• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How exactly do I deal with the Reformation? I'm France and a number of my provinces have gone Protestant, but by no means a majority. I have just got the Religious Turmoil modifier - is there any way of getting rid of it? What is the best course of action for my nation?

Stay narrowminded (if you want to remain catholic). Wait for counter reformation and embrace that like your mother that you love, and pray your country doesn't fall apart while waiting for religious zeal to expire.

The Religious Turmoil evaporates when the overwhelming majority of your provinces are of the state religion.

Alternatively, if you are already innovative, embrace the change, convert to protestant.

Hi, I have a few questions. Sorry if it has already been answered elsewhere, if so, please provide a link (I have searched without finding anything, and it will take me forever to read through all 97 pages in this thread). I am playing DW with the latest beta patch.

First question is about the tooltip on commodities. I'll take Wool (in Mosquito) as an example, the tooltip says among other things:

Demand for this good is affected by the following factors in every populated province in the world.

(a) +20: have a shipyard in Mosquito
(b) +20: have a textile factory in Mosquito
(c) +100: Mosquito produces cloth

What does this mean? I think I understand (a) and (b); if I build a shipyard and a textile manufactury in Mosquito, I'll get the bonus, right? But how shall I understand (c)? How can Mosquito produce cloth, when it actually produces wool???

Why does the tooltip first say "in every populated province in the world", and then qualify everything by stating that it must be "in Mosquito"?

Second question: What should I build in my gold provinces? According to the manual and the wiki, gold is very special in that it goes directly into the treasury, it is neither generating tax nor production. So what will be the clever thing to build in these provinces - nothing?

Finally, the manual and the wiki says that gold will add to inflation. But when I check my inflation tooltip, it always says that my gold mines contribute with 0.00 inflation points. I have taken all the inca gold, and I earn quite a lot of money from these mines, but they do not change my inflation. Which is nice ;), but is it wad?

Thanks in advance :)

Can Native Americans colonise, or do they have to either become Christian or get the Colonial venture NF?

They are alowed to colonise, yes but they won't get colonists from their religion like christians, so yes they need colonial ventures or a coastal CoT etc in order to get colonists

First question is about the tooltip on commodities. I'll take Wool (in Mosquito) as an example, the tooltip says among other things:

Demand for this good is affected by the following factors in every populated province in the world.

(a) +20: have a shipyard in Mosquito
(b) +20: have a textile factory in Mosquito
(c) +100: Mosquito produces cloth

What does this mean? I think I understand (a) and (b); if I build a shipyard and a textile manufactury in Mosquito, I'll get the bonus, right? But how shall I understand (c)? How can Mosquito produce cloth, when it actually produces wool???

Why does the tooltip first say "in every populated province in the world", and then qualify everything by stating that it must be "in Mosquito"?

Where it says Mosquito replace with any province. ie any province that has a shipyard will have its demand for (in this case wool) increased by 20%. Any province that produces cloth has its demand for wool increased 100%.

Second question: What should I build in my gold provinces? According to the manual and the wiki, gold is very special in that it goes directly into the treasury, it is neither generating tax nor production. So what will be the clever thing to build in these provinces - nothing?

Finally, the manual and the wiki says that gold will add to inflation. But when I check my inflation tooltip, it always says that my gold mines contribute with 0.00 inflation points. I have taken all the inca gold, and I earn quite a lot of money from these mines, but they do not change my inflation. Which is nice ;), but is it wad?

Thanks in advance :)

Well in the Trade line Market place and canal aren't of any use, but you need them to get to the others.
In the Production line the counting house isn't of any use but again you need it to get to others. If you are strapped for magistrates ignore the trade line imo.

On the inflation, I believe it is based on what % of your income the gold is. So if it is only a small % it won't add any inflation.

Stay narrowminded (if you want to remain catholic). Wait for counter reformation and embrace that like your mother that you love, and pray your country doesn't fall apart while waiting for religious zeal to expire.

The Religious Turmoil evaporates when the overwhelming majority of your provinces are of the state religion.

Alternatively, if you are already innovative, embrace the change, convert to protestant.

My innovative/narrowminded slider is only 2 to the left (innovative). Do you think I should stay or convert? I am roughly 2/3 Catholic, with the rest split between Reformed and Protestant. Also the Papal Control + Papal State hates me (-200 relations).

I have also noticed that my tolerance for my state religion is negative and that as a result my tax income has plummeted. How do I rectify this?

For the negative tax modifier for intolerance: is this as a result of tolerance for the state religion or the province's religion?

Last edited:
I'm playing as England and by 1418 I've completed the Occupy Paris mission and taken all of the subsequent cores. I'm trying to change my culture to Cosmopolitaine so that I can form France - you just have to have that culture as the one with the most provinces, right? When I release Northumberland and sell them provinces to get it so that I have more Cosmo provs than English ones, the culture doesn't flip. What have I missed?

you need to have the capital in a cosmo province too , so move the capital to Paris (would be silly elsewhere!) and it should show up

I'm playing as England and by 1418 I've completed the Occupy Paris mission and taken all of the subsequent cores. I'm trying to change my culture to Cosmopolitaine so that I can form France - you just have to have that culture as the one with the most provinces, right? When I release Northumberland and sell them provinces to get it so that I have more Cosmo provs than English ones, the culture doesn't flip. What have I missed?

You don't need to sell any provinces to flip to cosmopolitan culture, there are more cosmopolitan provinces than english ones to begin with, and occupy paris gives you cores on all of them. Just capture all of them, then mint 1000 g to move your capital to paris, then invest in stab like crazy, then change culture, then invest in stab like crazy again. Finally form France.

Any provinces that you sell you will lose your cores on, which kind of defeats the benefits of playing England -> France, which is all the free cores on England & Ireland :)

The cheapest way of annexing France entirely is to drive them out of Paris first of all by taking all the provinces around it, then taking it in the next war. Then make them release all the provinces in southern france you dont have cores on as new independant nations. Finally annex france. Try to leave it with one province you have a core on so you can declare war as many times as you want.

Take the Divine Supremacy NI?

What exactly does Declaring the Kingdom of God do to the Curia? Does it mean you control all the cardinals, or are the Papal Controller's powers completely revoked?

Didn't see an answer for this yet. When I tried it in HTTT, the Curia was disabled and I was for all intents and purposes, just another kingdom in the world. A kingdom controlling Italy and southern Europe, but still a boring kingdom.

Ok, I've got some easier questions now that I've figured out that I have EU3 Complete instead of Heir to the throne. (though why the load screen says heir to the throne is beyond me....) Is there anywhere on the Paradox sites where I can buy & download the rest of the expansions? Or do I have to order them from somewhere like Amazon and load them manually?

Ok, I've got some easier questions now that I've figured out that I have EU3 Complete instead of Heir to the throne. (though why the load screen says heir to the throne is beyond me....) Is there anywhere on the Paradox sites where I can buy & download the rest of the expansions? Or do I have to order them from somewhere like Amazon and load them manually?

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/

I have two/three small questions:
1. After playing around with SoI's in my Austria game I noticed that some of the royal marriages to countries with disputed succession show "Austria Inherits XY" as the event on monarchs death, is this something that could really happen or is it just some kind of bug?
2. Is Inheriting countries based on the leaders diplomatic skill or the diplomatic skill with added boni from soi? If so, would a skill of around 35 be enough to guarantee Inheritance like it does with vasallization and diploannexiation?
3. If I get a Queen upon passing the Reform "Erbkaisertum" will I lose the title forever or will I get a female Emperor?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

1. After playing around with SoI's in my Austria game I noticed that some of the royal marriages to countries with disputed succession show "Austria Inherits XY" as the event on monarchs death, is this something that could really happen or is it just some kind of bug?

I guess you could call it a bug, what is displayed isn't accurate, the chance of inheriting is calculated the day of the monarchs death and whats shown before is pretty much a wild guess. Also you won't inherit rather gain a Personal Union on them.

2. Is Inheriting countries based on the leaders diplomatic skill or the diplomatic skill with added boni from soi? If so, would a skill of around 35 be enough to guarantee Inheritance like it does with vasallization and diploannexiation?

As far as I know no, diplomatic skill doesn't help. Just 100+ relations upon monarchs death.

3. If I get a Queen upon passing the Reform "Erbkaisertum" will I lose the title forever or will I get a female Emperor?

Good question, I'm not entirely positive, but I would assume you'd get a female emperor. But Im honestly not sure what trumps the other, prohibition on female emperors or locking it into heriditary succesion. I lean towards the latter.

I guess you could call it a bug, what is displayed isn't accurate, the chance of inheriting is calculated the day of the monarchs death and whats shown before is pretty much a wild guess. Also you won't inherit rather gain a Personal Union on them.

untrue, as aragon i've inherited a random german opm without having ANY personal union beforehand, just remembered it was pommerania and it had three provinces... why did i quit that game... lol

i tested this the other day when i read it would revoke emperorship, loaded up as my endgland game and proved it to be untrue, you will stay HRE with a female ruler, unless "Anne" just happened to have a ridiculously feminine name for a guy.

After you've become hereditary Emperor, they obviously can't take the title away from your family, Queen or no Queen. Maria Theresa would like a word.

When I inherit a nation (that is in my culture group), do I also get cores on the provinces the inherited nation itself didn't have cores on?

If so, does this mean that whenever me and my PU-partner go to war, I should immediately sell any annexed provinces to my partner? Or does this carry the risk of making my partner bigger than me, therefore making inheriting impossible?