• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May I ask, why do people in this congreso dislike the Industry encouragement act?

May I ask, why do people in this congreso dislike the Industry encouragement act?

I do not speak for the other Members of the Congresso, but I for one will not support a bill that proposes raising tariffs. I would whole-heartidly support dropping taxes, but can in no way support any form of tariffs.

-Christiano Ferarri

Emergency Resolution Initiative: Yes
Military Non-Partisan Act: Abstain
Industrial Encouragement Act: Yes

And thus spake Cassandra. Although I can derive little enjoyment from being correct, when the result has been disaster for Chile.

I said that before we could wage war in Argentina, we had to end the war that was raging in Chile. The army had to be united and strong, not divided. But the crisis continued unabated. The Chilean Army was partitioned by politics, the Army of the Republic symbolically cut in half. Appointments and counter-appointments were issued from La Moneda and the barracks. And so when our armies blundered into Argentina, it was in a state of chaos and confusion. Due to the ongoing crisis, and General Rios' refusal to speak to me, I could not even appoint the Supreme Commander of the Argentinian Theatre who I intended to guide the war effort. So while the politicians fought in the halls of Congreso, the soldiers died on the fields of Argentina.

According to the Marxista mythology, I am a dictator and a tyrant, narrowly thwarted from subverting the Republic by the brave intervention of the honourable General Rios. I was the villain, installing reactionary cronies into the army, and he the hero preserving its neutrality. But then see how our hero behaves when given the ability to appoint generals on his own accord. I have few qualms with the appointment of General Gonzalez, even if it was clearly politically motivated. He is a good man, who - his current bitterness notwithstanding - has served the Republic loyally in the past. But Remedio Hakkihäälenin? How could this appointment possibly be justified except on the basis of political allegiance? And then to place this neophyte at the head of an army larger than every other military force in existence, and leave him circling the capital like a shark? Santiago is cast under the shadow of 90,000 men - 'for its own protection', apparently. General Rios has placed the two largest armies in the hands of his allies, and then told us that it is the reactionaries who are plot against the Republic.

Nonetheless, I understand why there are concerns about my Initiative. There are fears that it will undermine the Chief of Staff position, or set a precedent. But I assure you, this is not the case. This is a single-instance solution, drafted in the aftermath of an extraordinary constitutional crisis. My criticism is not with the Chief of Staff Act; it is for this reason that I abstain on the Military Non-Partisan Act. The Chief of Staff position is not the problem - the incumbent is. General Rios has not cooperated in the name of the Republic but sowed discord for the sake of his party. He has failed to uphold the mandate that his office demands - consensus and impartiality. Therefore, if he will not accept the duty of Chief of Staff, then for one time and one time only, Congreso must do so.

The unilateral appointment of generals is patently illegal - even more so at the hands of the Chief of Staff. It is a grave violation of the Chief of Staff Act and an unprecedented display of power. My Initiative is no less unprecedented, but if passed, it will carry the blessing of Congreso - the men who made the original Act, and so the only men have the power to temporarily abridge it for the sake of constitutional harmony. If we are forced to decide between two unprecedented measures, then let it be the resolution based on democracy.

- President Charles Maximilien de Conti

I wish to inform the President that the Panama Canal Garrison is ready and able to intervene to defeat the Germanista uprising in the UPCA and awaits orders from him.

General Juan Rivera

Emergency Resolution Initiative: No. The duties of the governmental branches in military appointments needs reforming, but we set a dangerous precedent (...) if we give power over entirely to one man to determine the army against the intent of prior laws of Chile

You are contradicting yourself. You speak of limiting the president's power to determine the army against the laws of Chile, but you prefer to give that same power -the power of giving one man absolute control over the armies of the country- to the Chief of Staff. How is it that the CoS is any better than the elected President? Atleast the president would have to comply with congress.. but chief of staff Rios isn't taking orders from the President or the congress. You are practically handing over the country to a leftist madman.

Chilean goods must be dominant in the country of Chile. To suggest otherwise, as opponents of my Industry Encouragement Act have done, is ludicrous. They are reminiscent of Rivera's embarrassing and angering do-nothing Congreso. Fortunately, the majority of competent Chilean lawmakers have seen the obvious fact that no harm can be done by a minor tariff increase designed to make our industry flourish while making everything, including foreign goods, more affordable.

We are faced with the reality that there is no longer any place for Laissez Faire economic policies in this world. We cannot sit idly by as a Great Power and watch as our economy either rises or implodes by its own volatile shifts. We can ensure that our economy is only and always rising, so we must take the opportunity to do so!

I recognize now exactly what I feared previously: Rios has used his position as a political launch. He has promoted inexperienced, under qualified leftist Generals to posts that they ill deserve. I must urge fellow members of the Congreso to support both the Emergency Initiative and the Non-Partisan acts. However, there is some merit to Rios; he seems to understand the economic need for a tariff in conjunction with lowered taxes, and for that I salute him. Perhaps he is better suited to enter the field of politics than that of the military...

However, I digress. Again, I thank those who support my Industry Encouragement Act, and urge those who do not to reconsider. The Chief of Staff situation in Chile is aggravating, which is why I encourage votes for the aforementioned acts. However, we have bigger proverbial fish to fry, such as the administrative actions that we wish to take in Chaco and Jujuy. In the coming days, we must address this situation. I would offer up a third resolution, but I have two successful acts under my belt in this section alone. Additionally, we must focus on the acts under consideration before submitting further bills.

This is the state of Chilean legislature as I see it, and I hope that I am accurate in my portrayal of the current times.

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

You are contradicting yourself. You speak of limiting the president's power to determine the army against the laws of Chile, but you prefer to give that same power -the power of giving one man absolute control over the armies of the country- to the Chief of Staff. How is it that the CoS is any better than the elected President? Atleast the president would have to comply with congress.. but chief of staff Rios isn't taking orders from the President or the congress. You are practically handing over the country to a leftist madman.
The Chief of Staff only has control over some armies, Señor. There is a difference between some and all, and I would rather not hand the country over to mad or sane men of any political ideology. If segregation is necessary for that goal to be reached in the short run before a more thorough and judicious regulation of the military appointments can be made, then so be it.

Military Non-Partisan Act: No
This rise in Germanistaism across the globe is terrifying I love our Republic and I think it's laws and rules should always be abided by, but now we need to rally around our leader in these trying times.

Those individuals currently disenfrachised are:
Ferran Martí ((blindgoose)) - Agitator (until Primaries, 1901)
Martin Schmidt ((lordvagrant)) - 1896 Coup (until Conventions, 1901)
Daniel Jesus Roseno ((Red Cesar)) - 1894 Coup (until 1899)

Red Cesar, as you are still disenfranchised, I have discounted your vote.

Rogov is not disenfranchised because the Congreso voted to acquit, as you all may recall.

Emergency Resolution Initiative:
Yes: 9
No: 8
Abstain:

Military Non-Partisan Act:
Yes: 6
No: 5
Abstain: 5

Industrial Encouragement Act:
Yes: 12
No: 4
Abstain: 1

I changed my vote in the industrial encouragement act, from yes to no.

Free Trade has been demonstrated to be the way to go. We need no more discussion. It is the legacy of the liberales.

I urge the right to vote YES on the emergency resolution initiative. We need to defend our president from the ambitious leftist Rios.

I believe full heartily in the checks and balances of the COS and presidente, and wish this could have been solved diplomatically. However, the Presidente's appointments were already crafted with recognition from the COS, if one or two generals differ. I would rather the armies were in allegiance undivided with the government, than divided between two possible factions.

Hopefully this issue shall never again occur.

Emergency Resolution Initiative: No
Military Non-Partisan Act: No
Industrial Encouragement Act: No

Successfully appealed from prison on grounds of his advanced age and poor health, Dio Guerrero continued his political activities from his home in Arica.

I believe the honourable Admiral's opposition stems from a cruicial misunderstanding of the Initiative.

The Initiative does not empower the President to make appointments at will. All it does is implement the original army appointments that were drawn up at the beginning of my term. Any subsequent change in command would have to be carried out in the traditional manner, vis-à-vis the President and the Chief of Staff. This is a single-instance decision. If later in my term, I should choose to appoint new generals, I would require the consensus of the Chief of Staff to do so. It does not undermine the Chief of Staff or render him redundant. It merely resolves this current debate, which has crippled our military with factionalism.

I hope this clears things up for Admiral Alvarez, and shows that my intentions are not to concentrate power in my own hands but to resolve a constitutional crisis by congressional vote.

I believe the honourable Admiral's opposition stems from a cruicial misunderstanding of the Initiative.

The Initiative does not empower the President to make appointments at will. All it does is implement the original army appointments that were drawn up at the beginning of my term. Any subsequent change in command would have to be carried out in the traditional manner, vis-à-vis the President and the Chief of Staff. This is a single-instance decision. If later in my term, I should choose to appoint new generals, I would require the consensus of the Chief of Staff to do so. It does not undermine the Chief of Staff or render him redundant. It merely resolves this current debate, which has crippled our military with factionalism.

I hope this clears things up for Admiral Alvarez, and shows that my intentions are not to concentrate power in my own hands but to resolve a constitutional crisis by congressional vote.

In implementing the original President's plan for army appointments, the initiative still gives all appointments over to the will of the President - albeit a will already exercised. Without the duties of a Chief of Staff being fulfilled, there is no regulation of those appointments, and the Congress is not regulating it or checking the power of the executive simply by saying yes or no to the appointments in general. When legislators meet, they do not just debate bills as a whole, but must consider amendments and revisions so as to correct errors or bring about a compromise. I still stand against the initiative, and urge the senators to find a better path to resolving the problem without simply giving it up to the President.

Industrial Encouragement Act:No

Last edited:
We live in an environment that encourages and necessitates partisanship. Such is our reality, and so shall it remain for the foreseeable future. We have all made mistakes in our handling of the new Government; President de Conti, you convinced yourself that the leftists would accept their appointments to Generalship as great privileges, especially after they were utterly and completely destroyed in the elections. However, these men simply exercise their ill-gotten powers to try and subvert democracy by putting liberales in power when Conservadores won the election in a landslide.

General Rios, you have politicized the armed forces and made a sham of our system of elections. This cannot be forgiven, and will not be forgotten. In addition, you scheme behind the scenes and display your true allegiance to nothing and no one by going so far as to approach we Patriotas to support you in a leftist coup merely for our manpower.

Senators, we have not as yet recognized the true situation as I have described it. Now, we confuse ourselves with twisted morality complexes, claiming "checks and balances" are necessary when we consider a man who, on the eve of war, disrupted the entire armed forces! This incompetence and indecision is precisely why the Chief of Staff himself must be limited.

Realistically, we have but one option now. We must support both the Emergency Resolution Initiative and the Military Non-Partisan Act to right the wrongs that have been committed. President de Conti, you must follow the urgings of your supporters, who are universally conservative. The left wants a partisan Government, and so we should provide them with one by appointing Patriotas and Republicanos to positions of military and Ministry importance. This is the only way to avoid the gridlock and betrayal evidenced by Rios and his crony Generals and Admiral.

Enough talking has occurred. The time has come to right the wrongs and remedy the mistakes that have been committed. The time to crusade for the Government that Chile voted into power is upon us.

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo