• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For ten days the front stayed quiet. I didn’t know why but the Germans didn’t pursue or continue their attack. The Murmansk line was at their mercy but suddenly the German general had become all cautious. Was he waiting for reinforcements? Was he afraid of overexposing himself? Or did he know three fresh division were rushed in from the south.

IIRC, IRL they had problems with supply - perhaps the AI was waiting for supplies to trickle in?

Since Finland wasent in the war it may be that as soon as they stepped out of Finland their supply line was broken? If you check the tooltip for the battle it would show a penalty if they were low or out of supplies.

In fact if you look at the screenshot there is a little picture of supplies with an exclamation mark on it. Perhapses this shows the Germans were out of supply?

Lend-lease shouldn't be an event to begin with, unless it creates a trade route.

Thought I saw a Lend-Lease event in some screenshot? I might be mistaken though.

Since Finland wasent in the war it may be that as soon as they stepped out of Finland their supply line was broken? If you check the tooltip for the battle it would show a penalty if they were low or out of supplies.

In fact if you look at the screenshot there is a little picture of supplies with an exclamation mark on it. Perhapses this shows the Germans were out of supply?

I think that this is right.

I think you hit the spot here, there is also "encirclement" icon, which doesn't make any sense unless you notice that Germans just obtained single province (their starting position is Finland territory). They are encircled, all right... but by the soviet and finish provinces. :rolleyes:

If it's true, we have pretty nasty bug here. Hope it will get solved in release.

If it's true, we have pretty nasty bug here. Hope it will get solved in release.

I think that Germany lacks military access through Finland (as Finland should declare war to Soviet Union), and when German forces started to attack they were suddenly out of supply. It would make sense that when nation declares limited war, it cannot move its forces through its peaceful allies' provinces.

I think that Germany lacks military access through Finland (as Finland should declare war to Soviet Union), and when German forces started to attack they were suddenly out of supply. It would make sense that when nation declares limited war, it cannot move its forces through its peaceful allies' provinces.

Well, to be sure we would need to test it in game - force FIN into war with SOV and see if the supplies flow, then test the same with FIN out of war, but giving military access for GER.

Anyway, not a big a deal - German attack there, without FIN support was bound to fail, they really lack numbers for anything serious there. Personally, I'm more interested how significantly handcapped are forces fighting in far north - both sides sould pretty much struggle to do any offensive operations because of the supply, terrain and weather conditions.

Interesting conclusion guys and completely correct. Now, from today onwards we will pick up the speed and I will post two or three updates a day!

YES! Just what I needed to hear. Any posts from the Finnish AAR today? :rolleyes:

BTW. Dont know if it has been mentioned but you havnt indexed chapter eighteen

Nope, not yet. You will still get the climatic battle from the Barbarossa AAR and only then I will start on the Finnish one, which will be a tad rushed as the game itself was not that interesting.

Chapter nineteen: “Once more into the breach”, part I

There was a small, little corner on the Eastern Front, which hadn’t seen that much action. So far the Soviet troops defending this stretch of mother Russia had only seen some minor skirmishes. If you had asked them they had thought the war against Germany was like the 1939-1940 “sitzkrieg” on the Western Front. If only they had known how wrong they were.

The Stalin line was almost complete and now was the time to withdraw the forces defending the border. Orders were given but at the moment they were carried out the inevitable happened, the enemy attacked. In the south the Hungarians quickly seized one province after another, tot he west only a little ground was given to the Germans, our quick withdraw would have to be a tedious fighting retreat.

2eclrfs.jpg

During the first week of combat losses mounted, the defence was a costly one and how sad it was we only fought to extract our troops from this corner of the front. If only we had been fighting to hold the line but no, we fought to give it up in the best way possible. Perhaps the historical Stalin was right and we should have attacked. And thus that was what we did in the south, on a small scale however. The Hungarians had to be stalled, as they were the main threat at the moment, not because of superior numbers but because of the positions from which they launched their attacks. We had always thought the Carpathian mountains to be a defensive barrier as strong as an army but apparently......
2mglilj.jpg

The first battles to stall the Hungarians were gloriously won and the bright rays of hope shone on our troops, falling back, fighting and withdrawing, through this far away corner of what was once Poland.
It was not to be this easy however. The first small units were isolated when their route of retreat was cut by enemy panzers.​

16c0v8z.jpg

This was the first disaster on the Southern stretch of the Kiev front but for sure it would not be the last. The pressure, not much a week ago, but building into series of massive punches at our lines became unbearable. Half a million Axis soldiers assailed us. Supplies ran low as the rear echelons were in chaos units now raced to get away from the Germans as quickly as possible. The retreat turned into a rout.​

i2vyc0.jpg

New plans for a retreat were made, plans stamped into the ground while still being in embryonic state. Unrelenting attacks, Luftwaffe bombardments and Hungarian harassments to the south, the front could not stand the pressure and broke.

6fxt7d.jpg

2rfavd2.jpg

Last edited: