• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
XX.​

[Ctesiphon, seat of the Sassanid Dynasty. Kavadh I's throne room.]

ctesiphon.png

[The Palace of Ctesiphon.]​

Kavadh I of Erānshahr: I suppose what Faramarz did was for the best. If Akhshunwar were allowed to do any more damage, we'd probably find our entire holdings in the eastern part of the Empire under the control of the Svetahuna marauders. As well, making concessions to them is a far more favorable decision than giving anything to Byzantium. That is, after all, why the magnates condemned Valkash-- he showed weakness to our eternal foes, the Christians!

Vichir of the State: Undoubtably true, O King of Kings.

Kavadh: Still, the Shahanshah should not bow to any enemy in the first place, no matter how troublesome they may be. Look at what they've taken.

lostholdings.png

[Birjand, Zabol, and Kandahar have been ceded to the Hephthalites. Additionally, plenty of gold was taken from Persian and Alanes coffers to the Hephthalites, to be distributed among their allies, the wriggling insects of the Rouran confederation and the tribes of the Avars.]​

Kavadh: Akhshunwar is a talented warrior, but his lord's precious "Hephthal Kingdom" cannot last the ages like our grand dynasty. At their heart, they aren't much more than mere fighters. They'll leave nothing behind and be replaced by another tribe or clan, to be endlessly shuffled as is the case of all such regions. Perhaps they will leave marks on neighboring countries, but not even the smallest footnotes of war come without a price. The Marauder of Xvairizem will soon know what his folly has cost him.

Vichir of the State: Very good, my lord.

Kavadh: Not only has our war with the Svetahuna concluded, but the battles against the Christians have reached their end. The acquisition of Lebanon proves to be a good omen. Prepare a declaration for me, and send someone to tell Faramarz this: the contents of my mandate, and orders to regroup all the eastern forces into Khorasan and then march north.

Vichir of the State: So we shatter that weak kingdom?

Kavadh: They may adhere to the tenets of Ahura Mazda, but for too long were they prostrate before heretics. Punishment by our hand is only fitting. Now away with you.

[Whee! Midnight update!]

Uh oh those darn plotting Persians are at it again !!

Duke of Wellington: Yep, though I don't blame them. Persia is the only serious Zoroastrian power in the world at the moment, so they don't have any natural allies. War seems to be their only option as far as diplomacy goes.

canonized: Yeah... They were quick to start another fight immediately after little more than a month of peace.

Fingal: Not an ordinary negotiation by most standards, hehe.

Foreword.​

(Originally part of the first post)

It's been a while since I've last played Europa Universalis, but the desire to play has caught me as badly as a terrible cold (which I also have), so I had to come back to it. I'd actually play EUIII, but I lack the funds to get a computer that can actually run it, or to even purchase the software, so it's back to ol' EUII for me. My competency in Europa has likely dulled, but I'll do my best regardless, as this'll be the first real AAR I've ever done. This specific post is preliminary, and will briefly discuss parameters.

1) I decided to try a scenario completely new to me on my return, selecting Lofman's 476 Scenario, version 1.12.
2) The country I've decided on are the Hephthalites in the year 476.
3) The difficulty will be the default Normal/Normal.
4) I'm not much of a history buff, only knowing tidbits here and there, so if I end up embellishing things, forgive me.

XXI.​

[The Mountains of Badakhshan. Site of ongoing construction.]

[It is March of the year 492.]

[Since hostilities against the Persian Empire ended, a war broke out between the Rouran Confederation and the new state of Kucha, consisting of rebellious Rouran subjects within the Tarim Basin. Despite their pathetic performance in the conflict against Persia, the Hephthal Kingdom decided to honor the alliance and declared war against them.]

[On the other hand, the Avar Tribes, who had shown themselves to be displeased with the outcome of the previous war (they had not acquired any territory), decided to abandon the coalition. Akhshunwar entreatied them to rejoin, but they refused. The Hephthal Regent could've sworn that their ambassadors whispered the taunting nicknames of the Rouran, calling them the Juan-Juan-- "wriggling insects". He could not blame them, and abandoned the endeavor, watching the Avars instead align with their old enemies, the Alanes, and the Sabir peoples in the steppes. However, he was still held in high praise by many of their warriors, and before he left, Akhshunwar provided their leaders expensive gifts in good faith.]

[When he returned home, he was clearly aggravated by these recent developments. The Juan-Juan-- Akhshunwar began to prefer that name for them-- would have to deal with the Kucha problem by themselves, posting a sizeable force at the Hephthalite-Kuchan border whose only purpose was intimidation.]

[Even amongst these peaceful mountain ranges, Akhshunwar was having a headache thinking about these matters of state. His thoughts moved to more personal issues...]

Mihrana: You don't... Think there's something wrong with our daughter, do you? As in, mentally?

Akhshunwar: ... I believe that she is receiving... Messages, in her dreams, intended to assist us. I've a few reasons for that.

[Here, Mihrana gives a mirthful laugh.]

Mihrana: Here we go, breaking it down logically. Impress me with that mind of yours, Akhshunwar.

[Her husband can't help but smile.]

Akhshunwar: Ha! No seriously, Mihrana... Mihrandokht's counsel was precognitive. My life was saved twice because of what she's said to me. This provides a certain sense of credibility on utility alone. Then there's the fact that our daughter still has her perfectly ordinary demeanor. Still aloof to strangers... But she otherwise hasn't changed. So she hasn't become a seer or anything, because then she'd shown some... some trait of madness.

Mihrana: Hmm... None of that sounds conclusive.

Akhshunwar: ... And finally... I think whoever's been contacting her tried to do the same with me. I think he may've failed, and I'm not sure why.

Mihrana: You never told me this!

Akhshunwar: I know! I'm sorry. I've just been so busy.

Mihrana: Oh, now you have me worried...

Akhshunwar: If he's helping us, then we don't have too much cause for concern. Still, please keep a closer eye on her when she's taking a nap, but don't lose sleep by watching her too much either.

Mihrana: That's a difficult balance to strike...

[He grasps her hand gently.]

Akhshunwar: Please try?

Mihrandokht: Father?

Akhshunwar: Gah! You startled me! ... What is it?

Mihrandokht: ... I have something to tell you.

[Soon after that, Akhshunwar found himself starting the construction of a new residence in the moutainous regions of Badakhshan. General Ankara was with him, and all throughout, he'd been scratching his head, displaying an obvious confusion.]

Ankara: Interesting area to settle in.

Akhshunwar: I'm not moving away from The Walled City.

Ankara: Then why are you building all of this?

Akhshunwar: This will be... My Summer residence.

Ankara: Hmmm.

[He decided not to tell his fellow Elite the real reason for making a new dwelling here: his daughter had strongly suggested it to him. Though he was thankful her new advice was more specific, he wondered why he was doing this. Still, it wasn't too much trouble...]

Messenger: My lord!

[A rider from The Walled City galloped up to them. As he did so, dust was kicked up behind him, and upon kicking to a stop, the building cloud enveloped Ankara. Akhshunwar had been wise enough to move away, and suppressed a chuckle when his peer suffered a coughing fit. Not realizing what happened, the rider dismounted with a swift leap, kicking up more dust just as Ankara was about to begin ranting. Ignorant of the old warrior's sputtering about, the rider spoke quickly.]

Messenger: Word comes from our agents at the borders. General Faramarz has marched nine thousand men over the Khwarazm borders and is to arrive at Kara-Kum's capital before April!

Akhshunwar: !!!

Ankara: Hurk! Guh! Koff! What'd he say?

Akhshunwar: Inform the capital that I'll be riding back!

Messenger: Yes, my lord!

Ankara: I heard Kara-Kum. Have the Khwarezmites been hit by a revolt or--?

[The Regent trembled, and looked away so his fellow would not see the pained anger on his face.]

Akhshunwar: ... Persia has begun a war with them.

Ankara: ... You know what everyone will want to do. The court, the royal family, the Elites...

Akhshunwar: I know!

Ankara: This... Was a long time coming.

Akhshunwar: I know!

[His voice was as shaky as his form.]

Ankara: I should start mobilizing our forces.

Akhshunwar: No! ... That will be my task.

Another conflict looms over the horizon and then we have an interesting developement with the summer house .. Hmm .. interesting i wonder what the motives are

The war shouldn't be too taxing should it? Don't remeber the other tribes around being too big on the map at the start.

More interested in who's trying to contact them though!

canonized: Whatever the purpose, let's hope Akhshunwar isn't being misled.

Duke of Wellington: War is the only path to success! Diploanna-what?

Fingal: You're probably right about how problematic this upcoming war'll be. The enemy only has a standing army of ten thousand and we've got four times that much >_>;

BONUS! An Interview in Timelines.

canonizedkarasuman.png

Wow. It's hard to imagine I had the honor of it, but I'm proud to say I've just been interviewed by canonized as part of the weekly "You've Been Canonized" pieces of his fantastic AAR epic, "Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World?" As is the case with earlier "YBC" interviews, it comes in three parts.

Here, you can find the interview. If by some slim, slim chance you haven't started reading it, here's "Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World?" itself, starting from the very first page.

XXII.​

[Palace of the King, at Pa-ti-yen.]

[Akhshunwar arrives at the Walled City, and as he passes the gates, he notes that the city has taken on a somewhat different air. It seems to have nothing to do with its people, who go about their business as usual. No new structures had been erected, neither are there any new traders from the East, peddling their strange wares in the streets as they often do. No, whatever had caused this odd change was likely coming from the king's palace. Each step he took towards it, the atmosphere grew increasingly anomalous Though guards were present, none barred his presence. Even if the source of abnormality was present at the very seat of the kingdom, his authority was still recognized. He passed by several Elites, who greeted him with the respect that befits one of his status, which indicated no mutiny was taking place either. Everything seemed perfectly normal, so what...?]

Akhshunwar: Gentlemen, why are you all gathered here?

[The Regent found the generals and senior commanders within the throne room. They usually met at some other chambers for the purposes of planning, so this was all too strange for Akhshunwar. With them, some courtiers were present. A few he did not recognize-- people dressed in Buddhist and Hindu garb, probably representing those territories taken from the Gupta Empire.]

Commander Hormizdak: My lord, we were asked to come here on orders of the King, Toramana.

Akhshunwar: Toramana? I see... Shall we wait for our King, then?

Hormizdak: No, my lord. I'm not sure why, but he simply preferred we meet here.

[Suspicious. To announce anything here would mean that the direction of the Hephthal Horde would be heard by the nobles. Afterwards, it would spread, and become public knowledge. Akhshunwar knew the purpose of all this. His hailing from Khwarezm was public knowledge, and if he did not show decisiveness in his loyalty as a Hephthalite against the Persian aggression by declaring war on Khwarezm and taking their lands before the Sassanids did, he would be seen as weak, and everyone would know it.]

Hormizdak: Regent, the Marzban Faramarz marches Persian troops into Khwarezmite lands, as you surely already know. His troops, numbering to nine thousand, have routed his foe's force of ten thousand, and now he lays siege to the city. His own master is sure to reinforce him with even more troops. My lord, we must act.

siegeofashkabad.png

[The siege of Ashkabad has begun.]​

[Akhshunwar knew what they were asking of him. To lead them to a war that would devastate his nation of birth. But he didn't truly feel any nationalism for the state, but rather, he remembered his promise to return to his old friends in Urgench. He wondered what Delir was doing now, if he were still alive. Would he, and the others who'd managed to find some way out of the streets and do something with themselves, recognize him? How many of them would he ruin with this war? What would Mihrana think?]

???: Cast off all mercy! They were your enemies the moment they unjustly released themselves from vassalage. There should be nothing less than complete subjugation for them, and those that resist should die.

???: Well said, my lady! It should be the fate of all who defy a just king.

[He cast a glare in the direction of those who spoke.]

Akhshunwar: Who are you, to talk so openly of Hephthal affairs?

[The first one to respond was a man of impressive stature, dressed in blue, ceremonial armor. Akhshunwar immediately thought there was something unnatural about him, but could not place an exact reason. His form was such that he commanded authority, and as he stepped forward, those in his path obliged him.]

Bumin: I, Bumin of Ergenekon, am at your service. Many of my people live within your borders, though the majority are in lands farther north.

[After him came a woman who was wrapped in heavy clothes. Though dressed similarly to many of the local women of the Walled City, the bindi on her forehead made it clear that she was from the south. Her eyes... Akhshunwar found that looking into those pupils was like staring into a terrible depth, threatening to consume him. Such a quality made it rather difficult to maintain eye contact with her.]

Chhaya: My name is Chhaya, and my father is a noble from Thar. We are followers of Shiva, but my earthly deference is to the kingdom.

[Both bowed, but the Regent could not help but think that these two were the source of his unsettling feelings.]

Akhshunwar: Your loyalty is commendable.

Chhaya: The leadership's accomplishments are worthy.

Bumin: Indeed, and we will see more, of that I'm sure.

Akhshunwar: Certainly.

[These two were not a problem, at least not at the moment. He'd worry about what complications they could cause in the future, later. He drew a deep breath, before moving on.]

Akhshunwar: ... We are poised to act against our Persian enemies and deter them from an undeserving reward. A declaration of war will be sent to Khwarazm's king, and a copy sent to Kavadh so that he shall be assured of our position. Commander, many of our forces are gathered around Pa-ti-yen and are ready to move. You, General Ankara, and Commander Alagh shall seperate three different forces to reach the other provinces before the Persian armies reach them. The General himself will be in charge of the siege on the capital, while you, Homizdak, will go to Karabogaz to deal with Khwarazm's army. I will head to Kara Kum with a force of two thousand cavalry to keep an eye on the Persian siege.

[There is mumbling amongst those present.]

Bumin: Regent, shouldn't it be you that fights the enemy's force?

Akhshunwar: We must be on our guard with regards to all Persian movements. It will be easier for everyone if it was myself keeping an eye on them.

Chhaya: Seems to be a suitable justification, but it would be a shame to disappoint this man if something goes wrong at Karabogaz.

[She holds up a coin...]

coinofkhingila.jpg

[A silver coin of the late Khingila I.]​

[Needless to say, Akhshunwar did not like where this conversation was going.]

Akhshunwar: I know what you're implying, and there will be no problems. Everyone here can be assured of that.

Chhaya: Still, I think many of us would simply like to know the answer to one question: will your heart be in this war?

[The glare returned as he regarded Chhaya, and her abyss-like eyes stared back.]

Akhshunwar: Who are you to ask me such a question? I have served the kingdom for years, and to doubt my plans now for flimsy reasons is foolish. If you really consider yourself a subject of Hephthal, you would know this. Not to mention that Homizdak is one of our finest Elites! Your words seem to say that he is incapable of leading in my place, and if you feel that way, say that to him and not to me. Or maybe it would be best if you said nothing at all, about matters that may be beyond your understanding. Good day, Lady Chhaya, and may word of our victories reach your ears.

[With a curt nod, he left. Homizdak bows before he and the other members of the Hephthal military accompany him. The courtiers watch them leave, and then begin speaking amongst each other with refreshed vigor after they're gone.]

Chhaya: Temper, temper... I take it he doesn't know of my engagement with Toramana yet.

Bumin: It would seem not. Do you look forward to being referred to as "Your Majesty"?

Chhaya: Quite.

Hmm insidious movements there ! Poor guy , he's stuck with destroying something so dear to him !

Tskb18: Though they were originally called the Rouran ("soft-like"), they eventually began to be called Ruru (to the Europeans, Juan-Juan), all meaning "wriggling insects". Funnily enough, it's an insult that stuck so well that they apparently came to accept the name of "wriggling insects".

Duke of Wellington: I suppose you could cheat and find out about one of them by rummaging around through the internet, but that's your prerogative. =P As for a map, the USB drive that I have the saves on got taken away for a small while, so I can't have a map of what parts of the world I know about just yet.

canonized: Well, I suppose for the sake of speaking positively, at least he plans to do it himself rather than let folks like the Sassanids do it, an enemy who'd benefit in the process. Still, it's safe to say he'd rather not do this at all.

Fingal: Yes, I enjoyed writing her. Expect her later :D