• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, warscore from battles is capped. And yes, it's very visible when you are beating on China.

Boy, when they said quick answers, they weren't kidding.

That's a bit of a bummer! And here was me thinking I'd figured out an easy way to beat China.

Another question: In the same war, my navy far outclasses both China's and the USA's, but I don't think I've got the range to blockade the USA's ports. I figured I'd be able to stop them landing in Japan by positioning my fleets around my coast, but the USA still managed to land an army near Edo, because their fleet survived battle long enough to unload their troops. Is there any way of getting around this?

Boy, when they said quick answers, they weren't kidding.

That's a bit of a bummer! And here was me thinking I'd figured out an easy way to beat China.

Another question: In the same war, my navy far outclasses both China's and the USA's, but I don't think I've got the range to blockade the USA's ports. I figured I'd be able to stop them landing in Japan by positioning my fleets around my coast, but the USA still managed to land an army near Edo, because their fleet survived battle long enough to unload their troops. Is there any way of getting around this?
Setting them one square further out, perhaps. Are they able to land alot of land troops though? They tend to have to do shuttle services at a very slow pace.

How many people play the game without a mod VS play the game with the most popular mod(s)?

Three quick questions:
- If you disband a unit of let's say us.. Irregulars. Will those men who were disbanded there instantly get available for a new unit? Let's say a dragoon?
- Is there any problem with using only one type of soldier unit? Let's say only dragoons?
- I produce a lot of fuel due to my factories, but it seems I can't get none of it to go to making armors/dreadnoughts (can't remember which needs fuel), any tips on getting this? I have like 2 available for my country, and I make around 7.
Think this drowned on the other page, would apriciate answers!

Three quick questions:
- If you disband a unit of let's say us.. Irregulars. Will those men who were disbanded there instantly get available for a new unit? Let's say a dragoon?
Yes, as long as your pop supports the disbanded unit. i.e A unit which shows up as red when you click it will not be able to constructed as something else.

- Is there any problem with using only one type of soldier unit? Let's say only dragoons?
All the units have their own stats, seems most people have stacks made up of Inf, Cav and Arti, and perhaps some purely high reckon units for occupation of enemy land. But in combat, you'll be best served by having a variety of units. Infantry will fill up your front line, and your arti should be on the second line, blasting your enemies away. Left alone for example, your arti will have nothing protecting them. Cavalry units might be ok for rebel hunting or chasing down small, devastated retreating armies.

- I produce a lot of fuel due to my factories, but it seems I can't get none of it to go to making armors/dreadnoughts (can't remember which needs fuel), any tips on getting this? I have like 2 available for my country, and I make around 7.
It's for dreadnoughts, not sure what is going on there.

Last edited:
Alright thanks a lot!
But now I kinda sit here with a big "WTF" feeling, cause I ran the game. THen out of nowhere AVG says that the Victoria.exe is a malware, and I checked the files and all (I did printscreen but forgot to save before restarting.. silly me. Also I removed the two files from the vault).
it said it was a really high danger level aswell, but I'm just not sure what happened. Did some virus files sneak into the .exe? Or have anyone experienced something similar? I'm really confused and slightly worried now.

Now I can't run it since the .exe got deleted and Steam doesn't download it.

Three quick questions:

If the Province can still support a unit based on soldier pops (the unit isn't yellow or red) then as soon as they computer processes that the province isn't supporting a unit then you can start to build again. This will happen after a day passes or you can get it to happen while paused if you click through some of screens in the Military section.

Yes, units like dragoons don't deal a lot of damage, artillery takes a lot of damage, without units with high recon it takes longer to occupy a territory and it is harder to deal with dug in units. You do want to create stacks as individual units get crushed easy. Stacks will get larger as technology increases supply limit.

A "battlefield" in Victoria 2 has width and depth. The depth is ALWAYS 2 and the width is variable. Width varies based on techs and terrain. Techs reduce combat width. The "Front line" (depth 1) is where the damage is being dealt and the second row (depth 2) is for units with a support value. Artillery has a support value of 100% meaning it does 100% of its damage "over" your front line to the enemy's front line. Infantry and cavalry don't have a support value so they only attack if on the front line. Infantry will attack the unit directly in front of them if they exist, if they have no unit in front they can attack diagonally. Cavalry basically act like infantry except that they can always attack diagonally.

Cavalry's ability to attack diagonally isn't really why I include them in armies. I include them for their recon value. Recon does two things. First it reduces the "Dig-in" value of the enemy (ie you look for weak points). The second and in my opinion the most important is it reduces occupation time.

Late game units (Barrels and Airplanes):

These are not like any other units in the game. They show up in the artillery category but are really nothing like artillery, they confuse a lot of people and are expensive so some don't even build them.

Airplanes:
They have a support value of 50% which means they do 1/2 damage from the second line. Their ability to deal damage is NOT why you put airplanes in an army in Victoria 2. Remember these are not the airplanes of WWII these are canvas and wood bi-planes. The have a HUGE recon value this will massively speed up occupation (to help counteract level 6 forts) as well as massive dig-in values (trenches).

Barrels (Tanks):
These are artillery with no support value so they fight on the front line. They have a large attack value but they are one of only two units with a discipline value other than 1. (Irregulars have 2/3 vs 1) Barrels have a discipline value of 1.5. Discipline reduces the amount of organization damage a unit takes. Most battles end when the other side reaches 0 org vs loosing all of its troops.

As for ratios in an army you will see many opinions as to the best ratio. Usually it is two cavalry units then a nearly equal amount of infantry and artillery favoring infantry slightly: I use 2 cavalry + artillery + infantry where (Infantry = artillery + 2). Late game I basically switch cavalry for airplanes (they aren't really a strait swap). Then I create small tank only armies as spearheads.

This has a lot to do with your prestige rank and whether your are in someone's Sphere of Influence. Fuel is a very important commodity late game and if you are not a Great Power you probably don't get to buy any. In fact even if you are a GP you probably only get to buy fuel from your own common market. Your stuff + your SoI. If you are in a GP's SoI they are likely really happy you are producing fuel to run their armies for them. They are paying you for it, but your government doesn't get first crack at it. You may not even get second crack at it if there is another country in the SoI with higher prestige.

How many people play the game without a mod VS play the game with the most popular mod(s)?

The overwhelming majority of players play unmodded (which is true of more or less every PC game); it's usually estimated to be about 10% play mods and 90% play vanilla.

Is that because they prefer unmodded games or that they are unaware of the mods to begin with?

Lack of awareness, lack of interest etc. Many players are happy to buy a game, play it for a month and then never look at it again, which means they don't really need mods; they're sick of looking at a map and any number of cool new mechanics isn't going to change the fact that this is a map game. Hell, I AM a modder, and yet I don't even know whether mods have been made for the vast majority of the games I own.

Alright thanks a lot!
But now I kinda sit here with a big "WTF" feeling, cause I ran the game. THen out of nowhere AVG says that the Victoria.exe is a malware, and I checked the files and all (I did printscreen but forgot to save before restarting.. silly me. Also I removed the two files from the vault).
it said it was a really high danger level aswell, but I'm just not sure what happened. Did some virus files sneak into the .exe? Or have anyone experienced something similar? I'm really confused and slightly worried now.

Now I can't run it since the .exe got deleted and Steam doesn't download it.

A little more information:
At first it was two TEMP files that seemed to be in Appdata or somewhere similar that were quarantined, I took a screenie but forgot to save, removed them from quarintine, and then restarted the PC.
Now I only had the Victoria.exe in the Virus Vault, I removed it after I uninstalled, then reinstalled the game.
It worked now, but here's the message again (It popped up after the reinstall, and all)
14c72vl.jpg

Oh and AlbTroll, thanks a lot! Really in depth answer. Have a great one

Last edited:
At first it was two TEMP files that seemed to be in Appdata or somewhere similar that were quarantined, I took a screenie but forgot to save, removed them from quarintine, and then restarted the PC.
Now I only had the Victoria.exe in the Virus Vault, I removed it after I uninstalled, then reinstalled the game.
It worked now, but here's the message again (It popped up after the reinstall, and all)
14c72vl.jpg

Oh and AlbTroll, thanks a lot! Really in depth answer. Have a great one

Perhaps stick it in the Tech support forum

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?545-Victoria-2-Tech-Support

You may upload the file here:
https://www.virustotal.com/
That website checks the file with a bunch of scanners at once.
--
For me that message looks like a false positive (Name: "Unknown" - that hints to heuristic, which could be anything from a bad programmed piece of software to a new threat.

Thanks, but was hoping for something better. It's too much of an immersion breaker to load as my enemy and check this. Would be ok if there was some kind of secret deal about access in case of war, but since there is a notification when it is agreed it feels like this info should be available somewhere.