the entire home army of Britain, more than a hundred and fifty thousand men swept away. I saw Halen at the moment before that wave hit. His face was one of absolute calm, and he was simply staring at the sky.

The water tossed soldiers like toys, and it took more than half an hour for the current to fall low enough for men to wade through. It was then I ordered the dragoons out to search for survivors, who were scattered all along the river for miles down. The British were still there, in their tens of thousands, but they were no longer an army. Those few with the will left to fight us could not: their gunpowder had been soaked useless by the flood, and they were forced to surrender or die with a knife in hand. We captured more than a hundred and twenty thousand soldiers that day, the rest having died or scattered. The Dragoons found General Lester Gough, alive but battered. There was no sign of Halen.

They brought Gough to me, for Halen had left me in command of Halen’s rifles. I was disgusted at the sight of him - this foul creature who had insulted Halen, for whom Halen had traded his own life. I, sitting on Halen’s own horse wearing the general’s stars that Halen had given me, felt the anger of it all come crashing down and I ordered Gough hanged. The HO Rifles were about to do as I ordered when a very familiar voice said, “Don’t.”

I whipped around and I saw Halen standing there, haggered and bruised, his hair soaked and perhaps whiter than it had been when we had set out, but he was alive. He turned to Gough and asked, “Will you surrender then?”

Gough was speechless.

Halen looked out over the valley, where we had rounded up a hundred thousand surrendered troops that we didn’t know what to do with. He then turned to me and said,

“I can fix this, but I will need a horse.”

Smiling, I dismounted from Belli and handed the reins to Halen, who climbed on and rode out. With the dragoons at his back, he went out into the British lines and spoke to the prisoners, to my amazement, and when he returned any idea they might have ever had of additional rebellion seemed to be gone. That was one of Halen’s many powers. When I asked him what he had told them, he simply said:

“I said that we are not here for their Queen or their country or their liberty. We are here on behalf of millions half a world away who merely want to be free, as they are. I have fought many men on many fields, many times in their own countries, but it has never been for the cause of tyranny.”

Before our victory was complete, there was one final hurdle to overcome.

Little more than a week later, an emissary arrived from the provisional British goverment (which had returned to London) with a message for Halen. He did not bring a surrender, as we had hoped, or even terms of peace. Instead he said to Halen that the British government was prepared to make Halen an offer: if he agreed to switch sides in the conflict and join the British, the crown would drop all charges against him and recompense him with one million pounds sterling -- a staggering figure. It is one of the few times I have seen Halen scowl. He told the emissary, “You cannot purchase my loyalty, only my interest.” With that, he sent the man away.

Strangely, it was not the last time I saw him. The man was caught by our sentries trying to sneak into the camp that same night. As Halen was asleep, he was brought to me. The man, once he could see me said that he understood Halen was a madman and would not see reason, but if I could sway the opinion of HO Rifles, Britain would compensate each man in the company with 100 pounds Sterling and give me a consideration of 100,000 pounds.

It is one of the few times in my life that I have literally seen red, my vision turning the color of my rage.

I yelled at him that we were not mercenaries. “Halen did not buy our loyalty!” I screamed. “He won it! In Denmark and Switzerland and Belgium and Finland and Poland and Germany and Greece, at Ganja and at St. Petersburg and at Dusseldorf and Kiel and Chancha Rayada and a hundred other fields I can hardly name!” With that, I ordered the man hanged as a spy and this time, there was no Halen to intervene. When my friend found out the following morning, he said nothing, but he smiled ever so slightly when I told him what I had said.

When the French Army arrived in July, we occupied much of the British Home Islands before the crown (the functions of government had defaulted heavily to the queen with the loss of the democratically elected representatives) finally agreed to a peace treaty. Without the support of the home islands and the Royal Navy, the British Army in India was overrun by the Sepoys and their Chinese and Punjabi confederates. The British general in India, one David Hamilton, was one of the few that Halen said he respected. I am told that Hamilton’s last words before his surrender were, “Out of ammunition. God Save the Queen.” India was recognized as independent nation shortly thereafter and the princely states agreed to annexation by a single unified government in the subcontinent.

Halen was not kind to the UK at the bargaining table in the Treaty of London. After our second capture of the British Capital, he insisted that Canada, Australia, South Africa, and Ireland be released from British rule. The British had no choice but to agree.

We were welcomed back to France as heroes, and we dined with Emperor Napoleon III in the Louvre Palace. It was only during our dinner with the Emperor that I noticed Halen was coughing. He fell seriously ill two weeks later - pneumonia, the doctors said, likely from his time in the flood. We returned to Switerland where he drafted his will in my presence.

Halen died on September 2nd, 1857.

-------------------
Followers: ~18,000 (2 brigades of guards, 2 brigades of artillery, 2 brigades of dragoons)
Title and Honors: Protector of Denmark and Switzerland, Liberator of Belgium, Finland, Poland, Ukraine, and India, Grand Croix Legion of Honor (France), Grand Cross of the Order of the Redeemer (Greece), Grand Cross of the Order of Leopold (Austria), Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (Scandavia), Defender of Christendom (Papacy), Order of the White Eagle (Poland), Royal Order of Saint George (Bavaria), Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold (Belgium), Order of St. Hubertus (Germany), Peacemaker (Various)
Notable Campaigns:
Italian Campaign (1848)
Polish Campaign (1849)
Second Crimean War (1855-1856)
British Campaign (1857)

So I posted this very shortly before midnight PST. That counts as today, right?

By the way, I’m not British, in case you couldn’t tell. I’m American.

There will be one more post - an epilogue. Also, I wrote about 8,000 words today between Ambition and Shadow of the Andes. Remind me never to do that again. I hope the quality of this work didn't decline with the quantity.