• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another fan here! I've been reading this all morning and it has given me new courage to tackle RoP! The detail in this game looks like heaven.

Good luck to both sides.

I am currently in Vienna IRL, so I cannot update the AAR. I should be back this evening, but will have more IRL stuff to tackle (basically, I will be looking for a new job in French, English or Swedish speaking countries, as I am bored by my current job), so the AAR should slow down a little in the coming days. It will STILL be carried on until the end, though. I am a bit stubborn and always complete a project I start ;)

This new siege rule seems rather daft. I'll be interested to find out exactly what went on to allow for both to just walt, so I caz out of a siege.

I plan to do some tests to understand what happens :) You will know the results, if there are results.

First of all I want to say this is an impressive AAR Narwhal!

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.
I take the SC as I play, so I don't know if I took a screenshoot of the ledger in the coming turns. If I did not, I will open an old save and do it.

Anazagar answered your questions well. To add more details :
- For question #1, I believe a hit represents 17 dead men for infantry, and around 10 for cavalry.
- For question #3, artillery has quite an impact when the weather is good and the battlefield cleared. In bad weather / rough land, the maximum range is shortened and thus artillery plays much less of a role.
Another advantage of artillery is that it rarely takes hits, which means that even after a few battle it tends to be in perfect state (except cohesion).
- For question #5, the Swedes are really low quality (low max cohesion - horrible commanders), and thus not dangerous except in hit-and-run and in harrassing, due to their (I believe) low max cohesion. You ll see by yourself - well - in about 20 turns :)
5. How strong is the french army at this time? I know they are many, but are they as good as my british or hanoverian troops or even better?
[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised how many follow without saying anything. ;)
I haven't even finished reading yet, just wanted to share this reply.
Thank you very much - I appreciate it.

Damn AGEODs games are so bloody sweet. Only problem is that they are way to hard on my laptop :(

Great AAR Narwhal! Keep up the good work!

Birth of America, which is probably my favorite AGEOD games, works well on my very, very old laptop. You should try :)

It's always nice to see when your opponent catches you off guard. The move on Bremen seems well-considered, and you didn't see it coming. :) It's a bit of unpredictability that we don't see very often when the writer is only playing against the AI.

I actually know my Baris and can often somehow "predict" his moves. THis attack on Bremen really caught me off guard, you are right. Baris usually does not go for secondary targets ; he prefers to focus on a few key-targets with huge, hence slow, but "safe" and powerful stacks. That's why for instance he ignored Wesel until 1758, attacked directly Breslau without occupying any other city in Silesia, and did not bother attacking the unprotected Halle... which allowed to reconquer Saxony. This has an advantage for him - it makes up for the slowness of his huge stacks - but it is also a risk : he can easily be cut from his rears and allows me to have "bases" from which I can counter-attack and then pursuit.

In this case, the attack against Bremen was a very good move from him. Even though I am victorious against Austria, I lost quite a lot of men and NEED those English reinforcements.

Another fan here! I've been reading this all morning and it has given me new courage to tackle RoP! The detail in this game looks like heaven.

Good luck to both sides.

Thank you very much. It is appreciated.
I believe it is partly AGEod's fault if RoP is not as popular as it could be : the manual is poorly done, not up-to-date at all and the tutorial only covers a small part of the complexity of the game.

Last edited:
This post reminds me my first ROP Pbem game against Austria one year ago Narwhal. My opponent experienced with age engine was very slowly attacking Minden with 6-7 corps concentrated under the command of Broglie. I was well defeated and fall back with even brilliant Ferdinand. That should have "infected" my playstyle. :D

But with lack of replacements generally, leaders are more reliable in long term.

About job: I advise to find one in Barcelona, wonderfull city :)

Last edited:
A Frenchman in Vienna? Impossible! 300 years of Habsburg and Bourbon rulers are rolling in their graves.

Hope you find a new job soon. Dozens of beginners (not including me; I just like reading AARs) will miss this primer.

Part LVI –Early April 1759 – Counter-attack !

Early April 1759, I am clearly the player with the initiative. I am now going to retake what was once mine.

First, it is my assault on Hannover !

Counterattack.jpg

Brunk’s cavalry is going directly on Minden, while Norman’s small dragon unit is going to get military control from the province between Hannover and Minden.
The French have retreated, so Hannover should be (re)taken easy-peasy.

In Silesia, Ferdinand is moving against Schweidnitz :

Takingwhatismine.jpg

If I recover this city, Hannover and Minden, the situation will be just like the beginning of 1758… with more dead Austrians.

On the other fronts, the situation has not changed much :

Kassel : still under siege. I am trying to cut the supply line, but I don’t hope much from this.

Kassel.jpg

East Prussia : still no Russian attack – even though I saw some moves.

Newthreat.jpg

My bateaux are coming in and out, as the supply output of Königsberg is just a little below what I need.

Sweden : No change… for now.

North-1.jpg

And finally, the one you are waiting for – the siege :

Otherattempttobreach.jpg

Another unsuccessful attempt by Von Daun to break the siege.

Someresupply.jpg

Due to the previous turn (winter), I am almost out of supply myself, so Frederick is going to go fetch some more supplies :

Also note that the enemy columns are still in no position to help Von Daun.

you seem very optimistic ... from reading this aar since the beginning, does that not mean a major shift of fortune is about to happen then?

From the moment I saw I would recover Hannover, I would be much more optimistic. At that point, I have a huge NM advantage over my opponent, so I knew I was going to win most battles. It looked like for me that 1759 would be my year (it would - to an extent).

From the upbeat mood of the update, which loki has alluded to, and also reading this line from yourself;

It looked like for me that 1759 would be my year (it would - to an extent).

It seems as if things are going rather well. The Austrian position does seem quite precarious, hopefully you can force home your seeming advantage.

Part LVII –Late April 1759 – Von Daun moved out
On that fateful day of 15th april 1759, Von Daun decided he had enough of being trapped in a fort. He decided to do something to solve the situation :

Move out.

Theyjustmovedaway.jpg

And it worked…

Now the reason why it worked I don’t know. In any other instance I know, even if the besiegers are in defensive position, you HAVE to fight them to evacuate a siege (light infantry / indians can sometimes escape). Not this time.
I did some testing. In option, the “delay before battles” had no impact. If I put one of my army on the “offensive” stance, though, battle ensues, Von Daun is beaten and is back in his trap.

So it is. I give my troops the order to go back to Saxony.

Letthemrun.jpg

My next objective will be to free Kassel – once again. I don’t expect the Austrian to attack again in 1759.

For this reason, I am quite confident in my siege of Schweidnitz :

Takeitback.jpg

I am in luck ; Kassel is holding well :

Kassel-1.jpg

Finally, in Hannover, no combat – the enemy retreated in front of me. Bremen is breached, though.

Hannover.jpg

Also – I took Guadeloupe from the French !

Guadeloupeismine.jpg

Thinks are looking good, especially with conquests of far flung lands against your enemy. However this still gives me pause for thought;

I did some testing. In option, the “delay before battles” had no impact. If I put one of my army on the “offensive” stance, though, battle ensues, Von Daun is beaten and is back in his trap.

So if you put no one in your besieging army to an offensive stance, the units trapped within the besiegement can just walk out? That seems rather strange to put it mildly. Perhaps it only works for von Daun though, he is showing his remarkable ability once more!

One thing I'm noticing that is really different from AACW is the lack of single cavalry units running around to scout the enemy. Since I'm used to doing that when I played the demo for RoP I pretty much used every single hussar unit as a single unit just for scouting.

Is it not that important in RoP or do you just don't show us these moves because they aren't that important to the big picture. :)

Again congratulations on your AAR, it measures up to Banks vs Soundoff AAR for AACW in quality and showcasing the gameplay. I've always been a bit reluctant to get RoP, but you changed my mind.

So if you put no one in your besieging army to an offensive stance, the units trapped within the besiegement can just walk out? That seems rather strange to put it mildly. Perhaps it only works for von Daun though, he is showing his remarkable ability once more!

That is probably because of how region control works. If during a siege both sides are set on defensive by players - then neither one is forced to go on an offensive stance by the game during turn resolution (as it is when forces on devensive enter a region controlled by the opponent) - besieging forces because they have the military control advantage and the besieged because they control the region.

One thing I'm noticing that is really different from AACW is the lack of single cavalry units running around to scout the enemy. Since I'm used to doing that when I played the demo for RoP I pretty much used every single hussar unit as a single unit just for scouting.

Is it not that important in RoP or do you just don't show us these moves because they aren't that important to the big picture. :)

Well hussars and cossacks are important in getting info on enemy movements and spreading your military control (as they have a high police stat) but in RoP you have to be rather careful in their usage because cav replacements are few and far between, it's hard to gather resources necessary to build new ones (manpower for prussia and money for austria) and their destruction can cause NM loss.

Part LVIII –Early May 1759 – Charge on Bremen !

Early May 1759 is a fairly calm turn :

The only “action” was yet one more probe attack in Königsberg. It did not go well for the Russians.

Vainattempt.jpg

But a 1:2 kill ratio is quite ok for Russia, especially given the Russian NM – but Baris does not insist.

Not much else happened ; here is the global situation :

Allfrontsmap-1.jpg

In Silesia (1), Ferdinand breached the city he is sieging. I also allocate him 2 leaders I just received.

Commandreinfor.jpg

In Saxony (2), Frederick, Wurthenau, Bevern and Gransby are rushing to Kassel, which is still – not – breached.

ToKassel.jpg

Will Kassel resists a third siege ? Maybe ! But I need 3 turns for two columns to arrive, and 1 more turn for my full army to arrive.

Finally, I decide to take a risk to “save” Bremen (3) :

Risktaking.jpg

As you can see, Bremen has two breaches, and it is most probably going to be assaulted (actually – it can be assaulted at one breach, due to the fortress “only” being level one, but Baris forget that). My cavalry is going to attack the enemy, using the fact that they will – ptobably – switch in assault mode and thus lose their defense. The ground is clear, the weather is good, the enemy NM is very low – ideal conditions for cavalry. I am pretty sure I can retake Bremen the turn it is taken.

Finally, as a bonus, the final death toll of the Saxony campaign :

CompteFinal.jpg

Last edited:
I ll post a F5 screen next turn, by the way.

That's some really impressive statistics there, especially the small amount of 6 elements you lost compared to enormous 257 Austrian. Nadasdy should hang for that ;).

I will soon start statistics on the campaign of Hannover ;)

Part LIX –Late May 1759 – A glorious charge !

As expected, Bremen was taken :

I have to admit the British garrison resisted to the last : the superior enemy needed no less than 2 assault to take Bremen !

FallofBremen1.jpg

FallofBremen2.jpg

12 elements lost (no big deal – they were fixed anyway), the city captured with its guns and supplies, 3 NM lost, no more British reinforcement. That’s a bad news. But my cavalry is coming/

And a few days later :

BattleOfBremen.jpg

Victory ? Defeat ? Tough to say. I had to retreat, and did not cause significantly more losses to the enemy in term of men… but those 20 or so elements destroyed (the front line guys, I suppose) are probably tough for Baris personal morale. Still, this battle is more a defeat than a victory for me : first I lost 3554 cavalrymen, which are better than the soldiers he lost, second I did not take Bremen, and third… Brunk is now out of supply and will lost men next turn.
Right now, he has 10 158 men… we will see how many men survived next turn. For now I evacuate to Stade, North of Bremen.

EvacuationtoStade.jpg

In Hannover, with 2 breaches, I know the city will be mine again.

Hannover-1.jpg

As you can see, Von Zastrow is West of Hannover. I had sent him the previous turn to clean some French column in the area :

Skirmish-1.jpg

Despite the small size of Chevert’s column – and his poor stats – not much damage for either side. I blame the weather, which was horrible.

Finally, I am still rushing to Kassel – which is – still – not – breached (and not even low on supply due to the huge stocks I had there).

FreeingKassel.jpg

As you can see, I messed up with the orders at the previous turns and Bevern did not move.

Here is the beginning of the Excel summing up the campaign of France :

Bilan1.jpg

Not good, but of course it is only the beginning.

Finally, as promised :

Aspromised.jpg

Good overall – I have an absolutely huge advantage in VP. I believe Baris might have been heavy on promoting undeserving generals…

looking at that last screenshot, you're getting near to victory .. you have all the strategic towns you need & if you can grab a set of objectives in Bohemia then its all yours?

I find it reassuring that even someone with your skill with the game can forget/mess up orders .. it is such a challenge to remember to actually do what you originally planned to do in this system