• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you very much. I have another question now though.

The Nogai horde attacked one of my provinces because they neighbor, but when I occupy theres and try to colonize it, it says its too far from a port. Does the neighboring province they attack have to be a core? Why does it assume that the horde province I'm trying to colonize is an overseas one either? I'm playing as Italy.

Also, does the USA and possibly states such as Texas, emerge in normal gameplay?

Last edited:
In the ledger there is a break down of your income. Alternatively look in the economic overview window and multiply the monthly tariff income by 12.

Regularly return your ships to port (get military access if they are far from home), avoid open sea, and give them a leader with a good manoeuvre score.

In "EUIII/common" you will find a file called defines.txt - search for "0.3 #_EDEF_NAVAL_MAINTENANCE_FACTOR_" and replace the 0.3 with 0.15

Thanks for the first two bits, but I couldn't find what to edit in the defines file anywhere. I'm using Steam if it matters.

The Nogai horde attacked one of my provinces because they neighbor, but when I occupy theres and try to colonize it, it says its too far from a port. Does the neighboring province they attack have to be a core? Why does it assume that the horde province I'm trying to colonize is an overseas one either? I'm playing as Italy.

Yes I think the colonization range is calculated from the next core province.

My understanding is that so long as there is a land connection between your province bordering the horde and any cored province you can send the colonist. So for example if you own a province 10 provinces away that is cored, so long as you own all the provinces in between you can colonise.

Thanks for the first two bits, but I couldn't find what to edit in the defines file anywhere. I'm using Steam if it matters.

It is the 13th one down under economy. Not sure what difference Steam would make.

Is it rude to not read 80 pages looking for "your question?" If so, Im sorry.

2 questions: Why is one of my navies red on the thingy to the right? Too many units? All units are at 100% health...

What is the best army ratio? Only Infanry? Or the other kind? I totally lost the english word there :p
My current army "tactic" is 6/4, good or bad?

Ooh, a third question question :p
When not at war, should I keep one big army with all my units, or split them up? Pros and cons on that?

What is the best army ratio? Only Infanry? Or the other kind? I totally lost the english word there :p
My current army "tactic" is 6/4, good or bad?
Depends on your tech group, but if you're Western European, less than half your army should be cavalry. Other than that; 6 INF/4 CAV is fine for early in the game; I tend to add more infantry as technology advances but stay at 4 cavalry. (And add artillery after about 1550).

When not at war, should I keep one big army with all my units, or split them up? Pros and cons on that?
Check the provinces of your country and find the lowest Supply Value. Split up your army so each force is smaller than that supply limit, to ensure you won't suffer attrition.

The advantages of keeping your army divided into stacks of about 10,000 men each (bigger in the later game): less attrition, you can send them against multiple targets (what do you do if you get two lots of rebels at different ends of your country?), you can besiege more than one province at once without leaving vulnerable small forces scattered around, and if need be you can send multiple armie against an enemy doomstack, then split them up gain afterwards.

Excellent and very detailed post. Thank you very much. I will declare war on France in your name :)

I did try and quote StephenT in my reply, but I failed. But still, thank you very much!

Ooh, followup question! I have one army with 5 infantry and 5 cavalry, but the number for my cavalry is in red. If I split the army and only use 4 cav, it no longer red. Pretty basic, but why?

It will take years before I even try to go online with this game :)

When NOT in red it means that you are getting the combined arms bonus. When it´s in red it means you are not getting it. So, what the combined arms bonus? I am not sure, but I think it´s something related with casualties. Getting that bonus, will reduce casualties. As an advice, I would tell you to forget about this bonus. For the first 100 years of the game (more or less) cavalry rules no matter (but watch those rivers and mountain provinces¡). After that, you should use mostly infantry armies.

PS. Remembering better, yes, teh CA bonus is like the military tactics you get in Victoria 2. It´s a bonus which changes depending on your tech and will reduce the number of casualties. You get it if your infantry in the army is more numerous than your cavalry. However, early in the game the bonus is small, and cavalry is too good. Later, the bonus increases and infantry starts to rule the battlefield thanks to a far better morale.

My understanding is that so long as there is a land connection between your province bordering the horde and any cored province you can send the colonist. So for example if you own a province 10 provinces away that is cored, so long as you own all the provinces in between you can colonise.

I'm fairly certain with horde colonization(same with regular) you need an unbroken or blocked(by armies) connect w/ the province and your capital province. IE, land connection thru your provinces and not a army seiging a bottle neck province.

Playing GB as Protestant should I try to convert my provinces that are still Catholic??

I'm pretty sure that your Catholic provinces will lose 30% of their Tax Income. There may be other effects. Note that Tax Income is effectively double the value you see in the province view because you get it as both Monthly and Year-End income.