• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Due to the damage caused by the war with the Ottomans, Venice remains a weak power. Therefore, we have decided to remain neutral in European affairs for the forseeable future, although we will remain in the Austro-Russian alliance for defensive purposes.

As a result, we re-affirm the status quo in Italy. We will not attempt to retake Firenze back from Aragon, nor will we take back any of the lands lost to the Turks. We trust that our neighbours (France, Aragon, Ottomans) will in return accept the current borders. We of course implicitly trust Austria on all such matters.

In the colonies, we wil continue to honour the Treaty of Genova, and we expect our neighbours, Burgundy and Denmark to do the same.

Nor will we attempt to start or take colonial holdings elsewhere if it infringes upon the rights of others who have claimed the area.

PJL said:
Due to the damage caused by the war with the Ottomans, Venice remains a weak power. Therefore, we have decided to remain neutral in European affairs for the forseeable future, although we will remain in the Austro-Russian alliance for defensive purposes.

Heh. If it wasn't enoguh that I had to fund you - that Austria had to fund someone else. No, now you also want me to protect you with nothing in return... :rofl:

But Austria does not wish to see foreign powers devour Venice, so we will keep protecting her. At least for the time being.

Hive said:
Heh. If it wasn't enoguh that I had to fund you - that Austria had to fund someone else. No, now you also want me to protect you with nothing in return... :rofl:

But Austria does not wish to see foreign powers devour Venice, so we will keep protecting her. At least for the time being.

We will still honour the alliance if it is DOWed upon, but not for an offensive war. And we will not ask Austria for money again if she feels that she is not getting anything back.

PJL said:
We will still honour the alliance if it is DOWed upon, but not for an offensive war. And we will not ask Austria for money again if she feels that she is not getting anything back.

Oh... I thought you meant that you only stayed in the alliance for your defensive purposes, and wouldn't join a war unless you were attacked yourself...

And of course poor little Venice can get a state gift from Austria every now and then.

Fredrik82 said:
If the Venetian Doge is interested to earn easy money the English King have some interested offers for ya :)

If Venice sells any mediterranian islands to either England or Burgundy, Austria is no longer an ally.

Fredrik82 said:
If the Venetian Doge is interested to earn easy money the English King have some interested offers for ya :)
The presence of the English in India is already concerning to the Sublime Porte, but any English presence in the Mediterranean, especially one so far east, would force an immediate cooling of the currently friendly relations between our two countries.

The Sultan is sure this is not the intention of His Majesty.

devil said:
You are speaking of france, aragon and porto, that are really far behind income wise, tech wise and certainly regarding navies. :rofl:
....and which was created only VERY recently...

PJL said:
As a result, we re-affirm the status quo in Italy. We will not attempt to retake Firenze back from Aragon, nor will we take back any of the lands lost to the Turks. We trust that our neighbours (France, Aragon, Ottomans) will in return accept the current borders. We of course implicitly trust Austria on all such matters.

The king of Aragon welcomes this decision, though he remains somewhat wary... as we all know what happened a few decades ago, when the Doge had also proclaimed that he accepted the status quo.

Hive said:
Anyway. Portugal and Sweden will probably need some edits now... Forzaa, master of rehabilitation edits, do you have any suggestions? :D

:rofl:

Not knowing their exact position, plans, etc. before and after session, I can only make a wild guess...

for starters:
Portugal:
-the return of the two defected colonies in SA (from Sweden and Denmark)
- DP slider moves
- *some* solution to the AI colonisation
- an, as yet, undetermined amount of cash..

Sweden:
- DP slider moves
- an, as yet, undetermined amount of cash..
- the galley fleet that was said to have been crossing the atlantic MIGHT need some looking in to...

Fredrik82 said:

Venice will not be selling any more of it's European possesions. Even the Dalmation sale was with a heavy heart, although the generous price the Sultan offered for it did help us to ease the pain of giving it up.

ForzaA said:
The king of Aragon welcomes this decision, though he remains somewhat wary... as we all know what happened a few decades ago, when the Doge had also proclaimed that he accepted the status quo.

Rest assured, Venice will not attack Aragon if she is at war with another nation (unless of course Aragon herself declares on Austria or Russia). That is a promise.

Owen said:
The presence of the English in India is already concerning to the Sublime Porte, but any English presence in the Mediterranean, especially one so far east, would force an immediate cooling of the currently friendly relations between our two countries.

The Sultan is sure this is not the intention of His Majesty.
The English king is more interested in Gibraltar, and we will pay good. :)

Fredrik82 said:
The English king is more interested in Gibraltar, and we will pay good. :)

Why is it the english sea dogs are attempting to establish a pressence in the mediteranean?
.......Altho, your desire of Gibraltar tells me that the english king wishes to control the movement of fleets in and out of the Mediteranean

Owen said:
Well, why didn't you keep playing Portugal then?
:rofl:
You got me there, didn't ya? :D

England need Gibraltar as a naval base, and we'll have one in that area either we get it through war or deals don't matter, though i can't understand why anyone wanna reject easy money like that?
I'm talking about thousands of ducats here! :)