+ Reply to Thread
Page 222 of 602 FirstFirst ... 122 147 172 197 212 220 221 222 223 224 232 247 272 297 322 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,440 of 12029

Thread: Quick questions / Quick answers -- EU3

Sergeant
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Thanks. And what about cavalry? I usually have 4 regiments per army, is it enough? Or should I don't even use them?

You always want 4 units of cavalry, because they can flank 2 rows

Example of battlelines in a 10 inf 6 cav vs 5 inf engagement -- only the front row can fight at once.

Code:
        CAV INF INF INF INF INF CAV
    CAV CAV INF INF INF INF INF CAV CAV 
                     vs
            INF INF INF INF INF
    *Edited for clarification

It can be valuable to add another 1 or 2 cav in case you lose some, to keep them reinforced..
    'Whoever conquers a free city and does not demolish it commits a great error and may expect to be ruined himself.'

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

what is overseas income exactly, when you have modifiers increasing your overseas income does that only increase the tax value of your overseas provinces or is it tariffs aswell?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by apg View Post
    what is overseas income exactly, when you have modifiers increasing your overseas income does that only increase the tax value of your overseas provinces or is it tariffs aswell?
    Only tax in overseas provinces. Modifiers that increase tariffs use the term "tariff" or "tariff efficiency".
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

Quote Originally Posted by dzikslaw View Post
    How should I mix infantry and cavalry with artillery?
    Quote Originally Posted by dzikslaw View Post
    Thanks. And what about cavalry? I usually have 4 regiments per army, is it enough? Or should I don't even use them?
    Early game, Cavalry rules the field, so build armies from 2:3 blocks. Except if HRE, then 1:3 and more inf. Offensive slider helps either way.

Middle game, have a big Infantry core, almost as much arty, and 2-4 cav. for flanking. A minor Inf. surplus is needed so that you don't lose the Mixed arms bonus.
    Late game, 30-few K inf and 30K art. OR 50 art 10 inf, and watch your enemies die in fire... the first three days of battle. Defensive slider makes arty cheaper, so it helps a lot.

I'm playing as GB in DW 5.1 and saw that my army is larger than the rest of the top ten combined so I let my infamy get over the limit (first time). After about 5 over I get a province rebels event and I've gotten one about every two months for the past year (it's 1771 now). It's not really a problem as they're only 4-6 stacks but is this normal? It only started once my infamy went over.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by ArcturusN7 View Post
    I'm playing as GB in DW 5.1 and saw that my army is larger than the rest of the top ten combined so I let my infamy get over the limit (first time). After about 5 over I get a province rebels event and I've gotten one about every two months for the past year (it's 1771 now). It's not really a problem as they're only 4-6 stacks but is this normal? It only started once my infamy went over.
    Yes, and it will get worse.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by ShoGuL View Post
    You always want 4 units of cavalry, because they can flank 2 rows

Example of battlelines in a 10 inf 6 cav vs 5 inf engagement -- only the front row can fight at once.

Code:
        CAV INF INF INF INF INF CAV
    CAV CAV INF INF INF INF INF CAV CAV 
                     vs
            INF INF INF INF INF
    *Edited for clarification

It can be valuable to add another 1 or 2 cav in case you lose some, to keep them reinforced..
    Infantry can also do flanking for the first connected spot. So a 2 Cav +8 Inf vs. a 6 Inf is just as good as a 4 Cav + 6 Inf vs. 6 Inf. Both stacks end up with 4 flanking units. Of course Cav early on does more damage but come mid to late game infantry end up doing more damage.
    My mom always told me to be nicer. She said that I could catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. But I always found that a big pile of dog poop worked best.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...s-of-EU3-units
    Is a pretty good depiction of Art/Inf vs. Cav and produces really surprising results, namely that cavalry is more deadly than Inf/Art for every Area of the Game except 1700-1798, if I understand the thread correctly.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by stnikolauswagne View Post
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...s-of-EU3-units
    Is a pretty good depiction of Art/Inf vs. Cav and produces really surprising results, namely that cavalry is more deadly than Inf/Art for every Area of the Game except 1700-1798, if I understand the thread correctly.
    EDIT:
    A further post (#22) says this about calvary vs. infantry.

Bad news everybody. It looks like my analysis is fatally flawed. Take a look at this:

(go to link and post 22 to see actual graph)

In this graph you can see the damage cavalry does against infantry of equal tech level (red line) and the damage the infantry does against the same cavalry (blue line). Again, all Western units.

According to this, between tech 11 and 21 infantry does more damage to cavalry than vice versa. The same for level 34-35 and 43-51. And up until tech level 22, they do roughly the same amounts of damage to each other.

That can't be right. Remember, this is without terrain modifiers, the optimal situation for cavalry. This is ridiculous.

So basically it's back to the drawing board . Personally I think the culprit is reducing the die roll to its average value, because of the floor and ceiling effects in the casualties formula. But perhaps I made a mistake with the other assumptions, or the combat formula isn't correct in some way, or something else...

Also, they then discuss morale losses where the calvary would flee before the infantry. The infantry might have taken more MP losses but as we all know a unit with zero morale in the next fight has a much better chance of completely being destroyed.
    Last edited by jju_57; 31-08-2011 at 19:02.
    My mom always told me to be nicer. She said that I could catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. But I always found that a big pile of dog poop worked best.

Quote Originally Posted by ANO1453 View Post
    Yes, and it will get worse.
    So is it higher infamy = more revolts? My infamy peaked at 65 and the revolts are about 1-2 times a month now. So reducing my infamy will reduce the revolts?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

So is it higher infamy = more revolts? My infamy peaked at 65 and the revolts are about 1-2 times a month now. So reducing my infamy will reduce the revolts?
    When you get under 200% of your Infamy-Limit the time between revolts should be decreased by 75%, If I read the file right. (It mentions a modifier of 0.25 for having twice your BB Limit).
    And jju_57: No need to be that condescending, cut me some slack, it's been nearly 5 months that this thread has been around and I mentioned that it could be that I interpreted the thread the wrong way, anyway, I am sorry for not reading the thread in it's entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by stnikolauswagne View Post
    And jju_57: No need to be that condescending, cut me some slack, it's been nearly 5 months that this thread has been around and I mentioned that it could be that I interpreted the thread the wrong way, anyway, I am sorry for not reading the thread in it's entirety.
    Yea you're right. Sorry for comming off that way.

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Does nobody bother with the tactics bonus? Maybe I've been overestimating the modifier, but I don't think any of the army builds you recommend would qualify (since you need 60% more infantry than cavalry).
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have just begun! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

It's more like the more you are above your limit, the worse. The rest is said by stnikolauswagne (big name).
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

How good is the idea +20% global colonial growth for someone like portugal and what exactly does it do?
    “Although our intellect always longs for clarity and certainty, our nature often finds uncertainty fascinating.” ~Karl Von Clausewitz~

Quote Originally Posted by Templaric- View Post
    How good is the idea +20% global colonial growth for someone like portugal and what exactly does it do?
    The idea is great for Portugal. Basically it ensures a colony will be full grown in 9 years if on standard climate, etc. OR will allow you to set your colonial maintenance slider to 70% (the bonus of the idea is 33%) without any damages, but saving you lots of money. Either way it's a money maker to major colonial power.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by ANO1453 View Post
    The idea is great for Portugal. Basically it ensures a colony will be full grown in 9 years if on standard climate, etc. OR will allow you to set your colonial maintenance slider to 70% (the bonus of the idea is 33%) without any damages, but saving you lots of money. Either way it's a money maker to major colonial power.
    Does it lose the effect once it becomes a self-sustaining colony or does it still have the 33% population growth once it's self-sustaining
    “Although our intellect always longs for clarity and certainty, our nature often finds uncertainty fascinating.” ~Karl Von Clausewitz~

Quote Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
    Does nobody bother with the tactics bonus? Maybe I've been overestimating the modifier, but I don't think any of the army builds you recommend would qualify (since you need 60% more infantry than cavalry).
    Actually that is not correct. For the western/latin group you just need 1 more infantry unit than calvary. For the nomad/hordes it goes as low as a single infantry for unlimited calvary. You can easily verify this by looking at your stack. If the caalvary is red you are not getting the modifier. Otherwise you are.

And the modifier doesn't have an impact till LT 18 when it hits two if I recall correctly.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionMarch of the EaglesVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by jju_57 View Post
    And the modifier doesn't have an impact till LT 18 when it hits two if I recall correctly.
    It has an impact starting at land tech 3. It's just not very big.
    If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

Ask your quick modding questions in the appropriate place

+ Reply to Thread