• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've gone over, I've looked, I'm interested, but now I'm back and wanting more of Resurrection. But I'll be patient. :D

Not knowing who Black switched to readily, I can only comment that as much as Rutledge proved himself a pain time and time again, this was a rather harsh ending. Fitting, perhaps, but still...

Well done, at the very least!

I'll have to give the EUI work a perusal.

Since I last checked in about four months have gone by -- and at last, the good guys (if we can call them that) are staging some kind of counterattack. In no particular order here are some comments and questions:

Is Wasp Sting the same as the cat who was talking with "Gabe" in Paris? And I am very confused by Wasp Sting and Black calling each other brother and sister. Do they really have a "family" connection of sorts, or is that just their way of recognizing each other as being on a completely different plane from the humans?

We humans sometimes say "God damn you" in our spiritual ignorance. But when angels and demons say that to each other, it's much different. I can't decide if it's tragic or funny.

I enjoyed reading the plot to trap and coerce Andre into cooperating up in New England. That was beautifully choreagraphed. A real pleasure. :)

On the other hand, having Jefferson be a quasi-fascist in your timeline is more than a little bit disconcerting. :eek: Also, in real history wasn't Adams himself the mover of the Aliens and Sedition act?

I have no idea what Foster's agenda now is. She clearly has a long list of grievances to air against just about everybody. But who is numero uno, and what will she do about it? She seems to be a wild card who may disrupt some very carefully laid plans, and probably for the worse. :(

The confrontation between Wasp Sting and Black ended in pretty much a draw, Mutual Assured Destruction or something like that. But now Black appears to be in a healthy body -- General Allen's -- and no one else knows it yet. So Heyward et al will be completely thrown off the trail for a long time, thinking all their problems are solved with Rutledge's tragic demise.

Chesmu and Exeter are powerful free agents, hostile to each other and just about everyone else, too. :eek: It will be frighteningly interesting to read what they do next.

It was encouraging to read of Moultrie and Preston beginning to clean up the sewage in South Carolina. But I suspect that General Allen will return as a hero and derail or corrupt their efforts. :(

Catknight, you've managed to take the darkest parts of humanity from the 20th century and creep them into our noblest characters from the founding of our country, and I have to admit it gives me the willies when I read it! All that is to say that you're doing an excellent job writing this masterpiece. :)

Why on earth did you want to buy EU1? :confused: :wacko:

if Wasp Sting was the reason the Cherokee resisted attempts to annex them, without her they will fall.

General Allen is a different personality to Rutledge. Black and Ryrldge seem to have in common a desire to manipulate and dominate that Allen lacks. It should be much harder for Black to maintan control over Allen. True, Allen does have a belief that Heyward deserted his post and would seek redress.

I think that Heyward will be able to recognise that Black has control over Allen. I, too, am curious to see Miss Foster return to the story. I'd like to know just why she seems so personally involved in bringing Heyward to London. Had she left him in Georgia, the Congress would just have hanged him as a traitor. he owes her his life. Congress has a pretty damming case against him as it is.

CatKnight: ...General Allen slowly lowered his hands and stared at the body. "He's dead."

so, this experience tells General Allen that he is stuck with this demon for as long as he lives. not the best 'knowledge' to acquire... :rolleyes:

(and, not necessarily true.)

hmmm. well, at least he has the knowledge and example of Rutledge's last words, "..run..quickly."... :D

excellent update! ! :cool:

Rutledge did give Allen sage advice...The last the human host could...Pity Allen was too stupid to run...Now Black has control of him utterly. He will ruthlessly eliminate Allen's personality as much as he can and take him completely under his spell to do what he so desires....Allen was in bad company, but now he can sit in a tiny corner of his mind gibbering while Black runs his body. Now he knows what true horror is....

Fulcrumvale: Now that's not nice. :(

J. Passepartout: Well...he took Rutledge anyway :)

Chief Ragusa: True, but Allen had no idea what the problem was either.

Draco Rexus: Our heroes first have to realize Black's switched teams.

coz1: Nah, Rutledge didn't deserve it. Still, he's at peace now. Black couldn't do more harm to him now if he wanted to.

jwolf: Do I know you?

Lessee: No, Wasp isn't the cat/Bast. Can you imagine her attacking with wolves? Please. She'd have sent a bunch of mountain lions after him. Or maybe cows.

In real history, Adams was indeed the one who sponsored the Alien and Sedition Acts. I'd got it mixed up when I wrote the initial post. Still, I think it works out ... Heyward's in need of a firebrand to kick Congress in the pants if he's to have a chance. Adams counts. Jefferson seems more serene. Still, as I think coz mentioned...Jefferson COULD be turned.

Chesmu and Exeter are definitely wild cards, though Black's working to get them back in his deck. Still, they aren't the good little pawns Black thinks... neither, of course, is John and Moultrie.

As for bringing the darkest parts of our humanity into the noblest characters of our founding...I suppose that's true. It could easily have gone this way though. As Black says once, "You were headed there anyway." Sometimes nobility and tyranny are only a hairsbreadth away.

I'd sooner not discuss EU1 here to keep things sane, so feel free to ask on that AAR...but long story short, no regrets at all. I'm really enjoying it. :)

Chief Ragusa: Mm...Rutledge's and Allen's personality doesn't enter into it. Rutledge certainly didn't want to be possessed, and though he was certainly a selfish, greedy type he loved Carolina and would never have thought of half of Black's plans.

Congress...and Miss Foster...will return shortly. Foster first, very soon. :)

GhostWriter: Yeah, at least Allen knows what to tell the next poor guy. :) (More importantly, it's a clue...sshhh)

Amric: Yes. Allen was in bad company and a bit of a coward, but he wasn't himself a bad man - or at least any worse than a dozen others who fell for Black's treachery. Now...he has a bit of a problem.

Warning: More graphic depictions of violence against people you wouldn't invite to your holiday party.

resurrectsmallzq1.gif

-= 171 =-

Cherokee Country
August 1784

A few miles from the American camp, Mister Black knelt by the stream and carefully washed his face and hands. The army coat needed scrubbing. He found others didn't like it when you had blood on you, which was rather strange as humanity had more blood on its hand than every angel in God's chorus put together.

Allen's was an older body, with the usual problems resulting from age. Still, he was fit and had no pressing stomach issues from too much rich food like that fool Rutledge. Except for the little mess with reclaiming control of Carolina, this was definitely a trade up.

Oh, do quit whining, Matthew is it? You were never a strong man, always willing to let others do the fighting for you. Good idea, but the wrong reasons. I will teach you about true power before the end.

The cold water felt good on his face and arms. As he started to relax, he felt..

Ah, here comes your first lesson now. Black stood and turned. "Well met, Jasen."

Exeter, in mid-stalk looking for something to kill, straightened. His prey smelled familiar, yet not familiar. He tilted his head to one side, grunted.

"Yes, Jasen." Black smiled, walking closer. "It is me. Our plan succeeded." His grin faded. "My plan really, as to be honest you're nothing more than an animal now. You know that don't you?"

Exeter's eyes narrowed. He spat and snarled.

"Oh yes, Jasen," he agreed, patting his cheek. "Your help was instrumental. Thank you. Nor have I forgotten your ... request ... for a reward, no, not at all."

A detached observer might have thought this a strange sight, an average height, somewhat slim, well dressed older man patting a hulking monolith that outweighed him by ten stone, cheeks flushed, glaring with confusion and unhappiness. Our detached observer might have been further surprised when the older man gripped the younger's neck and slammed him face first into the ground.

Black leapt on Jasen's back and slammed the flat of his palm into the socket where shoulder meets arm with superhuman force. Exeter let out a shrill cry as his master repeated the process on his other shoulder. He managed to get his legs under him and twist away, but with his arms barely answering Jasen hadn't regained his feet when Black once again pounced, landing with both knees on the former general's chest.

"This," Black snarled, "is your reward for treachery. You thought you could make demands while I was weak? That you could compel me by force? That you were somehow in charge?" He punched Exeter in the jaw, shattering several teeth.

Adrenalin supplied with brutalized bone and muscle could not, and Exeter slammed his fist into Black's ribs. Two splintered and the smaller 'man' rolled away. Black bounced to his feet, snarled an inhuman curse and thrust the heel of his palm at Jasen. He was too far away to actually land his blow, but nonetheless Exeter's knee twisted on its axis and he fell screaming - the advantage of making another's body for them.

Black stalked forward, favoring his ribs with one hand though they were already well on their way to being healed - he wasn't going to waste time torturing Allen like he had with Rutledge - and glared at his charge. Exeter scrambled, but his leg couldn't bear weight and every movement hurt more. He snarled.

Black stomped his groin and circled his howling, writhing charge.

"Are you listening, Jasen?" Black grated. "There was a man in one of the Italian states once - name of Machiavelli. An idealist and fool before I started talking to him. Do you know what I taught him?" He stomped hard on Jasen's other knee, ignoring his incoherent pleas. "I taught him never to do his enemy an injury he can avenge." He lifted Exeter from the mud like a child and stared at him. "The lesson here, is never betray your master unless you're certain he can never pay you back!" Black threw him on his stomach and once more landed on the general's back listening to the sweet, agonized yowls.

"Oh, no, Jasen. I'm not going to kill you," Black murmured. "Then I'd just have to train another slave. No, but I do think you need to be punished." He reached down, found Exeter's hand. "I told you: I made you. I can unmake you." He snapped a finger, smothering Jasen's screams in the mud. "Allow me to demonstrate."
---------

Some hours later, soldiers stood and milled uncertainly as General Allen staggered into camp. His usually neat, grey hair flew in all directions, he'd torn his army coat, and the knees of his breeches were worn almost through. No blood though. One soldier leapt forward to help his commander, then recoiled before his hard, savage expression.

"General Allen!" From far up the narrow, perfectly straight dirt part that served as the encampment's main road, a young, high pitched voice called. His attache, a slim child of thirteen, leapt forward. "My God sir, are you alright?" he gaped.

"Richard! Find the regimental commanders and bring them to my tent. We attack at dawn."

"Sir?"

The fool continued to stare wide eyed. "What in hell is wrong with you!" Black snarled. "Are you daft?"

"No!" The child shook his head. "Sir, Pardon, but there's a man in your tent! We've sought you this last hour and more!"

Black rounded on the boy. Several men looked in their direction. "What of it?" he demanded. "I authorized no..."

"He's a representative from Governor Moultrie, sir!"

"Governor!?"

"He says, with respect, the war is over. Peace has been agreed to and we are to return home immediately!"

"WHAT!?"

Peace: Allegheny + 25g to United States

No reported gratuitous violence towards any trees.

Allen has a bit of a problem and a war got ended on him. That will teach Black to spend several hours beating up a servant instead of organising an attack on the home fort of the Cherokee. Allen has always been a soldier and never a politician. Black is sort of stuck with that persona, unless he wants to stick out like a sore thumb, though the angelic forces do not seem inclined to help Heyward directly. Allen did not strike me as a weak man, but then Black has to use all his tricks to stay in possession. Rutledge was thoroughly power-hungry. He may not have thought of the things Black did, but the absolute power he held would have met with his approval. Allen is more than likely to be summoned by the Congress in the Heyward matter.

I wonder what scheme Miss Foster has in knapsack, this time? Will she try to turn him by mention John's supposed involvement in the death of Heyward's new found love.

Are you planning to absorb all the Indian lands and buy Louisiana before trying to drive the English out of North America for good?

Would Allen really have been safe from Black had he run quickly?

It's nice to see Black's misfortune continue.

Chief Ragusa: I wouldn't be able to buy Louisiana til 1801... in 17 game years. This AAR won't last that long. :)

J. Passepartout: That could well be! We'll have to ask him if he ever makes it back here!

Fulcrumvale: LOL! Yep

resurrectsmallzq1.gif

-= 172 =-

Cherokee Country
August 1784

Black walked through the crowd of soldiers knotted around the makeshift podium on a wood stage. Some asked questions, others offered nervous smiles. Their commander seemed different somehow: Confident. Determined. Very, very angry.

The little attache pushed his way through. "Right this way, sir!" He pointed at the podium. "Does it meet with your approval?"

"No," Black growled. "I see the American banner. Where is Carolina's?"

"The black cross and eagle, sir?"

"Just so. Bring one immediately."

"Which we can't, sir," quavered the child.

Black slapped the boy down. The knot of soldiers around them disintegrated, deciding as one to be elsewhere. "Bring one, NOW!"

"I said I can't," he cried, shielding his face and head.

"Explain!"

"General Heyward ordered them destroyed, sir! Don't you remember? Said we was an American army and should use that flag. We don't have no more!"

Black straightened. "Just so." He stepped past the weeping child. "Let's begin." He mounted the podium and waited as commanders wrestled their troops into something resembling order. Someone picked up his attache, who stared wide eyed with a red imprint on his face. Nervous talk, nervous faces.

"Gentlemen."

Chatter and speculation continued. A few men shared a joke, one nudging another.

"MEN!"

Conversation died away. Black glared at his charges.

"Governor Moultrie has ordered us home!"

Cheers, a yowl of pure joy rushing from the back ranks to the podium and back again. Several thrust rifles into the air as a sign of triumph. One actually fired.

"Yes, yes!" Black said. "Very good. We can go home. But have you considered what this means? I will tell you. It means...we've lost!"

Cheers and smiles gave way to puzzled frowns.

"Yes! Lost! Look around you: Does this look like the last Indian stronghold? No! We had this war as good as won, and this governor, this man who hadn't fought in years says what? 'So sorry, we'll just leave?' Even now the Cherokee sit, gloating at the piece of paper that God damned fool signed!"

His voice rose to a thunder. "What it means, men, is that the last two years away from home. All that suffering, all those hot, blood and sweat soaked days meant nothing. Worrying about your family. Worrying that some God damned savage will shoot you from a tree. Every honor and pride you can take from this campaign: All of it is nothing! He would have us forget the whole thing. We're an embarassment to Moultrie, just like we were an embarassment to that God damned traitor Heyward!"

Frowns turned to angry muttering. Black waited several seconds, waiting for their indignation to grow.

"Or does any man here really believe a Carolinan cannot take an Indian in a fair fight, any time, anywhere?"

They growled. One colonel stepped forward: "Let's attack now, before they find out!"

"NO!" Black bellowed, breaking through their anger. "No. If we attack, having received orders to the contrary, Moultrie will brand us renegades and what reply can we make? None! No, we must obey Charleston even if it is run by a fool!"

Then he leaned forward, as if conveying a great secret. "Or is he a fool?" he asked. "Let me tell you what poor Mister Rutledge said before he died..."
-----------

New York

Congressman Phillip Waymouth stepped into the carriage, glowered at his cohabitants, sat back and folded his arms.

Andre's brow lifted as he moved aside. "What news?"

"Jay is not here. He is already on the road to Philadelphia." Waymouth rested his elbow on the sill and glared. "New York would have been damn useful." He shook his head. "Driver! Let's go!"

Heyward lifted his head. "We are waiting for Captain Harding."

"Eh? Where'd the boy run off to?"

"He said the Army was holding something for him since the Vermont campaign," Andre replied. "Wouldn't say what - damn mysterious, but he seemed happy."

"Maybe he found himself a girl," Waymouth smirked. "I'd begun to wonder 'bout him."

"Wonder what?" Heyward asked.

"Why, whether or not he's...you know. Singular."

Heyward looked puzzled. Andre chuckled.

Before they could widen his understanding of the world, they heard a deep, loud neigh. Tom glanced out the window and whistled.

Wesley rode up, riding a huge pale horse. It skipped heavily when he pulled on the reins and snapped at the carriage.

"What in hell is that thing, Harding?" Waymouth called.

"It's...or rather it was General Stark's horse! The Army said in justice I could have him! Ain't he prime? The general called him 'Death!'"

"I can see why." Andre shrank back as Death saw fit to test the carriage for edibility. "Is he safe?"

"'Ey now!" the coachman cried. "Careful there!" He slapped the horse's nose with his crop.

Death glared and bared his teeth.

"He's," Harding jerked on the reins. The horse's neck tendons bulged as it pondered the coachman. He jerked harder. "He's fine! Oh, and I have a gift for you!" He looked down at his saddlebag. "Just reach in there will you?"

Tom lunged over, reached in and felt something soft and warm. "What is...?" He seized and lifted.

The orange tabby regarded him contemptously.

"What is this?" Waymouth demanded.

"She was starving, had no one to care for her so I brought her along!"

Heyward continued to regard the cat, holding her by her scruff, turning this way and that. The cat had enough of this and began to claw the air. She didn't look like she was starving. "You're a regular Doctor Doolittle," he muttered.

"Aye, sir!" Harding preened, then paused. "Was he Army, sir?"

"You should send it back," Tom said, offering the cat. Something about her felt...wrong. "Her people must be missing her."

"She hasn't got anyone," Harding repeated firmly.

Tom thought he heard a woman's voice, a gentle whisper: If you don't let go of m... her scruff right now, she is likely to claw your face off. He dropped the cat as if shocked. She landed on her feet (naturally) and curled up on the floor as if the humans didn't exist.

"Good! That's settled!" Harding grined and nudged Death. "Onward!"

I wonder what the army will make of "Run, quickly." Calling Heyward a traitor and the governor a fool marks a departure for the General. So now Black is moving into the military dictatorship.

Bast made a rather undignified entrance into Heyward's life. There is no easy way to introduce a talking cat to a man who has fallen through time. She 'll just wait until Heyward is alone, just like Miss Foster.

Shame you can't trigger an early purchase of Louisiana.

Very interesting. The cat has found a way to meet Black eventually. And now we know for certain that Black has taken Allen as his vessel. And back to his old tricks again I see.

And we're heading towards America's first military coup. Wonderful.

Happy Holidays, folks. :)

I will be going out of town soon until after New Years. Take care!

What ever we can say about Mr. Black, which is quite a bit, he does know how to get people motivated behind his cause. Bastard. :mad:

Interesting way for our feline friend to join the cause, so to speak. As was mentioned, just in time considering Mr. Black has changed bodies again.

Things are going to get interesting as the confrontation comes closer. Can't wait.

Enjoy your holiday, Cat. Hurry back safe and sound, eh? ;)

(My trip was delayed for a day, so I thought I'd add this in. Originally I hoped to get it out Christmas Eve or Christmas Day because of the theme, but didn't quite make it.)

J. Passepartout: Hm...I suppose technically it's slander, but he has no interest in defaming 'poor Rutledge.' ;)

Chief Ragusa: Nothing. You don't think Black's going to tell them the truth, did you? As for Louisiana...eh, I could - you've seen me write events, but it's just not important for this story.

coz1: Black vs. a cat. Now that would be an interesting fight. :)

Fulcrumvale: Hey, get all the bad stuff out of the way now and the next 200 years could be smooth sailing!

Draco Rexus: :mad: I think you're right! I think that's what Black does in the modern world! He's a motivational speaker!