• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@ BritishImperial: Thanks much, I'm glad you're enjoying it thus far.

@ Hardraade: Thanks.

@ Enewald: That idea is very fine indeed. If I do decide to do another map as such I will probably Google image it to help things out more. Hopefully you could still make do with simple paint editor.

@ coz1: Thanks. It's great to have one as yourself to comment on my AAR, it gives me much more motivation to continue the 'good' work. I hope you liked it thus far, as Bill and Tom will eventually find themselves in battle against one another, that I'm sure of.

Chapter Two

"Papa! Papa! Papa?" asked Jeb excitedly as he ran into the kitchen waiving a newspaper in the air as he nearly tripped over the rug at the front of the door.

"What is it Jeb?" returned his father with a small face of interest in his son's question.

"There was a massive battle just south of here, at a Tennessee town called, umm... O-N-E-I-D-A."

"Let me see the paper," Mr. Smith said taking the paper from his son who handed it too him. William Smith turned to the pages containing the information of the battle, quickly scanning it; it read: 'Confederate's Draw First Blood.' As there wasn't much on the battle in particular other than Brigadier General Nathaniel Prentice Banks was unable to defeart his counter part, Braxton Bragg in the heat of the conflict, the paper depicted the battle as the first 'tragedy of our times' with Americans fighting Americans. "Just to be the way of the American dream," said Mr. Smith, "a man from New England is the commanding officer of the Union Armies in Tennessee. There is just simply something wrong with that."

Tom got up from his resting place on his bed, "Pa?" he questioned, "When will you allow me to rejoin my regiment?"

"I talked to Captain Hilton, he said you can rejoin when they move out from here. Three or four days, they should send a courier according to the good man, I'll take his word on it."

Jeb jumped up to see if there were any depictions of the battle, he saw nothing and quickly calmed himself down.

"Well Jeb," started his father, "it looks like the old man of America will take to the fields, Winfield Scott."

WinfieldScott.jpg

The old General of the Army, Winfield Scott. Now replaced by President Lincoln for not moving against the Confederate Armies in Virginia.

Two days passed as the Carlisle Family was spending the afternoon over for dinner and Thomas Carlisle and William Smith were engaging in a long and large conversation as dinner was being served.

"All I have to say is the old man was incapable of leading the American armies into Virginia," said Mr. Carlisle to Mr. Smith.

Will replied, "But who shall they replace them with? No other American soldier has any experience in commanding an army. You saw and heard about it first hand with the battle at Oneida. Nathaniel Banks, the New Englander and Don Buell of Ohio got their a** handed to them by Albert Sydney Johnston of the Confederacy. He's old but experienced."

"I don't believe everything I hear in the media."

"And if you were President Lincoln who would you send to take command of the Army?"

"I don't know to be honest. I really don't know many generals, however he does so this man named George Brinton McClellan must be a talented commander."

Mr. Smith answered Mr. Carlisle, "And yet he still sits in front of Washington and doesn't move on the smaller Confederate Army in northern Virginia."

"You shouldn't rush inexperienced men into battle, you of all people should know this since your family has been involved in every war this nation of ours has ever had: The Revolution, 1812, and Mexican-American War. Discipline and experience is more important and defeats overwhelming numbers."

"And you now just solidify my point Tom," said Mr. Smith to his friend. "The rebs are just as inexperienced as the men under McClellan. Now his overwhelming odds should be enough to win the day. Christ! The Confederates have moved their capital and the government to Richmond! This war could be over in a matter of weeks if he'd move out and whip on the main Confederate Army standing in the way to Richmond."

"But what of Johnston's Army of Tennessee. They still have a large number of men and just defeated Banks a week ago."

"They're so far away from Richmond they matter not. Anyways, Banks is rallying his armies and will return into Tennessee with a much larger and more experienced amry than before. Johnston won't stand a chance in a second battle against the Union forces."

"I hope you're right," said Tom Carlisle as he bit into his biscutt, "I hope you're right."

GeorgeMcClellan.jpg

The new commander of the Union Army of Maryland, the newly promoted Major General George McClellan.

The dinner was interrupted when Tom Smith exited his seat, dressed in his full military attache with papers from his company commander telling him that the regiment leaves in the morning, the healed up Tom kissed his tearful mother good-bye with a handshake and hug from not only his father but his younger siblings as well, Jeb being the most emotional.

"When will you be back Tom?" asked Jeb.

"I don't know Jeb," answered Tom.

"Get me a reb will ya?"

"I shall Jeb, the first one will be for you," smiled Tom. He walked to the edge of the kitchen and paused. A tear fell from his eye as he turned about to look at his family and the Carlisle's who were also tearing up. He took a deep breathe and stood straight up and saluted his family and was quick to turn about and march out of his home into the countryside. From their kitchen window all could see a proud but sad Union soldier march off into war, a war pitting father against son, and brother against brother.

Mrs. Smith left the kitchen with Abigal and Mrs. Carlisle to comfort her as she cried away as her son left.

Mr. Carlisle looked back at Mr. Smith with some of the kids still at the table. "Well Mr. Evan Harris is starting up a stir in town hall."

"Is he really?"

"He's calling for a Confederate uprising in this town of ours. Says that they fight for liberty and equality and if the Union wins our lives and lifestyle will be endangered."

"Mr. Harris is messed up in the head. He's nothing but a drunken English fool who knows nothing of America as us Americans do."

"He is infact Irish I believe," corrected Mr. Carlisle.

"Irish or not, that European has no business messing with American business. Regardless of him being in Tennessee and therefor being an American himself, he knows nothing of this country other than the typical thought by all men. That being the 'American Dream.' "

Both fathers became relaxed as Mr. Smith looked out the window to see if he could have one more glimpse at his son, nothing. He stood up, "If you excuse me Tom I would like to comfort my wife at this moment."

Another good update. I liked the discussion that the two men were having about the war. I can imagine how sad Tom would have to be knowing that he might face his own brother across a battlefield someday.

So McClellan gets his command. Will he ever do anything with it, I wonder? I think Mr. Smith had a point.

Sad to see Tom go but he's old enough to decide his fate. Things will likely get worse before they get better.

Banks versus Bragg - I suppose there was only one way that particular battle was going to end. Good battle posts too.

Looks like the family divide has become a veritable chasm.

@ Hardraade: Thanks, I don't think Tom should think of that moment at the time being at least. It could effect his combat effectivness. But it is still human nature as I myself would be sad knowing that day could come.

@ Enewald: It is the way the lord wanted it I guess? LOL!

@ coz1: Indeed, things won't get any better any time soon. As for McClellan, too much time may cost him his command as it did Scott.

@ stnylan: Bragg had the battle won before it even began, not really but Bragg vs. Banks probably had one outcome and one outcome only, a Confederate victory. The family has truly become a "House Divided."

Chapter Two

"And I say too you my brothers and sisters, you above all others shall rise with me and do what is godly and lawful! Tomorrow we hold in our hands the greatest chance of hope that we will ever have, and I say you must do the right! As succession has swept through the south, now the moment falls upon you and I of this beloved county and town of ours. Look out in the fields and you will see your dying brothers and cousins fighting for the Confederacy! The love of our homeland! Our nation! Our brotherland! Our rightful lands, which lie not in this decaying Union in Washington but the rising power in Richmond. The finale in this is our vote. For tomorrow we vote to succede or stay in the Union, and by all God's means we need to vote to leave the Union!"

Mr. Smith looked from the crowds in the center of town giving rousing applause to a one Mr. Evan Harris giving his ecentric speech of succession against the United States of America. A band began to play from behind as Mr. Harris began moving into the climax of his speech. William Smith could only look on in horror as the sweet talking Irish-American was brainwashing the crowd in front of him to move towards succession from the Union.

He looked to his friend Tom Carlisle, "Well, it appears as if Harris has them eating from the palms of his hands."

"I must agree, it is disgusting that a man like himself could brainwash hundreds to vote for succession. Do they not know that Kentucky would then be occupied by Union forces under Banks and Buell among others if the state does in fact succede?"

"They musn't."

The elderly Mrs. Harper came up from he seat on a rocking chair on the porch of a nearby general store and she came to Mr. Smith, tapping him on the shoulder with a smile, "Tom! It is so good to see you again. You don't visit much anymore."

"Ah, Mrs. Harper. You never fail on bringing a smile to me face," said Mr. Smith to the elderly woman.

"Can you believe this man? He talks of nothing but heresy and treason."

"Well," said Mr. Smith, "at least some people are still smart in this town."

~ "And I say! I say! That the dawn of a new world is upon us! God has lent his hand down from heaven and guides the brothers of the South against the devil's hand in Washington! By the Grace of God, do what is right! Succession is the only godly and rightful thing to do!" Mr. Harris opened his arms wide as he finished his speech. The majority of the crowd exploted in awe and applause for their own store owner and influencial man of the court. Mr. Harris made his way down from his pedastol and began to surf throught the crowd that patted him on the back and was eager to shake his hand. The successionist leader could only smile and shake hands as he made his way towards Mr. Smith.

In the streets the band began to play the tune "Dixieland" as a parade of men and boys began down the main street, gathering much attention as the moved in. The Confederate Rally had became a Confederate affair with the parade of Pro-Confederate children and men.

Pro-ConfederateMarch.gif

Mr. Harris moved himself in front of Mr. Smith with a smile, "Tom, as far as I understand you've raised one of your children correctly and the other incorrectly."

"You have no right to talk about my son's decisions of war like that Evan!"

"Calm down Tom, did I touch a nerve? Sorry."

"You've down nothing in this rally you know that right?"

"What are you talking about, look around you. The only poor saps that won't vote to leave the Union are the men like you, caught up in tradition and so on and what not, bullshit."

"And what will this accomplish for you than Evan?"

"Mayor. Governor, President."

"You have a small twisted mind."

"And who are you to ridicule one's dreams!"

"As far as I'm concerned, you've already won the southern counties no doubt. But with the central and northern counties under Union occupation, there is no way in hell they'll vote to leave."

"Then I shall succede from Kentucky and from South Kentucky or merge with Tennessee."

"And by what law do you have that power."

"To quote a famous philosophe of the enlightenment, you can rebel from the current government and install a new one. Thereby I can leave Kentucky and form a new government, not Pro-Union, Pro-Confederate."

"Then God be with you."

"Don't worry Tom, you'll come around," said Evan Harris as both Mr. Smith and Carlisle began to walk away from the Pro-Confederate spectacle. "What happened to that friendship we used to share?"

Under his breath William Smith muttered, "We never had one."

If I have failed to mention as I believe I have, I haven't said who I am in the conflict...

Look away! Look away! Dixieland!

Last edited:
Looks like Kentucky has their own brand of fire-breathers. What further trouble could this bring if the southern counties do try to split off? I could see some fist-a-cuffs occuring between Harris and Smith if Harris keeps this up, though Smith does seem to have a level head. Trouble is brewing seemingly everywhere.

Chapter Two

Midnight.jpg

"Quietly. Come on," said one voice to another. Three dark figures moved out of the tall grass fields and closed in on their target, a large white mansion outside of the outskirts of town.

"Everybody here?"

"One, two, three."

"Okay, everyone gather on me," said Evan Harris with three men coming to surround him in the fields. "Look, their it is," he said, "and he has no idea we're coming for him."

"Oh man we gonna ride in and shoot da bastard when he leasts expects it," said one man excitedly.

"Calm down Walker," said Evan Harris to his colleague. "Now listen up, everyone; here's the plan. Me and Walker will go through the front. Tank, Petey you'll go around the left side of the building and enter through the rear. If all goes well we'll meet up in the kitchen and move upstairs and get the bastard. Okay lets go!"

Harris' men moved out quickly from the road side of the field and crossed the open road with the moonlight showing their positions. Tank and Petey Savage crossed to the side of the large white mansion and both drew their six-shooters out from their coat pockets and cocked the guns into position and slowly crept up to the rear entrance. Harris and Walker slowly made their way up the front porch silently but with haste at the same time.

"Hey Evan?"

"Yeah Walker?"

"What if he ain't there."

"Believe me, he's in there."

"I hope you right," Walker said with a smile, "ohh damn I canna smell a blood comin', right?"

"What?" said Evan Harris with some concern on his face as he turned and looked at his hired hand.

"Shhh!" said Walker as he placed his shotgun on the front porch and took off his hat and placed his ear along the wall of the house. "Can you hear that? It sounds like someone else in inside, he's getting closer. I can hear his footsteps getting closer."

"Shut-up you supersticious freak! It's obviously Tank and Petey, their already inside and coming to check up on us."

"It ain't them boss, I just got that bad gut feelin' about this. Shhh! I can't hear the footsteps anymore."

-click-

Walker's eye grew wide and looked at Evan Harris, "Shit!"

A loud gunshot erupted from inside and hitting the wall creating a massive hole directly above Walker's face. Walker fell to the ground in shock as his hat flew about twenty feet back into the front yard. "Damn it all! Get up you coward!" yelled Harris as he pulled out his pistol and began to fire into the house.

Another gunshot came out which destroyed the front door sending splinters ripping into Harris' shoulder which he clutched in pain, "Damn!" he said as he lifted his revolver and began to shoot through the hole in the front door. He emptied his revolver and crawled down the steps of the front porch into the yard and began to reload his weapon. He called out from the cover of a brush, "Hey Walker get your ass down here! Walker! Walker?"

Harris peaked his head up from the brush to find the motionless pale face of his hired hand looking at him directly in the face. Red blood leaked from his forward. The Savage brothers came running out from the sides to Harris' aid. Tank aimed his pistol at the front door and began to pull the trigger repeatidly along with his brother.

"Evan, Evan! I think he knows."

"Damn it Peter keep firing! I'll go around back."

"Where's Walker?" asked Tank as he blind fired into the house.

"Right in front of ya," answerd Evan Harris as he crawled with haste towards the back of the house.

From inside the man with the shotgun continued to fire loud blasts into the night which began to alarm the townsfolk. The town marshal and his two deputies readied themselves with their weapons and saddles as they hurriedly dressed themselves to get to the raging gun battle. Evan Harris made his way to the back door and shot the lock off with his pistol and gently pushed the door open and entered. The inside of the house was pitch black as he couldn't see anything inside.

"Damn it!" he said as his knee banged into the kitchen table. He quickly hit the ground covering his head as he heard the man with the shotgun reloading his weapon. He looked and waited for him to fire while the Savage brothers from outside opened up with another twelve rounds from both of their revolvers which caused the man with the shotgun to respond. Evan Harris watched as a tall black figure stood and shot out, the shot alluminated the house just for a split second which allowed Evan Harris to pin point the man's position. Evan Harris began to sweat running water from his face as he inched his way up to the man who aimed again and fired another shot from his weapon.

Outside the second shot nailed Tank Savage in the finger, "Aggh!" he yelled as he dropped his pistol and clutched his hand looking at his half torn-off middle finger. "Shit! Shit! Shit!" he said with large breaths looking at the wound on his finger. "Damn, I'm never gonna be able to flick anybody off again," he said to his brother.

"You never did it anyways," Petey Savage said to his brother. "You'll be alright right?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine."

Inside Evan Harris was only a few inches away from his target. He straightened his pistol and put the barrell of his gun on the temple of the man with the shutgun. Evan Harris smiled, "Gotcha." He pulled the trigger sending the man's brains exploding across the room and out into the front porch. The body fell straight to the ground. Evan Harris stepped over the dead body and called out, "You guys okay?"

"For the most part," answered one of the Savage brothers, probably Peter.

"Okay, one of you guys grab Walker and let's get the hell outta here before the police show up or the townsfolk with their guns."

The three man party went off into the night headed for the nearby forest at the back of the mansion. At the river inside they dumbed Walker's body in and watched him float away and continued towards the road that led back into town.

Evan Harris by morning was acting calmer than ever. When one lady came up to him and asked if he heard of the mayor being murdered last night, Evan Harris sold without doubt the most believable "You've can't be serious," this entire world had thus far ever seen.

Seesh, that was violent. Harris really wants to foment rebellion. Nasty work, taking out the mayor. :eek:

And I should note that your AAR has been picked as this week's AAR Showcase. Head to the AAR General Discussion forum and see that thread. Congrats. :)

Nasty work, but not flawless. He better be careful otherwise he will be the one with brains blown out.

Chapter Two

Tom and his company were swiftly moving north to assemble with the newly formed Union Army of Tennessee, combining the Armies of Ohio, New England and the newly formed Union Tennessee and Kentucky brigades were forming south of a small undisclosed Kentucky town with a force that will eventually number over 35,000 strong and be led by the formost and newly promoted Major General John Pope who's army would be formed into three corps: I corps commanded by Nathaniel Banks who holds the New Englander troops, II corps by Don Carlos Buell commander of the Ohio and other Midwestern troops while Brigadier General John Sedwick would command the newly formed III corps which comprised of purely Unionist soldiers from all across Tennessee and Kentucky.

In the woods outside of his home while many people, many of the woman and children, came out to give their support to the brave soldiers of the Union; of which many would never see their homes again. Tom, while marching in order as he was the outermost soldier in his column spotted his one time love: Jennifer Dawes standing out laying flowers down for the passing troops. Tom gave her a look as he began to march pass her, Jennifer recognized Tom, though not having seen her for some time, this being time being over two years.

"Tom?" she questioned.

"Jennifer," Tom said as he continued to look forward and march in file with the rest of his comrades.

"Tom? It's really you. My God, I thought I'd never see you again."

"This may be the last time," he said as he refrained to make eye-contact with her while Lt. Paul Davidson on horseback was only yards away riding in front of his company of soldiers while the other officers were spread apart among the brigade.

"Tom, Tom wait I have something to tell you..."

Tom began to cry, he looked at Jennifer, "I know," he calmly said and looked back forth and continued marching passing her behind him as he steadied his eyes and rifle as the colors of the Stars and Stripes were proudly swaying from left to right by the colorbare as he stepped in suite of the traditional left, right, left style.

Behind Tom Jennifer Dawes looked out as she saw Tom and his troops move out to the wooden countryside, "I love you," she said as she began to cry. The massive Union brigade of around 2200 men were now splitting into two columns.

~ The woods of Kentucky several days later.

Tom was tired of marching literally non-stop for the past three days. Many of the others were right beside him in the fatigue as only the experienced were less fatigued, even this said the officers on horseback were tired and sleepy while the feet have yet to touch the ground yet in the march until they stopped for a few hours for camp and rest. Tom could see the captain and Lt. Davidson discussing something up ahead on a map with another horseman who had joined them a day earlier as he was a "guide" to lead Tom's company to the Union rally point still some time away in the small Kentucky town.

The company came to a halt, alone in the woods as they were the leading element of the regiment and brigade behind them. "That can't be right," said Lt. Davidson as he looked at the map.

"But it is," said the guide, "this is the road to the rally point of this I'm sure."

"The God damned sign and the map are different. The map says this way, the sign says the other. Captain what should we do? We can't just sit here and wait for the regiment to catch up. Colonel Sickles would be very displeased."

"I know," said the captain to Lt. Davidson. He looked at the guide, "Run back to Colonel Sickles," he said to the guide, "tell him, tell him we have run into a bit of a problem up here. The map and signs are wrong, I'll be following the map not the sign."

The guide nodded and mounted his horse and began to trot backwards passing Tom who looked up at the guide who smiled with his shinny teeth. Ahead of him the two officers were still talking about the problem. Lt. Davidson seemed convinced that the map was old and outdated and possibly wrong and was trying to convince the captain that they should follow the road sign.

Beside Tom his friend Justin tapped him on the shoulder, "Looks like those two are gonna have a fun time sorting out whatever it is they're arguing about."

Behind Justin, Paul; another one of Tom's friend, the same that was on horseback the day the Smith's got news of the war began, "Well if I didn't know any better it looks like we're lost."

Tom smiled, "We're more than lost he said as he took a deep sigh."

From the rear of the company a loud noise rang out, a gunshot was fired. Officers began to shout and mutter out orders that caught the attention of the Lieutentant and captain in the front on horseback. Tom and his friends turned the heads behind them. Loud and fierce screams were being heard out in the adjacent woods along the narrow road that the company had been travelling on. The captain on horse tall brown horse rode beside Tom along with Lt. Davidson.

"What in God's name is going on down..." another shot rang out, this one striking the captain in the back of the head as blood began to spill out of his mouth as he fell down forward from his horse, face planting in the woods. From behind them an officer ordered his soldiers to aim and volley into the woods. As they stood back up Tom looked at Lt. Davidson who drew out his Colt revolver and began to panic from atop his horse.

"Ready yourself boys!" he said as he looked up and saw many figures begin to charge out of the woods.

"Tom watch out!" yelled Justin as he swung his rifle from his shoulder and shot a rebel soldier in the stomach as he was rushing down from the hills. The Union company began to spiratically fire out at the men attacking them, these men were none other than the already famous raiders of Tennessee and Kentucky under the leadership of the wanted Nathan Bedford Forest.

Confederate raiders poured out into the narrow road with swords, hatchets and muskets catching many of the Union soldiers offguard. Lt. Davidson from Tom's view began to shoot blindly at the raiders coming forward. Tom looked to his left and saw a raider tackle one of the soldiers beside him straigt to the road striking him in the head with his hatchet causing the soldier's brains to pop out. Many of the less stead fast soldiers began to flee and run. Gunshots were ringing out all around the road. Tom looked up and saw a raider on horseback coming down on him with his sabor drawn. Tom nervously attempted to shoot his rilfe, it was jammed. Tom threw his weapon to the ground and began to stumble back only to see the lieutantent shoot the raider with his pistol.

"Rear rank, fire!"

"Flee for your lives!"

"God dammit man, stand and fight!"

"Where the hell is Colonel Sickles?"

Screams and shrieks engulfed the woods. Tom and his friends broke out of their ranks and began to run down the slopes of the hill without any raiders behind them. They could hear the battle raging above them as they were not the only Union soldiers fleeing down this path. Around 50 to 70 others were fleeing for their lives as the rest were dead, wounded or fighting on the road. The Stars and Stripes were last seen falling down to the ground as Tom looked back and tripped over a rock, blacking out as he hit the ground.

Not a good day or place to be a Union soldier by the sound of things.

Nathan Bedford Forrest at his best. Does Tom get captured or lose his mates? Interesting. The earlier scene was touching.

No, it isn't looking too good. It seems like Tom will probably live to fight another day, though. Good update. I particularly liked the scene between him and Jennifer at the beginning. I guess I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. :p