• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am really looking forward to the new version :D

Long time no update. I actually had to login to my Photobucket account this time. Anyway, I've got some Gaulish flags for you.

2009-11-26-1.jpg

The integration of map and flag colour is a nice touch :)

I've done some work on Gallia and Hispania.
provinces-1.jpg

The list below shows the updated province list.
Code:
1 Selinus
2 Panormus
3 Acragas
4 Henna
5 Gela
6 Melita
7 Syracusae
8 Catana
9 Zancle
10 Rhegium
11 Locri
12 Crotona
13 Consentia
14 Sybaris
15 Siris
16 Tarentum
17 Brundusium
18 Butuntum
19 Potentia
20 Poseidonia
21 Canusium
22 Maleventum
23 Cumae
24 Capua
25 Bovianum
26 Luceria
27 Larinum
28 Corfinium
29 Privernum
30 Tusculum
31 Roma
32 Veii
33 Reate
34 Interamnia
35 Firmum
36 Spoletium
37 Volsinii
38 Tarquinii
39 Populonium
40 Arretium
41 Sena
42 Ariminum
43 Faesulae
44 Volaterrae
45 Pisae
46 Genua
47 Clastidium
48 Parma
49 Mutina
50 Bononia
51 Patavium
52 Altinum
53 Aquileia
54 Pola
55 Taurisci
56 Helvetii
57 Verona
58 Brixia
59 Mediolanum
60 Hasta
61 Taurasia
62 Allobroges
63 Albingaunum
64 Mariana
65 Alalia
66 Tibula
67 Olbia
68 Macopsissa
69 Tharros
70 Sulcis
71 Caralis

72 Nicaea
73 Antipolis
74 Telo
75 Massilia
76 Vocontii
77 Arelate
78 Nemausus
79 Arecomisci
80 Agatha
81 Narbo
82 Tectosages
83 Emporiae
84 Gerunda
85 Barcino
86 Lacetani
87 Tarraco
88 Dertosa
89 Etovissa
90 Ilercavones
91 Saguntum
92 Valentia
93 Dianum
94 Contestani
95 Lucentum
96 Ebesus
97 Palma
98 Mago
99 Mastia
100 Baria
101 Bastetani
102 Abdera
103 Sexi
104 Malaca
105 Astigi
106 Turdetani
107 Gades
108 Carteia

That's a lot of provinces! Very impressive work.

My only concern would be that the line of coastal provinces really restricts the amount of manoeuvring you can do. You have a choice of either securing the inland tribal areas, or moving either forward or backwards. It just feels like it makes warfare along the cost very two-dimensional.

Do you plan on splitting up the inland areas a little more? That could at least partially mitigate the problem. Are you going to extend a little more inland as well?

Victory! I finally got the new map working. :) Btw, Cheexsta: I don't think it's a problem if "you have a choice of either securing the inland tribal areas, or moving either forward or backwards". Wasn't that the strategic situation during the Second Punic War?

Anyway, here's a screenie of the new map.
2010-01-25.jpg

Nice work Descartes! I am looking forward to fighting a Punic War with your Mod, maybe the most exiting Paradox experience ever...

Now to get in the debate, I agree on your take on inland provinces... except that I think a "third" layer of really large provinces, with maybe some smaller ones with ore, would make sense. Rationale for it is that during the barcid period, the Carthaginian penetration in Iberia was deeper than simply the coast and immediate hinterland. Mostly because of mines to be found there, who were important in funding the war.

Yes, looking really nice.

About the Iberian layers, my thoughts are:

1st Punic War: a third layer is probably not relevant

Carthaginian Conquest of Spain: More depth would definately help. Tribes to consider would be Orissi, Olcades and Carpetani (perhaps (s)Edetani)

2nd Punic War: Third layer perhaps only in some instances. Two inland tribes that come to mind are the Celtiberians and Ilergetes. The Celtiberians launched attacks on Carthaginian Spain and provided mercs to the Romans. The Illergetes generally sided with the Carthaginians lead by Indibils (Andaboles).

I understand what you mean, but I'm afraid I'll have to stick to my concept here. The idea is to make a map that focuses on the Mediterranean region. This means Greek and Phoenician city states along the coast, and the tribes they traded and fought with. During the last part of the period covered by the mod, Iberia did play an important role, but for the most it was just a coast that the Greeks and Phoenicians sometimes bothered to colonize. The Carthaginians didn't care much about the Iberian tribes before the Barcids conquered the South. Even then, they never controlled much more than the area covered by my current map.

Personally, I think the Second Punic War can be well modelled even without a third layer of provinces. The route of hannibal's march, as well as Scipio's, is within the boundaries of my current map. Hasdrubal did have a little adventure outside these boundaries, but his march wasn't very interesting anyway. Or rather, it became interesting when he was defeated by Scipio, but Baecula is luckily within my boundaries.