• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Perhaps those I argue against are better at fighting for a country, than actually leading it.

The military will bring war to our doors inside and out.

(Ha, I am arguing all this after I performed a Argentina military blitz to remove the threats in Chile and Peru-Bolivia)

And what do you propose will sustain this defensive measure of yours? Would you rather have civil war, armed rebellion, or an entire nation dedicated to the defense of the realm? Oppressive taxes will turn our own people against us, instead of foreigners. Chile will be a slave to its own army, for clearly you will go far beyond the realms of moderation to protect your interests in a country of the people. Shall we turn Chilean against Chilean in the pursuit of a luxury, or ensure our future prosperity by not tightening the noose around our economy and our people? What people will remain if they realize our neighbors will tax them less, what people will remain if they cannot feed themselves in our realm, what people will join the army of an oppressive tax regime?

The 75% taxes are not oppressive and will not starve the people. Because of our lack of bureaucrats to collect the taxes, we will only collect about 20% or less of the people's income. We need a high tax rate until more bureaucrats can be hired to collect taxes. The people will not starve in the meanwhile and they will have an army capable of protecting our nation.

Not much movement in the last few hours.

Conservadores Candidates:
Francisco Rivera: 6
Eduardo Emilio Romano: 8

Alliance with Paraguay
Yes: 5
No: 7

That does not mean the people do not feel a 75% tax on their revenue. That means our bureaucracy is corrupt and ill-suited for the task of efficient and modern government. The people will starve greatly and that army you so value, I will remind you, will still cause a deficit in our budget. Clearly several things need to go down, and I believe the military is one of the highest priorities. There is no other way to avoid bankruptcy, which will destroy the army no matter how much you want to preserve it.

Name: Antonio Haap
Born: 1807, 29 years old
Background: Born in the outskirts of Santiago to an Austrian farmer, Antonio believed in hard work and toil, and also believes in extreme nationalism. He believes in jingoistic policies, but also believes that the economy of the nation must be strong, and mainly invests in mines and his plantations.

Votes: Paraguay Question: No to Paraguayan alliance

Vote: Francisco Rivera

You want a strong economy but support a man proposing crushing taxes and walking down the path to bankruptcy...

The heart of an economy is industry, and with support to our fatherland, military, and industry, I believe that the policies set in place by Francisco will be profitable for ALL aspects of the nation.

What industry will be encouraged by impoverishing the commoner? Surely the industry of generals, but not the industry of fishermen, craftsmen, farmers. These generals owe the people their industry, now the generals turn on the people as quickly as they rose to power.

You may hold a great point, but with new conquered lands, and the regaining of our glorious territories to the north, a great age of power would sweep our nation. The mines of Chile too show profitability, and with enough investment these mines can create enough jobs for the poor.

Name: Alberto José Pierce (Albert Joseph Pierce)
Date of Birth: 1799
Party: Liberales
Background: His father Joseph Micheal Pierce fought as a member of the Continental Army during the American Revolution, rising to the rank of Captain before the Army was disbanded in 1783. He than enlisted in the Georgian Militia rising to the rank of Major before retiring around 1799 to Savannah Georgia. Albert Pierce grew up hearing tales about the American Revolution from his father and wanted to do his part to spread the cause of democracy. Apprenticed to a printer he worked as a typesetter until he joined the Georgian Militia when he turned 16 ,but never saw action in the War of 1812. After being discharged from the militia he and a group of like minded young men managed to Stowaway or book passage (He has never admitted it) to South America and eventually found himself as part of the army that liberated Chile from the Royalists in 1818. Unlike most of his surviving companions he elected to remain in the New Republic and become a citizen rather than travel back home to America. Changing his name to Alberto Jose he settled down in Santiago, working a mix of odd jobs before using his savings and war booty to purchase a printing press and open his own print-shop. While nominally a supporter of the Liberales he supports expansionism of Chile, espousing a view similar to that of American Manifest Destiny, and wishes for an increasing role in foreign affairs especially forming alliances with other democracies and republics around the world.

OOC: Hopefully this background is okay and its not to late to join.

Last edited:
Ferrando Rodriguez-Mischlewski
Born: 1808
Party: Liberadores
Background: Born to a Spanish father and Polish mother, Ferrando’s father (an avid support of Napoleon) was sent by Joseph I Bonaparte to support the administration of the Grand Captaincy of Chile, as a representative of the Napoleonic Kingdom in Spain. A heavily pregnant Adelajda Mischlewski and Carlos Rodriguez found themselves living on an aristocratic plantation north of Santiago. When Ferrando was born less than a year later, Carlos decided to resign from his duty in Santiago and rise up a plantation on his property. The Rodriguez-Mischlewski family lost everything in 1813 as a the Spanish Reconquista from Peru swept through Chile and the family along with their five year old son found themselves in a slum in the worst part of Santiago. As a youth Ferrando joined the Chilean national army and served in the final months of the Chilean War of Independence. In the time in army Rodriguez-Mischlewski became a colonel and reclaimed his family’s fortune and honour. It was during the 1836 Elections that Ferrando made a decision to become a senator for the Liberadores.

((Hopefully it is okay to start a character now))

"This message I would like to adress to our new members of the Congreso. Particularly the supporters of Senator Riviera. Your concern considering the military, is understandable, and I have said it before and will say it again, for I go to the elections, where I wish to make very small cutbacks on the military, and I have made an economic plan which will restart the engines og Chile, and in the end improve the military to make it more powerfull than earlier.

I have a great respect for our generals and soldiers who contribute to making this a safer Chile, and they are a great part of our society, but they are not the only ones who contribute to the exsistance of Chile. Farmers, Labouerers, capitalists alike, supply our soldiers with food, with equipment, and so on. They are equally important and so we must make sure that our foundation is strong.

You ask me, how I can improve the military when I say I wish to make a cutback? Well let me present to you, what I like to call "Mining-Act".

1) Decrease taxes with 25%, ending down on a taxrate of 50% indstead of the 75%
2) Decrease military spending by 30% of the original proposal, should the Peru-Bolivia act not have passed
a) 10% of the 20 will go for higher salary for our soldiers, and the other 10% will go to salary for the Generals.
b) Last 10% will go to the state treasury.
3) A diplomatic mission to the United States, in order to draw investors for hopefully 5.000 pounds, and a loan on 10.000 pounds.
a) 5.000 Pounds will go to buy new machinery for government mines, increasing the production of gold and minerals.
b) 10.000 Pounds will go to the construction of new mines, further increasing our production.
4) The profit of the mining industry will go to repay our debt by a small amount each month, lower the taxes down to 35% from the 50%, improve our military once again by another 20% after the original cut has been reparied.

This plan will secure Chile, and its people acceptive living conditions, while sparing the military as much as possible, while in a few years time we will be able to improve the military with a whole 20% after the original cutback has been refunded.

The supporters of Riviera have a very gloomy view of our future. Either it seems to be starvation and a strong military, or starvation under a foreign government. I see opportunities where my adversery see's problems. Mining is our main industry, and it is this profession which we will make our living in this and the next life time.

All the adverseries have been doing so far, is to attempt to scare supporters away from me, portraying me as a Chilean Anti-christ, while I understand that in the game of politics, one must attempt to promote ones own policies, while finding faults in the opponents policies, but so far all I have heard is that everything will be allright if the military is strong. Let me share a secret with you - it will not. I urge you to at least read my proposal, for this is my plan to make Chile a better place, a safer place, not under spanish - portugese - english or any other foreign rule - but under Chilean rule. There is no shame in changing your votes, for we all make mistakes and we all learn something new day by day."

On a more man to man basis, I would like to ask Antonio Haap, why you wish to support Senator Riveria, when you want to invest in the Mining Industry, and the economy. This is exactly my policies as you can read above. I hope you reconsider, because I feel you belong more in my camp than in Riviera's".

- Senator Romano

Last edited:
My platform for Chile is "Strong Military, Strong Industry". The economy is not an afterthought in my policies. I will promote the advancement of modern mining and farming techniques. In order to speed up the process of economic modernization I will strongly encourage our citizens to join the clergy to provide our population with education and comfort in difficult times. As soon as we are able I will have the government invest in a winery, a cement factory and a small arms factory. We will finance this through loans from our national bank or from foreign banks in the UK and US. The revenues provided by the recently passed Peru-Bolivia Act will give us the ability to do all these great things. Running the government with 33% less revenue will not be possible.

Senator Rivera - Conservadores

Last edited:
"As you said dear Senator, we only receive 20% of the 75% tax because we lack the neccesary amount of Buecrats to collect the funds. This can not possibly create a revenue which will give us the neccesary funds to proceed with your plan. We must first invest in the Mining Buissniss, and take the neccesary loans so that we may produce enough venue, to improve the military and then construct factorys.

My industrialization plan is as follows;

1) First we must pass the Mining-Act in order to create enough revenue for ourselfves.
2) As Chile is rich with mountains and minerals, we shall build an Ammunitions Factory.
3) Next we shall construct a Steel Factory.
4) An Arms Factory requires mainly Ammunition and Steel - since we have both from our factories, then we will be able to construct our own weapons without importing any goods.

This way we will be sufficiently supplied with weapons, and the best of the kind. We will have a surplus of both weapons, steel, and ammunition, and all this we can sell to foreign countries for revenue. Arms are a high priced and valued goods, and with a factory we also will not have to pay the large sums of money to supply our armies.

Now when this is said; we will have to be carefull who we sell our weapons to. We will need to be carefull supplying nations like Peru and Bolivia, but we can without fear supply the Americans with weapons, or any European Power.

Furthermore I shall also adress the issue of the bueacrats, and I will push the government to expand it's administration throughout the farest corners of Chile. The citizens who enjoy the security and benefits of the state, must also contribute to it.

- Senator Romano.

¡Liberales! Quiero más Liberales.

José de Vallenare
Senator of Atacama

Born: José Coruna de Vallenare y Floréz in 1809 to an aristocratic family in Huasco, Atacama.
Alignment: Partido Tradicionale
Origins:
His father was a Royalist during the war of independence but since then has shunned politics to became the wealthy patron of small-holds and orchards around the family hometown. Having little regard for the plantations of their peers the Coruna de Vallenare family instead derive their wealth from control of the local iron industry. A monopoly on smelting in the province allows them to wield considerable economic influence for miles around. Certainly enough to buy a prodigal son a seat in the Senate and a nominal commission in the Atacama militia as a Major.
History:
José served on the Senate as an Independent but was drawn into the cause of the Partido Nacionale after the 1841 election.
He was staunchly anti-Zapedista during the failed 1846 Coup but did not serve any significant role as the fighting was finished before his region was mobilised.
Joined the Tradicionales during the schism of the Nacionales in 1855.
Appointed Foreign Minister to President Roseno after the 1856 election.
Supported the Emperor during the Imperial transition.
Appointed Admiral of the Imperial Armada by Prime Minister Disraeli.
Supported the Emperor during the Republicano treason.
Assisted in the escape of the Imperial family.
Attempted to surrender the Imperial government to the Republican Navy but was betrayed and sold to the Republicanos by the traitor Weissmuller as the price for his own freedom.
Convicted of unspecified treason by a military show trial and executed by the Republican Regime.

Policy: Jingoism/Moralism/Limited Citizenship/Interventionism/Free-Trade
He supports that which will preserve his family holdings and noble privilege, resulting in an economically opportunist, socially reactionary and hawkish political stance. Generally anti-liberal reform and will usually support a conservative or reactionary government.

Last edited:
((You people and your darn army...:())

As always, Senator Romano displays a sensibility and fiscal prudence those hawks are not willing to show.