• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm, interesting. This means that electors (and members - the boundaries of the empire should be able to move!) can be dynamic. :)

It should be quite difficult of course, but it'd be pretty cool.

Imagine making the elevated kingdom of Burgundy an elector. :cool:

Historically the Dutch & Swiss managed to leave the empire at the peace of Westphalia, so I'd imagine that it would be possible to do so under the right conditions.

It would be even better if the opposite is possible aswell; someone joining the empire as part of a peace treaty (forced by the Emperor :eek:)

Grubnessul said:
Historically the Dutch & Swiss managed to leave the empire at the peace of Westphalia, so I'd imagine that it would be possible to do so under the right conditions.

It would be even better if the opposite is possible aswell; someone joining the empire as part of a peace treaty (forced by the Emperor :eek:)
It is possible for provinces to leave/join the empire. How exactly this would work i do not know. But it's probably going to be hard.

Well, it's correct that Bavaria and Hannover became electors. As long as they were dukes under the HRE. Austria was offered it too, but coulnd't as they were referred to as a kingdom. Bavaria lost their electing when I think it was Max Emmanuel was crowned king of Bavaria by France. The Bavaria was a kingdom and couldn't be an elector no more, the same with the shift of Brandenburg into Prussia. The Kingdom of Prussia had no vote, but Brandenburg was an elector. Possibly there should be a number of countries that can be elector, but to be elector you must have certain government. hmm?

Filip de Norre said:
Well, it's correct that Bavaria and Hannover became electors. As long as they were dukes under the HRE. Austria was offered it too, but coulnd't as they were referred to as a kingdom. Bavaria lost their electing when I think it was Max Emmanuel was crowned king of Bavaria by France. The Bavaria was a kingdom and couldn't be an elector no more, the same with the shift of Brandenburg into Prussia. The Kingdom of Prussia had no vote, but Brandenburg was an elector. Possibly there should be a number of countries that can be elector, but to be elector you must have certain government. hmm?

I'd quite like it if there was a system whereby one can be granted a vote subject to certain conditions - e.g.

i) Owning more than three provinces in the HRE, over which ones has cores.
ii) Having good relations (100+) with every elector, and very good (150+) relations with the current emperor.
iii) POSSIBLY: Having German as a national culture.

Adding electors is not exactly historical - in 1624 Bavaria was added to the secular electors, but this was a transfer from the Palatinate, and in 1648 a new seat was created for the Count Palatine of the Rhine, but this could be seen as a recreation of the old seat could it not?

It was only in 1692 that a new electoral seat was created for the Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg in order to maintain a balance of Catholic and Protestant interests, it was only under the threat from Napoleon that major changes to the system were adopted, and these new electors never acutally got to vote before the end of the empire.

So - throughout the EUIII timeframe we only have two examples of a new electorship being granted - or one if we disregard the recreation of the Palatine electorship. Therefore I wouldn't mind too much if the process weren't included in game.

It'd be nice if it were possible (perhaps only by event?) - but I'm indifferent. My only real concern is that I hope it'll be possible for your nation (or parts of it, at least) to join or leave the empire. The Netherlands did, and it'd be cool if Switzerland could leave, or perhaps more of Italy Join - maybe even Hungary, and Poland! :D

Of course, as I've said all along, i'll be very happy to see a non-German being voted emperor. Zigismund & Charles Quint were, and we all know we want Francis II to be crowned emperor in someone's AAR. :p

It is possible for:

• An elector to be banned from the Empire and then replaced by a more suitable elector.
  • An elector to be annexed and a new member state to be given elector status.
  • Suitable lands to be added to the HRE.
  • No-longer-suitable-lands to be removed from the HRE.
  • Brief periods with fewer than 7 electors.
  • Periods when there may even be more than 7 electors.

The HRE is much more of a living, breathing political entity in EU3. :cool:

Wow! :eek:

Thats amazing. :)

Out of interest, are these options controlled by the emperor, or the empire as a collective? How does that work? If I'm the emperor, can I ban an elector, or change imperial boundaries?

Nice update, but somehwat disappointing that the AI has so much trouble hanging on to what it has taken in war.

EDIT:archive updated as always.

EDIT2:BtW, is there any way to show the progress of enemy sieges of your provinces in the outliner? That would be very usefull.

Last edited:
Great update, T! I love the fact that regardless of who decides to reinforce a siege, it's always the nation who initiated the siege who leads it. That's wonderful news. :)

No new wars started... good. :p :D

Looks promising. I really like the combat siege thing and how its been reworked. Right now, armies are the thing that annoy me most in EU2 games, it was probably HOI2 and Vicky that spoiled me...

Hope you vassalised Bohemia by the time ink dried on the peace treaty... and then gang up on Brandenburg together with them. :D

Even though my force is smaller than the Brandenburg armies that helped with the siege, control of the province goes to be since I was the one to initiate the siege.
Can I assume that a leader attached to an allies force is able to "steal" the siege regardless of who initiated it?

And I too would love to know more about the mechanics of the HRE - are those options you listed above random, AI controlled, options for the player, etc.

As far as the war goes, it seems things have turned back your way. I can only hope you can find a way to bring them to the table soon (assuming you can make a separate peace.)

Siege-stealing is no longer possible. I don't recall if you get the siege bonus from a leader that has a better siege rating if he belongs to another country that later arrives at the siege (probably not); but you do get the bonus if one of your leaders later arrives at the siege.

The HRE stuff I mentioned above is mostly controled by contextual events.

As for Saxony's part in the war with Bohemia...I won't spoil the story by telling you the outcome yet. IIRC, the next instalment will provide those details.

Registered said:
EDIT2:BtW, is there any way to show the progress of enemy sieges of your provinces in the outliner? That would be very usefull.
Not at present. It's in the tooltip for that line of the outliner, though, so it's simply a matter of hovering over the little siege symbol for a moment to see the details. Not sure if that will change or not.

Hungarian Lord said:
Did the non-sate culture penalties remain on the tax income the same or did it get a bit altered?
I don't recall the exact penalties in EU2. In EU3 there is a different penalty depending on whether the culture is accepted or not (remember that all cultures in the same cultural group are considered to be "accepted"; and that cultures that are in other groups can become accepted over time).

MrT said:
I don't recall the exact penalties in EU2. In EU3 there is a different penalty depending on whether the culture is accepted or not (remember that all cultures in the same cultural group are considered to be "accepted"; and that cultures that are in other groups can become accepted over time).

But say if take a province from Bogemia when you sign the peace treaty will the province get any bigger revolt risk and lesser tax income over time or will they stay as before the province was conquered? :)

valzoz_p94 said:
But say if take a province from Bogemia when you sign the peace treaty will the province get any bigger revolt risk and lesser tax income over time or will they stay as before the province was conquered? :)
There is still a period of "nationalism" that will increase the revolt risk and reduce income from that province (over and above any other issues such as the culture or religion of the province).

I just can't get enough...

I can't wait to read the conclusion of this war ! And I really can't believe that your AAR has only been running for 3 years in-game timewise. It feels like 40 years !

What is happening with Anhalt ? Their capital province has half a Brandeburg flag and the other half is Saxony's... And have they participated in the war efforts ?