• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Sir, in the first nine years, you have expanded from from one province to nine. That's a gain of eight provinces. If you continue at this pace, you will gain less than 400 provinces, which I am sure is too few to conquer the world. I hope that you plan on an increased pace as time goes by?"

Hehe

Well Norgesvennen, the puns were intended;)

Oh sorry teacher, I was just telling Norgesvennen to shut up and pay attention. Wasting the class'es time with gibberish? Not me sir. No way.

*whack*

*ouch*

My only concern is that in hyper-"inflationary" environments (more than 100%), the AI will be crippled (except the ones sitting on gold mines). If Professor Ebbesen's reasearch indicates this not to be the case as a practical matter, then I withdraw my comments.

As to strat, there are a gaggle of close, primitively defended CoTs in the Arabian/Persian Theatre. On the other hand, the italian, slavonic and greek provinces (plus the other SE Europe CB-shielded provinces) are fairly rich, but I'd hold off on annexing the pope anytime soon.

Inflation

Ok, I survived the first century, downloaded EUReader (thanks Jos) and did some serious inflation study.

My own inflation had passed 100%

Several other nations were in the 50%-70% bracket, though many were lower.

Only the Aztecs and the Inca's were my inflationary rivals.

France had inflation of 13%.

My conclusion is that the AI nations are not tied very tightly to my inflation. Therefore I will not be modifying the inflation whatsoever.

(And France terrifies me. Huge, capable of monopolies (which I won't be for decades yet), at peace with England, allied with Castile (didn't turn into Spain) and with land tech 10 vs my 2. I am definitely keeping a low profile. Well, low is relative, if you know what I mean. I do want to end up conquering the world, or as much as possible, after all).

Next installment coming pretty soon.

------------------------------------

And Maur, I couldn't see your screenshots, but it sounds like very good homework, though slightly lucky with the Ottoman-Byzantine timing. And I have been regretting my powerstart over the last few decades game wise. Everything is so bloody expensive. Merchants at 14 or 22 ducats apiece drains cash like there is no tomorrow.

Rictus! Sometimes a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do. This is one of the times. So get going, so to speak. (And it will take time for BB to catch me. I am retaking core provinces, remember? Even annexing a one province muslim nation only costs one BB point.)

Lionheart: No resetting of inflation, no fabrication of CB shields, no increasing of treasury, and no mention of waterfalls when Rictus is near.

Norgesvenn?
You called?
Mimir?
Me me me!

WHACK!
BOP!
CRUNCH!
WHAP-WHAP-WHAP!

Ouch
Ouch

Nothing like a bit of exercise. Bandages can be collected after class.

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
*Puts his feet comfy on the table and asks:
Dude, is that the best u can do, 100%? :D*

Get your feet off that table, young man! Wait a moment. What did you say?

Dude? DUDE? DUDE!?"!?¤#¤!¤?

WHACK-SLICE-GRIND-GRIND-GRIND
Owww. My *deleted*. You grated my *deleted* and *deleted* with the big *deleted* *deleted*.

Serves you right. A *deleted* is a teacher's best friend. Nothing like cutting, or in this case, grating, a student down to size.

And that was 100% by year 1500. I know that certain young scalliwags with no morals and less sense have, stealing valuable time on the simulators, achived a rather higher inflation in shorter time. That, however, is nothing to be proud off!

And, Mimir?
Yes?

WHACK!
Ouch

France will be left alone only temporarily.

Installment the second

Greetings, Class.

As you clearly remember we left off after having reduced the Byzantines and the Ottomans to one province each. Trebizond, while grown to nine provinces, was struggling under a heavy financial burden with awful inflation. Now follow closely, and see how we get a multiple choice question: Do we support Byzantine dissidents, or not. Seing as how those Byzantines are the focus of our aggression, the answer is obviously not. These choices will not always be so easy

And, whoops. Did you hear that? Our puppet just bit the dust. Thankfully a successor, Ioannes IV Kommenos, is ready to take over as chief puppet of Trebizond. Keep that in mind: Always have the succession planned. There is nothing worse than a struggle for succession, save it be a struggle that deteriorates into civil war.

Notice how I just got the option to change domestic policies again? One order, and thousands of peasants are enserfed, you've got to love that feeling. Of course, stability took another hit, and is now at zero, which is not too good. Remember the rule:

All else being equal, Keep Stability Up

Now all else is seldom equal, but even so one should attempt to keep the country as stable as possible. The other way lies chaos, disruption, revolution, and anarchy. Which is a bad thing, when you are the one suffering from it.

Ah, 1430. We can declared war on the Ottomans again without breaking a truce. Great, and the Knights join the war. Let's march on Anatolia.... Ahem. Bankrupt again, I see. And our army, fighting with lower morale, has just been slaughtered by the Ottomans? These things happen. Nothing to do but soldier on, raise more troops, and try again. See! Less than a year later Anatolia falls, but, unfortunately, the Ottomans control one of Karamon's provinces. We'll just have to wait to annex them till they lose control of that province because in this simulation, you can only outright annex when the enemy is reduced to one province, and doesn't control anything. A bit harsh, but it is better to take your lumps in training, than when you are in the heat of battle on some weird planet, wondering why the Zashirieb Tribe of A'Slitanters won't be annexed by the Pollidodo Tribe of A'Banananananas, as happened to a now deceased student of mine. (But he was a bad student, so it is no particular loss.)

This, of course, is when the peasantry gets unhappy enough to revolt slightly. These things happen. Combined with our low stability this guarantees a few revolts, but only a few, because the Ottomans have now made peace with Karamon, so they can be annexed. Annexing another nation is such a positive event, that internal stability rises. Yep, being a warmonger helps!

And see, 1434-1435, one year, sees the end of the defunct Byzantine Empire. Of course, another of those annoying random events does reduce stability to -2, but so what? Now we can choose to become Byzantium taking over the claims of the Eastern Empire, and so we do: We loudly inform everyone that we will now Restore the Roman Empire, and move the Capital to Thrace. Right on. And it only takes two years after this to reach stab 3.

OK, we have plenty of enemies and 28,000 men. Let them do some marching. Karamon and Candar are in alliance, they are our neighbours, and if we let them be, they will probably attack us when we least expect it. So Karamon receives a declaration of war and 20,000 visitors, while the remaining 8,000 men cross the border into undefended Candar.

This of course, is when the court is hit by a corruption scandal. Unauthorised corruption must be eliminated, unless the country is too unstable to suffer the loss of stability caused by vigorous countermeasures. This not being the case presently, we choose to eradicate. This forces a loan, unfortunately, but so be it. Our inflation is already more than 50% after all.

And boy, do we have a hard choice coming up. After a lengthy council in Florence, we have the option to change religion to Catholic. This is a once in the simulation opportunity, I tell you. But us consider the advantages and disadvantages of going catholic before I choose.

Disadvantages
All our current 11 provinces are Orthodox. If we change state religion it will become very expensive (150% more expensive to be precise) to regain stability. We will have to invest a lot of money over a long time to convert all of the provinces to the Catholic faith.

Secondly, our relations with the Orthodox nations will deteriorate.

Thirdly, this is a very innovative choice, and will for a very long time make the population less narrowminded. We really don't want to open the populations mind's as a whole too much.

Advantages
Supporting and with the support of the Catholic church, we will strengthen our diplomatic corps significantly.

Secondly, our relations with the catholic countries attending the council will improve.

Thirdly, most of the European countries, including all the larges ones, are Catholic.

Fourthly, our remaining core provinces are either muslim or catholic. Whereas there are many orthodox provinces, there are far more catholic ones, and they are in the richer parts of the world.

Fifthly, the catholic church is better at missionary activity reflected by an increased number of diplomats simulation-wise. While not important now, in time, as our conquest grows, it will be.

Therefore I choose going Catholic, although it will enforce a few decades of very peaceful coexistance with our neighbours, as the country recovers.

(Well not too peaceful. Despite stability at -3, let us just annex Candar, and regain a bit. But see what it costs to raise stability? 860 - it will take us years to regain stability at this rate. Let us not take too many more muslim provinces, we really can't afford it. So let us vassalise Karamon rather than take its territory.)

And while putting all our income into stability we still have this army to exercise. Why not attack Ak Koyunlu? While it certainly isn't worth the effort to take all the provinces, there is one, in particular, which I have set my eyes on. Any guesses, class?

Good guess, Norgesvenn. Armenia it is. And see how I deftly outmaneouvre the armies of Ak Koyunlu until I can crush them in my home province of Trabzon, and how, less than a year later, by July 1442, Armenia and 30 ducats are ours. A short victorious war. Our army, it seems, is down to 15,000 men but notice that none of our neighbours are particularly dangerous. They are either small or engaged in their own wars. This is a good time to recover... And grant export licenses, apparently. Yet another example of how things beyond your control can drain your treasury or ruin your day. But no worries. Due to continous minting we have plenty of money on hand. We will need it to convert our provinces. Well, obviously not the capital at 1000+ ducats (what a price tag) but the lesser populated provinces surely.

Yet another emperor bites the dust. But no reason to worry. The heir, Konstantine XI, is a better administrator than his predecessor. How fortunate that we have been saving money for five years. Let's do some converting, and remember to enserf some more peasants next year. On conversion, there are two conflicting theories:

Convert state-cultured provinces first

and

Convert provinces with high stability cost first

The first theory will maximize the chances of success, the second the ultimate gain. I would advise against sticking strictly to the one or the other. A balanced approach is, in the long run, the better. In this particular instance, however, given that we need a core of state-religion provinces, I will follow the first.

And so we begin converting. And so does the Duchy of Athens. But that's good, since they are also catholic. Now, if only our income was greater.
258893216.jpg

Notice how there are good random events as well as bad? I know that some of you smartasses felt vindicated when I suffered Non-enforcement of Ordinances in 1449, but see, new land claimed: Angora in 1550, and a generous gift to the state in 1552, in the long run they tend to even out. Alright, that is strictly speaking a lie. The second law of thermodynamics rules random events.

In the long run, it will all turn into porridge

Case in point. The able emperor Konstantine only got to rule for five years. His successor, Demetrios, is a complete idiot. The conversion programs started under Konstantine are finally ending now. Hopefully the brainwashing went well.

And, by the penultimate principle, it did! We converted Rumelia, Kastamonu, Trabzon, Macedonia, Smyrna, Bulgaria and Morea, and failed only in Ionia. This is slightly better than expected since the succes percentage was estimated in the sixties per province. But let us not complain about good luck.

Or bad. Ak Koyunlu and their good ally Dulkadir is back for round two come 1458. And the armies of Ak Koyunlu are led by a superior general, Usum Hasan, at 5/4/5 (I trust you are up to specifications as used in this simulation?) a scary enemy indeed.... As demonstrated when he just crushed and eliminated our main army there. Notice how even our cavalry was slaughtered because of his superior maneuverability. Learn that lesson well. I am busy recruiting new armies, and enjoying this exceptional year. Bad luck - good luck, as I said. Let me just enserf the last peasants, and I am happy again.

Another multiple choice! Stay catholic or return to the orthodox faith? A no-brainer, really. The previous arguments still stand, and we have already suffered much of the pain, so why abandon it now? Ok, we will take a serious stability hit, because a large part of the population (including the people of the capital!) remain orthodox, but that is but a temporary problem.

But that damn Usum Hasan is getting on my nerves. We can't afford to lose armies at this rate without getting anything in return. Fortunately he only wants our entire treasury of 61 ducats for peace. Since that is equivalent to 6,000 infantrymen, it is a bargain. Let us make peace and wait until he dies of old age!

And that concludes todays lesson in World Conquest. We end this lesson in June, 1461. Though few conquests were achieved, you got a good look at frontline crisis management, which is an essential skill for any would-be conqueror.

The next lesson will focus on the single most important problem facing us now: How to increase our revenue.

Last edited:
*Teacher. Is there a homework assignment tonight?*

Originally posted by MrT
*Teacher. Is there a homework assignment tonight?*

Calculate how long time it takes to reach Trade3 at approximately 25,000-30,000 ducats worth of research with the current surplus of something like 10-15 ducats per month, when taking into consideration an average administrative value of say 6, the frequent unhappiness amongst the merchants events, and the fact that at least half of the time will be spent regaining stability. Adjust for rising inflation and an ever more narrowminded approach to life.

When you have done this calculation, realise why the next lesson is on 'how to increase revenue'.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
*brown-nosing*

I would calculate that at 282.6639 years.:)

Hmmm...

Possible Solution #1:
Cede all provinces but your capital, thus greatly increasing research speed.
Problems with Possible Solution #1:
Quite incompatible with stated goal of world conquest.

Possible Solution #2:
Conquer Venice and/or Alexandria.
Problems with Possible Solution #2:
None really...

(do we have to show our work for this assignment?)

Hmm, and I got 138.06706114398. One of us must be wrong ;) In any case, I do concur. The taking of a Center of Trade is quite important, though you could always go for Astrakhan, or even Samarkand rather than the others, as land in that area comes at a smaller price due to their somewhat backwards technology.