• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
huh. Never even knew that showcase thread existed :)

I believe a one sided truce can happen when a Guarantee is revoked. Maybe PLC was doing that to TO before they got too small to do it anymore?
Oh yeah, you're right. It never occurred to me that TO might have guaranteed the PLC. TO was making claims on PLC, but they might have done it!

Looking good! How would you have approached Europe if France hadn't been swallowed up or Commonwealth not imploded? Did you have an idea of taking a few OPM's and slowly expanding or was it a case of waiting to see what was there?

Thank you all for the comments!

@dragsfan5
My original plan was to hit the weakest colonizer using France as an ally. I'd make claims to a few of it's colony's provinces to get the warscore from there. I'd sneak an army with France to siege my enemy's provinces in Europe. After that, I'd be able to release a vassal (Aragon or Scotland) to begin my total conquest and I'd break all its alliances. Turns out, the weakest one was France and the other three made an alliance. So, I got stuck with a french vassal and three nations that are way too big for me to declare war on.

I was ready to stay away from Europe for 30 years, until I get on par with their MIL tech (spoiler alert: in the next chapter, we'll finally hit that!). So, I'd be fighting only africans for two chapters. After that, I'd still hit the Scandinavians, because they are the ones that are looking weaker at the moment. Commonwealth would become the next target, as it's MIL tech is far behind. So, instead of trying to get the PLC as vassal, we'd probably try to get TO and Ruthenia as vassals.

I get the feeling commonwealth will become my Crimea :) Nations way behind in tech are ideal feeding nations. Their rebels take also this low tech, which allows for easy rebel killing.

This is a great AAR. Why did you pick Iroquois? Are there other natives with decent ideas to attempt this?

I recommended it to him, as in the colonial age, the iroquios Alliance of tribes likely was the ONLY federation of native north americans, that historically had the best shot at repelling the colonizers from the moment they started colonizing north america.

I think I read too much Diana gabaldon :p

@Lamahorse
Thank you! It was a complete mix of what Frungy78 and atwix said. There's a historical reason, there's the position and the size. There's also the great NIs that Iroquois have:
National Manpower +25%, Diplomat +1, Manpower Recovery +20%, Discipline +5%, Diplo Rep +1, Better Relations Over Time +50%.

Those are all great ideas for a WC.

I never even looked at the traditions for Iroquios.. Thats very nice national traditions!

Is it feasible to do a WC with primitives?

In 1.8 I did the No Trail of Tears achievement. That was down to being lucky enough to seize an English colony whilst England was being gobbled up by a France with an enclave on the home island. A Westernised Tribe consisting of the whole of the continential USA is a beast.

Is it feasible to do a WC with primitives?

To my knowledge, no primitive WC has been accomplished. So this is a bit of unknown territory!

To my knowledge, no primitive WC has been accomplished. So this is a bit of unknown territory!
Back in 1.4 or 1.5, I don't remember, I did it with Aztecs basically using the infinite colonial nation money exploit. With 1.7 I did it with Cheeroke, staying native and exploiting the game all around, from religious unity missions for infinity ADM and DIP, infinity stability from pagan event, infinity money by army maintenance. Was a hell of fun, I was so many mil tech behind, but only using 10:1 to stack wipe any army.

But, EU4 pre and after 1.8 is a complete different game, and much, much harder to do a WC in time, so please, Ikkiks be the first one to do and AAR it :)

Chapter 8: The European Wars

"Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future, too."
- Marcus Aurelius

This chapter's plans:
1) Conquer provinces in Africa
2) Vassalize the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
3) Return the PLC's cores
4) Feed more provinces to Sweden

We're now in the mid-game. It's when things get serious. It's in this phase of the game that we decide our fate. If we do well in the 17th century, the rest of the game is just a matter of cleaning up. If we don't, the WC fails. The game isn't on rails anymore, we have to adapt to every change the game presents to us. So, let's begin.

GNZvqHT.jpg

The fog in the eastern world cleared. We can see the monster that is Orissa. My favorite vassal, Khalkha, is alive. I'm really happy with that. Ming imploded, as always. Timurids were destroyed. Kazakh is pretty big.

FDl7TKB.jpg

Let's start, time to take African land. We have a few claims there, so let's use it while we wait for the truces in Europe to end.

eSfdvJI.jpg

Quite an easy war, to be honest. The Africans are far behind in tech and our new general is pretty strong.

vsgpJiG.jpg

Meanwhile, in Europe, the PLC is at war! This's great, absolutely great. This is too good, it's like a chocolate cake on top of a strawberry cake with icing.

tY9lLhE.jpg

This, on the other hand, isn't good at all. Someone ate the cake and left the plate on the table for us to clean.

glzXsXq.jpg

Back to our business, the war is over. We took the provinces we made claims on.

Qurqnq1.jpg

Spain is fighting the Habsburg. My first reaction is to declare war on Spain. But I don't see how we can beat them at this point. The Austrians have no chance. We can't fight both Spain and Great Britain at the same time, not yet. A war like this could take a long time, we could lose the easy PLC vassal. We can't afford that chance.

WPX8O0t.jpg

It's time! No allies will be called, that's important! We don't want Ruthenia sieging Warszawa and blocking us from vassalizing the PLC. These small details can break a game.

There's nothing to talk about the war. They had a pretty small army and only four provinces that we sieged easily. Full annex.

wVlEtuY.jpg

Here's a different trick. In the left, you can see the PLC before its full annexation. They had a weak military, only a few ideas and trade as 4th. After the full annex and release as vassal, the PLC now has our MIL tech and three complete idea groups. The best part, Administrative as 4th.

IyGGzXH.jpg

We instantly declared war on Polotsk. No time to lose. But we can't call Ruthenia yet, they have many claims on Polotsk's provinces. Again, we don't want our allies making sieges that they won't give to us.

SW5NTG8.jpg

Now, we can call Ruthenia to arms. You might ask me: the war is over, why would we do that? Well...

KH0xaAM.jpg

That's why. We can now declare war on the Teutonic Order without fighting the 30+ Ruthenian army.

tVr8ObR.jpg

The trick here is to know exactly where the enemy army will retreat to. I expected them to run to the farthest province they had. That's exacly what happened. Stack wipe on the first month.

ODay5iu.jpg

We seized the Silesian provinces first and returned the Polish cores to the PLC.

zfHcLxr.jpg

Burgundy needs our help! We must answer this call to arms!

1oUUF7y.jpg

The results of our wars, our PLC vassal is looking much better already. With this, we reached +25% on trust. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the limit bonus on the Liberty Desire. So, from now on, we are giving back its cores by the old feeding. We need to use less diplo power.

0E9mb5V.jpg

Ruthenia is at war against Silesia, TO and Austria. It's a great chance for us. I'm sorry Ruthenia, but you must give back our vassal's territory! You too Lithuania! And Crimea!

VeTxNN8.jpg

Yeah, Norway seems weak as well. Let's declare war on them too!

6o1lve9.jpg

The war was over before it even began, they had no army, so we'll skip to the results. 102 AE sounds harsh for a reconquest... this might be bad.

S0o28St.jpg

As you can see, it doesn't matter if they have more than 100 base tax. The Opinion, Trust and Dip Rep can cover that! This is the main trick to mass vassal feeding on 1.11.

Ks1sly2.jpg

Burgundy needs our help again. To arms!

7P3drGh.jpg

This looks easy. We'll be fighting our ally Austria, though. Eh... they dishonored our call before. That's what they get for it!

n5xl45t.jpg

Oh... Great Britain joined. Whops... It could be bad.

OD2jzaN.jpg

This isn't looking so good for our allies. But, what is that in the last batle? A win? A British flag? Interesting.

4hUuASI.jpg

Maybe we could sneak an attack in the British Islands. They would never expect an attack from the north, would they?

ZcjZ5Ap.jpg

In the mean time, a full annex on Norway. Back to GBR, I don't think they have anything beside that 27 army in London. Let's move out.

H2A7tjB.jpg

Yeah, they didn't. Hooray, we beat the British!

2ylh7B0.jpg

The British are fighting back. But it's too late, we already have control over their island.

uoGlAfu.jpg

Meanwhile, a coalition is forming up. This looks bad, this looks really bad.

S7jKOdT.jpg

We can't be greedy. We are a junior member in this war. Let's get what we can and get out.

MUD5Cw5.jpg

A new vassal: Scotland! Again, Administrative, Defensive and Offensive. These are great ideas for a vassal.

rgxvE8W.jpg

Here we go, another coalition declared war on us. This time, it's the Spanish that will lead the enemy forces that will try to punish us for our conquests.

With this, we conclude this chapter! Such a cliffhanger, but I'm already close to the image limit, so we must stop here. I already played for a few more years, so I'll write the next chapter pretty soon.

As always, I hope you liked it! If you did, please leave a comment. They mean a lot to me! If you didn't like, please tell me what I can do to make it enjoyable to you. I'm grateful for every post in this thread, thank you so much!

See you soon!

Next chapter preview:
Coalition war! More agressive expansion! More wars! More coalitions! Will it ever stop?

To the next chapter: Link

Last edited:
Reactions: