• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enewald - You could think that when CK was developed the Civil Wars were created to be the biggest part of the game.

mayorqw - A pretender has to have some perks. :p And not on my watch it won't. Something else will happen. ;)

RGB - This is a deeply catholic Scotland that... Ah, forget it. There's no explaning some things in CK. Like the the Archbishop of Norway and Sweden who also happens to be Pope. I swear I hadn't had a game yet in which Norway wasn't an archbishopric 50 years into the game. I blame the modding. ;)

I swear I hadn't had a game yet in which Norway wasn't an archbishopric 50 years into the game.

It's not that I'm as anti-clerical as all that; Norway as ruled by Priest-Princes doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the idea that a SINGLE Prince-Bishop can rule ALL of this geographically disunited and naturally fractitious country. Same for Scotland.

Britain plunged into a civil war? Surely not - we're such a unified people after all...

*coughs*

Nice update - even though I've been away from ages its good to see that your world is as fractious as ever!

RGB - Well, technically he is an Archbishop. Prince-Bishop sounds cooler, and I can't really imagine an Archbishop rulling a country the size of Scotland. He's something along the lines of a duke.

Iain Wilson - Sure you are. ;p Nice to have you back in the AARland!

Update... Today?! Yes, today. Sorry for the shortness. The next one will probably finish up the war so expect much more.

Last edited:
Banner.png

The Civil war would be the undoing of the Brythonic Empire. The feudalism that Nero himself reinforced by signing Magna Carta was now one of the main reasons the Isles were embroiled in war. Never did the thought of Civil War cross the Kings mind when the document was made, and now he found himself with little to no backing from his vassals. The ones that didn't rise in outright rebellion against him that is. Soon after the fall of Ireland, Iceland severed relations with the King and a Republic alike to the Italian ones was proclaimed. Nero eager to rid himself of distant territories and 'unneeded' vassals released both Ireland and Iceland ,where he held no territories, from their oath. The Emerald Isle, Iceland and the Faroes left the Empire.

In the third year of the Civil War, the Bretwalda took his small forces west, to Exeter, where he planned to wait for reinforcements in the shape of mercenaries Steward Winterthur was to direct to the Royal Army. Vassals weren't even taken into consideration. Nero finally accepted that in this war, he was alone. Slowly, the Royal Forces started to organize and the war stagnated before the move Nero was bound to make.

CivilWar-3.jpg

Britannia embroiled in war
1207 Anno Domini

And he did. The Kings first step to reclaiming Britannia was taking the city of Bristol. After a few minor skirmishes with local forces, the city was under siege and after a month it was back in royalist hands. The Usurper was still nowhere to be seen. Nero decided to move on to the Midlands, hoping that taking back England would bring him support with the nobles. Hope was one of the few things he still had. But it would be there that he would lose it.

Well - this is giving you something to do beside watch the Mongols :p

I like the red on the Isle of Bute; it's probably just large enough to merit say, 50 armed men?

It's a great map in its simplicity, and it's very accurate. What's the base you're using? It could, however, benefit from some labels. Just IMO.

Iceland? Who needs 'em anyway, but Bristol is another matter.

AllmyJames - The best way to occupy yourself in CK when you're at least a 100 years into the game are dynasty watches. It's fun to find out the king of Denmark has blood of El Cid flowing through him. ;)

Iain Wilson
- The favourite passtime of european kings. Beating down on your own people.

RGB - Every man counts! I admit I completely forgot about labels when I was making it. I need to start making maps seperate from updates, most of the maps are rushed as it is now. The base I'm using is from the Western Europe Map Mod which has been converted into Mappa Regnum. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Edcobban/map2.png - This is the one I'm using at the moment and I couldn't find the link for the British Isles only one but I'm sure Fiftypence has them around somewhere so you could ask him.

Enewald
- How can you dislike CK?! And I can bet the AI in CK will be better than the one in CKII. I'm sure of it.

Story Book update explaining the update under this post tommorow. It's only fair I give you two updates after such a long time. ;)

Last edited:
Banner.png

They called him 'Achilles'. 'The Undefeatable'. 'Invincible'. And they were right to think so. He was Alexander D'Iseldreg, son of the late Eric D'Iseldreg. He was the true heir to the throne of England and he was the only leader from the Isles who never lost a battle. The Heretic Nero tried as hard as he could to get the upper hand in the Midlands but he couldn't. He was forced to give up Scotland, just because of him, the true Lion of the battlefield. He alone kept the Royalist forces at bay for all those years as everything around fell. Including his cowardly father who sold him off to the Heretic just to save his neck from the noose. Alexander spat on the mud covered floor of the inn and groaned when he realised he was waiting for his ale far too long than he should've.

'Wench! Where is my bloody ale?!' He bellowed as he tried to find a better position on the chair.

A few moments passed in silence before he realised the room was empty. It wasn't empty when he sat down. And it wasn't empty when he drunk his ninth mug. He would have lunged for the floor if it wasn't for the arrow that was sticking out of him. The bloody thing had to hit his one sensitive spot. He gurgled a few words before everything went black.

'Here's the signet.' He said as he laid a golden ring on the desk.

'Splendid.' The older man examined the ring and put it away after he was done. 'Here is your money. 20 pieces of silver, A small bonus because this bastard was a terrible annoyance on the roads.' He gave a small leather purse to the younger one.

'Do you have any more bounties?' He asked as he pocketed the small purse. 'I could use some more work.'

'No. And it's perfect that way.' The man smiled and leaned back in his chair. 'But if you don't mind a journey, you could go west to Caernarvon. They're bound to have lots of work for the kinds of you.'

'Very well. Let us hope we won't see each other again, sheriff.' The man turned around and left the room leaving the sheriff alone in his office.

Some would call him a bandit, but he was more of a guard. He was one of the bounty hunters that sprung up all over England after the fall of D'Iselbreg at the end of the Civil War. Even though the kingdom lost more than half of its lands, the outlaw problem was bigger than ever. At first there was plenty of money in killing or capturing the leftover traitors scattered around England. So much that he decided to leave the Welshmen and the army even though he knew nothing beside it. Then, after a few months, even more sprung up. When the king rewrote the Magna Carta the nobles simply refused to accept the new laws. Only three or four families beside the Angleterres kept their noble status and stayed at the kings side. Lots of new outlaws to hunt. The nobles ran after their fiefs were confiscated by the Wardens ,who were becoming an equivalent of secret police, and someone had to capture them. And finally almost a year after the war when his highness went mad and declared the Anglican Church to be the only church for the English. Forced conversions and pledges of loyalty of every single person living in the kingdom was a little worrying, even for a greedy bastard like himself. But there were no alternatives really. You either convert or die by the royal sword. Nevertheles, thing were going well for him and he made quite a name for himself truth be told. Robin of Gisbourne, the Bounty Hunter, was known all over England. 'The Black Welshman' they called him. Bringing death with the tips of his arrows. He enjoyed the name, hence the black leathers he dressed in. And the hood, you can't forget the famous hood. And now he was going back to Wales. It couldn't be much worse than 2 years ago, could it?

Robin.jpg

Robin of Gisbourne

Last edited:
Haha, Robin of Gisbourne. Walter Scott must be very confused. And he's the Black Welshman, two minorities in one? AND HE's a NINJA! I think you have the ultimate combo-character right there.

Nice to see you back on the forums and writing again.

RGB - He's not really a welshman. :p But yeah, he is the ultimate badass.

mayorqw
- Can't even if I wanted to seeing as Paradox controls everything made on the forums. But hey, maybe they'll send something my way after they earn millions. :D

Iain Wilson - Thx, hopefully I'll be writing more frequently nowadays.

Enewald
- Oh shush. :p It's not like I made that on purpose. :D

And here goes the story book update.

Banner.png

The war was a stalemate, and the Royalists managed to push for victory only after Nero finally gave up Scotland to Archbishop Pepin, who has removed himself from the front and started to rule from behind the throne as a king was elected from the nobles, gaining the forces that were tied up in the north. D'Iselbreg put up a valiant fight but he lost so now, everyone knows him by a prism of English propaganda. Valorous, pious and honorable, he fell to the forces of Nero who was growing paranoid with each passing day. When his main forces were annihilated in Warwickshire after recalling his son back to Wales proper, which is considered the worst action of his reign, the Prince of Wales surrendered to Nero hoping that the king would act as a knight everyone thought him to be. Edric D'Iseldreg was promptly beheaded in a public spectacle in London.

Soon after the victory, in early 1213, Nero rewrote the Magna Carta and burned the original. The new document centralised the power of the king and limited the role of the nobles so much that they held no real power in the nation anymore. What's more, no noble could control more than two counties as to prohibit them gaining any kind of power. The royal demesne was firmly established as the whole south of England, from Cornwall to East Anglia. What's more, it was demanded from the nobles to double their taxes towards the crown. The taxes were lowered to a little over their pre-war status after the establishment of the Anglican Church.

Aftermath.jpg

Administrative division of the English Kingdom

Ah, yes. The Anglican Church. Established on 19th of December, 1213 Anno Domini, by king Nero I de Anglléterre, it was a groundbreaking event that isolated England from Catholic Europe for over 50 years. The king denounced Pope Celestine III and established himself as the head of a new church and the represantitive of Christ on Earth for all under his rule. His first act was to, of course, denounce the practice of excommunications. One would think the kingdom would've erupted in rebellion at such news. But after 10 years of war, massive revokation of rights for all parts of the society and complete dominance of the king over everything in the realm, there was none. 2 years of forced conversions passed in England, all major cities were closed until every single person converted and sworn loyalty to the king. Soon, all of England was officialy Anglican. In all spheres of life in England, there was one authority. The king.

Last edited:
Gloria Angliae Rex, Fons Pietatis!

Early Anglicanism is pretty...bold.