Inter Mutanda Constantia - A Stellaris Short Story

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

glupor

Sergeant
87 Badges
Jun 26, 2011
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • For the Motherland
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
Last edited:
Chapter One

Grey stood up from her computer, straightened her jacket and walked to the outside of the observatory. It would take a few minutes for the telescope to align with the suns before she could take any readings and she wanted to stretch her legs.

Outside she watched as one of the new commercial flights flew overhead. She'd never been on one since they were reserved for level 3 citizens and above. Scientists didn't rank very highly in Vil'Caren society and thus she was level 2 making her only higher than the level 1 labourers but lower then level 5 government officials, level 4 priests and artisans and level 3 military and law enforcement.

It was in Greys opinion, a stupid system. She would never say it out loud but she thought it ridiculous that those whose intelligence created the airships were forbidden to benefit from their use.

“Daddy, can I have a Ki'ko stick?” Kal asked from the passenger seat. Jan looked at his daughter between keeping his eye on his driving, she had her 'imposible-to-say-no-to' face. This was going to be difficult.

“I'm sorry sweety but we don't have the time.”

“Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease,” Kal begged. Jan paused and Kal saw her opening, “It's just that school was so hard and...” *sobs* “...and there was this mean teacher and the...” *sobs* “...the kids keep teasing me.”

Jan could not stand it anymore, he pulled his vehicle over. “Okay, we'll get some Ki'ko sticks.”

“Yay!” Kal shouted, miraculously no longer crying. He knew he'd be played but he also knew that Kal was indeed having a hard time at school and needed to relax a little.

Stepping out of the vehicle, Jan went around and opened the passenger-side door for Kal. At that moment the sky was suddenly filled with lights like the ones he once saw in the far south. He had barely any time to wonder what was happening when a vehicle crashed into another. Then two more crashed, then more. Jan looked around to see everything on the road crashing into each other. He ducked some flying glass, grabbed Kal and pulled her out of her seat and ran into the building selling Ki-ko sticks. One second later their vehicle was hit by a transport truck and completely destroyed.

Grey was about to go back inside when aurora burst across the sky. She was puzzled to see aurora so far north but she didn't have time to wonder because the airship that she had been watching, listed to it's left.

Grey watched in apparent slow motion as the airship went down. She could make out the propellers not spinning as the should be. She saw the emblems of the company that ran the airship painted on its side. She even thought she saw the panicked faces looking through the windows. Finally she saw the explosion as it collided with the ground at full speed.

Grey ran into the observatory to check her equipment just in time to see the electro-magnetism sensor returning to normal. She was just about to check her computer when her personal comm beeped.

“Hello?” she said answering it.

“Grey, are you ok? There was some sort of EMP all across the world. Everything's in chaos.” It was her old college friend Balera.

“Yeah, I'm fine Bal, most of my equipment was shielded.”

“What caused it do you think? Maybe solar activity?”

“Don't know, don't think so. Hang on a second.” Grey went up her computer and opened the telemetry report. “No, not solar activity. The suns have been quiet for the last ten minutes.”

“Hey Grey, turn on your radio.” Balera said. Grey reached over and turned on the old radio that she hadn't used in years.

“...em...nc...oad...st, repeat, this is an emergency broadcast. Please remain calm, the recent incident of widespread electrical failures is over and no further events are predicted. Hospitals are currently overcrowded and thus we ask that only those with seriously injuries go there to seek aid. Solar activity in our suns has causes this incident, there is no cause for concern, this is not a terrorist incident.”

“Hey Grey,” Balera said, shocking Grey out of her thoughts.

“They're lying Bal. It wasn't solar activity.” Grey almost shouted

“Are you sure? Maybe your equipment was damaged.” Balera suggested.

“No! They're lying.” Grey insisted.

“Then you need to drop it Grey.”

“Bal, how can you say that.”

“No Grey! It's not worth it. Delete your data and pretend nothing happened. It's safer that way. Listen, I have to go, we have a large clean up over here. I just called because I was worried.”

“Ok Bal, talk again soon. Bye.”

“Promise me you'll delete your data?” Bal asked. Grey hesitated a second before responding.

“Ok, I promise.”

“Good, thank you Grey. Bye.” Bal said.

“Bye.” Grey responded.

Grey looked over at the message on the computer screen. 'Save Data to Portable Storage?' on top of 'Yes' or 'No'.

“I have to know.” She said to the empty room and pressed 'Yes'.

Reactions:
Chapter Two

After the steep climb up the hill carrying the exhausted Kal on his back, Jan was relieved to see his destination.

“We're here.” He said, putting Kal down. He went up to the door and pressed the button for the chime. No answer. Jan pressed the chime again and again, there was no answer. He was about to give up when the door opened.

“Mum!” Kal shouted and ran to hug her mother.

“Kal, Jan, what are you doing here?”

“Good to see you too Grey.” Jan quipped, pushing past her into the observatory, “I see the Static Event spared you.”

“Static Event? Oh you mean the EMP. I've been trying to figure out what caused it.”

“What caused it,” Jan repeated. “Everybody knows what caused it. Did you even think about us Grey? No. We almost died today. Do you even care?”

“You... you almost died?” Grey asked, seeing for the first time the scratches on Kals arm.

“Yes, many others were not so fortunate.” Jan said calming down a little. “Come on, lets go see if your parents are safe. I can't get a comm signal, I'm worried.”

“I can't go just yet, I have to investigate the EMP. The Govern_”

“Grey!” Jan shouted, “It can wait!”

“No it can't. You take Kal to my parents, I'll come by later.”

“Unbelievable! Unbelievable. Grey, this is why we broke up, family takes a back seat when there's a mystery to solve!”

“We broke up because you wouldn't support my career choice.”

“You could have been anything, anything, but you had to stare at the sky and daydream for a living.”

“That's hardly a valid description of my job, Jan.”

“Did you know that Kal's being teased at school because of you. Yeah, she's picked on because her mother is the crazy lady at the observatory.”

“Daddy, please.” Kal implored, “Don't fight.”

The two parents looked at Kal. Jan sighed, “It's ok dear, I'm sorry for losing my temper. I just... I just need some air.” With that Jan went outside.

“It's ok mum,” Kal said to Grey, “It's not your fault the kids at schools are idiots.”

“Oh, my Kal.” Grey said hugging her tight.

Jan looked out over the landscape, it was beautiful here. Why couldn't Grey be less stubborn? Why insist on a career as a Dreamer? She could have designed beautiful buildings or worked for the Law Ministry to name just a few of her options. Either option would have awarded her great prestige and status.

He still remembered the day she told him she was going to work in Astrophysics, it was like a punch to the gut. Wasted potential. He had almost vetoed her choice as was his right as the husband. But he had promised never to use that power as they both thought it was a horribly outdated statute.

Her enthusiasm for her work was infectious and he slowly began to accept that this was who she was. But then came the late nights, the missed calls and finally the last straw, when she missed Kals recital. He demanded that she resign and take a new job that he'd arranged at the software company his brother owned. She refused. Called him selfish. And as they say, that was that.

They divorced the next day. Kal took it hard and at school was bullied even more than before for having a broken home. Eventually he and Grey might have reconciled, he still loved her fiercely. But as long as she continues to places her work over her family there can be no happy endings.

Have had enough of selfpity, Jan went to go back inside but stopped as he heard noises coming from the road.

Turning, he saw two military vehicles driving up hill to the observatory. He waited for them to get out of their vehicles and was about to asked them if he could be of help when the closest soldier raised his weapon and fired.

“What was that?” Kal asked her mum.

“I don't know.” Said Grey.

Grey went over to the window and carefully peered out. Jan lay in a pool of blood while two soldiers stood over him talking into a radio. Grey ran back to Kal and grabbed her arm, pulling her to a small kitchen where she opened up a mostly empty pantry and hauled her into it before climbing in herself.

“Mum, what's going on?” Kal said visibly scared.

“Shhh,” Grey whispered, “be very quiet.”

Then they could hear voices, faint at first but getting stronger.

“Orders, sir?” Said one.

“Destroy the terrorists computers and burn down the building.” Came the answer.

“Yes, sir. What about the prisoner?”

“He's to be taken to General Bax for questioning. If he survives that is. Now get to work.”

“Yes, sir!”

Grey gave a small fleeting thought for her data but quickly focused on comforting her crying daughter. The girl was smart and couldn't have failed to realise the implication of the conversation they heard.

They waited in the pantry for what seemed like hours but was in fact no longer then minutes. First there was the loud banging and crashing as the soldiers broke the computers apart. Then there was the tell tale smell of fire accelerant and Grey knew they would have to move soon. Finally the sound she had been waiting for; the military vehicles leaving.

“Come on, Kal. We've got to move fast.”

They ran to the door to the kitchen and Kal went to open it but Grey snatched her hand away from the handle. She took off the outer garment of her chest-piece and wrapped it around the door handle. Carefully she opened the door keeping the door between them and the other side. A great burst of fire roared into the kitchen for a few seconds before retreating.

Next they ran for the outside door. Grey had a choke in her throat to see her life's work up in flames but as they approached the outer door she saw something on the floor near some fire. It was her PSD – Portable Storage Device – holding her most recent data. Those idiots must have not known what it was.

“Wait, Kal.” Grey called.

“What, why?” Kal asked urgently.

“I just need to get something.”

“No. Please. Let's just go.”

But Grey was already jumping over the damage and fire trying to reach it. As she neared it a fiery beam fell just infront of her.

“Mum! Please!” Kal shouted.

Grey couldn't get passed the beam so she reached her hand over as far as she could. Almost reaching, the building started to groan. Ceiling tiles fell, building supports collapsed and fire spread. Suddenly some falling debris knocked the PSD close enough for Grey to reach. She picked it up a ran for Kal.

The building was well and truly about to collapse now. Grey was almost up to Kal when she saw a beam fall and hit her in the back, knocking her unconscious. Grey without thinking lifted the beam off her and carried her outside to safety. A moment later the observatory was gone.

Reactions:
Great job really enjoyed your story, nice idea and the dialogue was well crafted. I can picture it being a pre-ftl species located in the newly explored borders of some expansionist empire.

A worthwile read, though the narrative is a bit quick for my taste. That makes it a bit unreal. The characters don't seem shocked by what happened. Neither does the government, which moves in *immediately* to supress dissenters.

Great job really enjoyed your story, nice idea and the dialogue was well crafted. I can picture it being a pre-ftl species located in the newly explored borders of some expansionist empire.
Glad you liked it so far.
A worthwile read, though the narrative is a bit quick for my taste. That makes it a bit unreal. The characters don't seem shocked by what happened. Neither does the government, which moves in *immediately* to supress dissenters.
The govenment has acted quickly although I should have specified that Jan and Kal walked a long way to get to Grey so there are perhaps 2 or 3 hours between chapter 1 and 2.

Chapter Three

“How's the prisoner?” The imposing man asked the doctor who was finishing his examination the man lying unconscious on the table.

“He's lost a lot of blood sir and his bandages will need to be replaced but he'll live.” The doctor replied.

“Can he talk?”

“Yes.”

“Good, leave us.”

“Yes, general.” The doctor inclined he head in respect and left General Bax and his assistant to interrogate the prisoner.

Bax grabbed the unconscious man’s head, “Wake up!” He shouted. No response. Bax slapped him a few times to wake him but the man was too unconscious.

“Lim, hand me the vinegar.” The general ordered.

“Right away sir.” Lim responded.

Bax was handed a small vial of vinegar and held it under the mans nose. The fumes worked their magic and awoke the man.

“Wha... What's going on?” The man asked.

“You are under arrest for treason by order of the military.” Bax replied.

“Treason? What? Where am I?”

“You will answer my questions. State your name.”

“Um, Jan Free'dac. But I don't_”

“Be silent unless answering a question Dr Free'dac!”

“But I'm not_” Jan started when the man, who was still holding his head, roughly slammed it onto the hard surface of the table.

“What did I just say? Now, tell me, have you spoken to anyone else since you spoke with a... what was the name Lim?”

“Balera Mo.” Lim supplied.

“Yes, thank you. Have you spoken to anyone else since speaking to Ms Balera Mo?”

Jan's head was spinning from the impact and blood loss but also from the questioning. These people thought he was Grey and were worried that he knew something dangerous. What had Grey gotten herself mixed up in now?

“Ok, that's how you want to play this, bring her in!” Bax ordered. Lim quickly ran out of the room. A few seconds later he returned with a semi-conscious Balera in tow, who was heavily beaten and bound. Jan was now certain he should not lead these men to Grey and Kal.

“You contacted Ms Balera here and supplied her with classified information about the Static Event. True of false?” Bax asked.

“Umm, false.” Bax slammed Jan's head into the table again.

“We already know it's true Dr Free'dac! Stop lying! Now, let's try again, you are engaged in unpatriotic activities with Ms Balera. True or false?”

“You people are paranoid!” Jan said with his remaining strength. “There is no conspiracy here.”

Bax stood back from Jan. Suddenly he pulled his pistol out and shot Balera through the head.

“I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!” Bax screamed. “Who else have you spoken to?!”

“No one.”

Bax ripped off Jan's bandages and poured the vinegar he still held directly into the wound. Jan was delirious with pain, screaming for them to stop.

“Tell me what I want to know Dr Free'dac!” Bax demanded.

“I'm... not.... Dr... Free... 'dac...” Jan struggled. Bax paused, then poured water into the wound to wash out the vinegar.

“Lim! Get me a report on Dr Free'dac.” Bax ordered.

Lim fumbled about on his tablet computer before he started reading. “Name; Grey Free'dac. Status; divorced. Gender; Female. Profession; Astro_”

“Enough.” Bax interrupted. “I know this guy's a bit wiry but a would have thought you could tell the difference between him and a girl.”

“I'm sorry sir.” Lim squeaked. Although it was equally General Bax's fault, Lim had found that the best way to survive was to accept all blame and hope that soon someone else would manage to screw up and draw the attention of the general away from him.

Lim looked at Jan, “What about him?”

General Bax considered for a moment, “He may not be Dr Free'dac but he was at the observatory. Kill him.”

After carrying the injured Kal for a few hours, Grey found a house with a build-up of weeds in the garden and dust around the door and window frames. Deciding it was empty she broke in, found a bed for Kal and went about treating her wound. They weren't as bad as she had feared, Kal would be awake come the morning.

Once she was satisfied with the treatment she began to explore the house for anything that could help her. She was a little reluctant to steal from the owner but she was on the run from the government and sure that if the owner knew the whole story, they would give her what she needed.

She took some cloths to replace those lost in the fire, some money, food, cooking supplies and water.

She considered taking the computer too but they were expensive. She did however, take the opportunity to peruse the data she rescued from the fire.

Solar activity was normal leading up to the Static Event just as she noted that morning. After her escape from the observatory and seeing all the damage that had been caused, she half expected to see that she had made a mistake. But no, the data was irrefutable; whatever caused the Static Event, it could not have been the suns.

She was about to shut down the computer when she noticed something odd in the EM radiation recorded during the Static Event. It had a pattern. Not the general pattern of energy waves but a repeating pattern that held no randomness in it. It was almost... artificial.

Chapter Four

Grey awoke to feel a pain in her shoulder, she tried to stretch out but found she couldn't move her arms. They had been securely tied behind her back, her legs were bound too.

“Wha...” She said, still groggy from sleep.

“Ah. You're awake.” Came a voice from behind the sofa where she lay. She tried to turn around but couldn't move enough to see who it was.

“Who are you?” Grey asked.

A middle-aged man walked around the sofa and came into her view. “I could ask you the same thing.”

“My name's Grey. Do you live here?”

“And the child in my bedroom?” The man asked.

“She's my daughter, she was hurt and I needed to tend to her. I didn't mean any harm. I thought this place was empty.”

“Why did you not take her to a hospital? If her injuries were severe enough to break into my house then they were severe enough to go to hospital.”

“I couldn't.”

“Why?”

“I can't say, it's dangerous.”

“Well, it doesn't really matter anyway,” The man said. “The police will be here shortly to sort the matter out.”

“No! Please, let us go.” Grey begged.

“Look, if you're running away from a bad situation at home then let the police help. They're not the bad guys the media makes them out to be.”

This man was not going to let her go, Grey thought. He thought that her situation could be solved by police. She had to make him see that was a bad idea.

“I'm not a domestic violence case,” Grey said. “I'm running from the military, they shot my husband and burned my workplace down.”

The man was silent for a second. “Uh huh,” He said sceptically.

“Listen, what's your name?”

“Droyen.”

“Listen Droyen, I found out that the government is lying about the cause of the Static Event. For that they tried to kill me and my family, please, just let me go.” Grey said imploringly.

Droyen sighed, her story didn't make sense. The military doesn't go around shooting people for no reason.

“We'll wait for the police.” He decided. “They can sort this out.”

“Gods damn it, listen to me!” Grey started. But at that moment there was the sound of an engine coming from outside. Droyen went to the window to check it out.

“The police are her.” He said.

“Don't go out there, please.” Grey begged.

Ignoring Greys warning, Droyen went outside to greet the police officer, who was getting out of his vehicle.

“Hi,” He said to the officer. “They're inside.”

The officer opened his mouth but at that moment, a hidden sniper fired. The officer was dead before he had a chance to speak. The sniper fired again but Droyen had taken cover behind the police vehicle the instant the first shot was fired.

The sniper took shots at Droyen's position, trying to force him out of cover. Droyen counted the shots. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Now! He ran back into his house while the sniper reloaded.

He ran past Grey into his bedroom.

“What's going on?” Grey asked.

Droyen came back out with a rifle of his own and a combat knife. He cut Greys bonds with the knife, “The police officer is dead, shot by a Fir'lock Sniper Rifle. They're only issued by the military. It seems your story just got a whole lot more credible.”

“What are you doing?” Grey asked as Droyen went to the door.

“It's not safe here, we should leave.” Droyen answered.

“It's less safe out there!”

“I used to be in the military, if I can shoot this guy, we can leave.” Grey was about to protest more when Droyen took a small table from elsewhere in the house and placed it, on it's side, against the front door. Then he kicked open the door and fired a few shots out in the direction of the sniper. He ducked behind the table as the sniper fired back.

“You'll never hit him, he's got too much of an advantage.” Said Grey.

“That's not helping.” Droyen said dryly before taking another couple of shots.

Suddenly Grey ran to the kitchen and pulled out the domestic oven unit and smashed it on the ground.

“What are you doing?” Droyen said incredulously.

“Helping.” Grey said. She was looking through the broken appliance for something in particular. Appearing to find it, she then found a radio and tore off the antenna and speaker. “You said the sniper had to be military?” Grey said.

“Yeah...” Droyen replied.

“It stands to reason that he's in communication with his superiors,” Grey said as she attached the oven part to the antenna. “and it's fairly quiet around these parts, not much in the way of radio communications. So, if I can localise his radio signal with this, then you will have a better chance at getting him.”

Droyen was impressed. “You can do that?” He asked.

“Let's see.” Grey said as she finished working on her contraption. She carefully went up to the door and, hiding behind the upturned table, pointed the device at the approximate position of the sniper. At first, there was just white noise from it, but then came a quiet high pitched whistle when she pointed it in a specific direction.

“Here, let me.” Droyen whispered. Grey handed it to him. She was amazed at how finely Droyen could adjust the direction.

“There.” He said, as the device started screaming at him. He slowly lined up his rifle, took a breath, and fired. “Got him.”

“Are you sure?” Grey whispered.

“Yep,” He said standing up in the doorway. “Definitely. Get your kid, we're leaving.”

Grey cautiously stood up and went to the bedroom. “Kal, wake up.” She said.

“Mum?” Kal said. “Where are we?”

“It doesn't matter dear, we have to go.” Grey said, helping Kal into her cloths that Grey had cleaned the night before. When Kal was dressed they went into they main room.

“Kal, this is Droyen. He is helping us.” Grey said as Kal saw Droyen.

“Hello, little lady.” Droyen said to Kal.

“Hello.”

“I'd love to hang around and exchange pleasantries but I'm afraid we've no time.” Droyen said.

“You're right,” said Grey, “let's go!”

The three quickly left the house, Grey making sure that Kal couldn't see the dead police officer. Droyen led the way to a large vehicle that he said was his. They boarded and were about to leave when the vehicle was surrounded by soldiers pointing their guns at them.

“Surrender!” One of the soldiers demanded.

Chapter Five

They had been taken to separate cells. Droyen had not seen Grey since just after their capture, two days ago, and he feared for her. Strange. That he should care so much about someone he just met, someone who had broken into his house and had involved him in a government conspiracy. But then it wasn't her fault, none of it was.

He heard footsteps approach his cell, General Bax was coming to 'ask' some more questions. The man was clearly insane, that he could attain such a rank as he had was something Droyen often perplexed over to pass the time.

The door opened and sure enough, Bax walked in with his personal minion; Lim. Lim was a slippery one, Droyen could not figure out if he was incredibly smart or incredibly dumb. Droyen thought that the latter was more likely but one can never know with henchmen.

“Colonel, have a pleasant night?” Bax asked.

Droyen remained silent.

“Still silent I see.” Said Bax. He removed a lash from a bag that Lim was holding and approched Droyen.

“Who else is involved in your conspiracy?”

Silence. Lash.

“What is your past association with Grey Free'dac?”

Silence. Lash. Lash.

“Tell me what I want to know!”

Silence. Lash. Lash. Lash.

“This is going nowhere” Bax went to leave.

“Uh, sir.” Lim said.

“Oh right. I forgot. First, Lim, get me the powder.”

Lim shuffled through the bag and pulled out a glass jar with fine orange powder inside. Lim passed it to Bax who opened up the lid. Droyen recognised the smell immediately, it was a common food additive to make things less bland.

Bax poured some into his palms and held his hand out, palm up, to Droyen.

“Tell me Colonel, what did Ms Free'dac discover on your computer the night before we captured you.”

The question was a lot more pointed then usual. Droyen honestly didn't know what Grey discovered, but considering his current situation, wouldn't have told Bax even if he did. Droyen had no doubt that once the questions were over, he, Grey and probably even Kal, would be killed.

He remained silent.

Bax smeared the powder onto the fresh lash wounds. The pain was exquisite, Droyen struggled to remain composed.

“Marinate in that for a while.” Bax said, laughing at his own joke. “When your ready to tell us what Ms Free'dac discovered, we'll remove it.” With that the two left him to his pain.

Grey's whole body hurt, she had endured General Bax's attention the day before. He had ranted and raved about plots and conspiracies, asking vague questions and disbelieving the answers she gave. At one point she had said she knew the government lied about the cause of the Static Event. That had been a mistake, Bax had decided then that she must have told other people and wanted their names. Bax would not accept that there were no names and that led to more pain for Grey.

The cell door opened and Lim wheeled in a strange chair, then Bax entered with two soldiers. The soldiers roughly grabbed her and dragged her to the chair where Lim proceeded to rip the remains of her cloths off and bind her to the chair.. Soon she was completely immobilised and exposed. When she was secured, Lim and the two soldiers left her alone with Bax and shut the door.

“Well Ms Free'dac,” Bax said, “ready for more questions?”

“I don't know anything, I told you that.” Grey pleaded.

“We'll see.” Said Bax as he rotated a lever on the side of the chair.

Grey shook with fear as the back of the chair rotated down so she was lying flat on her back with her legs bent downwards at the knees. She could see the lewd desire on Bax's face and knew what must surely be coming next.

Bax's hand lightly touched the tip of her stomach just beneath her chest. He leaned down next to Grey and placed his mouth just over her ear. “Tell me what I want to know and this can end.” he whispered.

Grey was frozen in shock, he couldn't do this, surely he wouldn't do this. She looked into his eyes and in that moment knew that yes, he would do this.

“Please, I've told you everything I know.” Grey begged.

Bax took off his own cloths and climbed onto the chair, holding himself above Grey, looking down into her eyes. “We recently found out you discovered something about the Static Event. What was it?”

“Nothing, I...” Grey suddenly remembered something that she had forgotten in the panic at Droyens house, “It was artificial, there was a pattern!”

Bax stopped, and calmly, he climbed off Grey and put his cloths back on. “Thank you,” Bax said as he returned the chair to it's upright position. “Lim!” He shouted.

Lim opened the door, “Yes sir?”

“Get the Colonel and the child and bring them here.” Bax ordered.

Droyen heard footsteps approaching. He knew that there was no way they were getting released after the interrogation and that they would have to escape.

Lim opened the cell door, and walked in. Droyen had made a show of always sitting in the far left corner of the cell, this time he waited on the right of the cell near the door. Droyen timed his attack to coincide with the first few seconds after Lim entered the cell, when his eye's were still adjusting to the dark.

He struck Lim to the chest, knocking the air out of him. Lim doubled over in the cell, Droyen grabbed the key that Lim was holding and the gun too. He exited his cell and caught the guard unprepared. He relieved the solider of his knife and stabbed him before the soldier knew what was happening. He then took the soldier's uniform and put it on, careful to avoid showing the part eith the soldier's blood.

Droyen had deduced from his 'conversations' with Bax that Bax would interrogate Grey after he was done with him, not before. So Droyen went in the direction that he heard Bax leave last time. He turned a corner to see guards escorting Kal into a room.

Casually, he strode past the guards hoping that they wouldn't look too closely at just another soldier. Droyen knew he wouldn't have much time after entering the room so as he entered, he assessed the situation. Grey was wrapped in a blanket cuddling Kal, there was one other soldier in their room with Bax. If he was going to rescue them, he would have to take out Bax, the soldier with him, and the two guards outside the door.

“You, soldier, what are you doing here?” Bax said to him. Droyen sprung into action. He slung the pilfered knife at the solder, getting him in the neck. The soldier gurgled blood a bit but was otherwise silent. Next, Droyen pulled his gun on Bax.

“One word,” Droyen said to Bax, “and I'll end you.” Bax obviously believed Droyen because he was silent.

“Now, Grey, are you prepared to use a weapon?” he asked. Grey nodded. “Then take his weapon. Carefully. Keep it pointed at the general, no matter what, keep it pointed at him. If he tries anything, use it.”

Grey took the gun from Bax's holster. She had never held a gun before, it was lighter then she expected. It seemed to her that something so dangerous should be heavier.

At that moment an alarm started up. “They know I've escaped.” Droyen said.

The cell door opened, one of the guards came in. Droyen aimed his gun at the mans chest. The guard went for his gun. “Don't,” Droyen warned. “Let us go and no harm will come to the General.”

Grey, watching the exchange had dropped her guard. Bax acted, he pulled the knife out of the dead soldiers neck and reach for Kal. He wrestes her away from Grey and held the knife to her throat.

“Nice try colonel,” Bax said, “very nice. Surrender or the girl dies”

“No!” Grey shouted dropping her gun.

“You too colonel.” Bax said smugly. Droyen had no choice, he lowed his gun. One of the guards stepped forward and grabbed it from him. Bax released Kal – who ran crying to her mother – and picked up his gun from the floor.

“It's time to end this.” Bax said. He raised the gun and aimed at Droyen. “Any last words?”

All Droyen could do was sigh, he had failed and now they were going to die. He remained silent.

“Very well.” Bax said.

“Stop!” came a voice from the doorway. Everyone looked, a slender woman wearing the traditional robes of state walked in. “The prisoners are to be transferred into my custody.” She said.

“Minister!” Bax exclaimed, “These people are traitors!”

“That is unlikely. What is more likely is that you have exceeded your mandate.” She said to Bax, before turning to one of the guards, “You, have these people cleaned up.”

“Yes, Ma’am!” He said as he went to escort Droyen, Grey and Kal away.

Before they left, the minister introduced herself to the trio, “I'm Minister Neril Em, but you can call me Neril. You're safe now.”

Chapter Six

The room was luxurious but Grey was getting a bit stir-crazy. Minister Em had been very kind to them and allowed them all time to recuperate after the ordeal at the military base but Grey was ready to leave.

The doors opened and the Minister walked in with Kal and Droyen.

“How are you today, Dr?” Minister Em asked.

“Well, minister. Ready to go home.” Grey answered.

“Please Dr, call me Neril, I insist.” Minister Neril said.

“Ok... Neril. And you can call me Grey if you like.”

“Thank you Grey, that is most kind.” Neril said. “About going home, if you're willing I'd like to invite you to stay at my facility for a while. I have need of people with your skills.

“I don't know,” Grey said, “I think I should take Kal home.”

“Don't decide now, join me for a tour of the facility. Kal and Colonel Droyen are free to join us.” Neril said.

“Sure, ok.”

“Great! If you'll follow me.”

Neril led Grey, Droyen and Kal through her facility. It was impressive, she had all the best scientific equipment and a plethora of skilled scientists working for her. Grey was a little overwhelmed, how could she possibly contribute to this group.

“What exactly do you do here, Minister?” Droyen asked.

“Officially, I am charged with overseeing the development of new technology that will improve the quality of life for Vil'Caren citizens. Unofficially, I pretty much get to choose what we research. We developed the latest commercial aircraft here and before that we developed a new more powerful computer.” Neril said.

“What are you making now?” Kal asked

“Well, at this moment we are not making anything. We are investigating the Static Event.”

“Was that your doing?” Droyen asked suspiciously.

“Droyen!” Grey exclaimed, shocked at his rudeness.

“It's ok,” Neril said, “We're used to people being suspicious of our work. It's a natural part of discovery. And to answer your question Droyen, No. We did not cause the Static Event.”

“Satisfied?” Grey asked. “But Neril, what was the cause of the Static Event?” She asked before Droyen could embarrass her any more.

Neril smiled, “Follow me.” She said. She led them past the main experiments and past several locked doors before entering an empty room that had windows all along one of the walls. On the other side of the windows, was another room. There, three strange creatures interacted with a scientist from Neril's staff.

They were bipedal, like Vil'Caren. But were bi-focal like some of the wild animals around the northern continent, not mono-focal. They stood upright at about one and a half times the height of a Vil'Caren. Two of them had a pinkish skin tone while the other, a deep brown. One of the pinks seemed to have mammaries just like Vil'Caren women. Grey decided that, that one was a female and the other two were male. They were adorned in clothing of similar nature, perhaps uniforms.

“What are they?” Kal asked in wonder.

“Grey?” Neril said, smugly, “any thoughts?”

“Aliens.” Grey whispered. Her head was swimming with questions, “Where? How?”

“They appear to call themselves 'Hoom'.”

“You've spoken to them?”

“We managed to establish a rudimentary communication with them, yes. The two pinks defer to the brown one but they seemed to get offended when we thought that they must be a sub-species.”

“What are their names?” Kal asked.

“The brown one is called Smit.”

“That's a funny name.” Kal said.

“Yes. The other male is called Oones and the female is Ri'n. Although they sometimes refer to each other with different names that we thought must be ranks. It also seems they have first names, just like us.”

“Are you telling me that they caused the Static Event?” Droyen asked.

“Just before the Static Event out computer detected an incoming object from space travelling at fifty thousand times the speed of light.”

“But that's impossible.” Grey said.

“Apparently not. Anyway it crashed in the Fin desert but just before impact, for eight microseconds it radiated immense electro-magnetic energy.”

“That was the Static Event?” Grey asked.

“Yes, it seems to be a safely measure. A way to discharge the enormous kinetic energy of FTL travel before hitting the planet.”

“I wouldn't call that a safety measure.” Droyen said. “Lot's of people died in the Static Event.”

“Compared to the planet being torn in half by the impact, the Static Event was mild.” Neril said.

“We combed the Fin desert and found those three wondering away from a new crater, there was nothing remaining of the craft. How they escaped the impact is beyond our understanding. All they had on them aside from their cloths were a few devices we cant seem to activate.”

“Why not?” Grey asked.

“There is some kind of lock on them. We've tried to unlock it but we can't even understand their computer systems. There is a frequency, a pattern if you will, to their technology. Without that I'm afraid we will never unlock the devices.”

“Wait!” Grey shook with excitement. “I know the pattern! I found it in the radiation of the Static Event.”

“Grey, be careful.” Droyen warned. “What do we know about these people.”

“She met me a few days after she met you, colonel. Don't presume to tell her what to do.” Neril said acerbically.

Neril turned to Grey, “What do you say Grey? Will you help me uncover the mysteries of the universe?”

“I trust her.” Grey said to Droyen. “Yes! I'll work for you.” She said to Neril.

Bax paced back and forth in his office. “We should have killed those freaks the moment we found them in the desert.”

“Yes sir.” Lim replied.

“We should have shot them on the spot and destroyed all evidence of their existence.”

“Yes sir.”

“We certainly never should have allowed that Dreamer, who somehow controls a whole ministry, to have them or those traitors.”

“Yes sir.”

“How did she get so much power anyway?” Bax wondered.

“She probably gained power in exchange for... favours.” Lim offered.

“Yes, that would be right. She attains her power from on her back and I have to work extra just to keep up!” Bax declared. “It's not fair.”

“Too bad someone doesn't do something about her.” Lim said.

Bax looked at Lim, “Like what?” he asked.

“If only there was someone with the power, authority and most of all strength to remove her from office. But who could risk incurring the wrath of the Parliament? No, Minister Neril has them wrapped around her fingers.”

“I will!” Bax declared righteously. “I will rid the Parliament of that Dreamer filth and they will thank me for it!”

Lim felt a little bad for manipulating Bax, he liked the man. But if Bax did seize the ministry for himself, then the Parliament would likely go along with it to avoid scandal. Lim would then be a personal assistant to a minister. It wouldn't be long before he was in a position to launch his own political career. If Parliament was more competent then normal and arrested Bax, well, Lim was only following orders...

Chapter Seven

Kal sat on the floor of Grey's office. There wasn't anything to do here and she was bored.

“Mum,” She said to Grey, who was investigating one of the Hoom devices, “when are we going home? Daddy might have gone there.”

“We're safe here with Neril, sweety. She has people out searching for your father, if he went home we would have heard.” Grey said without taking her eyes off the device.

“Droyen says we shouldn't trust Neril.” Kal pointed out.

“Droyen just doesn't know her like I do. Neril is a good person.”

Grey returned to her work so Kal decided to go see Droyen. It would not be hard to find him, he had taken to sitting in cafeteria.

Droyen sat in his usual spot in the cafeteria, moping. He couldn't say why, just that he had an uneasy feeling about Neril. She seemed nice enough, but something wasn't sitting right with him. The timing of their rescue for one seemed oddly convenient.

“Hello, Colonel.” Neril said, startling him out of his thoughts.

“Minister.” He said politely.

“Why don't you call me Neril? I've said it was okay.”

“It's not appropriate. It conveys familiarity where none exists. It feels dishonest.” Droyen said. Neril sighed.

“You don't like me very much, do you?”

“I don't dislike you.”

“Now who's being dishonest? You know what I think?” She whispered conspiratorially, “I think you're jealous of all the time Grey and I spend together.”

“Grey and I are just friends.”

“I've seen the way you look at her, you'd like be more then friends. Wouldn't you?”

“What I want doesn't matter.” Droyen said

“Of course it doesn't. Grey's knowledge could help us understand the universe. You couldn't stand in the way of that even if the feelings were reciprocated.”

“So why bring it up at all?” Droyen asked snidly.

“My point, dear Colonel, is can you really trust your feelings, when you practically admit that you're jealous?”

Droyen looked up at Neril, was his feelings for Grey clouding how how he viewed her? He wasn't sure. He didn't think so, but then, he hadn't felt this way about anyone for a long time.

“Think about it.” Neril suggested before leaving him to his thoughts.

He hadn't had much in the way of thinking time when Kal came into the cafeteria and ran up to him.

“Droyen!” She said, happily.

“Hello Kal.”

“What are you doing? Can I do it too?”

“I'm not doing anything, just sitting around. There isn't much to do here if you don't know science.”

“Tell me about it.” Kal said, sighing in an exaggerated way. Droyen smiled. “Mum says that I have to stay with her until she's done but every time she finishes something, Neril comes along and gives her more. It's not fair.”

“I'm sorry, Kal. I wish there was something I could do.”

“Maybe you could talk to mum? She likes you.”

Droyen looked at Kal, he wondered if she knew about his feeling for Grey too and was encouraging him. Don't be a fool, he told himself, Kal's too young for such romantic intrigue, she was only saying that Grey thought of him as a friend.

“Your mum is a little obsessed at the moment Kal. Just give her some time. I'm sure she'll be back to her old self in days.” He said with more optimism then he felt.

“Okay.” Kal sighed but then perked up, “Maybe you could ask Neril to give Mum less work?”

Droyen thought about it, “I'll try.” He said.

Grey was fiddling with the Hoom device, she was sure she had it this time. The energy pattern matched exactly the one she noticed in the Static Event. Theoretically, the device should be unlocked. She pressed a few more buttons on the thing. Nothing. She felt like throwing it across the room.

“Any luck?” Neril said from the door.

Grey turned around. “I thought I had it.” She said, shaking her head.

“These things take time. I'm sure you'll get it.”

“Thanks for the confidence.” Grey said yawning.

“You look exhausted Grey. Why don't you get some sleep?” Neril suggested.

“Thanks. I need a recharge.” Grey said.

Both Grey and Neril stopped suddenly, they looked at each other.

“It couldn't be that simple, could it?” Grey said

“I don't see why not. We just need to determine what type of energy they use and feed it to the device.”

“Wait, we might not even need that.” Grey hurried back to the pile of devices. Neril followed.

“Look every device has this hole in the side of it.” Grey pointed out, “Except this one, which has a protrusion the same size and shape as the holes.” She indicated to a different device.

“We noticed,” Neril said, “we tried plugging it into each of the devices but nothing happened.”

“That was before I mimicked the energy pattern!” Grey took the device she had been experimenting on and the device with the protrusion. Carefully, she put them together. The device beeped.

“You did it!” Neril said.

Suddenly, light burst from the device and filled the room. Thousands, no millions of tiny balls of white light hovered in mid air. They seemed to be slowly spiralling around the centre of the room.

“It's the galaxy.” Neril said in awe.

“It's a map.” Grey corrected.

“One of the dots, um, stars is red.” Neril said.

“Where?” Grey asked

Neril pointed it out, as she did the star grew in size, they noticed it was actually two stars. They kept growing until they were in the centre of the room and all the other stars had disappeared. Next several large spheres appeared and orbited the stars.

“I think you zoomed in.” Grey said. Neril nodded. “This is the solar system. Look there's Tep the Giant and it's moons.”

“And there's Vil'Car.” Said Neril pointing. Again, as she pointed the planet grew to a larger size.

“You can see the continents and the cities.” Grey said. “Do you know what this means? Hooms must have visited us before and made a map.”

“Or at least sent a probe.” Neril said.

“I need to study this! I could learn more about astrophysics in a day with this map then I have in my whole career!”

“Tomorrow.” Neril said firmly.

“But,” Grey started but was interrupted by a large yawn. “Okay. Tomorrow.”

Droyen knocked on the door to Minister Nerils office. Their was no response from inside, she must be out. He went to leave but stopped, maybe this was an opportunity to find out a little more about the woman. He tried the handle, the door opened, she must be confident in her people. Entering her office Droyen looked around. It was quite minimalist, just a desk with a computer, a small window, a chair, a couch for visitors and a painting of a water-craft hanging on the wall.

He went to the computer, it was password locked. Unable to guess the password he decided that it was just as well, this was wrong and he should stop. He went to leave the office but there were people taking in the hallway, he couldn't leave without being noticed.

Droyen waited for the people to go, while he did he noticed something on the painting. The name of the water-craft was clearly written on the side of it; 'Meridian'. Droyen went to the computer again and typed Meridian into the password box. It worked. Droyen now had access to Minister Nerils computer.

He looked around her recent activities. They were mostly reports on the progress of her investigation into the aliens and the Static Event, pictures of small fluffy domestic animals and her activities at Parliament.

It all seemed quite innocuous and Droyen was just starting to think he was wrong about her when he noticed something odd from several days ago. A file called 'Bax Communique', He opened it and read.

'...Field Report. General Rass'in Bax reporting; The building was destroyed along with all data as ordered. We have taken the occupant prisoner...

...This is Ops, Minister Em speaking; Your orders were to collect the data and eliminate the occupant not the other way around...

...Ops, should we eliminate the occupant now...

…Negative General, interrogate first then eliminate...'

Droyen read on;

'...Field Report. General Rass'in Bax reporting; During interrogation, it was discovered that the prisoner was not who we thought but rather her husband. He, one Jan Free'dac, was subsequently eliminated. Operations are now underway to find the real Dr Free'dac...

...This is Ops, Minister Em speaking; new orders, do not eliminate her when found. Interrogate...'

Droyen reeled. Grey's husband was dead and Minister Neril knew about it, even ordered it. He was right all along about her. He kept reading;

'...Field Report. General Rass'in Bax reporting; The captured Dr Free'dac appears to know nothing of interest, request permission to eliminate the prisoners...

...This is Ops, Minister Em speaking; Request denied. Intel from Colonel Droyens computer suggests that Dr Free'dac has made a discovery about the Static Event. All efforts to retrieve the data directly have failed, extract it from Dr Free'dac, then transfer the prisoners to my custody...

...but these people are traitors Minister, after interrogation they should be executed...

...Negative, proceed with you orders General...'

“What are you doing?” Minister Neril said, standing in the doorway.

“You knew Bax killed Grey's husband? You're the one who set Bax on Grey, then you faked the rescue to endear yourself to us.” Droyen said.

“Well, this is awkward.” Neril said. “To be fair, Bax did really want to kill you. If I hadn't stopped the oaf you would be dead.”

“Do you expect a thankyou?” he asked incredulously. “You're the one that gave the order to kill Jan Free'dac! And if Grey wasn't valuable to you, you'd have given her execution order too. How do you think she'll respond when I tell her all this?”

“I'm afraid I can't allow you to do that. We are on the cusp of a great new age of learning and I need Grey here.” Neril said producing an unextended baton from her belt.

Droyen laughed, “Do you think you can stop me? With that?”

“We'll see, wont we?” Neril went to hit Droyen with her baton. He easily deflected it but didn't anticipate the large electric current when he touched it. Droyen's legs gave way, he fell. Neril stood over him and pushed the baton into his back, he blacked out.

Reactions:
Nice, I must agree with the fanfic sub forum, however those who know might would find that I would like infinite sub forums so maybe I am not the best judge. :p