• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This may be slightly off topic but why is searching disabled?

I was going to search player's opinions on whether giving out trade rights is a good thing.

Venice (now Aquilia) has been economically weakened in my game by the Hansa who have got trade rights from most of it's neighbours including me (for my wine) and now Venice is only worth 200 ducats whilst Hansa is worth 1750. I am just wondering how much I benefitted if at all, is the production increase worth the trade loss?

This may be slightly off topic but why is searching disabled?
Because the Paradox forum has 212,964 registered users and a database of 11,732,742 forum posts, and Paradox can't afford to have an entire building full of servers the way Google does. Back when searching was enabled, every so often a few thousand people would try to use it all at the same time, and the system would freeze up and everyone else would get a "Server busy" screen when they tried to log in. so they turned Search off. Other very high usage forums do the same, it's not unique to them.

You can, however, use Google to search the site as long as you include the string site:forum.paradoxplaza.com in your search terms.

Thanks for the tip Stephen and for clarifying. It was working a week or two ago so I was wondering what was up, if traffic is that bad then I don't blame them.

Yes, search was disabled I think 2 or 3 days ago, for the reasons already stated by StephenT. There's a thread on it in the Paradox General Discussion forum somewhere I think.

Could anyone please quickly test if "setting message default" option works properly? (change one msg option, click set default, quit the game and restart to see if settings went back to default.) Mine does not work and I would like to know if this is bugged for others too. (if so to report on bug forum with the result.)

Could anyone please quickly test if "setting message default" option works properly? (change one msg option, click set default, quit the game and restart to see if settings went back to default.) Mine does not work and I would like to know if this is bugged for others too. (if so to report on bug forum with the result.)

If you've installed in C:\Program Files, and run Vista/7, then it's a problem with compatibility files. Check the tech support sticky.

Can North American nations only have tribal governments until they westernize? I'm trying for the Cherokee achievement and noticed that even with a high tech level I still can't switch government forms.

Can North American nations only have tribal governments until they westernize? I'm trying for the Cherokee achievement and noticed that even with a high tech level I still can't switch government forms.

Code:
tribal_despotism_reform = {
		potential = {
			government = tribal_despotism
			NOT = { centralization_decentralization = 2 }
			NOT = { innovative_narrowminded = 2 }
			OR = {
				OR = {
						technology_group = western
						technology_group = eastern
						technology_group = ottoman
						technology_group = muslim
				}
				any_neighbor_country = {
					OR = {
					}
				}
			}
		}
		allow = {
			ADM = 7
			legitimacy = 0.7
			government_tech = 10
			stability = 2
			war = no
		}
		effect = {
			government = despotic_monarchy
			stability = -5
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
	tribal_federation_reform = {
		potential = {
			government = tribal_federation
			OR = {
				OR = {
				}
				any_neighbor_country = {
					OR = {
					}
				}
			}
		}
		allow = {
			ADM = 7
			government_tech = 10
			legitimacy = 0.7
			stability = 2
			war = no
		}
		effect = {
			government = feudal_monarchy
			stability = -5
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
	tribal_democracy_reform = {
		potential = {
			government = tribal_democracy
			OR = {
				OR = {
				}
				any_neighbor_country = {
					OR = {
					}
				}
			}
		}
		allow = {
			ADM = 7
			government_tech = 10
			stability = 2
			war = no
		}
		effect = {
			government = noble_republic
			stability = -5
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
	steppe_horde_reform = {
		potential = {
			government = steppe_horde
		}
		allow = {
			OR = {
				OR = {
				}
				any_neighbor_country = {
					OR = {
					}
				}
			}
			ADM = 7
			legitimacy = 0.7
			government_tech = 10
			stability = 2
		}
		effect = {
			government = despotic_monarchy
			stability = -5
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
}

Translation:

Get an admin ruler of 7 or higher, have gov. tech 10 or higher, have a stability of 2 or higher, be at +2 narrowminded and decent., and you'll get the "Reform Tribal Government" national decision that gets you out of the tribal governments.

Apparently westernizing requires you to have a neighbour in a higher tech group than you.

So countires like japan and Korea should have a hard time westernising, correct?

Can a player who became emperor of the HRE appoint new electors or is this a AI-only thingy? In my game as Brandenburg Saxony was annexed long ago, yet even 100 years later no seventh elector has been chosen.

in addition to above post about westernization, will a country across one sea province be considered a neighbor or do I have to have a border contact on land to westernize?

I'm playing Ryukyu and thinking of migrating the whole country to Europe, and if I can't westernize on one province island right next to a coast line i will have to find another way :)

You want infamy to be the lowest percentage possible, prestige to be the highest possible, and warscore to be the lowest possible. The base "no CB" modifiers are all 100%.

Do you have any idea why I'm not getting any prestige here?
"
NoPrestige.jpg

I've also noticed that demanding more then 1 core 'released' that the prestige doesn't add up. Is that normal? (playing DW)

NoAddCore.jpg

I think that if the country has less prestige than you'd normally earn, the prestige earnt is limited by the amount they actually have.

Can a player who became emperor of the HRE appoint new electors or is this a AI-only thingy? In my game as Brandenburg Saxony was annexed long ago, yet even 100 years later no seventh elector has been chosen.

Electorship is given by an event. If you aren't getting more electors, try to get some nations above +100 relations with you. That's the only time the event will fire, IIRC.

in addition to above post about westernization, will a country across one sea province be considered a neighbor

If the province is across a strait, yes. If you need a ship to get there, no.

I think that if the country has less prestige than you'd normally earn, the prestige earnt is limited by the amount they actually have.

This, I think.

However, it should tell you that when you're making the peace deal. Each core says it'll give you 1 prestige, so it may be a bug that it isn't giving it to you.

Do noncores count as neighbouring someone?

if I have a colony or some other noncore neighboring a latin colony or noncore, would that meet the requirement for westernizing?

Last edited:
Mission Issue

In Divine Wind I have received the mission "National Naval Supplies Production" - is there a way to nudge a province into producing naval supplies, or am I left with:
1. Colonizing and hoping for the best.
2. Taking someone else's province that produces naval supplies.
3. Wait for a random event.

Or am I missing something vital?