• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

killcreak

First Lieutenant
26 Badges
Nov 23, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Year is 897 and I am watching my liege being obliterated by a 17k host. At his time only Byz and Arabs had any chance vs. such a mass. It's just out of proportion.

If it were Byz getting adventured, the host would be around twice their numbers. Yes, adventurers are OP. Known fact, and it seems devs don't care... or it's in the works. The suggested solution is to assassinate them if you're the overliege or, if your territory is the target of the host but your liege is the one getting pounded, well, bad luck.

There are plenty of game mechanics that do not allow you to assassinate them.

1.) Too far away.
2.) Temporary Titles. You can't assassinate him if his liege holds one.
3.) Some awful 3rd grade spawn of a 2 counties emperor. Why not pay 350g for an attempt to kill some backwater idiot?
4.) It's your kin. This doesn't prevent you from doing it, but gaining a Kin Slayer trait just for that is nonsense. I'd also gladly land him, but if he's in a different country and won't accept my invitation, there's little I can do.

I bet there are more. But that's just about enough to know that this system sucks.

Just pay attention and you'll be able to beat them. Well not if you're unclucky and on your knees in a war, but a nation in piece time and full armies can simply catch the host. Look at the war, it'll start way before the army actually arrives, collect your noobs and wait. The host will arrive in 2 parts which should be destroyed seperately. Often the host attacks a coastal emirate, so you get extra defense bonusses.

I know the adventure army size is relevant to the nation he is attacking, the larger the empire the more troops he gets. But another factor should be depending where the host is coming from and how many claims he has and what type of claim.

For example if he comes from a 1-2 province minor he should definitely not be able to field a army of 10k or more. If he has a "Strong" claim on the empire or kingdom hes invading then of course it makes sense that alot of troops would flock to his banner to put him on the throne.

Just pay attention and you'll be able to beat them. Well not if you're unclucky and on your knees in a war, but a nation in piece time and full armies can simply catch the host. Look at the war, it'll start way before the army actually arrives, collect your noobs and wait. The host will arrive in 2 parts which should be destroyed seperately. Often the host attacks a coastal emirate, so you get extra defense bonusses.

Key word in the first post: "liege".

The hosts are a bit annoying but seeing as the combat system pretty much runs on just numbers they'd be totally nonconsequential otherwise. What annoys me more is that someone can prepare an invasion on me from my own court...

We really need a button to turn off adventurers/claimant hosts for those who do not wan't them, every single day there is a new thread where somebody whines about this.

We really need a button to turn off adventurers/claimant hosts for those who do not wan't them, every single day there is a new thread where somebody whines about this.
If they required foreign help (or traitors in your realm) there'd be no problem. The system just needs little tweaking, it's pretty cool in theory

...in theory...

Exactly. In fact, it is a broken mechanic that requires immense skill and luck to beat - your average CKII player often lacks either of the two.

Exactly. In fact, it is a broken mechanic that requires immense skill and luck to beat - your average CKII player often lacks either of the two.

And this doesn't mention the problems with its targeting the top liege--if you're playing as a vassal, good luck with being psychic.

I must be some great CK player because I never had a host army that was a thread to me. Mostly I just assassinate them before they start anything.

Adventures sizes are fine.Or better,were.
The levy mechanic changed with SoA if I recall correctly,but adventures size didn't.As you can guess,levy numbers before SoA were much higher.

pezito is right. and i have said this many times in this complaint thread that keeps getting re made with a different name.
Before the levy nerfs hosts were a joke and basically free 400g for banishing them.

The problem is levy nerfs. Did any of you guys play before SoA holy cow.

I must be some great CK player because I never had a host army that was a thread to me. Mostly I just assassinate them before they start anything.

You never faced a host army then. You assassinated the leaders before they launched their attack. Now go try that as a vassal.

Jerk.

The hosts are a bit annoying but seeing as the combat system pretty much runs on just numbers they'd be totally nonconsequential otherwise. What annoys me more is that someone can prepare an invasion on me from my own court...
It's a grand strategy game: the player should be able to focus their attention on getting the troops, and keeping their enemies from doing so.

Now mostly this amounts to raising taxes and saving gold for mercenaries. But theoretically, the potential for the game to be expanded to have a grand strategic depth is there.

Adventurers basically force the players to game the system to fight them off successfully unless they are truly huge and the AI has no way to deal with them except get really lucky.

There is no defending this mechanic in it's current form; it got a bit bad after the SOA levy nerf and then they buffed it during ROI for some stupid reason.

Hardly immense skill. I've never lost to an adventurer and whilst I'm an experienced CKII player I wouldn't claim to have immense skill.
More a matter of if you don't take commonsense precautions like keeping a cash reserve and/or have bad luck in when they hit you you're screwed.