• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ach well ... both of us wrong - Mussolini obviously has a secret fetish for cheddar cheese instead ;)

Yep. Ain't no threat like British cuisine. :D

Well it's certainly true that most British cuisine could be used as a weapon of war. :p

You certainly seem to have this all planned out. Of course, no plan survives contact with the enemy, so we'll also get to see where they fail and how you've planned for that... :)

loki100: Yep! :D

The Balbinater: That means Italy should have been better. ;)

Gladiator: Barbarossa is still eight months away. That's plenty of time. :p

Sokraates: Hopefully, the prelude to global warfare. :p

loki100: :p

billy bob: Victory, whoo! :D

Sokraates: Indeed! I should know, living here. :p

Judas Maccabeus: Hehe, my plans are pretty simple. "There's the objective, here's our army. Go." Still, the simplest plans are best. ;)

Stuyvesant: Yep, should be fun. :D

Just saw this AAR and read it in its full length.... Fantastic.... looking forward to the next installment of the Italian story.

Is two divisions really going to be enough to take the Rock?!

I did a double take when I saw that too, but there is only one garrison brigade there. The last time I took Gibraltar, as nationalist spain, it was a bloody 2 month fight vs no less than 58 defending brigades. I had about 48 brigades attacking in shifts -- stacking penalty worked in my favor.

Hah. Fascist propoganda. Italy is not seeking to defeat the U.K., she is merely trying to wrest temporary control of the Med away....

I do also wonder of the wisdom of sending a mere four battalions of infantry against the most impregnable piece of landscape in the world.

Still, as a fellow Italianophile, I must admit a mix of awe and jealousy. My Italian games pale in comparison to this epic.

Thanks for the excellent AAR. Keep up the good work!

-- Beppo

Well it's certainly true that most British cuisine could be used as a weapon of war.

I do also wonder of the wisdom of sending a mere four battalions of infantry against the most impregnable piece of landscape in the world.

-- Beppo

These two issues might be connected - after all the food on Gibralter is notoriously bad - maybe myth is trying to minimise the suffering and distress of his troops by limiting their exposure to such horrors?

womble: I hope so! :p

KimSand: Awesome, welcome aboard! :D

quetzilla: That sounds like carnage. :eek:

Beppo: Hehe, Gibraltar isn't the most impregnable place in the world. Rome is! :p

loki100: That's exactly it. :D

Pier: Not at the moment. If my plan works, Malta will fall like a ripe pear. :p

Vann the Red: Thanks! And yes, it hopefully is. :D

I'll try to have an update for tomorrow evening!

quetzilla: That sounds like carnage. :eek:

It was nothing compared to the 2.5 year battle over Hainan between Japan and Guangxi... Japan ended up winning and about a hundred of their units had something like 80+ experience. They still would have failed miserably finishing guangxi off because of puppet supply craziness in 1.2 (they had already puppeted Nationalist China, but were still at war with a very large Communist China) -- if not for my help :p.

quetzilla: Your games certainly have bloody long battles. :eek:

I'll try for that update tonight, guys!

The Year Italy Joined the World War
Part 11: Operations Hercules and Caesar Augustus, October 3 – October 16, 1940

The period of the first two weeks of October coincided with the beginning of the world war for Italy. As had been previously explained, Italy had been prepared for war with Britain and when hostilities began Italy launched two operations: Hercules, to take Gibraltar, and Caesar Augustus, to take Egypt. It is during these first two weeks that Hercules meets its fate, and Caesar Augustus reveals whether it was likely to succeed or fail.

Gibraltar could only be taken by a land attack. Throughout all the wars of the grand siècle between France, usually with Spain arrayed beside it, and Britain, never had Gibraltar fallen to a naval attack. During the War of American Independence, the Rock had been besieged for years, but had held defiant in the face of the French and Spanish. This was something Mussolini wanted to avoid. Thus the intervention in Spain three years previously, which had established for Italy a hold on southeastern Spain sufficient enough to allow for operations against Gibraltar. Mussolini knew full well that the minor western beachhead would not take many troops; this is why he limited it to only two divisions, four brigades. This was, however, believed to be sufficient: given that the British defenses were manned by only a single brigade, this gave the Italians a four-to-one superiority, better than the three-to-one superiority required to push through a successful attack, an old rule of thumb.

054-01-BattleforGibraltar.jpg

The battle for Gibraltar in its opening stages.

And so the attack began, with Spanish units nearby watching, perhaps the more historically-minded men watching with jealousy. The attack began only slowly, with the Italians making little progress. They fought persistently, however and were eventually rewarded for their efforts. They fought across fortifications and through tunnels for ten whole days before finally emerging through onto the other side and seeing the Straits from the vantage point of controllers. The British had failed to defend the Rock. The western entrance to the Mediterranean had been shut to the British, and to the Allies as a whole. The first step in securing the Middle Sea for Italy had been accomplished. Hercules had met with success.

054-02-GibraltarVictory.jpg

Gibraltar, Italy’s first significant victory against the British.

In the North African deserts, meanwhile, Operation Caesar Augustus had begun. At Ad Diffah, three Italian divisions faced two British divisions and defeated them after ten days of bloodshed that left nearly two thousand British and fourteen hundred Italians dead. To the north, at Sollum, seven Italian divisions faced a single British division. The British were routed in four days with over twelve hundred casualties, Italian losses being slightly higher than a third of that number. With these first desert victories, the chase had begun. The British were trounced again at Sidi Barrani on the 9th. The Italians were pushing ahead rapidly. Along the coast, they actually overtook certain of the fleeing British units. By the 16th, El Dab’a and Ra’s Abu Lahw had fallen. Italian units were pushing on toward Qara and Marsa Matruh, temporarily with not a single British soldier in front of them. The gates to Alexandria had been kicked in and thrown open wide. The desert had become a race course, between the advancing Italians and the retreating British.

054-04-PushingEastward.jpg

Italian units pushing eastward toward Alexandria.

Two weeks into the war, Italy was doing very well for itself. Its two primary defensive objectives were Gibraltar and Suez. They were defensive for they would secure Italy from any hostile strike as long as they were held. Furthermore, they were necessary first steps before the true campaigns of conquest began. The first of these defensive objectives, Gibraltar, had fallen with relatively few casualties. Italy’s western flank had been secured, any British reinforcements that wished to reach the theater of operations were required to sail all the way around Africa before arriving. In the east, the British were on the run and their navy largely impotent to halt the Italian tide eastward. If Italy could keep up its momentum in Egypt, it would quickly crash over the Suez Canal and into the Middle East, securing the other entrance into the Mediterranean and threatening the oil rich regions of Iraq. Thus far, Italy was winning.

Not bad. You only lost 168 men in Gibraltar? Impressive, though I suppose having a massive superiority in numbers will do that. Hopefully the Egypt part continues like that (watch out for that El Alamein spot over on the right-hand side of that picture, by the way, I've heard you could have some trouble there). :p

Ah, Gibraltar and Suez, the testes of the British Med... Both (it would seem) about to be put in a vicelike grip by the Italians... The British better evacuate their fleet now, before it becomes one big floating practice target...

Good job with the Rock and in the sands of Egypt. Be interesting to see what else the Brits have hiding near the Nile - a decent armored division could give your infantry a lot of trouble.

10 days to take Gibraltar? You're lucky you weren't up against a human opponent, who would have reinforced that lone battalion in that time span.

Good work pushing back the Brits in N. Africa. Chase them all the way back to Palestine!

-- Beppo