• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I add my vote to the split screen idea, but I wonder if it should be moved to a new thread to see what everyone else thinks.

I'm seconding the split screen as well, and, in all honesty, if this thread doesn't convince them that the split screen idea is a good one, nothing will.

I LOVE the idea of the "need" button! That alone is worth the upgrade to HoI3!

As for the detailed "you are being attacked" messages, instantly listing the full strength of the enemy in terms of total manpower and number of brigades seems like a great idea at first, but, upon reflection, it seems a bit... wrong. I know in HoI2 you could see the same information once a battle started, including specifics about enemy divisions, but shouldn't that kind of information be linked to intelligence, or failing that gradually revealed over time?

I'm sure you would instantly know the difference between being attacked by 1,000 men and being attacked by 50,000, but even if you know the enemy has, say, 5 divisions bordering you, it would not be instantly apparent that exactly 'x' number of troops in 'x' brigades are being thrown at you. Barring knowledge of an impending attack, this sort of information would only become apparent as the attack plays itself out and reports filter up to high command about precise enemy movements and numbers.

Very late to be suggesting a feature change, but it would seem entirely logical to tie such information to the intelligence system. Without strong intelligence, all that should be known at the start of a battle, particularily on the defensive, is how strong the enemy seems in relation to your own forces. Listing information about your own forces is a very cool idea, but it should take either intelligence work, or, failing that, a bit of time, to determine exactly how strong your enemy is.

Intelligence seems like such an important, and cool, feature of the new game that it seems a shame for it to stop being so important a factor once the battles start.

For illustration, it could look something like this>>
2eygi1t.jpg

instead of the Johan's>>
beta_may20_9.jpg
Great improvement! I approve this message ;)

Looking great so far guys. Cannot wait until release!

Btw i too approve of the above screenshot. Presentation is key when it comes to a game with this amount of detail. I'm sure you will agree.

These ideas should all add up to make HoI3 a lot better than HoI2 and I would really hope that Gixian's great idea of the columns in the battle pop up would be included as well.

ok you are just talking about buttons and other "windows" but i think there is need to think about REAL economy system (i know this is strategy game but have ever seen good strategy without good economy system? )

I would be very nice to implement something like that:

- there should be more resources you should add something like ammo, food etc.

- so think about system of building ships (ships should be built in dockyards - more dokcyards you have more ships at one time you can build, for example for germany you can'not build 4 bismarck's at one time because you have only 2 dockyards so big to build this ships Kiel and Hamburg for example), if you like to build bigger dockyard or more of them then you can upgrade, in the production you should see where are they built

- overall strenght of air force should be not in % but in real numbers of planes, then you could see the results of all air battles (for example after air battle of britain you should see how many planes you have lost in the statistics)

i think this is not hard to programm this in this game

You should merge all the good ideas from your past games (for expample Victoria)

Economy micromenagement a'la Victoria would be horrible without a very competent AI handling the procurement of resources and all. Victoria was endlessly annoying because you couldn't let the AI auto-trade at the start (or it would just bankrupt you) and it definitely required a huge amount of completely un-needed micromenagement (splitting pops?!?).

After trying out Victoria, I much prefer a simpler model not requiring personally micromenaging everything in a wargame. You know, just let Speer handle that bit while I focus on the war? :)

so i see you prefer the game like "produce as much as you can (but you can't decide how you industey will work) and go to war"

yes very nice

We don't need pop's to see the demands to some industrial products......

i like when the economy is more advanced than only IC marker...

ok you are just talking about buttons and other "windows" but i think there is need to think about REAL economy system (i know this is strategy game but have ever seen good strategy without good economy system? )

I would be very nice to implement something like that:

- there should be more resources you should add something like ammo, food etc.

- so think about system of building ships (ships should be built in dockyards - more dokcyards you have more ships at one time you can build, for example for germany you can'not build 4 bismarck's at one time because you have only 2 dockyards so big to build this ships Kiel and Hamburg for example), if you like to build bigger dockyard or more of them then you can upgrade, in the production you should see where are they built

- overall strenght of air force should be not in % but in real numbers of planes, then you could see the results of all air battles (for example after air battle of britain you should see how many planes you have lost in the statistics)

i think this is not hard to programm this in this game

You should merge all the good ideas from your past games (for expample Victoria)

I agree about ship-building capacity being tied to the number of shipyards.

I look forward to Vicky 2 because that would be the game where everything PI have learnt in all their previous games can come together. Vicky is a broader game than both EU and HoI series because it straddles economics, politics, industrial development, diplomacy, imperialism, colonialism, religion (abit) and strategic warfare. HoI is mainly about strategic warfare. EU's quite broad too but mostly for religion, warfare and economics.

Vicky 2 could probably incorporate all the advances in PI's last few new games (even Rome).

Last edited:
vote Split Screen

Very interesting, as usual :)

There are a lot of informations displayed, especially the alerts, in the outliner, etc.
May I suggest that in options we could say if we want them displayed or not ? The outliner, particularly, will be enormous. I've regularly a few hundreds units in HoI2 and I may not wish to see all terrestrial units but maybe only air units (in an ideal life I would also be able to sort by armored or infantry units but let us be simple :eek:o ). Some alerts too could be less useful han others and maybe repetitive (no, I've no example but I guess it could happen, in EU:Rome some were).
So my request is : for each type of info on the screen allow me to let it be displayed or not :cool:

Very interesting, as usual :)
So my request is : for each type of info on the screen allow me to let it be displayed or not :cool:

I think Johan has said that all these things are simply message settings, just like in the current HoI2.

Everything looks great and I can’t wait when the game will be available. Just one comment about the battle (description) statistic window.

It seems to me to be a little strange that an enemy has such detail information about its opponent. How can he know the exact number of men, brigades, units etc.?