+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deleting saved game files?

Victoria 2

Deleting saved game files?

How do i delete saved games? I did it from the game folder but they still show up in the game.

Master of Procrastination ScarcticCG's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    Lead and GoldMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Reino Español View Post
    How do i delete saved games? I did it from the game folder but they still show up in the game.
    If you bought it off gamers gate, there's two versions of the asave games folder. One is in the folder you installed it to, and the other is in a strabnge place that I can only ever findwith a windows search.

Manos, the Hands of Fate Freebot's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If you using Windows Vista or 7, the "strange place" is inside a hidden folder so you'll have to adjust from the default windows settings to be able to navigate to it. Starting from root, it should be users/yourusername/appdata/local/virtualstore/Program Files (x86)/Paradox Interactive/Victoria 2/save games

Instructions for viewing hidden files and folders under Windows 7 can be googled.
    I survived until the seventh day in Werewolf III: Apocalypse Howl, but all I got was this lousy line to put in my signature!

is that something that can be changed with a patch? I could never understand why Paradox had this strange policy of not allowing you to delete save files from the game itself...
    Íåìöåâ òîëüêî ëåíèâûé íå áèâàë. Only the lazy did not defeat the Germans.
    -War and Peace

Can your heart stand the shocking facts of the true story of grave robbers from outer space?
    -Plan 9 from Outer Space

What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again.
    -Dirk Diggler

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by webbrave View Post
    is that something that can be changed with a patch? I could never understand why Paradox had this strange policy of not allowing you to delete save files from the game itself...
    EDIT: Disregard what I said earlier.

Why write methods for removing files from within the game when can just as well do it with your file manager of choice?
    OP = original poster

TS = transport stream

Another thing, soldier have morale, clergy are moral, well hopefully at least.

Hopefully this is cleared up now.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by ferrelas View Post
    Why write methods for removing files from within the game when can just as well do it with your file manager of choice?
    This. Mucking around with files is the job of the operating system, not a job a game should do.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Manos, the Hands of Fate Freebot's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

From what I've heard, this strangeness is the result of installing under the Program Files directory in Windows 7 or Windows Vista. If true, it would be nice to at least change the default installation path like c:/Paradox Interactive or something. I imagine that the less computer savvy have tremendous difficulty finding the save games as things stand now. Don't worry, I reserve my ire for Microsoft on this one.
    I survived until the seventh day in Werewolf III: Apocalypse Howl, but all I got was this lousy line to put in my signature!

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Freebot View Post
    From what I've heard, this strangeness is the result of installing under the Program Files directory in Windows 7 or Windows Vista. If true, it would be nice to at least change the default installation path like c:/Paradox Interactive or something. I imagine that the less computer savvy have tremendous difficulty finding the save games as things stand now. Don't worry, I reserve my ire for Microsoft on this one.
    Yes, with Vista/Win7, it's a good idea to not install the game to C.\Program Files. C:\Games or something is a good alternative.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

That's odd. I have windows 7, but my save games only save in the Vic 2 folder. The folder you specified doesn't exist. The virtualization folder is empty.

EDIT: Just for info, I have UAC disabled and I only install in C:\Games.

+ Reply to Thread