• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also make sure to retreat all your units from foreign land after a war is finished. If you forget a stack there, it will constantly produce quite a lot war exhaustion.

How to keep a monopoly? I have 6 Cots, full mercantilism, own 100% of goods traded there, 99% compete chance on everybody and STILL get kicked by some OPM like Firenze or something in a year or even less. Is it even possible to have a constant monopoly?

How to keep a monopoly? I have 6 Cots, full mercantilism, own 100% of goods traded there, 99% compete chance on everybody and STILL get kicked by some OPM like Firenze or something in a year or even less. Is it even possible to have a constant monopoly?

It's quite difficult, as a new entrant will always target the monopolist first.

WE is increased by:

Having your homeland's provinces blockaded
Having same continent core provinces occupied by another country
Armies suffering from attrition

If I had to guess I'd say you're fighting in transoxiana and the himalayas during winter. Just reduce the total number of troops fighting abroad.

Hold your mouse over the WE number and it will give you a breakdown of the causes. It's almost certainly attrition caused by having too many troops in a province. The solution is to spread out your armies except when actually fighting a battle. And never siege with more than 2-3k (unless it's very late game and you have massive artillery stacks for the siege bonus).

Also make sure to retreat all your units from foreign land after a war is finished. If you forget a stack there, it will constantly produce quite a lot war exhaustion.

In this game with Hindustan I have no provinces blockade nor any territory occupied (I'm fighting with 3 hordes every 5 years).
I also retreat fast when I finish a war because I know the problem of forget some troops in other countries.
The biggest problem is the attrition (because of the territory), my armies are
15000 infantry/7000 cavalry/2000 artillery.
I will try to split them.
I'm waiting to military westernize to the western tech group (I need another slider move vs centralisation and I'm done).
Once done will something be different (in attrition) or it will be the same?

I'm waiting to military westernize to the western tech group (I need another slider move vs centralisation and I'm done).

It is the same. Every 1000 troops requires 1 supply in the province except tropical provinces. Your tech/unit group has no bearing on that. There is a NI that lowers attrition by 50% though. Some places have additional affects for supply limit like mild winter, harsh winter etc that take away from the supply limit too, which you have to keep your eye on.

What happens if you annex the Papal States in DW? The Papacy continues to exist, but what about relations with the Papacy? Do they get frozen at the point where it gets annexed? Since it's no longer a country, you can't influence it through diplomatic relations. Can excommunications still occur?

Thanks in advance for replies. :)

What happens if you annex the Papal States in DW? The Papacy continues to exist, but what about relations with the Papacy? Do they get frozen at the point where it gets annexed? Since it's no longer a country, you can't influence it through diplomatic relations. Can excommunications still occur?

Before long, an event should occur making the Papal State reemerge in a Theocracy

Catholic Archbishoprics will get an event that will reform them as PAP, if the annexer refuses the event Cede Rome to the Pope. If there are no more Catholic Archbishoprics left, the Papacy ceases to exist.

However, the Curia has nothing to do with PAP, so excommunications etc. can keep going. And as PAP usually appears again, relations start to exist again.

But I have no idea what happens to relations when they cease to exist. :confused:

Relations simply are left out of the equation of anything that has to do with the Papacy. The Curia Controller has 100% control.
1) Thanks
2) Then they will control the Curia forever, as they must be sizable to ever take control of it in the first place.
Well, not forever, but for at least a few decades.

I've seen people post empires where every coastal province has a naval unit docked. Does this increase income somehow? I'm especially inquisitive as to whether this helps colonies/overseas provinces out. Also, same thing with dropping a unit on top of every grain province, does it help?

In this game with Hindustan I have no provinces blockade nor any territory occupied (I'm fighting with 3 hordes every 5 years).
I also retreat fast when I finish a war because I know the problem of forget some troops in other countries.
The biggest problem is the attrition (because of the territory), my armies are
15000 infantry/7000 cavalry/2000 artillery.
I will try to split them.

Yesterday I played splitting the armies as suggested during the war, and WE was "only" of 0.30/month, still very high but better than 0.80.
The question is:
why does my WE increase during a war even if my troops are in my territory and enemy troops are still in their territories? (internal territories, so no blockaded ports)
:confused:

I've seen people post empires where every coastal province has a naval unit docked. Does this increase income somehow? I'm especially inquisitive as to whether this helps colonies/overseas provinces out. Also, same thing with dropping a unit on top of every grain province, does it help?

Every fleet 'patrols' the sea provinces around it, even if it's just one ship. If a sea province isn't patrolled pirates will spawn there and any adjacent overseas provinces will have a -50% tariff modifier. The revolt risk map mode shows which sea provinces are being patrolled.

why does my WE increase during a war even if my troops are in my territory and enemy troops are still in their territories? (internal territories, so no blockaded ports)
:confused:

Probably because the provinces you are in can't sustain the number of troops in it's territory, even if it's your own province.

Look in the province for a number called "supply limit". Keep the number of regiments at or below this value, and war exhaustion shouldn't be a problem anymore.

The ideal to the get the most out of colonial empires is to have at least one small or big ship per overseas provinces. I rather use one small ship per 4 coastal zones though, and use the rest in naval stacks to protect my empire from external threats.

How should I mix infantry and cavalry with artillery?

Early artillery you just want one regiment of per fort level up to your enemy's average fort level.

Middle artillery get as many as your opponent has infantry ASSUMING that you have as many or more infantry than your opponent in an upcoming battle. Artillery can hide behind infantry and shoot over them.

Late artillery cram as many of them as you can in without leaving them vulnerable because they're the strongest units in the game.

Remember