• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Teep said:
Nice AAR. Congratulations.
You got another subscriber.
wonderfull, welcome!

Colonel Bran said:
I am really impressed by the way you handel it all. Personally I would have created slighly more vassals but that is just me.

Great Update, keep it up.
Yes, but I need a power basis, or I will never have considerable manpower to fight any decent nation. Now I'm at +- 8000.
So I plan to keep the rich eastcoast provinces myself and create vassals for more inland conquests. That would make it logical to stay a naval based power.

Any ideas for vassal names or nifty graphics for flags are welcome ofcourse.

Markland does seem big, but don't be mistaken, Skalí only has like 700 inhabitants at the moment.

Huron who-ron?

Immediately following the conquest of Abenaki, and the installment of governors at the acquired territories, the court advisors deemed it necessary to look further than just Abenaki, both over land and sea.
EU3_36.jpg
EU3_37.jpg

By 1430, explorer Liúlfr Egilsson sailed to the duchy of Grænland. In April he sailed east, to arrive at Reykjavik in May after a rather uneventful journey. It seemed that Iceland had broken free from Norway, and was in effect an independent monarchy.
Håkon VII received Liúlfr at his modest palace. A statement of eternal friendship was agreed, a promise of assistance in times of trouble, and a trade treaty for the exchange of scarce products.
When Liúlfr returned home, a few Icelanders joined him, curious about new horizons. Amongst them was a young cartographer, Eigill Skallagimsson.
When in September 1430 Liúlfr Egilsson reported to Prince Liúlfr about the journey, the latter wasn’t all that happy, since he grew envious at the fact that he had to settle with ‘Prince’ whereas Håkon of Iceland had been crowned king.
Whatever his plans, he wouldn’t be given the time to execute them. In 1433 He died after an illness that had dragged on for more than a year. His son Sigurd had been a military commander since 1429, and replaced his father at the court whenever he was too ill to attend to state matters.
The alþingi (or althing, assembly) was satisfied with things and inaugurated him Prince-for-life, prince of Vinland, overlord of Markland and Grænland and the Viking League, Sigurd III Liúlfrson.
EU3_3-1.jpg

In the following years new areas were slowly populated and Sigurd installed governors of Hæðstaður, Fellbær, Eikland, Kvívik, Bjærnavik and Fljótland (although some areas were already under development under Liúlfr).
In 1439 the skræling nations of Huron, Mohawk and Lenape were discovered.
In order to organise border defenses, Sigurd appointed another jarl as soon as Eigur developed into a city:
EU3_5.jpg

Apparantly the Huron had a bad feeling about this and warned jarl Olav within the first month of his reign. It looked like there wasn’t going to be much time to organise the new country to defend the city of Eigur against a possible alliance of Huron, Chippewa, Iroquois and Mohawk, as announced in the warning.

1441-1.jpg

Last edited:
demokratickid said:
Good idea with QFTNW, that'll really, REALLY, R-E-A-L-L-Y come in handy for your situation... :rofl:

I created that event last time aswell, Without it, it's just very, very boring.

I altered the modifiers in the missions so that Vinland is not very likely to get 'discover curacao' or something like that. The Iceland mission seemed more plausible. Colonise missions are modified to be more likely aimed at North america.
House rule for the QFTNW is that I don't go exploring around africa so to speak. Only immedeate surroundings (or iceland :) )

Was Greenland pronounced Grænland or Grœnland in old Norse?
According to wikipedia the œ sound was preserved in Greenlandic but was replaced with æ in Icelandic. The Vinlandic language would probably be based on Greenlandic norse and the name for Greenland would pobably have been Grœnland.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenlandic_Norse
Wikipedia isnt always right though.

I find this AAR interesting. :)

Racil said:
Was Greenland pronounced Grænland or Grœnland in old Norse?
According to wikipedia the œ sound was preserved in Greenlandic but was replaced with æ in Icelandic. The Vinlandic language would probably be based on Greenlandic norse and the name for Greenland would pobably have been Grœnland.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenlandic_Norse
Wikipedia isnt always right though.

I find this AAR interesting. :)

Thanks for joining!

I had Ø in Vinlandic, based on old norse, which is replaced by æ.
Since the Prince hired an Icelandic cartographer/cultural advisor, who used Icelandic writing, we use Icelandic because everything that was passed on to later generations was based on his work.

I had been pondering over that aswell, but it's impossible to keep creating enough placenames consequently without adequate sources. Our most esteemed Icelandic reader IS reliable and consequent about Icelandic so I gave the story a twist to fix the whole problem.

Enewald- Yes Järls aren't that good an idea if you want an empire, but Vinland's ideas about a realm are still a bit medieval. Feudal if you like. I do intend to keep richer provinces to myself. :) And it also justifies the AAR title. :rolleyes:

I would believe the Vinlandic tribe would be less feudal and more clanbased. Familys together - More like Icelandic society around the 12th century. Although the allegiance among such families could be strong (the Järls supporting the ruling family), then they would always fight for their own power...

Maybe create events where one or more of the järls fight for power.. If they win theyll be crowned king of Vinland + their järldom (eventually seceding somethin to their supporters.)
If the established king would win, then he would have the choice to instate a new family as rulers of the Järl, or annex it into the empire.........

What do you think?

Kami said:
I would believe the Vinlandic tribe would be less feudal and more clanbased. Familys together - More like Icelandic society around the 12th century. Although the allegiance among such families could be strong (the Järls supporting the ruling family), then they would always fight for their own power...

Maybe create events where one or more of the järls fight for power.. If they win theyll be crowned king of Vinland + their järldom (eventually seceding somethin to their supporters.)
If the established king would win, then he would have the choice to instate a new family as rulers of the Järl, or annex it into the empire.........

What do you think?

when I started thinking about Vinland revisited, a wanted to create A Holy Viking Empire (HRE, but for Vinland)

Since Erik the red (or was is Leif eriksson) was expelled by the Norwegian King, there is proof that th clan based society of the Vikings had already evolved into something like a monarchy, although clans would probably be in the common memory.
Grænland last had visitors around 1400, after which the inhabitants just might have fled to Markland and Vinland (probably not, but they did get much needed wood there so, why not ...)
At around 1400 Feudalism was probably a little more spread.

Anyways, to make a long story short, since this is purely hypothetical, there is no telling what might have been. I think you can be right.

BUT: Great idea. I love event suggestions, I had been thinking for several weeks how I could build in a few civil wars, rebellious jarls and such. I think your suggestion is hard to script, but I'll try and do something like that.
problem is that I keep creating new countries along the way. I've created Eikland, and had to work the savegame file for hours until it finally worked. (Maybe next time it'll go faster.)

So, I'll try to create events for Vinland that creates a succession crisis. With low stab at the death of a ruler/ruling family or smth like that, an event triggers that triggers a succession war between two Vinlandic factions (a strong jarl and one or more supporting jarls). Vinland itself one one side or the other, or neutral. I could play one of the two factions, or just watch from the sideline. Winner gets event to annex Vinland and 'become' Vinland, and then possibility to recreate its previous jarl, or a personal union of some kind.
Loser stays/becomes vassal of new Vinland.

great idea but that's going to take a while to script ...
I'll try, any help is welcome of course :D :D :D

Can Island get independent in vanilla game, or it's another of the modifications of yours?

Winner said:
Can Island get independent in vanilla game, or it's another of the modifications of yours?

mod :D
btw I named Iceland Ísland on the map, because that's what I think they name their own country. They have an icelandic cartographer you know :)

Last edited:
Urcules said:
Huron who-ron?
By 1430, explorer Liúlfr Egilsson sailed to the duchy of Grænland. In April he sailed east, to arrive at Reykjavik in May after a rather uneventful journey. It seemed that Iceland had broken free from Norway, and was in effect an independent monarchy.
Håkon VII received Liúlfr at his modest palace. A statement of eternal friendship was agreed, a promise of assistance in times of trouble, and a trade treaty for the exchange of scarce products.
When Liúlfr returned home, a few Icelanders joined him, curious about new horizons. Amongst them was a young cartographer, Mattabesta.
When in September 1430 Liúlfr Egilsson reported to Prince Liúlfr about the journey, the latter wasn’t all that happy, since he grew envious at the fact that he had to settle with ‘Prince’ whereas Håkon of Iceland had been crowned king.

lol tnx