• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fall Seelowe

Operation Sealion – Guderian’s plan called for an amphibious assault from Dublin across the Solway Firth to Cardiff, a remote section of Wales. The amphibious action would take place after six divisions of German Fallschirmjagers – paratroopers – had dropped and secured the roads and bridges … once the paradrop was complete, 6 divisions of Marines would land and secure the landing zone, immediately followed by 24 divisions of heavy armor/motorized. Once the site was complete, a further 137 divisions were ready to make the crossing … in total, Guderian’s plan called for an eventual 194 divisions to land on the British home islands … in the air, 196 squadrons provided a ‘canopy of death’, giving complete air superiority and ripping the Allies forces to shreds.

“A stunning plan, General.”

“It had the element of surprise.”

“The six divisions of paratroopers were cut to shreds, mostly while still in the air.”

“Which was expected. But they did manage to hold out long along for the Marines to seize the beachheads, allowing the invasion to succeed.”

By May 6th, von Kluge’s Army Group A had assaulted Liverpool in a planned breakout and List’s Army Group B had taken Bristol … Guderian’s Army Group C met up with up with heavy resistance from Montgomery’s British 1st Army in Birmingham, but with reinforcements, Monty was outnumbered 158 to 23 and forced to retire to London … by the 29th, Monty and London are encircled and List assaults the city with 161 divisions, annihilating the 39 divisions of British troops left in the city … Guderian drives north towards Scotland, and on June 24, he assaults the last British stronghold at Scapa Flow …. 2 days later, the whole of the British Isles is in German hands.

“The British refused to initially surrender, as you anticipated.”

“Yes, but it was a fool’s dream that they clung to. No white knight was coming to save them.”

With virtually no overseas possessions left, on August 19 the British government abdicates, effectively handing over the British empire to Germany who declares that Britain is ‘no more.’ The British possessions in the Pacific are handed over to the Japanese, the Caribbean islands and territories immediately pledge allegiance to America and British North Africa is given its independence as Egypt. The British empire was truly gone.

“Poland. France. Russia. Britain. All crushed under the tracks of your Maus Panzers. You must have wept like Alexander when you looked out across the Pentland Firth and realized you had no more European enemies.”

“You make it sound, Chronicler, that I hungered for glory or fame. That has never been my vocation. I did my job as a soldier in the Germany army. Nothing more.”

“You conquered two-thirds of the planet, General. It’s a hell of an accomplishment. History will record you alongside Caesar or Napoleon or Alexander. ‘Guderian – the Fist of the Third Reich’. Quite the legacy.”

“Legacies are for historians, Chronicler. Only fools and egotists are concerned with them while they are alive, and I am neither.”

“Or they would have, if things had not unraveled so badly for you.”

Sealion1.jpg

Sealion2.jpg

Sealion3.jpg

Sealion4.jpg

Sealion5.jpg

Sealion6.jpg

Sealion7.jpg

Sealion8.jpg

In-game Notes And Dates Of Importance To Germany:

May 3 – 6 divisions paradrop onto Cardiff – all wiped out but Cardiff taken

May 4 and May 5 – initial invasion force lands at Cardiff

May 6 – Liverpool breakout

May 10 – Liverpool taken

May 12 – Bristol taken

May 14 – Birmingham taken

May 17 – Sheffield taken – England is cut in 2

May 18 – Portsmouth taken

May 19 – heavy resistance in Dover and London

May 21 – Blackpool taken

May 26 - Plymouth taken

May 28 – Dover taken

May 29 – Norwich taken .. London is encircled

June 2 – Sutherland falls

June 4 – London falls

June 7 – Edinburgh falls

June 8 – Benin-Schal created

June 11 – Glascow falls

June 14 – Dufferline falls

June 19 – Inverness falls

June 23 – Stornoway falls

June 24 – Guderian assaults Scapa Flow

June 26 – Guderian takes Scapa Flow – British Isles are captured

June 27 – created Nigeria

August 19 – after Japan takes the last of the British VP, Germany annexed the UK

August 20 – Guinea created

August 26 – Sudan created

September 3 – Egypt created (Italy trades African provinces for Lyon and Marseilles)

September 4 – Portugal created

September 5 – Saint-Herot, France: Guderian gathers senior corps commanders to go over plans for ‘Fall Icarus’, the invasion of Iceland

I cannot wait to find out now about the Fall. He was on the top of the world, and now he is condemned. What machiations will now occur?

Die Welle des Terrors

Stauffenberg.jpg

September 6, 1945 - at 12:42pm, Munich Group founder Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, a senior officer attached to the Reich Central Planning Committee, detonated a suitcase bomb that he carried into the daily cabinet meeting.

coup1.jpg

The bomb tore apart the meeting room and collapsed the subsequent building structure, killing almost all of the high ranking officials of the German cabinet, including Hitler, Borman, Frick and twenty-six others. Eighteen senior staff officers – including 12 Generals - and forty-four staff officers were also killed.

In the immediate aftermath, Winston Churchill, the former leader of the British war effort released a statement that praised the conspirators: "There was in Germany an opposition that was turning weaker and weaker because of the sacrifices and an exacerbated international policy, but which belongs to the greatest noble causes that has ever been plotted in the political history of a country. Those men fought exclusively motivated by the intranquility of their conscience. During all the time they were invisibles for us because they had to hide themselves. But when they have died, the resistance was seen. Their deaths do not serve to exculpate everything that went wrong in Germany. But their feats and sacrifices are the foundation of a new age. We expect that this heroic chapter of the interior history of Germany finds its just judgment."

Ironically, the Munich Group’s assassination of Hitler and his cabinet, and their attempted coup, which was intended to bring about the end to the totalitarianism that had engulfed Germany, brought to power an even darker evil.

Following the confusion that the assassination caused, the Munich Group tried to seize power with General Ludwig Beck as their leader but the SS balked at such an arrangement and counter-couped. SS Reichsfuhrer Heinrich Himmler, along with SS Oberstgruppenfuhrer Ernst Kaltenbrunner and SS Brigadesfuhrer Ernst Thalmann seized power and installed former Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels as Reich Chancellor, with Thalmann appointing himself Speaker of the Reichstag, Himmler being appointed Minister of Security and Kaltenbrunner the Head of Military Intelligence.

SS1.jpg

Beck and his main conspirators, Count Hans-Jürgen von Blumenthal, Major General Matthias Kleinheisterkamp and Generals Gerhard Glokke and Hans von Salmuth were shot on sight. Lists of enemies of the Reich were drawn up and anybody who was even remotely associated with the Munich Group, as well as those who had raised the ire of the new regime, was marked for death. Seventy-three Generals, Admirals and Air Marshalls were targeted for execution, as well as forty-four high-ranking party officials, including Chief of Staff Adolf Heusinger and Chief of the Army Werner von Fritsch, both of whom had managed to miraculously survive the initial explosion. In total, over seven thousand lost their lives in the tyrannical purge.

coup2.jpg

Of the high ranking staff marked for death, only eleven escaped the bloodbath.

In Saint-Herot, France, Chief of Special Operations Guderian had gathered senior corps commanders to go over plans for ‘Fall Icarus’, the invasion of Iceland. Attending with Guderian were Field Marshalls von Rundstedt, von Kleist and List, Generals Ringel and von Bock, Lieutenant General Goritz, Rear Admiral Bohm, Air Generals Sperrle and Goring and Air Marshall Kitzinger.

saintherot.jpg

A fierce storm had knocked out all communication to the area, which juts out into the Atlantic Ocean. As such, the group was unaware of the coup or the confusion and subsequent terror that reigned in Berlin. Eventually, word was passed along to them that Kaltenbrunner, who had a long-standing grudge against Guderian, had marked all for death. Given how isolated Saint-Herot is, the SS Kommando agents were delayed in reaching Guderian and his group.

This gave British SAS agents time to carry out a ‘snatch and grab’ operation. The SAS had long operated an ‘underground railway’ out of Lampaul - a remote island off the coast of Brest, secretly ferrying German resistance leaders and other high profile enemies of the Reich who had managed to escape the clutches of the SS and Gestapo. Using modified U-Boats, the SAS would transport the refugees north to Cork, and then onto St. John’s, Newfoundland. When Ireland fell, the way centre was moved from Cork to Reykjavik, Iceland.

The SAS agents arrived in time to capture all ten, along with several families of the officers (including Guderian’s wife and youngest child – his oldest was killed in Berlin by the SS) who had made the trip to enjoy the quite respite.

All ten were denounced by Himmler as traitors to the German people and an effective death sentence was placed upon their heads, as well as the heads of any of their family members.

coup3.jpg

Even though they were innocent of the charges that Himmler placed upon them, they were not innocent of crimes against humanity while serving under the German Reich. A special tribunal, adjudicated by Stanley Forman Reed, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, was set up to try each defendant.

Last edited:
A Date With Destiny

“I want to thank you, General. This had been most informative.”

“I am glad I could be of help, Chronicler. I wish you well.”

As I got up and started to walk away, I glance back. The reactions as I leave are always different. Von Bock looked like he was about to cry. Goring looked defiant, but it was a house of paper, nothing more. Goritz looked sad, like his soul was being drained with each step I took away from him. Sperrle smiled, though it wasn’t friendly or inviting, but the smile one makes as the last person you will ever talk to walks away and all that remains is the bitter cold hand of death.

Guderian? He looked the same. Calm. Seemingly unconcerned about his fate. He could have been waiting for the morning situation report rather than waiting on his execution. His date with the afterlife was just around the corner, that horizon just in reach, and yet he seemed so normal. The damnest thing.

“One last question, General.”

“Of course.”

“Any regrets?”

Kitzinger pleaded at this point. Begged for his life, regretting all that he had ever done. He was a broken man and it showed. Ringel replied that he ‘only wished he could have been of more service to the Fuhrer, and it was my life and not his that was taken by the traitors.’ List couldn’t reply, his lip just curled as a tear ran down his cheek.

“Are you asking if I could take back anything? If I could go back and alter time to change the situation I am in?”

“Yes.”

That pause. The moment of truth.

“No, Chronicler. I do regret a thing. I did my duty to the best of my ability in the service of the peoples of Germany. No soldier could ask for a greater life than I have led. No soldier could have asked for a greater fate than leading the men of his country to victory. Do I regret being here in this dank and miserable place? Of course. But that was the whim of destiny. Of fate. I could no more control it than I could reach out and hold a hurricane in my palm.”

“No regrets over any of the non-threatening neutrals that you crushed beneath your heel?”

“No, Chronicler. Such is the fate of those who wish to dance on the head of a flame rather than choosing their own destiny. In total war, there are no neutrals.”

Classic Guderian.

I turned to leave, when the light came on.

germany1.jpg

germany2.jpg

germany3.jpg

germany4.jpg

germany5.jpg

germany6.jpg

obviously some commandos under the command of manstein goes into the prison and free guderian and the rest and then flee to argentina where they dominate south america....right?;) :cool:

Or perhaps the US needs Guderian to go reverse the tide? Retaking the world seems to be in vogue just now.

An Offer of a Lifetime

They can’t be serious, can they? I was told what the light meant, but it never came on for any of the others. I thought for sure that Goring or von Kleist would get the light, but it never came.

Interesting.

“General. Can Germany be beaten?”

Rundstedt refused to answer, to do so would betray his country, he said. Kleist shook his head painfully, slowly.

“It all depends, Chronicler. Do you believe in miracles?”

“So you are saying no.”

“Germany has fifty-four nations that have pledged allegiance to her. You have what – four left? Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines and Canada. Hardly something that will give Himmler or Goebbels cause to stay awake.”

“Most of Germany’s allies are installed puppets who barely field an army.”

“Yes, but India and Italy and Rumania and Hungary can field an army. Germany and her allies can field almost 1500 divisions. How many can you muster at this point?”

“About three hundred or so.”

“So, you invade with your entire force, throwing the dice for one last shot. And then Rommel or Mannstein or whoever is given the job crushes you beneath the force of almost 15 million soldiers.”

“Come on – not all of them are front line troops. There are a hell of a lot of garrisons in the Third Reich keeping the people in line.”

“Of course. Germany can field 276 squadrons in the air. The Allies?”

“Around thirty or so. But Germany has only twenty fighters.”

“And how many do you have, Chronicler?”

“None.”

“Quite the grim statistic, isn’t it?”

“So you are saying that it is hopeless.”

“No, nothing is ever truly hopeless. What did Churchill say – ‘it iss always darkest before the dawn?’ You are lucky that Germany has no navy at this point, so you are safe behind the fortress of water that America is blessed with. But then again, you have no navy as well, as the second you launch a new navy, German naval bombers send it to the ocean’s depths.”

“Does Germany have any weaknesses?”

“Aside from Italy?”

“Yes, aside from the Italians.”

“There is a lot of territory to cover. A lot of territory to defend. The German blanket can not cover it all.”

“How would you proceed.”

“Are you asking me how I would defeat my own people?”

“Hypothetically.”

A pause. List laughed at me. Ringel glared and turned his back.

“Eliminate Japan. Build up your navy and fighter squadrons. Protect your shores and then pick your battles here and there. Fight where you want to fight and keep your opposition guessing as to where the next blow will land.”

Interesting.

“But in the end, Chronicler, you will still lose.”

“Are you so sure of that, General?”

“The numbers do not favor you.”

“The numbers didn’t favor you and yet you conquered everything in your path.”

“I had the fortunes of war on my side.”

“So you are saying we can’t win because we don’t have a Guderian.”

Silence.

He has that gleam in his eye. What is he thinking?

“It would be a challenge, Chronicler. One that I don’t think favors your side.”

“Would it be a challenge for you?”

That laugh. Its almost startling coming from within these walls.

“You must be mad, Chronicler.”

“Why is that, General?”

“Are you seriously asking me to betray my country?”

“General, your country betrayed you. Plain and simple. Donitz. Kietal. Steiner. Heusinger. All dead. Over seven thousand of your fellow officers slaughtered. Your Germany doesn’t exist anymore, General. Your Fuhrer, the man you pledged allegiance to, is dead. In his place are raving lunatics more concerned with advancing their Final Solution than with advancing the stature of the Third Reich.”

“Did you make this offer to the others?”

“No, General. We have competent leaders. You may have heard of them. Patton. Eisenhower. Bradley. But what we don’t have is a Napoleon that can think outside the box. Or an Alexander that can dream up some wild amphibious assault. Or a Guderian, the Iron Fist of the Reich, who can confidently wade into a firestorm without getting burnt.”

“I will not betray my country.”

“Shall I show you the pictures of how Donitz died? At how Kleinheisterkamp’s body was hung in the streets for all to see? How about your own child, General – do you want me to go get pictures of him lying on the ground covered in blood?”

Silence.

“The situation as it stands right now, General, is that you are already a traitor to the German people. Himmler decreed it as such and Goebbels happily signed it. All your glories, all your accomplishments don’t exist anymore.”

“The people of Germany know.”

“No they won’t. They know that there was a General who betrayed them. They will learn that Rommel was the one who conquered the British in Africa. That is was Dietl who took Ireland. Von Mannstein was the one who crossed into India. Model was the one who single-handily destroyed Stalin. You will be erased from history, General – history is written by the victors, and if Germany ends up on top, you are a traitor to future generations.”

He said that he isn’t concerned about his legacy, about his history, but his face shows otherwise. Every man wants a place in the sun when he is gone, a chapter in a history book that shows he was alive and meant something more than just reproduction of the species. Can I play on his ego?

“The situation is simple, General. I walk out that door and you die. A disgraced officer whose country has abandoned him. An officer who left his people at the whims of madmen. Do you really want to see Goebbels and Himmler in charge of Germany? Of Europe?”

I can see that spark in his eye again. The sparks that come through so bright in all those photos of him astride his Panzers.

“If you take up my offer and you lose, well, you die a traitor to your people, so it’s the same as swinging from that noose tomorrow. But at least your surviving son – you know, the one the SS didn’t butcher – will know that his father didn’t take the coward’s way out. That his father tried to save his country from the clutches of pathological sociopaths who have seized the reins of power.”

I mention his son, and I can see his anger rise. Good.

“But what if you win? What if you manage to overcome what are almost insurmountable odds and manage to take back your country? What will your son think of you then, General? That he is a traitor to his country? Or that when his country needed him most, when his country needed a leader most, his father was there.”

Silence.

“I walk out that door, General, and in a few hours you will be the dust of history. Nothing more. Or you can take back your country and be the savior or your people.”

Silence.

“Take your time, General.”

lifeless said:
obviously some commandos under the command of manstein goes into the prison and free guderian and the rest and then flee to argentina where they dominate south america....right?;) :cool:

lol ... ah, yes - the Free German State ... a spanish version of Rick's Cafe, sitting on a lonely street in Buenos Aeries... :)

Evil Capitalist said:
Or perhaps the US needs Guderian to go reverse the tide? Retaking the world seems to be in vogue just now.

Would be quite the challange to reverse the tide... Germany is a beast at this point, and even a minor like India has something like 60 INF...

The Quasi Mid-Game Break

In theory, this is either the mid-point of the story (if Guderian accepts the offer), or the end (and chooses to die).

When I started this out, I fully expected to get stomped by Russia and the Allies. The last time I played as Germany – which, admittedly, was a while back – as I was rolling into Moscow the Allies hit me in France, and that was about it. So, I assumed that something similar would happen (the time before, Russia stopped me cold just outside of Poland). Hence, why Guderian was scheduled to be executed.

As the game progressed, and it was obvious that this wasn’t going to be the case, the notion of the Munich Group came to mind, that a coup would happen and that Guderian and the other war-mongers would be tried for crimes against humanity by a new German regime anxious to repair their relations with the Allies and the world.

Then I read about the re-taking of a previous saved game (Spacehusky, in post #174, mentions that it was “Rich-Love taking down Kanitatlan's monster”, but I cant find the AAR anywhere). This sounded damn fun and a hell of a challenge. Would it be possible to take down the AI after it has such a monstrous advantage?

Against a human, not a freaking chance. Even with every single beach getting 3 divisions, the Axis would still have something like 800 or so divisions ready to roll over the Americas. Given a 2 year lead time to build up a proper navy and invasion force, come 1948 Canada would be starting German immersion classes.

But against the AI? I’m not so sure its impossible. But I am sure it would be a hell of a lot more interesting than just crushing the AI led Americas for an end of game victory screen.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the decision either way, as to how you think Guderian should decide.

How would you decide, if you were in his place?

Also, let me know of what you think of the direction of the story so far.

An excellent AAR so far. What would Guderian do? Mmmm. I think the temptation to strike back against the hand of destiny would be strong, very strong. He would obviously need conditions. After all, he was prepared to die. It is the Americans who need him, not the other way around (and there is the small matter of what is the point if he only is executed at the end of it). But providing those matters could be arranged to his liking, and he be given the necessary authority, then yes, I think he might.

dag231 said:
How would you decide, if you were in his place?

Go for it! :p

An AAR this good needs to keep going regardless of this petty issue of 'realism' or what the 'characters would want'. I demand to see Guderian marching on Berlin within two years :eek:o

I think that decisions a no-brainer. After all, no matter how calm Guderian seems on the outside, he IS sentenced to death. Self preservation should take precedent over any misgivings he might have. Besides I want this to continue :D .