• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I vote for The Planes in Spain because that is what the last two people above me voted for. It keeps the streak going.

Latecoere521_zpsec8fad39.png

A shot of the re-built 521 on a test flight in the countryside near Toulouse, an aerial shot being necessary to highlight its distinctive hull form. The six Hispano-Suiza 12Ydrs engines are also clearly visible, the inboard four being in the tractor push/pull arrangement so popular in seaplanes. The switch from four engines to six was forced upon Latécoère after Hispano-Suiza abandoned development of the planned engine, the 18Sbr. With it’s unusual three block ‘W’ cylinder layout the 18Sbr was originally intended as a racing engine to challenge for the 1929 Schneider Trophy, however ongoing problems during development meant the first engine didn’t enter testing till after the Schneider race for that year had been run and won by Britain with the Rolls Royce 'R' powered Supermarine S.6. This disappointment, along with ongoing reliability problems and the failure of the test engines to meet the hoped for power outputs, led to the engine’s cancellation. The ongoing problems at Hispano-Suiza with engine development, and the affect this had on otherwise promising designs, would be a recurring theme in French aviation throughout the decade.

I only count four engines in the picture. Where are the other two? :huh:

Reactions:
SirCliveWolfe - Wolfey! It has indeed been a while, good to see you back and that you have lost none of your ambitious vision. Though I will have to do something on jets and rockets in the foreseeable future.
So let's see, you have mentioned jets and rockets and have complimented me on my ambitious vision... so we can expect a British SSTO plane before 1940 then? :eek: SPITFIRES IN SPACEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I cast my vote for Spanish Planes for today.

But in all likelyhood, El Pip will find a single sheet of paper with a very non-indicative, unhelpful 'Yes' written on it. Meanwhile, once the polls close in Scotland, officials shall be scratching their heads over an infinity+1 ballots all with "Spanish Planes" written in, from a non-registered, non-Scottisch person.
Looks like and unhelpful 'No' actually :D

I vote for The Planes in Spain because that is what the last two people above me voted for. It keeps the streak going.
Indeed let this momentum continue I also vote for The Planes in Spain

I only count four engines in the picture. Where are the other two? :huh:
I thought this initially, but if you look at the closest of the two central engines and follow it back you can see a prop pointing aft, so I presume four 'puller' engines and two 'pusher' engines.

Reactions:
Planes in Spain please.

Dury.

• 1Like
Reactions:
No FDR?

I feel... odd!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I cast another vote for The Planes in Spain. Let's keep the streak going!

I thought this initially, but if you look at the closest of the two central engines and follow it back you can see a prop pointing aft, so I presume four 'puller' engines and two 'pusher' engines.

*squints real hard*

I still only see four engines. I'm sure El Pip will clarify things.

No FDR?

I feel... odd!

I'm content to bask in Landon's glory, wherever it is.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What's this? The Spaniards seek to overrun the democratic will of the South American people?

Never! Eighty more votes for South America (and one for the opposition parties, to demonstrate the true and authentic nature of our democracy).

Reactions:
*squints real hard*

I still only see four engines. I'm sure El Pip will clarify things.
Maybe these alternate pictures will clear it up (if you click on them to enlarge them) :D

6b14c7b9.jpg
latecoere521_002.gif

What's this? The Spaniards seek to overrun the democratic will of the South American people?

Never! Eighty more votes for South America (and one for the opposition parties, to demonstrate the true and authentic nature of our democracy).
Well I will use all those Scottish "wasted" Yes votes (only j/k my brother Scotts :)) on Spanish Planes... that 1,617,989 :ninja:

Reactions:
Maybe these alternate pictures will clear it up (if you click on them to enlarge them) :D

View attachment 115530
View attachment 115531

Oh, okay. I see the six engines now. Thanks! :)

Well I will use all those Scottish "wasted" Yes votes (only j/k my brother Scotts :)) on Spanish Planes... that 1,617,989 :ninja:

Good thing no one is checking voter IDs here. :laugh:

Reactions:
The Planes in Spain!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Planes in Spain... but don't let that stop you mentioning armour if you like.... just saying... :eek:o

Dury.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
South America, for the variety.

Reactions:
C&D - The voting slip has to be large, there are so many options to fit on it. It wouldn't do for people not to have the choice to vote for such vital topics as the impact of advances in Bathythermography on Italian submarine tactics.

H.Appleby - There aren't many rules to a Pippian election, but there is a requirement to at least turn up. I am therefore forced to discount the other 8,000 votes.

As tempting as that option is, I think I'll continue with having a proper job and being able to look myself in the mirror.

Duritz - I think most of the awful NiDs have been shot down by now, but I'll be generous and put you down for one vote.

C&D - You could always vote for Scottish Aviation.

Nathan Madien - Wolfey's alternate pictures hopefully make things clearer on the multiple engine front.

SirCliveWolfe - Ahh Space Spitifires, marvellous memories. I could have predicted you would go Planes Wolfey, good to see somethings can be relied upon.

Duritz - Duly noted.

Kurt_Steiner - But is that any difference from usual Kurtie? Or is this a new sort of odd?

Nathan Madien - Basking in the glory of Landon is a challenge that few have attempted. I admire you for attempting it.

H.Appleby - South America losing out on a rigged vote is a shocker isn't it?

SirCliveWolfe / Nathan Madien - Fine picture finding Wolfey. Thanks.

jeeshadow - The run continues.

C&D - Surely such heroic efforts will not go unrewarded by the Voter Colonel.

Duritz - I think we can probably sneak a bit of tanks in the Spain update. Or indeed the South American update.

H.Appleby - Is this the start of the fightback?

TheExecuter - South America now a mere 7 votes behind.

The Planes in Spain - 32
The Edge of Reason in South America - 25

Slight issues at work have delayed my start on the next update, so you may wish to suspend voting for a while as I'm not sure when things will sort out. Or you might want to churn out votes for South American border wars in an effort to close the gap. It is entirely up to you.

Reactions:
...you know me too well, Pippy.

I hear that South America is coming into style.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ah well, all that time at the Air Ministry must have made me predictable... I could always go back to to my first love of Super Heavy BB's if that's more acceptable?

In fact I vote for, nay demand, a detailed British design study of the possibility of a SHBB in space with full SSTO capabilities!!... Or South America, whichever you choose :p

Oh and thanks for complimenting my Google-fu

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fightback didn't work for Dr Hewson and it won't work for the South Americans...

Planes in Spain, Huzzah!

Dury.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Tempting as the impact of advances in Bathythermography on Italian submarine tactics may be, South America will always be more important to me and the legion of dead voters I have at my command (if Capone can do it, so can I) :)

Besides if I read correctly someone gave South America a vote of infinity divided by zero, now we all know divide by zero doesn't exactly work so we take the next best thing: divide by an infinitely small amount. So infinity divided by an infinitely small amount equals... well, infinity again - I think those who want the update on Spain first don't even have to vote anymore :p

• 1Like
Reactions: