• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think I know what will happen. Albrecht will go to Persia, buy Gabriel with a promise of un-excommunicating. Then Gabriel marches on Constantinople with secret support by the state (Albrecht is the state.). Gabriel takes the city but he doesn't take his chance at taking all of it because he knows that if the roman armies come reunited, he'll be screwed. So, Albrecht declares him as the saviour of the Roman empire because the dynatoi were planning to overthrow Andronikos. Gabriel goes back to Persia all happy about not being a devil anymore so that he can die as the hero he is. The fact that his blood will flow in the future emperor is also nice. In the process of the civil war, Albrecht has a chance to destroy all of his enemies as they were evil plotters. Andronikos has no choice but to marry Safiya and become a puppet again (At least for now.), Anastasia is imprisoned in the palace, the dynatoi are reshuffled to Albrechts liking, the armies come back after defeating the enemies of Rome but they're to late.

The end.

STOP RUINING THE PLOT!!!! :mad:
:rolleyes:

while that does sound realistic i have a feeling that BT is about to throw us a plot twist of some kind (maybe de Normedie will die or something) and after that all hell will break loose

i curious about what thomas the goober and gabriel are doing right now. i am sure thomas is not going have a very happy ending

also what doe "Kai su, teknon?" mean? google does say jack...(actually it says its Spanish :rofl:)

also what doe "Kai su, teknon?" mean? google does say jack...(actually it says its Spanish :rofl:)

Does Et tu, Brute sound more familar? This is the Greek version (you too son?).

Back to the update: Is age finally starting to get grip on Albrecht? He has been outmaneuvered too many times lately. I fear for a Romaion without him. Please let him have one last brilliant scheme to guarantee peace in his time.

I wonder. Does BT watch our theories about the plot carefully and then devises a plot twist that defies all of them? :rofl:

Safiya might be good looking and a good diplomatic pawn but I like Cecilia's stats more. She would do much better as an Empress I think. The only thing I don't like about the situation is that Andronikos went a bit too far (in my opinion) in order to undermine his stepfather for this. He's putting Cecilia above the Empire's coffers after all. But then again, if I think about it, he didn't have much room to manoeuvre either.

Assuming that these campaigns go ahead, we're going to be in for a very interesting demonstration of the capabilities and drawbacks of the post-reform Komnenid army: running three simultaneous expeditionary campaigns, backing them up with the naval armadas needed to transport and feed those troops (whose active duty numbers easily add up to more than a hundred thousand) would be extremely impressive if the strategoi could pull it off, and potentially ruinous if they can't. Just coordinating and paying for all this is going to be an accomplishment--to the point where I can almost imagine a standing Imperial General Staff emerging out of necessity.

Or they could fail miserably, ruining the half-century since Neapolis that it's taken to rebuild the tagmata an re-establish the central army as an effective fighting force after the decades of attrition incurred fighting the Mongols. I'm starting to think that's the more likely outcome...

To be fair to the people going by looks, we ARE comparing this girl to the daughter of the most legendary beauty of the age, pretty much equivalent to a medieval Helen. Her daughter doesn't look much worse. From a purely practical standpoint, Safiya is probably a superior choice, simply because befriending Persia is alot more important than befriending the Latins (Who are pretty much past the point of just being nice anyways). Is it a better choice when we consider the effect it could have on the young Emperor? We aren't really sure. Perhaps he and Safiya would really hit it off, who knows? Cecilia seems to be Andronikos' first love, but first loves aren't very often the final one. Andronikos has some nice stats as well, and he's got 4 years and an education to go. If he became an Elusive Shadow or a Grey Eminence, his stats would be pretty absurd, plus the possibility he gains some more points from aging and traits and whatever else. This isn't Deus Vult either, is it? If not, those are QUITE good, a 14 Martial is usually Brilliant Strategist/Knowledged Tactician level in standard CK, and he's got that with just a court education and a wise trait.

Pshaah! There will be no talk of marrying the whore-daughter of Babylon. Who cares how "hawt" she looks on a photoshopped picture, her mother was definitely NOT the beauty of the medieval world that you make her out to be. She was just a seductive slut born into high station.

Sexyness =/= beauty. Beauty is more than just seductiveness, it is also charm, wit and class. Thankfully, Andronikos is way too smart to fall just for seductiveness. He didn't even stop political plotting for more than a second even when he got his first kiss from Cecilia. He's an ice cold brilliant thinker, and has nerves of steel. He's not going to woo the wrong woman :D

Sexyness =/= beauty. Beauty is more than just seductiveness, it is also charm, wit and class. Thankfully, Andronikos is way too smart to fall just for seductiveness. He didn't even stop political plotting for more than a second even when he got his first kiss from Cecilia. He's an ice cold brilliant thinker, and has nerves of steel. He's not going to woo the wrong woman :D

And the fact that you haven't read even ONE word coming from Safiyas mouth, and have no idea whatsoever what she's like (Except that she has something in common with Andronikos. (Scepticism.)) is ignored?

You can't say she's the wrong woman because you don't even know her!

Hi everyone!

First, I realized a few minutes ago I was completely remiss in counting everyone's votes for the "what if" interim idea I had last week. So, without further ado, here are the results... I counted each first place vote as 5 points for that idea, each 2nd place vote as four, and so on...

FIFTH PLACE IDEA: 9) What if the future Thomas II, not Antemios, had died in that fire? - with 22 points total

FOURTH PLACE IDEA: 5) What if Basil had lived as long as the Megas? - with 24 points.

THIRD PLACE IDEA: 3) What if Manuel had come through his assassination attempt unscathed? - with 25 points.

SECOND PLACE IDEA: What would've happened if Post-Mongol Victory Gabriel had marched on Konstantinopolis? - with 28 points.

FIRST PLACE (IDEA EVERYONE WANTS TO KNOW!): What if David had inherited from Basil? - with 54 points!

So I'll get to work on these as time permits!

Secondly, my boyfriend has started reading the AAR again, and I promised I'd share some of his opinions/comments as a non-historian and English major... unlike most of you, he started very recently in the story--the great hunt where Segeo gets snubbed by Nikephoros for the position of Pandomestikos. So far, he's:

1) Rooting for Segeo--he feels like the man is an "old war vet who's been denied his due, he's got a right to grouch that an inexperienced guy has upstaged him." Direct quote - "Experience should trump age."
2) He likes Andronikos, because Andronikos is rather religiously skeptical like he is, and Andronikos likes the bow like he does. :) He is worried that, like any young kid that precocious (he's only gotten to where Andie is 10), Andronikos will be easily malleable in the wrong hands...

I'll keep adding more as he reads further...

Vesimir - We should be hearing from Safiya next update, or at least seeing her, so everyone will have a bit of a more... concrete... estimation of her abilities... as for your plot guess, very well thought out, devious even, we'll just have to see if that's how it plays out...

Leviathan07 - Vesimir has a point, we haven't seen Safiya yet. We have seen Cecilia though... she's direct with Andronikos, and freely tells him he's not always right, something we haven't seen anyone else do yet... Good influence probably, but will that be enough when Safiya comes calling (or if Uncle Albie shoves Safiya onto his lap, so to speak?)

Fulcrumvale - It'll definitely be a major test of the new Komnenid army, both in simple logistical capacity and in command ability. The campaigns obviously won't take place simultaneously--much of the Transpontian force merely needs to march in place, while the fleet, for all its size and power, can't ferry both western invasion armies at once. Most importantly, it'll be a test of the new Megos Domestikos, as he'll be coordinating the massive Western affair. Romanos is a relative unknown, and while he's had high marks in the past, those were commanding a single tagma, not two field armies launching far away invasions totalling over 100,000 men...

asd21593 - When have the Komnenid children not been rebellious? (Foolish, I'll grant you, there have been some non-fools in the bunch...)

cezar87 - I will admit, in the past I've done exactly that! :) This time, however, I've had things outlined out for a while, so there's no changing the plot based on people's guesses... all I'll say is that what happens soon will show if Andie is good at short term plotting (just Cecilia), or if he's truly going to be machiavellian (something more)...

TC Pilot - Haaa haaa! :)

Servius Magnus - Now, is that a hint? Or yet another red herring? ;)

FlyingDutchie - Albrecht is... what? 64 now? 65? He's up there. Its inevitable that young blood will replace the old, but is Albrecht slipping already?

We'll find out. :)

armoristan - Thomas the Goober? :rofl: I think he has a new nickname now! I wonder how "goober" translates into Greek... not fool, but goober...

Kirsch27 - Nope, we still haven't hit the DV switchover, so this is vanilla, those are the stats he goes into for when his education ends. If he hits one of the top tier ed modifiers, his stats would indeed be ridiculous... Basil-like ridiculous. Though he could always bomb too... ironically in the game itself, Thomas III hinting at awe-inspiring stats as well, and then bombed out when his ed finished, leaving him the crazy idiot with good stewardship and that's it...

4th Dimension - Well, we know the quickest way to your heart--a sword through the heart of your enemies. ;) Cecilia and Safiya both have their diplomatic advantages... Cecilia could calm the Latins in Spain, but Safiya could bring a Persian peace... which frontier do you want pacified?

Nikolai - Taking out Cecilia herself would be a huge escalation... its easy to assume if Albie did that and Andronikos found out, his stepfather would have only a short time left in this world if the Emperor was of age. Goading teenage emperors into a rage by murdering their first love isn't a good move for career enhancement... chances are high Albie has a less... direct... way of removing her or her influence...

RGB - Maybe that would explain why Albie has been so adverse to war--its the domain of the young (which he certainly isn't)? More likely its because its far too uncertain for his diplomatic mind. He likes the certainly brought about by the blades of Eleutherios and others, not the uncertainty offered by a clash of arms...

Enewald - Ironic indeed should it happen that way...

canonized - Thank you for popping in again! That's the big reason I like doing those graphics--it saves massive "block of explanation text" writing, which is boring to write and often boring to read, and it lets me play with Photoshop more (and play is what I do... fidgeting around, trying things... best way to keep learning!)

The next update has only just been started, it probably won't be posted until this weekend at the earliest, maybe the start of next week. There might be an interim in the meantime, maybe not. We'll have to see how things develop!

armoristan - Thomas the Goober? :rofl: I think he has a new nickname now! I wonder how "goober" translates into Greek... not fool, but goober...

Goober is quite literally "peanut" from what I understand; kind of appropriate; nutty, peabrained?

The modern (not period at all) word for "Peanut" is Arachis, but that sounds like a spider from Dune.

Arachioulous is "little little legume nut" - peanutlet. I wonder if that'd work.

An alternative is the source word for "goober" - Nguba - engoubos? But that would require the Romans getting someone Kongolese to teach them that.

However, it could be a moot point. Peanuts are South American.

Last edited:
Good call. Other legume ideas for a contemptuous epithet:

Lentil - ΦΑΚΗ (Faki)
Pea - ΜΠΙΖΕΛΙ (Mpizeli)
Bean - ΦΑΣΟΛΙ (Fasoli)
Pulse/Pottage/Porridge - ΠΟΛΤΟΣ (Poltos)

I think my vote's leaning towards Tommy Porridge.

Goober is quite literally "peanut" from what I understand; kind of appropriate; nutty, peabrained?

The modern (not period at all) word for "Peanut" is Arachis, but that sounds like a spider from Dune.

Arachioulous is "little little legume nut" - peanutlet. I wonder if that'd work.

An alternative is the source word for "goober" - Nguba - engoubos? But that would require the Romans getting someone Kongolese to teach them that.

The more you know...

Direct quote - "Experience should trump age."

Wise words.

We should be hearing from Safiya next update, or at least seeing her, so everyone will have a bit of a more... concrete... estimation of her abilities...

Concrete, you say? Well, I do hope she isn't like Frederica. Seducing is okay, but what Frederica was doing is a little too much.

As for your plot guess, very well thought out, devious even, we'll just have to see if that's how it plays out...

Thanks. Sorry if I tend to be a little, Gabriel centered in my thoughts about the future. :p

Fidgeting around, trying things... best way to keep learning!

Fun fact. The only thing I do to each image I edit is a black rim around it. I never use the same things because, frankly, I improvise each time.

EDIT : I just remembered the update where the wife of Thomas I (If i'm correct.) seduced the young 16 year old.... the promising one, whatever his name was. :D Is this something along the lines of "concrete"?

SUPER EDIT : BTW, look what I found while looking for images of knights on DeviantArt.
Andronikos.jpg

When I saw him I was like "Oh, Andronikos.". Too bad I haven't found him earlier.

Last edited:
4th Dimension - Well, we know the quickest way to your heart--a sword through the heart of your enemies. ;) Cecilia and Safiya both have their diplomatic advantages... Cecilia could calm the Latins in Spain, but Safiya could bring a Persian peace... which frontier do you want pacified?
Well, that's an interesting question.
On one hand Spain needs pacifying quickly because it's too far away for Constantinopole to send troops there every once in a while. Also there is prestige to consider. Current Komnenids are from there (Andy's mother and his Emperor predecessor). And this is the first test of the new Nikky's system of military. So loosing in Spain would expose Africa and even Italy, and lessen the pressure on French, and result in loss of face, AND convince certain people that rebellion can be profitable. And what would happen to Komnenid allies would make other their potential allies during next civil war less inclined to help them if they see that Constantinopolis is likely to abandon them if war turns a bit too costly. And what these people don't know, Spain offers possibility of expansion into new world in couple of hundreds of years.
Persia, on the other hand is MUCH closer, and much easier to assault. By the same token Constantinopole is MUCH closer to Persia, and more vulnerable to Persians. Also, while Latins will convert eventually to Orthodoxy, I doubt Orthodoxy will expand beyond Mesopotamia, and with the advent of Aionism, the resistance to Christianity will only stiffen. So there Empire also faces long term religious conflict, weather they befriend Persian Komnenids or not.
Long term problem of Spain is distance, and of Persia is religion. One will let you secure Mediterranean trade, the other will secure you Silk road.

So I really don't know. On the other hand, I don't think Safiya will placade Persians that much. After all, what's she to Nik? It will be Nik's children who inherit Persia. Now marrying Nik's children to some Andy's cousin (he has no sisters?) on his mother's side, might be a better deal.

True, but we have to find some kind of insulting name for thomas. after all, he really is a complete and absolute bumbling idiot (or goober ;))

@FlyingDutchie: thanks for the translator, how did you find out?

P.S: how do you guys know so much greek?!? *points at BT, RGB, and FlyingDutchie*

P.S: how do you guys know so much greek?!? *points at BT, RGB, and FlyingDutchie*

This IS the place where all the crazy Byzantophiles hang out, no?

βλάκας?

But it doesn't have any vegetable connotations. Nor is it a playful nickname; it's as if it lacks a pulse.