• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes but not much and not often and I'm not 100% sure that it wasn't there all along and I just never noticed it. It certainly never uses it to any effect.

Shoot - I hate when features are included that the AI can't use...it doesn't seem cricket to use it myself now; it did seem a cheesy way to gain IND points anyways. It would make for some new strategic choices in terms of tech if it were being used actively as an influence weapon.

So you can't colonize unless you're a GP or 2P. What happens when a nation with colonies drops below 2P status? Does it keep it's colonies or are they set free to be recolonized by someone else???

01. If you have colonial "regions" / states you possess they stay yours. They aren't released.
02. If you are actively in the process of colonizing a region / state and you drop from #16 to #17+ you stop colonizing and lose all your progress.

Portugal, early game, is probably where you might see #2 happen the most. When I play Portugal I wait until I fight Oman and Humiliate them for the Prestige. This bumps me to #12 or so giving me some cushion to get started colonizing. The prestige from colonizing should keep you climbing / secure for awhile.

01. If you have colonial "regions" / states you possess they stay yours. They aren't released.
02. If you are actively in the process of colonizing a region / state and you drop from #16 to #17+ you stop colonizing and lose all your progress.

Portugal, early game, is probably where you might see #2 happen the most. When I play Portugal I wait until I fight Oman and Humiliate them for the Prestige. This bumps me to #12 or so giving me some cushion to get started colonizing. The prestige from colonizing should keep you climbing / secure for awhile.

Thanks - I was curious about that while giving Portugal a little test drive before going out dancing last night.

1. What do you do with red & yellow troops? I use them if I'm in a war, but then delete them after the war so that fresh new troops can be recruited that will reinforce at 100%. About red troops: Some of my newest troops -- armor that are only 1-2 years old -- show up red & yellow. Do they ever go back to normal (yeah, I know it depends on the supporting pops), or is deleting them the sensible thing to do?
I might be wrong but I think it has to do with your national stockpile and the amount of supplies your troops receive. I boosted the national stockpile, which made my troops green since it bought in all the supplies the troops needed. And possibly organization

In the beginning, the Portuguese colony that includes the Azores is about ready to become a state. Give it a NF for bureaucrats for a couple of months and you can then make it a state & get 10 prestige points, which is quicker & easier than fighting Oman + gives you a bigger prestige cushion so that you can colonize the rest of Mozambique & Sena.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Cliff Barney1. What do you do with red & yellow troops? I use them if I'm in a war, but then delete them after the war so that fresh new troops can be recruited that will reinforce at 100%. About red troops: Some of my newest troops -- armor that are only 1-2 years old -- show up red & yellow. Do they ever go back to normal (yeah, I know it depends on the supporting pops), or is deleting them the sensible thing to do?

I might be wrong but I think it has to do with your national stockpile and the amount of supplies your troops receive. I boosted the national stockpile, which made my troops green since it bought in all the supplies the troops needed. And possibly organization

Maxing out the national stockpile slider will increase your troops' strength to 100%, but has no affect on whether they are Red (supporting pop cannot support the brigade) or Yellow (supporting pop cannot fully support all brigades it has raised, but can still reinforce at a reduced rate).

Shoot - I hate when features are included that the AI can't use...it doesn't seem cricket to use it myself now; it did seem a cheesy way to gain IND points anyways. It would make for some new strategic choices in terms of tech if it were being used actively as an influence weapon.

If you start fighting for SoI with a GP over a secondary power, like France for Italy, I saw them invest several 100k's as I was building up their railroads and factories as well. Had to pull them into a war against each other to win finally. So it does get used properly, from my experience..but could probably be improved.

If you start fighting for SoI with a GP over a secondary power, like France for Italy, I saw them invest several 100k's as I was building up their railroads and factories as well. Had to pull them into a war against each other to win finally. So it does get used properly, from my experience..but could probably be improved.

Good to know...most of my experience has been with Russia seeing Persia and Egypt becoming uncontested once I lay down some rail.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Cliff Barney1. What do you do with red & yellow troops? I use them if I'm in a war, but then delete them after the war so that fresh new troops can be recruited that will reinforce at 100%. About red troops: Some of my newest troops -- armor that are only 1-2 years old -- show up red & yellow. Do they ever go back to normal (yeah, I know it depends on the supporting pops), or is deleting them the sensible thing to do?

Maxing out the national stockpile slider will increase your troops' strength to 100%, but has no affect on whether they are Red (supporting pop cannot support the brigade) or Yellow (supporting pop cannot fully support all brigades it has raised, but can still reinforce at a reduced rate).

Ah, thanks I was kinda uncertain about this.

Any good tips on how to get a colonial province to a state fast? I've tried all the tax reductions to encourage bereaucrats, encourage immigration and then encourage bereaucrats but it is still very slow. Is there any tips on how to make this go much faster? Or do I have to wait for many years?

EDIT: I am kinda uncertain about the tax stuff when it comes to encouraging bereaucrats as well, so if anyone has any solid tactics, then much appriciated!

Last edited:
What exactly is the effect of winning a "Make Puppet" war. I won one expecting it to sphere the target and maybe some other stuff similar to vassalization in EU, but I couldn't see any change after I won besides a crash of scores on the target nation (Austria).

Any good tips on how to get a colonial province to a state fast? I've tried all the tax reductions to encourage bereaucrats, encourage immigration and then encourage bereaucrats but it is still very slow. Is there any tips on how to make this go much faster? Or do I have to wait for many years?

EDIT: I am kinda uncertain about the tax stuff when it comes to encouraging bereaucrats as well, so if anyone has any solid tactics, then much appriciated!
Tax policy can be tricky; sometimes to get bureaucrats it pays to tax the middle class hard to get them to devolve into bureaucrats. If you are looking to promote (and it will be slowed by lack of accepted-culture bureaucrats and even more by non-accepted ones) keep POP income so that they get life and everyday needs but not too much luxury or they will be happy as they are or perhaps promote to aristocrats instead.

Tax policy can be tricky; sometimes to get bureaucrats it pays to tax the middle class hard to get them to devolve into bureaucrats. If you are looking to promote (and it will be slowed by lack of accepted-culture bureaucrats and even more by non-accepted ones) keep POP income so that they get life and everyday needs but not too much luxury or they will be happy as they are or perhaps promote to aristocrats instead.

Excactly how does taxing the middle class hard make them turn into bereaucrats? I'm just curious. And should I have any specific tax-regime applied to my lower- and upper classes?

So I should go easy on the lower class, tax the middle class hard?
Also, would it help if I encouraged bereaucrats in my "civilized" part, or in other words my own nation, and then enouraged immigration to the colonial province?
And should I change anything with my administration?
Also is there anyway to change accepted cultures? I guess this would help tremendously.

Thanks for all the help so far

So I should go easy on the lower class, tax the middle class hard?
Also, would it help if I encouraged bereaucrats in my "civilized" part, or in other words my own nation, and then enouraged immigration to the colonial province?
And should I change anything with my administration?
Also is there anyway to change accepted cultures? I guess this would help tremendously.

Thanks for all the help so far

You are welcome...it really depends on the country you are playing and possibly whether you are playing AHD (I jumped right into the expansion, so I don't remember the "old days"). Since I play Russia a lot I tend to go with a "high tax" policy to keep CON down and simply make sure my poor POPs are getting life and everyday needs. What is all the fuss about turning colonies into states, anyways...the LIT will be so low that it will be a long time before they become worthwhile for factories, if ever.

I'm playing Oldenburg so it's really important for my industrial inscrease.. ATM I can only build factories in 1 single region, so I need more regions to build factories in.
My lack of factories is the only thing holding me back in terms of global rank.
Well thanks for the help, if you got any more tips I'll gladly listen.