• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank all my loyal readers! i'm going to be traveling a lot over the next couple of weeks and updates will be on hold for a while. Once I'm settled in my new place in Germany, I'll be back at it. I have the save game transferred to my lap top (and I'm hoping it works . . . I haven't had troubles with other save games that I've transferred from computer to computer).

Thanks again, and Franco will see the light of day soon!

Happy travels! We'll see you once you're settle (let's hope things go smoothly, so that you can be back to posting sooner rather than later).

The situation in Spain - well, you've taken Gibraltar, which is great, but the British sure are creating a major nuisance for you. And now they have two ports to pull supply through... Troubling. Good luck dealing with it.

Leaving at such a critical time during the campaign. :glare:

I really hope you can pick it back up later. :)

Yeah, I should be able to. i tested out the save game and it works fine, so i'll just need a week or so for things to settle down then i'll be back to playing.

Happy travels! We'll see you once you're settle (let's hope things go smoothly, so that you can be back to posting sooner rather than later).

The situation in Spain - well, you've taken Gibraltar, which is great, but the British sure are creating a major nuisance for you. And now they have two ports to pull supply through... Troubling. Good luck dealing with it.
Um... thanks.....

In case I didn't make it clear, it was intended as a supportive comment. :) I have kicked my anti-Franquist tendencies. ;)

Good to hear!

Chapter 31: The Squeezer and the Squeezee - February 15 - March 1

On the 15th of February, the situation in France was stable, , but the line had some holes in it, due to sending the two mountain divisions back to southern Spain to help contain the British. The French still had not responded to our incursion into their territory. In North Africa, Spain had captured Oran, and were slowly pushing eastwards.

19400215overview.jpg

In Southern Spain, troops were pushing westwards to the port of Malaga, while others were pushing east towards Marbella. the 23rd infantry division was pushing towards Seville, and now, only Cadiz would need to be retaken. However, until Malaga could be secured (as well as the spreading threat of the British troops be contained), Cadiz could be a problem. The 5th infantry division was ordered to Cordoba to hopefully squeeze the British supply lines and cut off those troops on the eastern half of the invasion force.

On February 16th, two battles were lost, at Logrosan and Agudo. But in fact, these were the two battles that our armoured division was involved in. At 2000 hours, Seville had been retaken. This would help our industry once again, and give our aircraft airfields from which to fly.

On the 17th, our Garrison division from Tanger was ordered to board transports to Gibraltar to hold in order to free up another stronger division for offensive and defensive efforts elsewhere.

19400217garrisondivtocadiz.jpg

On the 21st of February, the first attempt to take on the British armour was undertaken by three divisions that had moved into position surrounding Linares. This attack would serve to weaken the British incursion and beat down their armour allowing the Spanish infantry to close gaps in the line.

19400221linares.jpg

The rest of the month continued with more of the same. The British were threatening south and east of Cadiz, but Spanish troops were holding out as long as they could. A long strip connecting the British fronts was constantly under threat, from Seville in the north, to Gibraltar in the south, but again, the Spanish troops were holding.

19400301SouthSpain.jpg

By March 1, the troops had closed up a main line of advance of about four provinces closing in on the port of Malaga, while troops defended an "L" shaped area that stretched from Seville to Gibraltar. The rest of the situation was quite stable, with the French not responding to the holes in our battle line at all.

19400301France.jpg

With the weather improving, and the promise of a German offensive in the spring, Franco's hopes for kicking the British out of Spain were improving.

19400301overview.jpg

I wonder if you should risk advancing into France to lure their troops away from the German French border. If you manage to get the French attention, they might weaken the Maginot line enough to have the Germans attack and break it. It'd mean that you would have to retreat as soon as you see French forces streaming your way, but it would also mean that you could bottle up in the Pyrenaes and watch the Germans rolling through France.

I wonder if you should risk advancing into France to lure their troops away from the German French border.

A somewhat safer way to do that is to stay away from France's northern theatre. Franco could dispatch a couple of divisions to make a line of occupied territory connecting up to Switzerland. This will cause the southern French theatre to react by shuffling its troops facing Italy which might give the Italians a hole they can move into. The exact same principle as going north to do this for the Germans, but there are less French divisions to the south that could cause harm to Spanish troops.

And welcome back Franco!

Hopefully the Germans will attack France soon, or else you might have to deal with a two-front war.

Good to see you back!

Thanks! Hello to all the loyal readers from Berlin! Apparently, the rain we've been getting all day will be turning into snow overnight for the first snow of the year. Been here for about 2 1/2 weeks now. As you can see, the updates will probably not be as screenshot intensive as they were before because I have a lot to do here! But I am interested to see how this game turns out (as said before, I'm not playing ahead, and I have not played beyond March 1).

As long as the French stay put, things are looking pretty good. It seems the British invasion is running out of steam.

Well, the push they're making south is not all so pleasant for my forces, and they have taken a lot of territory (but thankfully I've been able to get Seville back), so let's hope these are the death throes for the British in Spain. If the weather improves, my fresher forces coming from the east will be able to move faster and relieve the pocket quicker.

I wonder if you should risk advancing into France to lure their troops away from the German French border. If you manage to get the French attention, they might weaken the Maginot line enough to have the Germans attack and break it. It'd mean that you would have to retreat as soon as you see French forces streaming your way, but it would also mean that you could bottle up in the Pyrenaes and watch the Germans rolling through France.

As eqqman has said before, because North and South France are in different theatres, they'll only respond to a threat in the southern theatre by diverting troops from the same one. However, screw them! They haven't helped me at all, so I'll let them do their own attacking!

A somewhat safer way to do that is to stay away from France's northern theatre. Franco could dispatch a couple of divisions to make a line of occupied territory connecting up to Switzerland. This will cause the southern French theatre to react by shuffling its troops facing Italy which might give the Italians a hole they can move into. The exact same principle as going north to do this for the Germans, but there are less French divisions to the south that could cause harm to Spanish troops.

And welcome back Franco!

It's good to be back.

It's nice to see this one back , and it is weird from the french AI to keep its units on the italian border rather than dealing with your invasion ...

It's nice to see this one back , and it is weird from the french AI to keep its units on the italian border rather than dealing with your invasion ...

Yes it is... when i get around to playing the next couple of weeks in the game, I'll see if I can find out how high our threat against France is related to Italy's....

As eqqman has said before, because North and South France are in different theatres, they'll only respond to a threat in the southern theatre by diverting troops from the same one. However, screw them! They haven't helped me at all, so I'll let them do their own attacking!

Point being that the faster the Germans knock out France, the faster you could get help from them. Furthermore, is Italy at war with France already? Generally they only join the fray shortly before France is beaten anyway.

Point being that the faster the Germans knock out France, the faster you could get help from them. Furthermore, is Italy at war with France already? Generally they only join the fray shortly before France is beaten anyway.

Yes, but when you see my next update (by the end of the week for sure), you'll see that I'm not really going to need their help :p

best spanish AAR i've ever read, keep it going ;)

Thank you! And Welcome!

Good to see you back. :)

The British positions now look very tenuous along the coast but are they creeping to close to Madrid?

They're moving towards Madrid.... it doesn't please me!

Chapter 32: The Threat Abates - March 1 - 31, 1940

For Franco's hopes to defeat the British in Southern Spain, the month of March would prove to be decisive in one way or another. The British continue to take more and more Spanish territory, but positive news comes from the very south - the ports.

The few divisions in the east (where Madrid was becoming more and more threatened) were occasionally holding, but unable to completely fight off the more powerful British divisions. The Spanish troops in Seville and at the top of the reverse "L" were under constant attack. A disappointment in Montellano ended the hopes of breaking out of Gibraltar, and on March 4, Seville was lost again.

19400304Battles.jpg

However, 2 battles in the east were won on the 4th - at Alfa and Alcala.

The troops that had taken Malaga were now attacking Anteguera, thus starting to close in the south-east part of the British bubble. The 24th infantry division was attacking in the mountains of Campillos but the attack was not looking promising against the defending British. In Ronda, the Spanish were defending well against a British attack, and the troops attacking Montellano again were slowly grinding down the British defenders.

Late on the 6th, the battles of Montellano and Anteguera were won, despite heavier casualties on our side.

19400306battleswon.jpg

On the 7th, Spanish troops were attacked at Algeciras and the battle of Ronda was won.

By the 9th, Algeciras had been won, but Campillos had been lost. The British launched another ill-fated attack at Alcala, and another one on Alfa.

19400309battles.jpg

On March 11, The chief himself, Franco, decided to begin the counteroffensive towards Cadiz and Jerez de la Frontera in order to retake the port, and push towards the major industrial centre in Seville. On the south-eastern part of the front, Spanish troops were retaking Antequera and defending in Monturo, but otherwise consolidating the south and eastern part of the line.

19400311attacksoncoast.jpg

On March 12, Franco looked at his manpower situation and decided to begin the training of two more infantry divisions of 3 Inf and 1 art. While he hoped that the British would be expunged from spain by the time they were ready, It would be good to have another two infantry divisions for use perhaps against France, or against other enemies.

19400312infprod.jpg

By the middle of the month, Spanish forces were on their way into Jerez de la Frontera and Cadiz. the British had lost their ports and would now face the spectre of running out of supplies within a month.

19400315.jpg

By the 20th, Franco had launched offensives in Seville and the neighbouring provinces. pushing the British inland was the new goal. Things were not all positive though, as the British continued to gain ground in the poorly defended north east. Franco was hoping that he would be able to get troops into position to defend, just as the British offensive would run out of gas (and other supplies).

19400320seville.jpg

Attacks on March 20
19400322seville.jpg

Attacks on March 22

As the month dragged on, the battle lines in the South kept moving to the north, with the Spanish troops slowly but surely taking territory back from the British. More battles were won by Spain than by England, and it appeared that the British had lost their momentum and were retreating, but they would have no port to which to retreat.

19400325battles.jpg

On the 25th, Seville was finally won again, and Spanish industry would be thankful for it!

19400325seville.jpg

On March 28th, with IC from the reconquest of Seville available, and manpower at only 12, Franco decided to license Naval bombers from japan.

19400328prodlicjap.jpg

At the end of March, the only real threat from Britain was in the north-west, as their units were approaching Madrid. Franco had sent a few divisions to defend the capital from even temporary conquest. Franco's generals estimated that the British would only have enough supply for another 15 days or so, and then would be able to be easily mopped up and would surrender.

19400401overview.jpg

Franco could look forward to the end of these battles with the British before Summer, and he would prepare for his next move by summer's end.