• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
yep

played about a dozen games as italy in 36 and having the same crap in my game. starving troops, incompetent generals, lack of offense means its a disaster almost every time. ole haile (God of the Rastafarians hehe) flees for his life in may 36 in the alternate universe of real life but cant seem to be made to do it in a dozen tries in this game. hmmmmm.

every time i post on it in the forum all i basically get is "learn to play noob", which i must be the only one on the forum to think as hilarious given a game thats been out only a matter of weeks. who knew that so many experts abounded in such a short matter of time? what they dont say is HOW to make it work.

cant some number-crunching computer nerd somewhere can the "noob" stuff and actually wave his magic-number-crunching-wand and find out whats going on with this?

I have the same problem - in the Demo (still don't have the full game) I hadn't annexed Poland by November, when I quit the game. O.O

Clearly something has changed from HOI2. :D

Cpt Crash: You will see Il Duce's solution to the crisis in the second chapter. :D

The Balbinater: I'm no number cruncher of any sort, my play tends to be far more intuitive than that. However, in my upcoming update I analyze the Abyssinian situation a bit (albeit within the context of my game and role-playing). However, it basically comes down to logistics. There are two ways to deal with that problem. I like my solution which, as I mentioned to Cpt Crash, will be revealed in chapter two. Probably its first update, maybe second. ;)

ColossusCrusher: Yeah, there are a few changes from HoI2. However, I think I'm gradually getting the hang of it, though we'll see once I get involved in a real war. ;)

Update coming up!

The First Year of Renaissance
Part 9: Conclusion

And thus the year 1936 quietly drew to a close for Italy. Little of note occurred in December; no technology was improved, there was no change in Abyssinia, there were no new trade deals nor any new procurements. December was spent just waiting for the new year. It is necessary now to link all the activities and events of the year back to Mussolini’s strategic ideas in a more thorough and holistic way that has been done so far. This is important as it is a transition year; the physical legacies of the old school of thought remained in varying strength, but the ideas of the new strategy began being pushed to the fore with ever increasing strength and confidence even though their physical manifestations were to take a long time yet to materialize.

Abyssinia

Abyssinia was, of course, the most blatant of the legacies of the old school. It was a war that began under Mussolini the showman, the propagandist, rather than Mussolini the calculating strategist. From a hopeful beginning it quickly bogged down into a static frontline and then descended a slope of humiliation as the Abyssinians invaded Somalia and inflicted a sharp defeat on Bennati’s corps, of which only half was saved to fight again another day. Given Mussolini’s ambitions, the performance of the army against a minor African army was most dissatisfying. The faults apparent in this African adventure, however, went deeper than just the army.

The army was not aggressive enough in its operations, of course. This was not due to the performance and doctrine of the soldiers, however, as much as the generals in charge. A quick study reveals that the divisional commanders were universally competent; names such as Tellera, Nicolosi and Giorgis became synonymous with either victories or, in Giorgis’ case, dependency even in the face of incoming defeat. The great fault line of the Italian officer corps in Abyssinia lay at the level of the corps commanders. These were unremarkable men for the most part, neither good nor bad, but among there number were those who were truly incompetent. Moizo demanded an army’s worth of regiments for just his corps; Bennati lost Somalia without lifting a finger to stop it. At the level of army command, Grazioli was competent enough operationally but could not handle his obstinately craven subordinates, whose failures were the root of the campaign’s stalling.

To dig deeper, one will find that the logistical situation was not sufficient. Grazioli’s army in Eritrea consisted of a total of fifty-four regiments including headquarters units, but the port at Ed has a supply throughput sufficient only for a third of that number. This limit was in spite of the skills of Grazioli and many of his subordinates, who were trained logisticians and nearly wizards at the job.

Finally, the greatest mistake was to be there in the first place. Abyssinia had no value. It held little in the way of strategic resources, and was insignificant geostrategically. There was nothing to gain from Abyssinia save combat experience. By this point, however, a retreat was impossible due to the incredible blow such a move would be for both international prestige and the morale of the armed forces, the Regio Esercito in particular. Abyssinia had to be conquered, but then it would simply be abandoned.

The Old Navy Versus the New Navy

The other major strategic issue of the first year was the structure and role of the navy. This was, overall, a more contentious issue than Abyssinia as not only had some flag officers staked their reputations on the success of the old navy but could not accept that the concepts behind the new navy were workable, both for reasons of prestige and strategy. The old guard followed Mahanian theory slavishly, in the vein of the Royal Navy during the First World War. Navies were there to fight big, decisive, mid-ocean battles which would decide who commanded the sea. All the fruits of this command would then fall into the laps of the victors without any further work. Having a wider view of war than did the admirals, Mussolini could not agree with this.

He believed that the era of big warships was waning. Furthermore, the era of big naval battles was passing its zenith. Naval battle would obviously still occur, but no fleet was going to risk its entirety in one battle; naval warfare was to become a campaign like those on land. Naval warfare would cease to be about fighting for and at arbitrary points of sea but would take place in direct relation to operations on land. Fighting on land would define where the battle on the seas will take place, and for what purpose.

Also like those on land, it would be influenced drastically, and even more dramatically than land warfare, by the advent of air power. Given the skyrocketing costs of naval vessels, navies were quickly becoming concentrated into less and less more and more powerful warships. The loss of a single one—due to a stick of explosives from a relatively cheap bomber—would be a major blow to any fleet. Navies required organic air power to counter this threat and indeed to project such a threat onto the hostile fleet, thus making battleships somewhat obsolescent except in exceptional and perhaps unfortunate cases.

Thus the Italian navy began its ponderous shift toward aircraft carriers.

Conclusion

The implications of the deepest lessons of Abyssinia fuse with the direction of the new navy to create a maritime strategy that was intimately linked with geography and all its political and strategic implications. The army was only to be dedicated to fight for regions of sufficient geostrategic value. The navy was only to be dedicated to fight to allow the army to do its job. The air force was to support the other two branches in their endeavors as much as possible, in whichever way it deems best.

In theory it seemed an attractive system. It had yet to be put into practice, however.

Well, hopefully 1937 is a more glorius, prosperus, and victorius year!

Is there any quick way to be able to increase the amount of supplies to can get to your Ethiopian troops?

"Practice" could be as early as November 1938 according to the production queue.

It is certainly time to wrap up the Abyssinian theatre; it has already brought enough shame to the Regio Esercito as things stand. If this war turns out to last two full years, nobody is going to take Italy seriously again.

... but then, maybe there is some profit to be made here. If Mussolini is prepared to take a Machiavellian gamble.

Balbinator, do not dispare (Balbo would not:)). I tried 4 times before I got it. Building up supply at the start and getting the right commanders is the key.

The agressiveness of the Ethiopians can be taken advantage of too-split the command north and south, send mobile troops to the south from Venice, when the south is ready with new forces and an army HQ, let them rip. They might even beat the AoL to Addis Ababba.

Sorry about the interruption Myth, I just hate to see others suffer as I did-when I can help.

Naval Supplies

Note from Vice Admiral Ghe': The navy's going to use lots of fuel, so the nation needs more coal refining and oil refining. At present the chemical engineering level is too low (2.5). I recommend a few years of chemical engineering research to bring that number up to an acceptable level (8-10) before proceeding. (Please don't shoot me :)

thats just it, though. how do you "build up supply"?

the convoy interface doesnt allow for more supplies to be sent. unless i got a glitch in my game...and building another naval base point isnt what i call practical.

Maj. von Mauser: Well I do have that transport plane squadron I mentioned in a much earlier update...:D

Lordban: I'm not sure he's that Machiavellian. :p

Cpt Crash: No worries, no worries. ;)

Valentinan: I'm well aware of the importance of fuel, don't worry. ;)

The Balbinater: I'm not really sure how to deliberately build up supply either. :p

Well I do have that transport plane squadron I mentioned in a much earlier update...:D

I really think you should try that.

Even if it dosen't help much it will show us how it works, and how much it does help. That's assuming it has a proper range.

A promissing future for Benitto's nice Pizza-nation. I am looking forward to see you sail those carrier fleets across the world's oceans and avenge the loss of Somalia.

I think that researching Supply Throughput (or something like that) can help...

Good review on your part for the last year. Interesting how the leaders act so...human, even in AI mode. Its...kinda scary. :eek:

A promissing future for Benitto's nice Pizza-nation.

let me tell you something. italian food is a gift to the ENTIRE world.

all my uppity friends are into sushi. craptastic. sushi is an "acquired" taste. never in my 37 years of life on this earth have i EVER heard of somebody refer to italian food as an acquired taste hehe )))))

besides. pizza is kids food. real italian food.... mmmmm..... molto buono

Maj. von Mauser: I've already played through the next year, so this suggestion is a bit late. Maybe for another war. ;)

Singleton Mosby: Thanks! Carrier fleets should be pretty fun. :D

ColossusCrusher: Yep, though it requires land combat experience for 100%, which I have little of. That's like a 40% penalty to research at least. :p

Enewald: Hopefully a couple years, but we'll see what the future holds. ;)

Jorath13: That, and I inject humanity into the AI in my writing as well. It's still just coldly calculating. It just calculates badly. ;)

The Balbinater: Pizza may be kid's food, but it's still awesome. :D

No update until Wednesday I'm afraid! I'm gonna take one extra day as it's the end of the chapter as a sort of break. Plus I gotta think up a chapter title and partition the next year into parts. :p

thats just it, though. how do you "build up supply"?

I'm just going by what I read that units will build up a 30 day supply-assuming they are getting an adequate amount in their daily shipments. How long this takes is sort of hidden from me at this time as I don't see any actual stocks. All I know is that by letting the divisions in Ereitia sit idle for six weeks at the start of the scenario will give them enough stocks to make a good drive on Addis Ababba. Three weeks might be enough-I have not figured that out yet. From what I experienced in 3 prior attempts; ordering the units to attack on the first day of the scenario opening will result in the whole army languishing for supplies by the time they get two provinces deep into Ethiopia. Scan for some of those good generals-they are in the force someplace-logistics and attack in the north and defense and logistics in the south initially.

the convoy interface doesnt allow for more supplies to be sent. unless i got a glitch in my game...and building another naval base point isnt what i call practical.

Don't need it-unless you've got some real big plans for that part of the Empire.

From what I experienced in 3 prior attempts; ordering the units to attack on the first day of the scenario opening will result in the whole army languishing for supplies by the time they get two provinces deep into Ethiopia.

Aha, so that was what happened.

Of course, I had no problems with that - since I was invading from the south with my militias there as well, all I had to do was connect that invasion to my northern spearhead and suddenly they could be fed from both ports. (Still a lot of them were being badly supported, for sure, but that was bettered by pulling out a lot of militias in the north and placing them in northern Eritrea instead, so they wouldn't pull supplies along bad Ethiopian infrastructure)

Cpt Crash: Pretty interesting. Do we know any cheats, particularly to lift the fog of war? It would be interesting to see what the Italian AI does when left alone to the war.

Nikolai II: Yeah, having a southern thrust would have been awesome. :p