• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yep, it's resolved.

Also, way to make me feel like an idiot; I gave up on Darkest Hour as Germany because I could barely beat Poland :p
Poland? That hurts! :)

The real challenge and one of the two purposes (the other one being the tutorial aspect) of this AAR starts... right now!
ate0bbung9jjgrjs3zvk.gif

I am writing this AAR because this version of the mod was considered as unwinnable if the Soviet Union is not defeated during the first months of Barbarossa, everybody who has been reading it since its beginning knows that. We will see.

To be fair, we are rapidly approaching the three year anniversary of when this AAR started. I barely even remember the beginning.

To be fair, we are rapidly approaching the three year anniversary of when this AAR started. I barely even remember the beginning.
My apologies :D I forgot this "detail" (And no double meaning here, I am sincere)

Those Soviets!!!!!!

With the Persian front open you will have to keep the U-boats down south to prevent reinforcements.

With the Persian front open you will have to keep the U-boats down south to prevent reinforcements.
No, the settings are totally different from what happened IRL.
With the control of the islands in the Atlantic, and the control of the western African coast from Morocco down to the gulf of Guinea, the Axis has total air superiority along thousands of miles of sea lanes, and now that the Kriegsmarine is heading south it will be almost the same on the surface. Consequently, this entire area is now a death trap for the Allied navies, as it can already be seen : British TPs don't even reach Dakar now before being destroyed or obliged to retreat to England.
I will keep the U-boat on convoy raiding mission. But I am disappointed to see that these 6 flotillas of U-Boats have lost so much org in one raid after having spent weeks to recover their previous losses (I needed them for the ongoing operation)

How many Sub Flotillas do you have at this point? Did you consider sending them to a Japanese port and blockading Vladivostok from there? To me, it seems more important to stop the Russian oil shipments then British supplies.

Just a thought; as you currently have control of the Regia Marina as well as the Italian Army, have you decided where to send them, or are they currently engaged (or, heavens forbid, sitting at the bottom of the ocean)?

If they aren't busy, it seems to me that the Kriegsmarine has things rather contained in the B̶a̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ Slaughter of the Atlantic; if the Italians still have active surface action groups with Vittorio Veneto class battleships, maybe you could send them to launch operations in the Indian Ocean? I would imagine Italian East Africa has a servicable port for such, and if not, maybe an Italian corps or so could be persuaded to take bases in the Southern Arabian states. If things are too chilly for Stumpff in the Faroes, maybe he'd like a nice warm winter vacation in the Seychelles or Dubai?

Methinks if the Indians can be cut off from resource exchange, it might make them squishier. Nabbing the ANZACs and the British ground reinforcements could be good for the Japanese and the Persian Fronts. Plus... worse comes to worse, you can shore bombard in desperation.

Maybe it'd keep the NAVs off the Graf Spee in the meantime, and give the old boat something to do. Perhaps the unused Axis carriers Graf Spee and Aquila could finally do something useful and at least give a bit of air cover to someone.

Reactions:
No, the settings are totally different from what happened IRL.
With the control of the islands in the Atlantic, and the control of the western African coast from Morocco down to the gulf of Guinea, the Axis has total air superiority along thousands of miles of sea lanes, and now that the Kriegsmarine is heading south it will be almost the same on the surface. Consequently, this entire area is now a death trap for the Allied navies, as it can already be seen : British TPs don't even reach Dakar now before being destroyed or obliged to retreat to England.
I will keep the U-boat on convoy raiding mission. But I am disappointed to see that these 6 flotillas of U-Boats have lost so much org in one raid after having spent weeks to recover their previous losses (I needed them for the ongoing operation)
Ah sorry I forgot about the island net.

Just a thought; as you currently have control of the Regia Marina as well as the Italian Army, have you decided where to send them, or are they currently engaged (or, heavens forbid, sitting at the bottom of the ocean)?

If they aren't busy, it seems to me that the Kriegsmarine has things rather contained in the B̶a̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ Slaughter of the Atlantic; if the Italians still have active surface action groups with Vittorio Veneto class battleships, maybe you could send them to launch operations in the Indian Ocean? I would imagine Italian East Africa has a servicable port for such, and if not, maybe an Italian corps or so could be persuaded to take bases in the Southern Arabian states. If things are too chilly for Stumpff in the Faroes, maybe he'd like a nice warm winter vacation in the Seychelles or Dubai?

Methinks if the Indians can be cut off from resource exchange, it might make them squishier. Nabbing the ANZACs and the British ground reinforcements could be good for the Japanese and the Persian Fronts. Plus... worse comes to worse, you can shore bombard in desperation.

Maybe it'd keep the NAVs off the Graf Spee in the meantime, and give the old boat something to do. Perhaps the unused Axis carriers Graf Spee and Aquila could finally do something useful and at least give a bit of air cover to someone.
This could work, at the very least we can keep Benny from wasting his ships.

How many Sub Flotillas do you have at this point? Did you consider sending them to a Japanese port and blockading Vladivostok from there? To me, it seems more important to stop the Russian oil shipments then British supplies.
Oh yes, I considered that, for exactly the same reason that you provided. I have 23 SUBs and I would have sent 12 of them to disrupt any shipping to Vladivostok, but I have 0% chance to ask military access to Japan. I want to avoid as much as I can using "Accept all" in this AAR. I did it once because the lack of supply to the Atlantic islands was game breaking, but I would rather not doing it again.

The Italian navy received a bloody nose during the first months of the war, but they didn't lose more than 3 CAs and 1 CVE; everything else was Cl, DD and TPs. So it still has its big guns available. Except I guess for doctrines, the Regia Marina is now a serious match to what is left of the Royal Navy, the more since I took control of it.

The plan of yours is a very good one, but I already have lots of units being redeployed/rebased for Tiefschlag. I can't have 2 major actions (Eastern front aside) developing.

Regarding the Graf Spee... she is not functional. She has no planes, and the best technology the Reich has is CAG34 since it has so many other priorities (don't forget that I have a tech malus as well with this mod)

Oh yes, I considered that, for exactly the same reason that you provided. I have 23 SUBs and I would have sent 12 of them to disrupt any shipping to Vladivostok, but I have 0% chance to ask military access to Japan. I want to avoid as much as I can using "Accept all" in this AAR. I did it once because the lack of supply to the Atlantic islands was game breaking, but I would rather not doing it again.
Ah sorry, I forgot the you're not allied and have no access - what a pity :(

Considering the insane winter-boni the soviets get in this mod it might be time for an orderly retreat to a well defensible (high infra, rivers, even forts) position. By orderly i mean scorced earth, while still counter attacking, using the Luftwaffe to pound the enemy. Trashing infra should have a priority in winter. Tacs, maybe even build some V-weapons. I often build infra along the lines I expect to be my "retreat" in winter. If you are really daring you might even have some "spare" troops of your allies to temporarily crash the texas oil fields to stop soviet stockpiling.

You look incredibly doomed at this point. Hrm.

I mean, how does Sucker Punch solve your actual problem, which is the Russians?

Do their "spam infantry and armor as if they have the breeding cycle of flies" events ever stop?

Considering the insane winter-boni the soviets get in this mod it might be time for an orderly retreat to a well defensible (high infra, rivers, even forts) position. By orderly i mean scorced earth, while still counter attacking, using the Luftwaffe to pound the enemy. Trashing infra should have a priority in winter. Tacs, maybe even build some V-weapons. I often build infra along the lines I expect to be my "retreat" in winter. If you are really daring you might even have some "spare" troops of your allies to temporarily crash the texas oil fields to stop soviet stockpiling.
German soldiers will stand their ground! :p No retreat will be allowed!
More seriously, I won't do that even if I understand your point of view. Let's start with what won't work: I don't have V-weapons, nor have I built infra behind me (Victory was supposed to have happened before winter :eek:) and anyway infra in occupied province is still being rebuilt. If I had built infra (which take 8 months to complete!), it would have been where I would have planned major hedgehogs with good airbases, .
German soldiers will have to endure the full Russian winter, with no adapted equipment! Also, retreating would expose my troops to deadly air strikes, as can be seen in some updates. Finally, an orderly retreat would force me to give back the Caucasus. Niet!

You look incredibly doomed at this point. Hrm.

I mean, how does Sucker Punch solve your actual problem, which is the Russians?

Do their "spam infantry and armor as if they have the breeding cycle of flies" events ever stop?
What a change of tone compared to when people wrote less than a month ago in-game that "(they) couldn't see how I could lose at this point" :D

I think ( I am not 100% sure) that the ARM spamming is over. I am not so sure regarding the INFs.

At this point, I have not 1 but several problems:

-East front: obviously the biggest one but even if I expect a painful winter, I don't think that it will collapse because movements will be slowed for the Soviets as well. That's why I took the risk of removing some units there.

-Africa: IMO, it is only a matter of time before it will be entirely occupied and that South Africa will become an affiliate.

-Air activity over western Europe: a pain, as I have to allocate lots of resources to repair the damaged units of the Luftwaffe, but that's only a nuisance so far as long as the Allies don't pull an early D-Day out.

-Technology: I am losing the race and there is nothing that I can do. Also my IC is not high enough to fully fund the teams without allocating more to consumer goods than otherwise required.

-Middle East: the Allies have the potential to send up to 60-70 divisions to the Iraqi border. If they do, the front there won't collapse, it will simply vanish. As a result, I will lose Caucasus and Suez and I will have to face the entire Red Army and these other divisions. Until this threat is removed, I won't be able to focus on the East front with all the forces which should be allocated to it, and if I don't remove it before spring then I will have to face the Red Army's assault with a weakened OOB.

Reactions:
Does some surrender event fire for the Western Allies of England falls, though?

So knocking out England gives you more IC, but it doesn't stop the Indian units already there. I suppose they would be de minimis, and England as a puppet can draw troops...

Plus whatever supplies London has. Those might be worth it. Hrm.