+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Meet the Sword of the Stars 2 team: Chris Stewart

Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars II

Meet the Sword of the Stars 2 team: Chris Stewart

Name and job title!
    Chris Stewart! Producer (who sometimes designs)! Why are we yelling?!

What does a Producer do?
    It varies from company to company, but in general a producer keeps an eye on how the project is coming together, watching all the various important dates on the calendar, liaising with publishers, and, in a sentence, doing whatever the team needs to help keep them on task and moving forward. Order in dinner, pick up office supplies, make coffee, pay the water dude, crack a few jokes, help someone move, wash dishes, write a LOT of emails, maintain our various web and PR assets (y'know, like these Q&As), answer interview questions, make sure the team answers interview questions, crack a few more jokes, and even, once, unplug a toilet.

I’m betting EA producers don’t unplug toilets. Squeamish types maybe…

And when all that is done, I help oversee voice recording, participate in the design meetings, set weapon arcs, any number of assistant designer stuff, whatever needs doing. Not all at once. Well, not always all at once.

What are some of your favorite games of all time? (not counting your own)
    Ooh, Lemmings, which lead to a lot of The Lost Vikings. I love keep-em-alive puzzle games. I used to play a lot of RoboSport – dear Maxis, I have an iPhone. I’d pay good money for RoboSport on iPhone. If four of us were willing to take turns setting up our orders on a single Mac in the '80s, imagine how awesome it would be to play turns remotely on our phones.

This could take a while…

I played a lot of Ultima, which did lead to a lot of Everquest ultimately (hah), but not WoW – I ran out of spare time for MMOs, sad but true. What I really, really loved were city builders where stuff grew. SimCity was OK – better than OK obviously, a classic, but I really loved building my cities in Caesar and Pharaoh, and watching the fields change with the seasons. This lured me into FarmVille for a bit, but without all the city building and trading, it didn’t hold me for long.

I actually failed a University Course thanks to Mike Tyson’s Punch-out. In retrospect, I don’t know that I’d call it one of my all-time favorite games, but it’s hard to argue that it didn’t devour my life for three months.

I can also sing the theme song to Skate or Die? What does that mean?

More recently I’m trying, but never finding the time to complete a wide range of games, that I’m pretty sure are worth the praise, but it’s a massive list. Like, it’s actually hurting to think through them all.

In recent years, I’ve only finished Fallout 3, Bioshock, and Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters was great, but had a couple of quirks (trapping in 3D on a 2D screen has some issues, for example). I just had to play through as a fan of the movies. That it was actually fun was a bonus. Bioshock pulled me in and actually creeped me out like nothing else since hearing headcrabs for the first time. Fallout 3 was hard – not gameplay wise, but rather, it was depressing to play. I could only go for an hour or so before it became too morose to play. I got through it, but man, humankind is HOOPED in that game. Then I have a giant pile of games I’ve yet to find the time to complete. I’m currently stalled on Batman: Arkham Asylum, but I made good headway when I was playing it.

And I played way too much Spaceward Ho over the years. MOO is great, but adding up the hours, Spaceward Ho easily racked up the most time, just from intra-office multiplay. Actually, now that I think about it, most of my gaming in my middle-age is borne of whatever office I happen to be in at the time. GTA and Quake at Radical. At Barking Dog it was Spaceward Ho, Serious Sam, Counter Strike, Motocross Madness, Battlefield ’42, and Global Ops (I know that looks outrageous, but I was at BD for way longer than Radical, and the company was working on Global Ops and Counter Strike / Team Fortress, so that was testing… a lot of testing… heroic amounts of testing.) Some of that carried over to Rockstar, but in a blink of an eye, we had left to form Kerberos. More recently, in our decreasingly spare moments, we play Minecraft (company server), and whatever else we can get time in on – Borderlands, Red Dead Revolver, World of tanks… solid online co-op stuff. We like playing co-op over competitive. Ideally, all teams should be like that. Though, I’ll tell you proudly, I was a Motocross Madness wizard… on a keyboard. The team thought it was the Devil’s business. It was the first time I would honestly say I could brag about my skillz (with a zed.)

How did you get started in the games industry?
    I followed the time honored tradition of starting as a tester and working my way up.

Favorite thing about making games
    I like that it’s a rare job in a rare industry. People make assumptions about the work (“Oh, how lucky! You get to play video games all day!” Yes, the same work-in-progress for the better part of a year...) and the industry (“It’s like making movies, right?” No, not really), a lot of which misunderstand the amount of work required to make a game. But at the same time, nobody else in the world gets to solve the kinds of problems a dev team gets to solve. Not just technically, but creatively. There’s a line at the end of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 The Movie where one of the robots spots the special-effects team and cracks, “Oh, those are the guys that spend all day making elves dance.” That’s what I tell people I do… it’s not far off the mark, really.

The best thing about working at Kerberos is...
    The team is great, and I’ve worked with a lot of great teams, but these guys are close to my heart. On top of that, the neighbourhood we get to work in makes this studio extra special to me. Everything a group of creative types could want is within easy walking distance. And it’s Vancouver, so walking is an option all year round. It’s nice to be something non-retail like game development, but still getting to be part of the community around our office.

Which is your favorite race?
    I think I like the Humans the most. The more beginner-friendly modes of transport enjoyed by the Liir and Tarkas are fun, and I certainly appreciate the Liir maneuverability in combat, but Humans, with their node-lines get things moving fast at the start of the game, and provide a logistical challenge that I like. On more mellow days, I’d pick the Hivers as a close second for similar reasons – they’re much much slower at the start of the game, but the familiar bomb-burst expansion method is sometimes a nice bit of nostalgia.

Are you a warmonger or a diplomat?
    Warmonger. I can do diplomat, but you can’t beat the easy learning curve of brute force.

Favorite feature of Sword of the Stars II?
    The SotSpedia – the depth of the Sword of the Stars universe grew out almost as a happy accident. We informed so much of the game with how we saw the game universe that by the end of the first series, we have a huge wealth of information about who’s who and what’s what. Organizing a lot of that within the game is not only going to be convenient, but be fairly unique in a genre where it’s tough to let players experience anything approaching a detailed narrative.

What are you listening to right now?
    The Caustic Soda podcast about mudslides.
    Last edited by castewar; 15-05-2011 at 00:20.
    Kerberos Productions Forums
    "Repensum est Canicula" - unofficial SolForce motto
    Follow us on Twitter!

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessV2 Beta
    V2 AHD BetaPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    But ... wait ... castewar ... you ... Chris ... does not compute ... does not compute ...
    I'm a 19th century man inflicting himself upon a 21st century world.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Unbelievers always want other people to act like Christians." - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Perfected by the sixteen men of Tain.

Instead of unclogging toilets and paying water bill how about paying attention to the buggy software you guys have been releasing and..you know..not release it if its buggy and not ready for release.

EU3 CompleteMajesty 2Sword of the Stars II

Quote Originally Posted by Evrett View Post
    Instead of unclogging toilets and paying water bill how about paying attention to the buggy software you guys have been releasing and..you know..not release it if its buggy and not ready for release.
    Instead of you trolling and being a cyber-stalking troll... how about playing a game you actually LIKE. Most normal people when they don't like something just plain buy something they do like and spend time on that... We get that kerberos hurt your e-peen. Get over it. Move on.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Evrett View Post
    Um, SoTs1 Complete is awesome. Meh, at least you have an icon...
    --From ..A book Bernard Cornwell's Vagabond.
    "...They tried to ambush the coin for my ransom, if you believe it! It was just envy, it seems, for he was poor."

"And now he's dead, my lord?" Thomas asked, amused.

"Dear me, no" his lordship said reprovingly, "he's in a very deep hole in the bottom of my keep. Deep down with the rats. I throw him coins every now and then to remind him why he's there."

Time of Reckoning: Of Diplomacy, Empire and Intrigue AAR Thread

MP IRC Channel for EU3

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneImpire
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    StarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of Nations
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Ignore him guys, obvious troll is obvious. He's obviously off topic anyway.

...I just know he'll make one more post railing against mine. I'm going to ignore it, and I suggest everyone does the same.

And oh man, I spent so much time on Caesar III and Pharaoh! Some of my favourite city-builders. Have you checked out Children of the Nile? It ain't the same...in fact, the gameplay's pretty different, but it's pretty cool and it's by the same people who did the previously mentioned games. Might want to add it to The List, even if it's just to try.
    For the Republic!

...Whichever republic I happen to be playing at the moment.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty II CollectionRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Huh, you played World of Tanks? What's your highest tier? Mine is a Vk 3001 (P) tier 6.
    Worst WritAAR series:
    Saruhan-Annexed
    Avignon-Annexed
    Genoa- Done.................for now
    Ottomans- Dead (to lazy)

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

It seems Humans are the most played race in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by RELee View Post
    But ... wait ... castewar ... you ... Chris ... does not compute ... does not compute ...
    Easy there. There's way too few confederates on these forums as is, let alone of this calibre.

Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars II

Quote Originally Posted by lordreaven448 View Post
    Huh, you played World of Tanks? What's your highest tier? Mine is a Vk 3001 (P) tier 6.
    We don't get to play it a lot - we're limited to the occasional dinner break matches. But I did just recently get myself a tier 4 M5 Stuart, which I'm playing due to my love of the Haunted Tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tssha View Post
    And oh man, I spent so much time on Caesar III and Pharaoh! Some of my favourite city-builders. Have you checked out Children of the Nile? It ain't the same...in fact, the gameplay's pretty different, but it's pretty cool and it's by the same people who did the previously mentioned games. Might want to add it to The List, even if it's just to try.
    Ahh, cool, thanks! I will check it out. I remember Caesar being so peaceful. An old company I worked at pitched an expansion - didn't land it, but I was that close to working on the series. C'est la vie.
    Kerberos Productions Forums
    "Repensum est Canicula" - unofficial SolForce motto
    Follow us on Twitter!

Rōnin and Caput lupinum Anguille's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteLost Empire - ImmortalsRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by castewar View Post
    Ahh, cool, thanks! I will check it out. I remember Caesar being so peaceful. An old company I worked at pitched an expansion - didn't land it, but I was that close to working on the series. C'est la vie.
    Children of the Nile is a great game indeed. If you like a roman themed game, i'd recommend to check out Imperium Romanum gold by Haemimont games...it's a very relaxing game.
    A Knights of Honor story:

The Merchant of Alexandria: a Fatimids AAR

Le Schtroumpf qui schtroumpfe le schtroumpf est un gros Schtroumpf….c’est le Schtroumpf qui l’a schtroumpfé. Et si le Schtroumpf ne le schtroumpfe pas, c'est son propre schtroumpf. C'est quand même incroyable que l'on ne peut pas schtroumpfer ce que l'on veut schtroumpfer dans le schtroumpf sans être schtoumpfé de Schtroumpf.

Just saw your icon on the kerberos forums! Why don't you use that here too? Such a cool pic lol. Did you draw that? Also do you guys at Kerberos ever just launch EPIC lan SotS1 games against each other? Seems like the people who built it would be the scariest opponents, even scarier than the suul'ka maybe....

+ Reply to Thread