• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 27: All In - December 23 - 31, 1939

On the initial attack on Gibraltar, the bombers found no fleet in port and switched over to an interdiction role.

19391223navalbombing-1.jpg

Franco was informed that our holdings in Bata were under attack. Franco was willing to give up the colony in West Africa.

To make up for some of the loss of US trades for resources, Franco swung deals with Finland and the USSR to get coal and rare materials.

19391223trades.jpg

By 6pm on the 23rd, British bombers could be seen flying south. Franco hoped that the fighters would be able to bloody the bombers before heading back.

19391223UKplanes.jpg

By Christmas, December 25, some of the British attackers were beginning to be beaten back by the interceptors.

At midnight on the 26th, Franco was informed that Bata was lost and the militia division stationed there would be captured. He mourned for the men but realized that in such times, good men would be lost.

19391226bataloss.jpg

The first battle of Gibraltar was lost on the 27th, but Franco ordered another attack with another 3 infantry divisions. The fresh divisions went to work against the fortress.

19391227gibraltarloss.jpg

19391227gibraltar2.jpg

The second attack begins

On December 28th, Italy offered to sell us some metal, which we graciously accepted.

On December 29th, the 6th infantry division took the port of Bayonne. They would push forward to Bordeaux to be the far left of a holding line that would wait until Germany decided to attack France.

19391229bayonne.jpg

19391229france.jpg
Orders for I and II Corps in France

Once again, Franco was informed of another loss on Gibraltar, this time, the attack faltered after only 2 days. Losses were heavy, but Franco had to take Gibraltar at any costs. The British had stopped their bombings, and the Spanish bombers, spent as they were, continued their attacks on the British Garrison.

19391229lossgibraltar2.jpg

19391229gibraltar3.jpg

The third assault on Gibraltar begins

On the 30th, the interceptors found a fleet off the coast of Cadiz, but was engaged by interceptors and heavily damaged.

19391230coastofcadizair.jpg

On the 31st, there was an uprising at Hatvan in Hungary. The Cavalry division in the Balkans was sent to handle it.

19391231uprising.jpg

Once again, a battle of Gibraltar was lost.

19391231lossgibraltar3.jpg

Now, in the first 8 days of the attack, the Spanish troops were not up to the task, and were completely spent. They would have to recover their organization before trying again. With the loss of convoys in the Mediterranean, our fleet was sent to Yugoslavia to hunt submarines. An even worse fate had happened.... the Gibraltar garrison had turned around and attacked our troops. Franco was not sure what to do. He did not have the strength to attack Gibraltar again, but did not have the troops to defend.

Always darkest just before the dawn.

The enemy commander Bowhill reminds me of Dr. Evil.

Always darkest just before the dawn.

The enemy commander Bowhill reminds me of Dr. Evil.

How do we know he isn't?

It might have been where he learnt how to defend an island. Franco should allow the brits to come out and then surround them to lessen the defenders on the island. Trick will be to make sure the British dont send more to make it a massive pocket :p

That was harsh. Even with your 3-3 infantry divisions you couldnt do much. You have lost almost an entire division at Gibralter already and another brigade in Africa. Not good with your low manpower.

Its going well in France. Looking forward to seeing your recovery in Southern Spain.

Franco really should allow the British to advance into Spain, then split them up and reduce the number of divisions they have out there. Just try to keep them from taking ports, so their supplies have to go through Gibraltar. You should also consider letting your air force rest for a while so they can regain org and strength and be ready when you need them.

The Brits are resisting fiercely. The French... not so much.

It'd be gamey to lure the British garrison out of Gibraltar into the interior of Spain, but I don't know if any other approach will work (at least for a very long time). Spanish troops are dying in frightening numbers, considering your overall manpower base.

Don't think it'd be gamey, as I would assume that the British indeed would attack in such circumstances. The AI already is attacking him, he's just retreating a little earlier than he would if he was waiting for his troops to lose the battles.

May be the Spanish navy could send out a few of their old ships to raid convoys? While this in itself may not be decisive, together with the German anti shipping efforts, it may prove enough to create a serious shortage of covoys for the British.

Last edited:
Good start in France and unfortunate news in Gibralter. Remember that the british forces consist of only Garrisons thus are probably not capable of strong break out, this means you can bide your time. Maybe hold the front until France is sorted. Or perhaps redieploy various North African soldiers. Main point is that these soldiers need not die in such large numbers.

I would not say it is gamey because if the British forces had a large enough force on the border of Spain at war with their ally, I believe that they would automatically attck to take the pressure off their ally.

Also he will have to be careful even though i advocate letting them run up the portugese border away from the rock since I have seen Britain totally take over Spain very quickly from just Gibraltar before

Last edited:
Chapter 28: A New Year, A New Problem - January 1 - 15, 1940

Fortunately, the troops at Montellano had enough strength to force the Brits to call off their attack early on the first day of the new year. However, Algeciras was lost.

19400101montellano.jpg

Franco moved his troops back, confident that they would arrive at safety before the British garrison could take the province. Because of the slow moving garrison divisions, Franco would remove one division from North Africa, and redeploy the armoured division from France. If the British took the province of Algeciras, he would attack them there, hopefully “thinning the herd.”

19400102south.jpg

Note: The British were forced to attack again before a full retreat was ordered

On the 5th, Franco had to dispatch his cavalry division to deal with a Bulgarian uprising. Also on the 5th, the Spanish troops met the French in combat for the first time at Bordeaux, while things didn’t look good at first for the attackers, more troops would be in the sector soon.

19400105bordeaux.jpg

On the 8th, Franco decided to put all available minds into training officers. He realized that this would help our troops regain their organization faster and fight longer and more effectively.

19400108leadership.jpg

It also appeared as if the British were not going to take the bait and chase our troops away from Gibraltar. Instead, they made the smart decision to remain inside the fortress of Gibraltar.

19400108gibraltar.jpg

On the 9th, the British invaded and took the undefended port of Malaga as well as other neighbouring provinces. This revealed a major oversight in Franco's planning. By joining the war at the end of December to avoid any more souring of his relationship with Germany, Franco had to leave the Mediterranean ports undefended. The British had noticed and were taking advantage of the situation with their invasion.

19400109britishlanding.jpg

In addition to landing their troops unopposed, the British began attacking Estepona from two directions now, from the east, as well as from Gibraltar.

19400109Estepona.jpg

By the 11th, the defenders of Estepona were holding on, but the British were expanding their beachhead. Franco had ordered an attack on Gibraltar from Montellano in order to relieve some of the pressure on Estepona.

19400111situation1500hrs.jpg

On the 12th, the British exhausted their assault on Estepona with the defenders proving superior, turning the tables on the attackers. While Franco had expended thousands of lives at Gibraltar, the British attackers were expending similarly high numbers in attempting to break though Estepona.

19400112estepona.jpg

By January 14, the British foothold had expanded once again, and things were not looking good for the Spanish defenders.

19400114situation.jpg

On the 15th, another assault on Estepona had been won by the Spanish, but that did not prevent the British from attacking yet again.

19400115estepona.jpg
19400115newattackestepona.jpg

Possibly the greatest challenge the Spanish might face in this game...

Normally, I might advise to let the British in and run themselves out of supply, but that advice is less helpful when you actually *are* Spain and not just holding that territory as an overlord.

I've forgotten what the status of Italy is in this game, but you might have better results assigning objectives to them. I doubt the Germans can do much until they link up with you somehow in France.

Possibly the greatest challenge the Spanish might face in this game...

Normally, I might advise to let the British in and run themselves out of supply, but that advice is less helpful when you actually *are* Spain and not just holding that territory as an overlord.

I've forgotten what the status of Italy is in this game, but you might have better results assigning objectives to them. I doubt the Germans can do much until they link up with you somehow in France.

Yep.. things don't look so great! I've already assigned objectives to Germany and Italy (although I need to check in the game to make sure). I think only the German flag shows up despite how many countries I've added to the objectives.

Yep.. things don't look so great! I've already assigned objectives to Germany and Italy (although I need to check in the game to make sure). I think only the German flag shows up despite how many countries I've added to the objectives.

With a bit of luck you have drawn the entire UK army against you, so the Germans will find it easy in France! always look at the positive things.

With a bit of luck you have drawn the entire UK army against you, so the Germans will find it easy in France! always look at the positive things.

Haha. I have thought of that. France doesn't seem too worried. I haven't seen any divisions heading down to my border coming either from the German border (eqqman wrote that they're in different theatres, so they won't get transfered) or from the Italian border. IF I can eliminate the British invasion (particularly by holding Estepona and not letting them link up to Gibraltar), the UK will be quite weakened and will not have much of an expeditionary force in France/the Low Countries. If only the Germans would attack them and give them a distraction from Spain!

Its getting really interesting. The good thing for you is that your divisions are defending quite well.

Notice the score on the British Infantry Division (2nd) 4-4 and the (42nd) 4-3. I wonder what their armour division is rated.

I believe the 42nd Inf. is 3-4. Not sure about their armour. Yes, the investment in techs have paid off, but they're still behind the majors.

The brits are launching a good offensive here , so it's up to you to prove you're a member of the axis or just a minor nation :D

Wow. The trick now will be to finish off one of the two threats (Malaga offensive or Gibraltar) and then the other should be simple. The British have played their full hand though...I hope.

Yes, the UK pretty much only ever makes one good attempt at an invasion, so if they lose here, they will be doing little else except waiting for you in London.

Yes, the UK pretty much only ever makes one good attempt at an invasion, so if they lose here, they will be doing little else except waiting for you in London.

Wow. The trick now will be to finish off one of the two threats (malaga offensive or gibralter) and then the other should be simple. The British have played their full hand though...I hope.

The brits are launching a good offensive here , so it's up to you to prove you're a member of the axis or just a minor nation :D

Well, I've played up to January 31st, and I think you'll find the next update interesting. I've been having internet problems at home, and all my HOI3 stuff (screenshots, notes) are on my desktop computer. I'm hoping the issues are resolved by Tuesday at the latest and I can post the next chapter by then!