• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry Mosby, I must admit I was/am cheering for the AI/Germans. I got a real rush while reading the last 3 updates hoping that your forces would get owned by the them. And owned they where :D

Nothing personal though, just hoping that the AI will put up a good fight :)

Great AAR!

Last edited:
Two months, for game that has been in production for... year?, isn't long enough?

I'm not criticizing PI. I was just surprised that it hit a 100%. Memory leaks are the most likely culprit and they usually will get plugged just fine. If it is memory reserved for pointers and other allocated processes then all I can say is WOW they are pushing the envelope. By "late date" I am assuming a 3-4 week time frame to process boxed versions for retail stores. Therefore the game should go "gold" any day. However I forgot that this AAR is based on a beta two months out of date. So PI has had plenty of time to reduce CPU utilization. In any case as I said. I am sure PI will resolve this just fine.

Great that the AI can pull off encirclements!

I have some questions concerning the map and the gameplay in respect of terrain features.

1. How does "rivercrossing" work (offense/defense) with the rivers apparently not beeing located between provinces but sometimes going straight through...
how do you know your troops are safely behind that river for example?

2. I take it (considering your comments on Pripjet) that the terrain type "swamp/marsh" is not in your early version?!

3. How does the map play/feel concerning terrain?
Is the terraintype of the area apperent at one glance or do you have to select the province to be sure about the terrain?
(In the screenshots the map looks rather bland greenish grey with a sprinkling of trees etc. but it could of course be different if you are actualy inthe game.)

4. Is there a terrain map mode/ overlay?
(In HoI2 that map mode was rather vital...)

In any case thanks for providing the only interesting source on this game since the Dev-Diaries ended!

Compared to this AAR all the measly "previews- some even called reviews" had nothing new to offer sofar.

2qapqnk.jpg

Funny, I only now see Kesselring was there when the Kessel was snuffed out :D

Perhaps you could do me a favour - could you let us have a look at how the sources of leadership are distributed between the major countries, since this may prove to be the most important resource for a "builder" type player like me?

How could I show you this part of the game, you want to know about the amount of Leadership points major nations can spend?

Sorry Mosby, I must admit I was/am cheering for the AI/Germans. I got a real rush while reading the last 3 updates hoping that your forces would get owned by the them. And owned they where :D

Even more awesome considering I outnumber them....only during our first weeks of play we will really find out how good the AI actually is but it certainly looks promissing.

Great that the AI can pull off encirclements!

I have some questions concerning the map and the gameplay in respect of terrain features.

1. How does "rivercrossing" work (offense/defense) with the rivers apparently not beeing located between provinces but sometimes going straight through...

2. I take it (considering your comments on Pripjet) that the terrain type "swamp/marsh" is not in your early version?!

3. How does the map play/feel concerning terrain?
Is the terraintype of the area apperent at one glance or do you have to select the province to be sure about the terrain?
(In the screenshots the map looks rather bland greenish grey with a sprinkling of trees etc. but it could of course be different if you are actualy inthe game.)

4. Is there a terrain map mode/ overlay?
(In HoI2 that map mode was rather vital...)

1. No idea....guess we will have to wait for the manual for that bit. If a river is on the edge of a province you will get the HOI2 bonus.

2. No, but I guess the final version can't be without it

3. I have to say itis all a bit too blend for me in this area. I would have liked a little bit more 'diversity' with the mountains really comming 'out of the map' like in EU3 and really depicted as harsh terrain. The desert really being very sandy colored and the marshes...o wait, they aren't there yet.

4. Yep, most of the sprite pics I posted were made using that map mode.

It was said somewhere that you get a river bonus (or penalty) if the river crosses the line between the centers of two provinces in question.

Doesnt it say in the province "details" (when you click on the province) which provinces it has rivercrossings with?

Nice updates Singleton Mosby! Just one addition questions concerning terrain: Do you feel like terrain really has a realistic influence on the progress/outcome of a battle?

I'm not criticizing PI. I was just surprised that it hit a 100%. Memory leaks are the most likely culprit and they usually will get plugged just fine. If it is memory reserved for pointers and other allocated processes then all I can say is WOW they are pushing the envelope. By "late date" I am assuming a 3-4 week time frame to process boxed versions for retail stores. Therefore the game should go "gold" any day. However I forgot that this AAR is based on a beta two months out of date. So PI has had plenty of time to reduce CPU utilization. In any case as I said. I am sure PI will resolve this just fine.

It is very common for games to use 100% of the CPU, though. Pushing the CPU to 100% isn't a problem for games at all. Depending on the design of the game, (in particular the AI) every CPU cycle not used might well be a wasted CPU cycle.

It is very common for games to use 100% of the CPU, though. Pushing the CPU to 100% isn't a problem for games at all. Depending on the design of the game, (in particular the AI) every CPU cycle not used might well be a wasted CPU cycle.
Let's see if the engine can use 100% of several cores.

I don't have a link, I just could have sworn in a follow-up to something they said that it would support them.

How could I show you this part of the game, you want to know about the amount of Leadership points major nations can spend?

I thought they were asking about how much each of the majors had for leadership. I presume the USA will have far more then any other country :rolleyes:.

It was good to see you getting encircled, but has 70k troops lost caused a dent in your forces? I'm a little confused about the scale of some of the fights coming from HoI2 and more recently EUIII.

The screenshot of your German efforts looked like an absolute disaster, but is slightly worrying that it might still be possible to Blitzkreg the Germans (as the Soviets) at the the start of Barbarosa if you start in '36.

didnt king or johan already confirm that?
I believe it's been "mentioned" in som context that the game will run fine on multicore. Nothing has been said about utilizing multicore.

It shouldn't be. CPUs are designed to be best around 60-80% utilization. After that think of it like an interstate/autobahn in rush hour traffic. Max them out and the net result is problems, slowdowns, etc...

So, Singleton Mosby, can you tell if the game supports multicore?

I thought EUIII used the same engine? If so does anyone know if it is multithreaded?

[
Out of 70.000 defenders in the Parechcha pocket 15.000 died in combat. The HQ’s of the 6th and 13th mechanized would never command their divisions again. Divisions, which were now, not only spend but low on morale as well. They had failed.

Of the 55k remaining, I assume they were all wiped out as well, you just didn't get any notice that you lost 55k men?​

It shouldn't be. CPUs are designed to be best around 60-80% utilization. After that think of it like an interstate/autobahn in rush hour traffic. Max them out and the net result is problems, slowdowns, etc...

A CPU might lose responsiveness if it's already at max, since it's a sign that it can't keep up with demand. But it's certainly doing more computation at 100% utilization than 80% (unlike an interstate).

Yes please, that was what I meant. Of course, I am aware that it's a beta, and the detailed data is subject to change...
As an aside, considering how much I am itching to get my hands on the game, anything you can reveal is welcome. In particular if it's as impressive as the AI's performance :)